PA charged me to shadow him

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I pay this PA $600 to shadow him?

• Yes, it'll be worth it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sabakilla

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to go to PA school and as most of you know this requires some observation hours. Finding someone to shadow isn't easy because of whatever reason but I went on this website (pashadowonline.com) that lists PAs that would maybe be available for shadowing.

So I emailed different PAs in NY (my region) last week and one got back to me today. He called me and explained that he would write me a LOR bla bla. Anyways after all he said all these amazing things he mentioned that it would cost me $600!!!!

I've never heard of anyone paying to shadow. That's like paying for an internship. I tried googling it to see if it's legal or if anyone has been through something similar and I've seen no posts of anything of the kind.

Is this legal? Should I go for it? I mean as a PA that's been working for a few years he should be making over 6 figs. It makes me mad that he'd charge his shadowers that much money.

Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't get a LOR from someone you have paid. Super sketchy.
If you absolutely can't find a PA to shadow, perhaps try shadowing another health professional in a clinic that employs PAs.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm trying to go to PA school and as most of you know this requires some observation hours. Finding someone to shadow isn't easy because of whatever reason but I went on this website (pashadowonline.com) that lists PAs that would maybe be available for shadowing.

So I emailed different PAs in NY (my region) last week and one got back to me today. He called me and explained that he would write me a LOR bla bla. Anyways after all he said all these amazing things he mentioned that it would cost me $600!!!!

I've never heard of anyone paying to shadow. That's like paying for an internship. I tried googling it to see if it's legal or if anyone has been through something similar and I've seen no posts of anything of the kind.

Is this legal? Should I go for it? I mean as a PA that's been working for a few years he should be making over 6 figs. It makes me mad that he'd charge his shadowers that much money.

Advice?
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Who is it? I'd love to email this person and ask them what is wrong with them. 100% don't do this. Just email some other people. If there is a PA school around you, email some of their faculty. Most PAS I work with are awesome and don't pull this kind of crap.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it'd be worth it but you guys are right. It is pretty immoral of him to do. I'll just be there observing him. It's not fair for me to have to pay $600 and he probably knows I'm desperate too.

I thought it'd be worth it but you guys are right. It is pretty immoral of him to do. I'll just be there observing him. It's not fair for me to have to pay $600 and he probably knows I'm desperate too.
I wouldn't even shadow this troll. Find someone better. The person will try and get you to pay after you shadow a few times.

Reactions: 1 user
This PA's hospital of employeement or practice of employeement need to know this. It's a huge liability issue.

This is really egregious. Personally, I wouldn't ruffle feathers but I would never be in contact with that individual again.

What's interesting is the website you mentioned specifically says PA volunteers . Maybe let the site know he's doing this so they can take him off ? I have been a PA for 25 years and spent three years as PA faculty and have never heard of such a thing .

Reactions: 1 user