OzTREKK 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hugo_2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I was hoping we could start a thread for Canadian students applying to Austrailian Medical Schools through OzTREKK.

Applicants applying for 2018 entry: here's the place to post your questions, concerns, share information and report acceptance/rejections etc.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Some words of warning..

Job prospects -
with regards to Australia, the work VISA situation currently means that you will be looking at 2 years (4 tops) of 'residency' in Australia if you choose that route upon finishing your degree. Which is insufficient to complete training in the Australian system, you may not even get to finish say residency in Family medicine. On the other hand, 4 years from now is a lengthy period of time, new policies may come out. But you cannot predict the future. Current final medical students didn't see this work visa change coming and are now facing the implications of this. It's not an easy thing for them to be told one thing during their 4 years in Australia and have that changed on them in the final stages.

Returning to either Canada/USA (North America) in general is a 50/50 chance (versus 99% of AMGs/CMGs will at home, Australian domestic students are all guaranteed PGY1 positions - 100% will match). There's often stigma attached to attending an offshore school. If you look SDN, that's easily felt too.

Australian internships are getting more competitive to get too, and most hospitals do not like to be taken as 'back-up', usually they will ask if you're applying overseas for jobs. this means you get placed lower down their list of consideration with them if they find out you are. they too want candidates that will stay and be dedicated to them. It's just not a great job climate in general.

Electives/Rotations in Canada/USA are very tricky to arrange.
Often not talked or thought of clearly enough as premeds. There's usually a cap of the number of rotations (usually 2 at most) that you can take away from their home hospitals. Electives can take a year ahead of time to plan and apply for.

What I find most premeds don't realize, is that recruitment companies like Oztrekk are very much businesses. No member of their agency (or any other agency similar to them) is an actual doctor, although they will use 'testimonials' from students who used them. Do use them for what they're worth to you, but don't take what they tell at face value.

I'd suggest to anyone leaving home to get in touch with either their local governments (i.e. health dept, be it national or otherwise), their local match systems for residency, their local medical schools - any other sort of advisory groups that are unaffiliated with either Australian schools or their recruitment agencies and ask further questions. Ask would they recommend going offshore and what advice would they give. would they hire you if you tried to return etc. Just talk to as many different people as you can before going down this path. Post in your own Canadian forum to see what the Canadian residents and attendings say.

Don't go into this blindly.
I think the situation is far trickier than many students imagine, occasionally it comes as a shock 3-4 years later. It's possible to come away with a good experience, equally possible to run into problems.

Rejections - This very rarely occurs for international students applying to Australian schools. So long as you meet minimum cut-offs (which can be pretty low at some schools) you get in. this is because the schools need full fee paying international students for funding purposes and have no obligation to provide jobs after. To note, medical schools in Australia, have no connection with residency programs.

Easy in, no easy way out.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Hi Domperidone,

For sure pursuing an international medical degree is wrought with challenges. I would hope prospective applicants understand this prior to committing to this path (as you mentioned, this forum is inundated with warnings, and your comments are valid). However, for those of us who have decided to take the plunge it would be wonderful to have a place to share knowledge and information that could perhaps help to elucidate some of the challanges involved with applying to a forgien school and relocating to a new country. I had hoped this could be an encouraging and supportive thread that could stimulate positive discussion specific to Canadian applicants. I have found myself craving for discussion surrounding the OzTREKK application journey and would love to connect with others currently traveling down the same path.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ironically, not all prospective applicants understand this. Don't assume that everyone plans ahead or thinks as you do. A good chunk is actually that naive. I've met them. Went to school with them. They're students on teams I work with etc.

I took the plunge too a few years ago - I'm not Australian but I'm a grad of an Australian medical school and am now a resident/doctor. Many of my classmates of varied backgrounds, opinions and concerns also took the same plunge. I still mentor current students and keep in touch. If you would prefer that I keep my opinions to myself, particularly as I'm not a current premed. Lol. Point taken. I'll exit this thread.
giphy.gif

There are many wonderful places to talk about the positive sides. Your school will do that as will their recruitment agencies.

