General Admissions & OTCAS Otcas questions! Please?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYY13251

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Started my application on OTCAS. It is a lot! I have several of my essays done, and a decent amount of the the sections done, but i have some questions

1) Can I send over my transcripts before i submit my applications? If so, has anyone ever had a situation where you can only order the transcript online? I know I have to fax it and send over the OTCAS cover sheet, but do not know how to do that if I can only order a transcript online.

2) For certifications/license: Did you guys put stuff like CPR? Because that's all i really have...

3) Did you put in all of your previous/current jobs under experiences? I have added my volunteer hours, internships, jobs etc.. But not sure if i should add all of my jobs. They are all about working with seniors and children with disabilities. But i am not sure if they will see my resume anyway.

4) Some of my schools want a specific essay, which is pretty annoying. But did you also submit your personal statement with another essay so they have both? One school asks me a specific question and personal statement and another does not. Have you ever send both just so they can read both?

5) Two schools require me to take Developmental Psy since i took it 6 years ago and they want it within 5. So I am taking it this Fall. Another schools requires Kinesiology and another General Bio. I plan on taking Kinesiology in January in case I get in, I will have it done but the Bio I plan on waiting. When i am adding future classes, should i just put Bio in Spring 2018? For the Psy class i am retaking, i already got an A on it, so will other schools care/wonder why i am retaking it?

I think thats it... back to OTCAS!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I can try to answers these as best I can...

1.) You can def. send your transcripts in before submitting, these take awhile to get sent over so I would try to get them done ASAP. However, if you are still in school or taking classes and have to wait for those grades to be posted there is usually an option that will say something like "wait till Fall term grades are posted before sending." I had to get transcripts from 4 different schools and majority of them were far away from where I am so I had to send them online. I think sending them online is much better anyway, they usually have an area where you can type in your OTCAS ID number and what not so you don't have to print out that OTCAS form or fax it. Other school sites have an option to attach a document so I just attached the OTCAS document and then sent it online.

2.) I didn't have any certifications, but if you have CPR it doesn't hurt to add it, I am sure that will look good on your application regardless.

3.) I would add everything! Like I said it doesn't hurt to add it all and specially since your jobs are all about working with seniors, children, etc. that will def. look good on your apps in my opinion. I know its a pain to type it all in though but I think its worth it!

4.) The schools that ask for separate questions are looking for both your personal statement and their specific question. I never added both to a school that didn't ask for specific questions though. I'm not too sure about this one...but I think you'll be okay with just answering the additional questions for schools that ask for it and for the ones that don't just have your personal statement.

5.) I would ask the schools about the Developmental Psych class you have to retake since its been 6 years but you got an A in it. Ask them if its okay that its been that long or would they rather you retake it. I would just add any future classes you plan on taking so schools know you are not missing that prereq but still planning on completing it. I don't think any schools will question why you are retaking it though since they will see its been quite some time since you took it.

If I ever had any questions about a specific schools requirement, I usually called or emailed them and they were really good about answering any specifics I was worried about.

I hope this helped and I answered some questions you had!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Everyone,
Started my application on OTCAS. It is a lot! I have several of my essays done, and a decent amount of the the sections done, but i have some questions

1) Can I send over my transcripts before i submit my applications? If so, has anyone ever had a situation where you can only order the transcript online? I know I have to fax it and send over the OTCAS cover sheet, but do not know how to do that if I can only order a transcript online.

2) For certifications/license: Did you guys put stuff like CPR? Because that's all i really have...

3) Did you put in all of your previous/current jobs under experiences? I have added my volunteer hours, internships, jobs etc.. But not sure if i should add all of my jobs. They are all about working with seniors and children with disabilities. But i am not sure if they will see my resume anyway.

4) Some of my schools want a specific essay, which is pretty annoying. But did you also submit your personal statement with another essay so they have both? One school asks me a specific question and personal statement and another does not. Have you ever send both just so they can read both?

5) Two schools require me to take Developmental Psy since i took it 6 years ago and they want it within 5. So I am taking it this Fall. Another schools requires Kinesiology and another General Bio. I plan on taking Kinesiology in January in case I get in, I will have it done but the Bio I plan on waiting. When i am adding future classes, should i just put Bio in Spring 2018? For the Psy class i am retaking, i already got an A on it, so will other schools care/wonder why i am retaking it?

I think thats it... back to OTCAS!

Thanks!

Hello!

Welcome to the OTCAS application! Great to see you are getting started early! It is a long and tedious process, but it will feel great once you get it all done! To answer your questions...

