PA specialty for someone with mobility issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElJamo17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking some pre-reqs for PA school.
My goal is to eventually work in dermatology. I wanted to work in surgery, but I think now that it is too much standing for me.
Unfortunately I have some issues with a previously shattered pelvis and 2 previously crushed vertebrae from a fall sustained when I was a child. I can move around well now, but I do have some chronic stiffness. When I get older, it's expected to get worse. I have to be realistic and prepare for the fact that I may be less mobile as an adult.
I am wondering what PA specialties are best for those who have slight mobility issues. Worst case scenario, I may have issues standing all day when I get older.
What is radiology like?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking some pre-reqs for PA school.
My goal is to eventually work in dermatology. I wanted to work in surgery, but I think now that it is too much standing for me.
Unfortunately I have some issues with a previously shattered pelvis and 2 previously crushed vertebrae from a fall sustained when I was a child. I can move around well now, but I do have some chronic stiffness. When I get older, it's expected to get worse. I have to be realistic and prepare for the fact that I may be less mobile as an adult.
I am wondering what PA specialties are best for those who have slight mobility issues. Worst case scenario, I may have issues standing all day when I get older.
What is radiology like?
Thanks!

You would probably be doing procedures which is still on your feet. You wouldn't be "reading films" unless something changed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yeah, psych, if you can land a job doing that since its dominated by NPs, especially in NP independent practice states. But I don't imagine it's impossible by any means. I don't know any psych PAs, but I'm certain they are out there, and can probably do quite well. I would set your sights on that if you have mobility issues, because apart from that role, any work that a physician would have you doing would probably involve not only some occasional leaning and crouching at least, but definately quite a bit of walking is a given. The walking around part between exam rooms and rushing from patient to patient might be more difficult in the long run than actions such as leaning in to listen with your stethoscope, or crouching to look at an appendage. In psyche, it's not unheard of for the patients are brought to you, but that's not a given if you want to be as efficient as you can. The key will be finding the right physician to work for that will accomodate you. When folks are paying you lots of money they make the rules, and can be pretty critical of even little stuff.

The folks who trained for over ten years get to look at films and pathology slides all day, and even in the case of radiologists, any of the interventional radiology folks are doing procedures that involve some contortions. And IF there was a role for a PA, you can be certain it would be to do work that the physicians don't want to do.

So I kind of feel it's psyche or nothing, with even psyche requiring you to move. I shadowed a derm PA, and they do a lot of crouching, leaning, walking, procedures, etc, maybe more than many other medical PAs.