If you crave talking to others in your same situation, all the Australian medical student societies and their respective international cohorts have their own facebook groups. that's where they connect. If you've been accepted, find your class's facebook group (email and ask if you're not sure). You can even create your own facebook group with those in your class and people will join.

However, you may not find that much of a group within SDN - as the user base on this forum is predominantly American. if you look through UQ Ochsner (the American Australian group) I'm guessing that's the type of thread you're trying to emulate. But I don't think you'll find enough Canadians heading to Australia on this particular site necessarily to fill that goal. I've yet to come across an Australian medical student on this site that isn't either in the Ochsner program (i.e. American) or..yea I can't remember the last time I ran across a student around these parts who wasn't American or premed from another country (and therefore not a student).

If you wanted to stimulate positive discussion 'only' with this thread, great,
but then why ask for concerns in your initial post?
confused.gif

I stated that you can get a positive experience out of this.
But, the truth is that it is hard. And right now, it just seems to be getting harder with each passing year, not the other way around. With regards to getting jobs later, you're not on equal footing with those who choose to stay home and you won't be treated that way. It's both unethical and misleading for me to say it's not challenging and go, don't worry you'll have a great time. particularly as I'm a product of this system and had first hand experience, so I know it's not that easy. Don't misunderstand me on this, you will indeed have positive experiences. I don't regret my choices, but I have classmates who have. i was lucky, but not everyone I knew was.

I care about what lies ahead and how this experience is going to affect premeds going in. i'm also here because every year, I hear current students already in the system asking why someone never filled them in sufficiently on what to be aware of before they started. Or they blame themselves for not looking into it further. If you wish to interpret this as being 'unsupportive' or 'discouraging" you can. We're in an internet forum after all, I have no power over how people feel or think. But it's not my intent to rain on anyone's parade as someone who shares information.
Joey-Tribianni-Shrug-Friends.gif

There's also other posters around the forum with different perspectives and opinions.
I'm sure you'll run into someone around these parts with a similar outlook to yours.
If not, give facebook a go.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Hi! I was hoping we could start a thread for Canadian students applying to Austrailian Medical Schools through OzTREKK.

Applicants applying for 2018 entry: here's the place to post your questions, concerns, share information and report acceptance/rejections etc.

Good luck everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone has gotten/accepted a UQ offer?

Some words of warning..

Job prospects -
with regards to Australia, the work VISA situation currently means that you will be looking at 2 years (4 tops) of 'residency' in Australia if you choose that route upon finishing your degree. Which is insufficient to complete training in the Australian system, you may not even get to finish say residency in Family medicine. On the other hand, 4 years from now is a lengthy period of time, new policies may come out. But you cannot predict the future. Current final medical students didn't see this work visa change coming and are now facing the implications of this. It's not an easy thing for them to be told one thing during their 4 years in Australia and have that changed on them in the final stages.

Returning to either Canada/USA (North America) in general is a 50/50 chance (versus 99% of AMGs/CMGs will at home, Australian domestic students are all guaranteed PGY1 positions - 100% will match). There's often stigma attached to attending an offshore school. If you look SDN, that's easily felt too.

Australian internships are getting more competitive to get too, and most hospitals do not like to be taken as 'back-up', usually they will ask if you're applying overseas for jobs. this means you get placed lower down their list of consideration with them if they find out you are. they too want candidates that will stay and be dedicated to them. It's just not a great job climate in general.

Electives/Rotations in Canada/USA are very tricky to arrange.
Often not talked or thought of clearly enough as premeds. There's usually a cap of the number of rotations (usually 2 at most) that you can take away from their home hospitals. Electives can take a year ahead of time to plan and apply for.