1.) Yes, you can order your transcripts before you submit your application. In fact, I do not think you can even submit it until your transcripts have been received because the verification process comes after the submission of your application. The only way OTCAS can verify your application is through your transcripts, so without it, there is no verification. I personally ordered all my transcripts online. In fact, I ordered 5 of them from 5 different schools (my undergrad and 4 community colleges that I took my pre-reqs). I had no problems and it was super easy! Under the colleges attended tab, simply click the "download transcript request form" and when you go online to order transcripts, it'll ask you if you have any attachments, and this is where you will upload this request form that you had filled out. In addition, when you order your transcripts online, it'll most likely ask where you are sending it and give OTCAS as an option.

2.) For certifications, it is beneficial to put any certifications that you possess that is related to Occupational Therapy of course. So, a CPR certification will work or First Aid.

3.) You should put any job related to the Occupational Therapy field. We will never know if the schools will actually look at the resume so it is a safe bet to put any related jobs in that section just as a precaution.

4. For the personal essay, if you are talking about the one in OTCAS, aka the one that is under the "documents" tab in the portal, make sure it is NOT school specific! This is the essay that EVERY school that you submit to will see. You will not be able to change this. As quoted from OTCAS: "Do NOT personalize your essay for a particular degree institution. You can NOT make any edits to your Personal Essay after you have e-submitted your completed application to OTCAS". Typically, if a school requires a specific essay to a specific prompt, it would be submitted under the "Program Materials" section and click on that specific school. For example, USC, has their own Personal Statement with a specific prompt under the section I just mentioned previously. So, I would submit 2 essays, one personal statement for OTCAS that is not personalized for a specific school, and one to USC's prompt specific personal statement. Essentially, do not send any additional essays if they DO NOT require it. The personal statement essay that is within OTCAS will suffice.

5.) For the Bio class, you should put the year and semester you think you will take it. Technically, Spring 2018 starts in January 2018, so if you plan on going there at that time then put that as the date. However, keep in mind that when putting these "future dates" OTCAS will have a time period, usually a few weeks after the end of each semester/quarter for you to update your grade. So if you put Spring 2018 and you actually changed your mine and will take it Summer 2018, that open time period is when you should change the "future date". Basically, once you submit ONE app, everything is locked in. OTCAS give TONS of warnings before submitting about this, however many people miss this and get really upset because they simply did not read the warnings. Also, schools will not wonder why you are retaking Psych because they generally know that some schools have a 5 year age limit for pre-reqs, so they will simply see that it has been 5 years since you have taken it.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both so much!! VERY helpful! I was already sent in most of my transcripts so OTCAS should get them in a week or two! I need to contact two schools that did not give me an option to choose OTCAS as an Application Service.

I am struggling with one pre -req.. I need Structural and Mechanical Kinesiology and my community college does not have it. Every take this and do you know if it is offered online? I was planning on taking it in January, but it appears my local school does not offer it and other nearby schools do not as well. ....

Thank you both so much!! VERY helpful! I was already sent in most of my transcripts so OTCAS should get them in a week or two! I need to contact two schools that did not give me an option to choose OTCAS as an Application Service.

I am struggling with one pre -req.. I need Structural and Mechanical Kinesiology and my community college does not have it. Every take this and do you know if it is offered online? I was planning on taking it in January, but it appears my local school does not offer it and other nearby schools do not as well. ....

It appears that class seems to be possibly unique to the school you are applying to. After doing a quick search it looks like not many schools have it except for Hofstra. In that case, it can could be possible that you could take that class (if you get accepted) the summer before you start that program. For example, San Jose State University requires Neuroanatomy as one of their pre-reqs. However, most students chose to take it the summer/spring before they start the program. SJSU allows you to submit your app with at least 4/8 pre-reqs, which is why many students apply without having completed Neuroanatomy. I would check to see if the school you are applying to allows this or know of any alternative places where you can take this class. It doesn't hurt to ask!

Thanks! I emailed them a little while ago and asked. My concern is that I live out of state, but if i get in, I would move next June. The program starts in September and I am getting married in July (and honeymoon after), so i just want to make sure I would be able to get it done. If not, i can always push back the honeymoon etc. I did ask if they knew of any schools online that offer it that they would accept.

If i put down in OTCAS that I am planning to take a class in Spring 2018, but by then I got rejected by the one school that I am taking it for, do i just delete it from OTCAS? Does it matter if I change my mind? I am taking General Bio for 1 school. It is not my first choice but I figure I may as well take it just in case I get in.

If i put down in OTCAS that I am planning to take a class in Spring 2018, but by then I got rejected by the one school that I am taking it for, do i just delete it from OTCAS? Does it matter if I change my mind? I am taking General Bio for 1 school. It is not my first choice but I figure I may as well take it just in case I get in.

