PA School Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tahlia8906

tahlia8906
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am 19 yrs old currently in my 3rd year of college pursuing my Bachelor's degree in Biology. Current GPA is about 3.4. I am very interested in the PA career and have a few questions on how to get there and wondering what my chances are looking like.

My concern is about the health-care experience that will help me out. What kind of jobs would look good when applying? Something like a nurses aid? Im not exactly sure what is best so if anyone has any answers, I would greatly appreciate it! :)

I havent taken my GRE yet, but preparing for it. Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Please run a search either here or on the PA forum (www.physicianassistantforum.com) and you will find a ton of information that answers your questions about the profession, experience, and the GRE.

Good Luck.

Wow 19 and third year...very impressive. I agree with the above post, you should probably do some research on your own, but in California, most schools require that you have a Bachelors degree and about 1000-2000 hours of paid or unpaid experience in a hospital. In addition, a lot of registered nurses pursue a PA certificate or degree after working for a while. Some other things that are required is basically the same pre-req classes that you need for nursing: Anatomy, Physiology, Into to chem/Intro to biochem/o-chem, Stats, Nutrition, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank You! I'm applying this fall -- need to get some hands on experience and hopefully I will be good to go!

Daggum is incorrect about the pre-reqs.

You will not be accepted if you take the courses designed for RN students. Intro to Chem, O-chem, etc...is not what you have to take. The pre-reqs for PA school are very similar to that for medical school. To be competitive, you need to take Gen. Chem I & II, Organic Chem I & II, Biochem I & II, Genetics, A & P I & II, Microbiology, ....you get the picture. Really the only difference between applying to MD or PA school is the MCAT. Otherwise..same pre-reqs. If the class is called "Intro to.." don't waste your time, the admissions committee won't recognize it.

Daggum is incorrect about the pre-reqs.

You will not be accepted if you take the courses designed for RN students. Intro to Chem, O-chem, etc...is not what you have to take. The pre-reqs for PA school are very similar to that for medical school. To be competitive, you need to take Gen. Chem I & II, Organic Chem I & II, Biochem I & II, Genetics, A & P I & II, Microbiology, ....you get the picture. Really the only difference between applying to MD or PA school is the MCAT. Otherwise..same pre-reqs. If the class is called "Intro to.." don't waste your time, the admissions committee won't recognize it.

check the prereqs for any program you are interested in. lots of programs don't require ochem or biochem although micro, gen chem, gen bio, and a+p are almost universal prereqs.

check the prereqs for any program you are interested in. lots of programs don't require ochem or biochem although micro, gen chem, gen bio, and a+p are almost universal prereqs.
True enough not all PA programs require the more advanced courses. But you should take them if you want rise above your competitors. Especialy Organic I & II and at least Biochem I.

Hey guys I'm seeking advice applying to PA programs. I just graduated with my psychology BS and finished all the pre-reqs and took plenty of science classes (bio1/2, chem1/2, orgo1/2, micro, physics1, calc1, and A&P1/2) my current GPA is 3.5 and my science CASPA GPA is about 3.1 (I really messed up in my math classes). Do I have a shot getting into a PA program? Thank you in advance.

Dentalgains81 - PA applicants are rising every year. Many applicants applying for limited spots available even with the boom in new programs opening. If your GPA meets the minimum requirement for the program applying to, then yes, you have a shot. However, there will be a lot of applicants with better GPAs, more HCE, and other items that make them stand out.