What I find most premeds don't realize, is that recruitment companies like Oztrekk are very much businesses. No member of their agency (or any other agency similar to them) is an actual doctor, although they will use 'testimonials' from students who used them. Do use them for what they're worth to you, but don't take what they tell at face value.

I'd suggest to anyone leaving home to get in touch with either their local governments (i.e. health dept, be it national or otherwise), their local match systems for residency, their local medical schools - any other sort of advisory groups that are unaffiliated with either Australian schools or their recruitment agencies and ask further questions. Ask would they recommend going offshore and what advice would they give. would they hire you if you tried to return etc. Just talk to as many different people as you can before going down this path. Post in your own Canadian forum to see what the Canadian residents and attendings say.

Don't go into this blindly.
I think the situation is far trickier than many students imagine, occasionally it comes as a shock 3-4 years later. It's possible to come away with a good experience, equally possible to run into problems.

Rejections - This very rarely occurs for international students applying to Australian schools. So long as you meet minimum cut-offs (which can be pretty low at some schools) you get in. this is because the schools need full fee paying international students for funding purposes and have no obligation to provide jobs after. To note, medical schools in Australia, have no connection with residency programs.

Easy in, no easy way out.
Good Luck

Hi,

I hope you can answer a few questions.

I am a Canadian student. I do not particularly care about returning to Canada for residency. If I get a residency in Canada, great, if not then I will go to wherever I get one. I am currently at around a 3.6 GPA (my university has a 9.0 point scale, so conversions are confusing and since I did them myself they might be way off).

I was wondering what the situation is like for Canadian students who go to study in Australia. Can they get residencies in semi-competitive/competitive specialties (ie gen surg)? Is it possible to get residency at all without being an Australian citizen?

It seems that you are saying that for Canadians, its usually bad news bears trying to get residency. Am I understanding it correctly? May I ask how you navigated the pitfalls and got a residency? If you are a Canadian who is looking at options/planning to go into medical school what would you do to ensure success in the Australian system?

Please help!

Hi,

I hope you can answer a few questions.

I am a Canadian student. I do not particularly care about returning to Canada for residency. If I get a residency in Canada, great, if not then I will go to wherever I get one. I am currently at around a 3.6 GPA (my university has a 9.0 point scale, so conversions are confusing and since I did them myself they might be way off).

I was wondering what the situation is like for Canadian students who go to study in Australia. Can they get residencies in semi-competitive/competitive specialties (ie gen surg)? Is it possible to get residency at all without being an Australian citizen?

It seems that you are saying that for Canadians, its usually bad news bears trying to get residency. Am I understanding it correctly? May I ask how you navigated the pitfalls and got a residency? If you are a Canadian who is looking at options/planning to go into medical school what would you do to ensure success in the Australian system?

Please help!

The talk on Canadians not being able to get residencies has been out there for so so many years but having said that the 5 people that I know - 2 choose to stay there (2017 ) and 3 got matched back here in Canada. Rural pathway is the best way to go. Things could be changing in Australia but again if you do your research in this Forum that has been the talk forever. I hate to think if somebody had made a decision not to go to Australia 5,7 years ago thinking they won't match or won't get a spot in Australia only to know they likely would have made it. I have heard getting into Speciality is difficulty .
Good Luck

Check out this interesting report from HETI with regards to their 2016 Match. File too large to attach here unfortunately. Only 16 IMGs in the State of NSW were not accounted for and that's pretty good . Only 46 IMGs wasn't offered a spot on Jan 2016 and by April it was only 16. The 16 could have matched back to Canada, USA or perhaps they had other plans. All the IMGs that applied for Rural Preferential Pathway got into their 1st choice unlike their Domestic counterparts. So let's stay positive .

sigh, double threads now.
i'll respond to wolflarson's thread in time that's tailored for them (to help them with the questions they're asking), but does not derail hugo's thread.