After you submit your application you can add additional information but you cannot delete anything previously added. I believe that also go for anything that was listed as "in progress" and you can only go back to update that you completed it and add the grade. Best thing to do is call OTCAS. They always answer promptly and answers my questions thoroughly.

Reactions: 1 user
After you submit your application you can add additional information but you cannot delete anything previously added. I believe that also go for anything that was listed as "in progress" and you can only go back to update that you completed it and add the grade. Best thing to do is call OTCAS. They always answer promptly and answers my questions thoroughly.

Thanks! I will give them a call. I just want to be sure if I do not take it and do not put in a grade, it will not hurt my chances with other schools. I also want to ask them about repeating a class. I did not do well in a math class my sophomore year. So i retook it at another school over the summer. I cannot remember if I had to or if i wanted to but i don't know if they count that as repeating a class

tab, simply

I am trying to order transcripts online through Student Clearinghouse. When I go through the process and fill out all the requirements, I am not able to attach any forms. I also found this on their website "Attachments are NOT allowed to be included with transcripts when placing your order online."

What would I need to do? Any suggestions? Do I go to the school with the transcript matching form I downloaded.

Sorry I took over. Figured this can possibly help both of us.

I am trying to order transcripts online through Student Clearinghouse. When I go through the process and fill out all the requirements, I am not able to attach any forms. I also found this on their website "Attachments are NOT allowed to be included with transcripts when placing your order online."

What would I need to do? Any suggestions? Do I go to the school with the transcript matching form I downloaded.

Sorry I took over. Figured this can possibly help both of us.

I did not have to attach any forms when I requested transcripts from my two schools because they already had OTCAS in their database and I just had to enter the unique code. They included that with the transcript. I'm not sure how the clearinghouse works, but do they already have schools and applications systems in a database for you to select from? Otherwise I would just call and explain the process to them to see what they say.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright.. Freaking out a little. I learned I need to slow down a little. I have been taking my time and go over everything and I got a little to excited to upload a new form and I made a mistake.

I got a signature confirming my observation hours and posted it under documents on OTCAS. What I didn't realize was that I used a form that Is supposed to be for another school. So it confirms X amount of hours, but the title says a different school I am applying to that does not use OTCAS. I emailed them asking them to delete it. But I don't know if they will. I didn't submit the application, nor pay a dollar, so I am hoping they will. If not, I am worried it would hurt my chances. It doesn't show any besides another school I applied to and the hours I got at a facility and the signature.

I did not have to attach any forms when I requested transcripts from my two schools because they already had OTCAS in their database and I just had to enter the unique code. They included that with the transcript. I'm not sure how the clearinghouse works, but do they already have schools and applications systems in a database for you to select from? Otherwise I would just call and explain the process to them to see what they say.

Yes, they have schools in their system, but they do not have the OTCAS address. I manually added the address and got to the check out process but didn't get any place to attach the form.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright.. Freaking out a little. I learned I need to slow down a little. I have been taking my time and go over everything and I got a little to excited to upload a new form and I made a mistake.

I got a signature confirming my observation hours and posted it under documents on OTCAS. What I didn't realize was that I used a form that Is supposed to be for another school. So it confirms X amount of hours, but the title says a different school I am applying to that does not use OTCAS. I emailed them asking them to delete it. But I don't know if they will. I didn't submit the application, nor pay a dollar, so I am hoping they will. If not, I am worried it would hurt my chances. It doesn't show any besides another school I applied to and the hours I got at a facility and the signature.

If you haven't submitted any applications then you should be able to delete that document yourself. Otherwise, if you have submitted even one application then I think you can only add and not delete. This is my first round (hopefully first and only round lol) with OTCAS and I'm still learning the procedures as well. Hope you can get it off!

If you haven't submitted any applications then you should be able to delete that document yourself. Otherwise, if you have submitted even one application then I think you can only add and not delete. This is my first round (hopefully first and only round lol) with OTCAS and I'm still learning the procedures as well. Hope you can get it off!

I got it off! It did not give me an option to delete so I called OTCAS and she even said I could delete it but I told her there was no option. She was very nice and did it for me. In other sections it gives a little garbage can to delete, but for the Support Documents Section: Documents- it did not. Either way, I am very happy I got rid of it and will be more careful moving forward. I am so anxious to keep getting things uploaded.

I got it off! It did not give me an option to delete so I called OTCAS and she even said I could delete it but I told her there was no option. She was very nice and did it for me. In other sections it gives a little garbage can to delete, but for the Support Documents Section: Documents- it did not. Either way, I am very happy I got rid of it and will be more careful moving forward. I am so anxious to keep getting things uploaded.

