Oversupply mentioned in radiology job market article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jupiterianvibe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 2 users
I vote for the guy who wrote this article to be the new president of the CAP

Out of all the fields in medicine they could've used to warn about oversupply to...they picked us. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Next year 65% of all PGY-1 pathology residents will be IMGs. When they all finish training in 6 years, can a LabCorp, Quest, or IRL pathology (pathology arm of HCA) hire them at 90K / year? If I am a megalab or a ponzi-scheme private practice who needs cheap labor, can I sponsor an IMG's work visa and get them to do slave labor for me for peanuts?

Everyone knows this about pathology but CAP and ASCP.
They still worry about the " retirement cliff".

Everyone knows this about pathology but CAP and ASCP.
They still worry about the " retirement cliff".

Other fields are using us as an index case for what NOT to do. That's just pathetic.

Our leaders aren't THAT stupid. The only other explanation is that there is an ulterior motive for their push to recruit more residents and expand programs.

It feels like our field has NO representation whatsoever.

This one sentence says it all in their conclusion: Other specialties, particularly pathology, demonstrate the dangers of chronic oversupply. Emphasis on the word "chronic".

You know its bad when other specialties are like "we don't want to be those guys over there".

Other fields are using us as an index case for what NOT to do. That's just pathetic.

Our leaders aren't THAT stupid. The only other explanation is that there is an ulterior motive for their push to recruit more residents and expand programs.

It feels like our field has NO representation whatsoever.

Yes, they unfortunately are...though stupid is not the word I would use. Perhaps woefully, if not pathologically, ignorant or inept. I would posit that as our core pathology leadership and representation is largely academic (and ancient), they have absolutely no earthly idea how to turn a profit and have therefore never had to learn to compete. A paycheck would always show up whether or not they signed anything out. It ultimately doesn't matter as reality is catching up even to them. While there will always be a market for the acclaimed expert of "insert AP specialty here", that's not every academic pathologist. And with all the hospital mergers and acquisitions, academic medical centers are absolutely no exception to being bought out. The first thing that happens with a multidisciplinary acquisition is an RVU to income analysis of all faculty and departments. Anyone want to take a guess which department gets whacked the hardest?

Reactions: 1 users
This is hilarious! This is such an embarrassing field. Professional organizations and academics refuse to admit to the major oversupply.

Congrats on becoming a pathologist....sorry we don't have a job for you. Good luck paying your students loans, feeding and housing your family.

We are a laughingstock! What an embarrassment. Big Academia and our leadership organizations have led us straight off a cliff (and its not their boogeyman retirement cliff)

Complaining about pathology leadership is a common theme on this board, but I never see anyone offering solutions. Why don't the people with the necessary vision and leadership skills step up and wrest control of these organizations and lead our specialty forward? I suspect it's because the personality types that are attracted to pathology are not well-suited to organizational leadership and those few who are would rather use those skills to improve their own bottom line. I'm sure the leadership group deserves plenty of blame, but armchair quarterbacking doesn't help much either.

Reactions: 2 users
Why don't the people with the necessary vision and leadership skills step up and wrest control of these organizations and lead our specialty forward? I suspect it's because the personality types that are attracted to pathology are not well-suited to organizational leadership and those few who are would rather use those skills to improve their own bottom line, I'm sure the leadership group deserves plenty of blame, but armchair quarterbacking doesn't help much either.

This...In fairness though, it's not that they're just concerned with improving their bottom line; but, because their potential to calibrate the supply/demand of the labor force accordingly to the needs of the market are limited without being in academia, government, or having deep lobbying efforts. Until then, the armchair quarterbacking will continue, especially on internet forums like this...

This...In fairness though, it's not that they're just concerned with improving their bottom line; but, because their potential to calibrate the supply/demand of the labor force accordingly to the needs of the market are limited without being in academia, government, or having deep lobbying efforts. Until then, the armchair quarterbacking will continue, especially on internet forums like this...
Then better leave it be. What's the point with all due respect? Maybe a mass retirement wave is going to solve this.

Complaining about pathology leadership is a common theme on this board, but I never see anyone offering solutions. Why don't the people with the necessary vision and leadership skills step up and wrest control of these organizations and lead our specialty forward? I suspect it's because the personality types that are attracted to pathology are not well-suited to organizational leadership and those few who are would rather use those skills to improve their own bottom line. I'm sure the leadership group deserves plenty of blame, but armchair quarterbacking doesn't help much either.

What realistic solution is there? Is USCAP, ASCP, or CAP existing leadership going to stand for individual usurpers in their midst and actually allow them to take influential positions? Are pathology academic departments receptive to private practice pathology input and advice? Are small groups or individual pathologists going to be able to explain the oversupply to dense politicians who have coveted peer reviewed data, all published in high impact journals by academicians of course, that say otherwise?

Short of hundreds of private practice pathologists all writing to the government to pull the plug on pathology GME funding so that only the healthiest of academic departments can self fund training spots, nothing is going to happen from our end. That link from above is a start, but there are only 97 signatures there as of today.

Thirty years ago, there was no forum like this to bring forth the "truth".

Yes, the rotten leadership is well entrenched. However, now, at least we have a forum to shame them. We should demand an accounting for what they have done to our field. We should name and criticize them individually and vociferously. Rather than honors, let's give them **its!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. wtf Watch out or you'll end up like the idiot pathologists. It's painful and funny all at the same time.

What realistic solution is there? Is USCAP, ASCP, or CAP existing leadership going to stand for individual usurpers in their midst and actually allow them to take influential positions? Are pathology academic departments receptive to private practice pathology input and advice? Are small groups or individual pathologists going to be able to explain the oversupply to dense politicians who have coveted peer reviewed data, all published in high impact journals by academicians of course, that say otherwise?

Short of hundreds of private practice pathologists all writing to the government to pull the plug on pathology GME funding so that only the healthiest of academic departments can self fund training spots, nothing is going to happen from our end. That link from above is a start, but there are only 97 signatures there as of today.

Probably 10 of those signatures are even real. Wei Tu Mini anyone? Whoever came up with that name is a genius. :claps:

They all want someone else to do it.

Got a cold call the other day from a fellow finishing up their second fellowship. Sorry we are not hiring. In about seven to ten years will be the next opening.

I hope they don't have student loans, don't have a family to support, and have a third fellowship lined up. To depressing to ask/think about. No way I can encourage/support anyone's decision to enter this field/situation.