Owning a non-primary residence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mininhi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To be as concise as possible, I will soon be inheriting my late mother's large property. This will not be my primary residence as I am attending out-of-state, and I would be a co-owner with my sibling (who will be living in the home). I have already filed FAFSA for this upcoming year, which calculated my EFC to be zero. Will having this property under my name significantly affect my ability to receive financial aid next year?

I have searched in the forum for answers, but everything I've read discusses primary residences, and I do know that those are not taken into account for financial aid. I plan to rent an apartment in the city that I will be going to school.

I am honestly clueless about what to expect in this situation, and I truly appreciate any insight and advice that anyone can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

Neither income nor assets are taken into account when awarding federal student loans for professional school. The EFC is calculated, but it is irrelevant.

You will be offered staffirds and then grad plus loans, up to the full COA, from the federal government. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Your school may offer some bonus money / scholarships based on your financial situation, but it is most likely related to how much your parents make, not yourself. Which is hilarious for 40 year old students like me who are perfectly capable of raising my own family without my parents' SSI income.

Reactions: 1 user