So, you can maintain positivity.
That's your choice.

what i don't support is not providing all outlooks for premeds who have not yet had the experience to make that decision. Or saying that your outlook is right or best. When there is no right or wrong and every experience is individualistic (depends on your own personality, the school you attend, your background - are you from a rural one or not etc. and interests.).

So, giving premeds what information is out there for them to decide what is right for them. If they choose to be positive about their future prospects that is their right. If they choose to be negative. that is also their right. but IMO there must and should be a lot of thought, discussion and research that goes into their decisions to maintain resilience. a negative experience is a lasting one too, and i cannot guarantee that won't happen.

current laws and policy indicates that the VISA situation has changed. The government came out with a report that we're facing an oversupply of doctors in metropolitan areas (maldistribution in rural). there is a bottleneck situation that has been in existence for years in Australia.

The talk on Canadians not being able to get residencies has been out there for so so many years but having said that the 5 people that I know - 2 choose to stay there (2017 ) and 3 got matched back here in Canada. Rural pathway is the best way to go. Things could be changing in Australia but again if you do your research in this Forum that has been the talk forever. I hate to think if somebody had made a decision not to go to Australia 5,7 years ago thinking they won't match or won't get a spot in Australia only to know they likely would have made it. I have heard getting into Speciality is difficulty .
Good Luck

Indeed like you said - there are jobs if you decide to be a rural family doctor. This does not include subspecialties or surgery (as these paths in Australia rely on tertiary hospital training to some degree - you cannot wholly go rural for this type of training). However, not all premeds are either wanting this, or it's too early in their not-yet-started careers to decide.

The current visa situation is that current students may not be able to get a VISA that sets them on the PR pathway. PR is currently required to be eligible for many programs in order to finish residency. There's always the possibility that the policy could change. AMSA the student lobby or national representative body for medical students is working towards this.

Whatever comes of it, the reality is that anything can happen in the 4 years that you commit to attending an Australian school. Luck ensures that you graduate without being affected. if a policy changes I should hope that the current students will be saved of any negative impacts/experiences. They certainly couldn't have foreseen this when they started.

Majority of international students attending Australian schools will end up in primary care or rural medicine. Whether they stay in Australia or return home. Doesn't change the fact that returning to North America is a 50/50 shot if you get to the point of applying. There are exceptions, if some premeds and med students want to hold onto that, they can (and I know some always will).

Yes. You can match and be a doctor.
That is always a possibility and realistic one.
however, it doesn't change the challenges that occur constantly, training in a country that is not your own, with a different residency framework. Nor does it change the strong possibility that you may not have the outcome you originally wanted.

I'll be a broken record on this, but you have to have a very open mind to take the offshore pathway to your home country.

Lastly for this:
Check out this interesting report from HETI with regards to their 2016 Match. File too large to attach here unfortunately. Only 16 IMGs in the State of NSW were not accounted for and that's pretty good . Only 46 IMGs wasn't offered a spot on Jan 2016 and by April it was only 16. The 16 could have matched back to Canada, USA or perhaps they had other plans. All the IMGs that applied for Rural Preferential Pathway got into their 1st choice unlike their Domestic counterparts. So let's stay positive .
I can't tell if you're referring to the internship or something else.
Sure, everyone or most under current circumstances will get internship. Again, I'm arguing to the fact that currently, unless something changes, you'll get to do 2-4 years of residency in Australia after grad. But you'll have to leave after. Unless you're a rural family doctor. Reiterating as above, things could change. But this also an example of how quickly things can change in 4 years time.

Also you said rural pathways. Again, all for this. I think there needs to be more rural doctors. And there's certainly passionate students about this, which is great and they deserve a chance.

But unfortunately not all premeds realize this nor wanted this at least not in the beginning. They need to know this before they start. If they're okay with that, great. If not, then there are other avenues still open to them that does not involve going to Australia.

edited: for grammar and clarity.

Last edited:
I just got offer email from Queensland today! Pretty happy about it.

