Other OT-Related Information OT with ADHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scratchy

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm wondering if there's anyone out there with similar challenges who can share their experiences. I have a DX of adult ADHD. I shared this on my application essay, so the program I was accepted to obviously is aware of it. In undergrad, I had a 504 which entitled me to certain accommodations which were very helpful. Anyone request accommodations in grad school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I will be requesting accommodations in school. I had to get a reevaluation but that's all I had to do. From the people I've spoken to, it won't be a problem.

Hi! Thanks for replying!

I hope you dont mind if i ask you, how did you go about it? Called/emailed the program secretary? My psychiatrist would happily provide a re-eval or documentation. Do they have their own mental health clinic who does the eval?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I was wondering if you were successful with getting accommodations for OT school? I have ADD and an autoimmune disease so it would be helpful to have them

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'll be straightforward. I believe disclosing my diagnosis of ADHD actually helped me. I applied for the top schools in the country, and was accepted to all of those I applied to. However, I was able to frame my diagnosis in terms of my recovery and management techniques for my symptoms. I also worked my butt off to get a 4.0 in my science prereq's. I'd say absolutely talk about your diagnosis, but you do have to show that you are capable of the coursework.

Sorry for the super late reply. I didn't mention any disorder/diagnosis until my interview. Every school I spoke to last year said accommodations aren't a problem provided you go through their disabilities office. They legally can't deny you accommodations. All I did was print their form and had it filled out by the appropriate people. They want recent docs within 3 years but one of mine is 4 (complete neurological write up) that I don't want to do again and I'm also going to have my psychiatrist write a letter to support it and have my current school send what I get now over.

As of right now, everything is fine on my end. I need to get a hearing test because one of my accommodations involves note taking but otherwise no issues!