Well that's very good to know, since I will be filling out that section soon. Glad she got it off for you!

quick question guys:
On the Waiver of Evaluation, are you guys checking YES or NO
to waive your rights of access to your evaluations? Does it matter?

quick question guys:
On the Waiver of Evaluation, are you guys checking YES or NO
to waive your rights of access to your evaluations? Does it matter?

I wonder this too. I would like to read my evaluations but I think they usually say to waive this right as it would seem more genuine to the schools or something like that.

I wonder this too. I would like to read my evaluations but I think they usually say to waive this right as it would seem more genuine to the schools or something like that.

I waived YES to all of them. I feel it shows the schools you are confident in your evalutions and know they will be good. By checking "no", they may wonder why you picked that and if you are worried about what they would say. Maybe ask your evaluator to show you what they said?

Okay so I know that courses can be in progress and updated after submitting applications. What about observation hours? Due to life circumstances and the difficulty it takes to get in touch with a site that allows observations and the time it takes to start, I have not been able to accumulate very many hours but have two sites that I'm about to start soon. Can I put them as in progress and then update them when completed? I want to get my apps in ASAP by the end of September but I don't know how long it will take to complete my hours.

Okay so I know that courses can be in progress and updated after submitting applications. What about observation hours? Due to life circumstances and the difficulty it takes to get in touch with a site that allows observations and the time it takes to start, I have not been able to accumulate very many hours but have two sites that I'm about to start soon. Can I put them as in progress and then update them when completed? I want to get my apps in ASAP by the end of September but I don't know how long it will take to complete my hours.

There is a spot for you to enter hours in progress/to be completed. So when you apply, you can put in how many hours you have and the amount you are expected to do after you apply.

I have a question! Most school have a form for observation hours, some schools do not. Did people just create a form stating your observation hours and then having the OT sign it? Just have the facility, date, OT, Hours.... Anything else?

There is a spot for you to enter hours in progress/to be completed. So when you apply, you can put in how many hours you have and the amount you are expected to do after you apply.

I have a question! Most school have a form for observation hours, some schools do not. Did people just create a form stating your observation hours and then having the OT sign it? Just have the facility, date, OT, Hours.... Anything else?

While I was doing my first observations, I just created my own table with the hours, setting, etc and had the OT sign it each time. For the schools that require their own, I will just copy the information in and have the OT sign that form as well. I will upload my own observation hour documents to the general OTCAS app, and then in the supporting information section for the schools, I will upload the hours however that school requires it. They usually have their own documents section of they require it to be done that way. Only they will see what you put in that section.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello guys. I'm new to this thread. I've been doing a lot of reading here last few days.

I have yet to start the OTCAS app yet, but was wondering about letter of recommendations from faculty and 2 OTs need to be hard copy of the letters or they submit it to OTCAS system?

also my second question is if you don't get accepted the first time around, and have to reapply the following year, Do your letter of recs get saved or do you have to ask for new ones?

thank you for your time in advance.

-Seth

Hello! I can try to answers these as best I can...

1.) You can def. send your transcripts in before submitting, these take awhile to get sent over so I would try to get them done ASAP. However, if you are still in school or taking classes and have to wait for those grades to be posted there is usually an option that will say something like "wait till Fall term grades are posted before sending." I had to get transcripts from 4 different schools and majority of them were far away from where I am so I had to send them online. I think sending them online is much better anyway, they usually have an area where you can type in your OTCAS ID number and what not so you don't have to print out that OTCAS form or fax it. Other school sites have an option to attach a document so I just attached the OTCAS document and then sent it online.

2.) I didn't have any certifications, but if you have CPR it doesn't hurt to add it, I am sure that will look good on your application regardless.

3.) I would add everything! Like I said it doesn't hurt to add it all and specially since your jobs are all about working with seniors, children, etc. that will def. look good on your apps in my opinion. I know its a pain to type it all in though but I think its worth it!

4.) The schools that ask for separate questions are looking for both your personal statement and their specific question. I never added both to a school that didn't ask for specific questions though. I'm not too sure about this one...but I think you'll be okay with just answering the additional questions for schools that ask for it and for the ones that don't just have your personal statement.

5.) I would ask the schools about the Developmental Psych class you have to retake since its been 6 years but you got an A in it. Ask them if its okay that its been that long or would they rather you retake it. I would just add any future classes you plan on taking so schools know you are not missing that prereq but still planning on completing it. I don't think any schools will question why you are retaking it though since they will see its been quite some time since you took it.

If I ever had any questions about a specific schools requirement, I usually called or emailed them and they were really good about answering any specifics I was worried about.

I hope this helped and I answered some questions you had!
Under the Experiences section, OTCAS says "You may NOT repeat hours between the sections".
Are they saying that, for example, my paid hospital job can either be entered into Employment OR Healthcare Experience, and not both?