Something has been bothering me though. Under the "Accepting your offer", it says "Offer alone does not guarantee your place in the program". Is this something I should be worried about? How likely is it that I accept their offer, but not getting a place?

I just got offer email from Queensland today! Pretty happy about it.

Something has been bothering me though. Under the "Accepting your offer", it says "Offer alone does not guarantee your place in the program". Is this something I should be worried about? How likely is it that I accept their offer, but not getting a place?

Your place isn't confirmed until you've accepted, paid your deposit, and received your confirmation of enrolment. In theory, if all the seats filled up before you completed that, then you wouldn't get a place.

When I spoke with Oztrekk, they said the program filled up mid-july last year.

Also you said rural pathways. Again, all for this. I think there needs to be more rural doctors. And there's certainly passionate students about this, which is great and they deserve a chance.

I've got a quick question if you don't mind. If you get a rural internship either via CMI or through the 'regular' internship program, and eventually get a residency in rural FM, would you be considered a 'rural GP' upon your return to your country (Canada in this case) or would you just be a GP and can practice anywhere. I'm aware that in Canada you have to do a return of service (which I believe is much shorter if you get your internship via the CMI program)

For these type of questions, I'd strongly recommend that you ask your government or local Canadian doctors directly. I'm not really sure what's out there, I think Healthworkforce Ontario is one place many of my friends and classmates used. I don't practice in Canada. FYI.

However, to answer your question directly.
I think you're getting confused by the terminology.
So you're a rural GP or family doctor if you are practicing in a rural area. which can mean serving a population of 10 000 or less. Regional by Australian definition is 100 000 or less.
That's all that term carries. So you can call yourself that, if that is where you have trained or practice. and there are colleges in Asutralia (residency programs) that train you to be able to serve those type of populations and the corresponding resources available. It's a different type of medicine, where you are expected to do more with less.

The idea behind return of service is that residency is a resource. It is government funded. that is where your teaching/training and salary as a doctor in training comes from. In return, after you finish and become fully qualified, Canada (I believe - again I don't practice there) would like you to return that service by serving their under-served communities. Which are often rural.

Similarly, that's how Australia's return of service applies to their intern year, at least in the CMI program. But in a different way - they expect you to return that service by practicing somewhere rural within 5 years. Which isn't a bad deal either, just do 1-2 rural rotations a year if you want to, so long as its within 5 years. That said, not all hospitals will allow you to rotated like that. Some do, some don't, just depends on where you get hired. Some tertiary hospitals are affiliated with small rural ones for instance, others aren't.

so..return of service is a term. And it's country specific. you can't assume that countries will share in this. Sure, maybe you've done some form of return of service in Australia, but you wouldn't have done that for Canada. What benefit do Canadian communities receive from your serving an Australian one? None. Yes you offer experience, so it does show that maybe you're serious about rural medicine, more so than a candidate that has never practiced rural medicine. It doesn't cancel any years with another country.

However, it is also a term that applies to residency.
If you are fully qualified (you've finished residency and training), it is a different thing altogether. Canada and Australia have a reciprocal agreement. Whereby, if you're a fully qualified FM doctor from Australia, you can practice in Canada without needing to do residency. How that exactly works or whether you need further licensing exams - I have no idea.

That would be my take on this anyway.

Has anyone here interviewed with Griffith University or received an offer of admission? I interviewed with them last Tuesday but forgot to ask when to expect to hear regarding thier decision. The waiting is hard! Good luck everyone :)

Has anyone here interviewed with Griffith University or received an offer of admission? I interviewed with them last Tuesday but forgot to ask when to expect to hear regarding thier decision. The waiting is hard! Good luck everyone :)

I believe offers of admission went out already. The last day to accept is September 8th.

I believe offers of admission went out already. The last day to accept is September 8th.
Oh wow that was fast! I interviewed on August 7th, so would that mean maybe I was in a second round of interviews and then maybe will only hear after Sept 8th depending on if people accept? Do you know when the first round of offers went out?