OT: Pre-vet Gamers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kanderson615

Oregon State c/o 2016!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to see how many other followers of the pre-vet forum play video games! I've seen Skyrim and other games mentioned a few times, and it made me curious :)

If you do play, do you play on a console or on PC? What games do you play? Are you a fan of RPG, MMO, or FPS games?

And most importantly, are you excited for Halo 4 to come out this week? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to see how many other followers of the pre-vet forum play video games! I've seen Skyrim and other games mentioned a few times, and it made me curious :)

If you do play, do you play on a console or on PC? What games do you play? Are you a fan of RPG, MMO, or FPS games?

I mostly play on PC, though I do play on xbox 360. I love FPS and RPGs. Recently I've been playing Battlefield 3, and replaying Halo to prep for Halo 4. Also, I'm super-bummed that Halo 4 is coming out right before two midterms :( I won't get to play it for almost a week after it comes out! At least, not much ;)

I used to game a lot. Lately, I haven't had the attention span for it.

I don't have an X-Box or Playstation or a gaming computer. I have a Wii, a DS and an old school NES. I love playing old school games like Mario. Pokemon is my other favorite series.

I am a kid at heart, but I will try anything new. The boyfriend got the panda version of WOW. I played that a few weeks ago. I really want to play more of it. Just been too busy with work :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Playing Pokemon Pinball on the GameBoy Color lately. probably gonna go back to Crystal again soon. I wish I still had my Harvest Moon games. Sigh. But that's pretty much it. Don't do much else..

Playing Pokemon Pinball on the GameBoy Color lately. probably gonna go back to Crystal again soon. I wish I still had my Harvest Moon games. Sigh. But that's pretty much it. Don't do much else..

This summer I actually played Pokemon Heart Gold on an emulator on my computer. Unfortunately I didn't get to beat it before school started, but it was really fun! I've always really enjoyed the Pokemon games, and that probably has a lot to do with the fact that they were released when I was in the prime demographic. But you don't have to be a fifth-grader to still enjoy them!

boyfriend got the panda version of WOW. I played that a few weeks ago. I really want to play more of it. Just been too busy with work :/

Hubs got and so jealous! I have every intention of hijacking his account over Christmas break.

When I actually have time for it, I'm a huge fan of console RPGs and WoW. I'm also a big fan of table top DnD and board games of all kinds.

I used to game a lot. Lately, I haven't had the attention span for it.

I don't have an X-Box or Playstation or a gaming computer. I have a Wii, a DS and an old school NES. I love playing old school games like Mario. Pokemon is my other favorite series.

I am a kid at heart, but I will try anything new. The boyfriend got the panda version of WOW. I played that a few weeks ago. I really want to play more of it. Just been too busy with work :/

I've never played WoW, or other MMORPGs, though I can see how they'd be addicting. It was always the subscription fee that I found off-putting.

I really love playing games because it's such a good way to relax and take your mind off of things. For an hour or two you can forget about all the work you have to do and instead kill people who are across the country or go fight dragons or something. It's fun :)

This summer I actually played Pokemon Heart Gold on an emulator on my computer. Unfortunately I didn't get to beat it before school started, but it was really fun! I've always really enjoyed the Pokemon games, and that probably has a lot to do with the fact that they were released when I was in the prime demographic. But you don't have to be a fifth-grader to still enjoy them!

I've tried playing on my laptop but it's just not the same. I have to have a GameBoy in my hand to really enjoy Pokemon. Weird, I know. :laugh:

I've tried playing on my laptop but it's just not the same. I have to have a GameBoy in my hand to really enjoy Pokemon. Weird, I know. :laugh:

Hah, not weird! An emulator definitely doesn't have the same nostalgic feeling for me that an actual GameBoy would have. I spent so many hours just laying in bed playing games on my Purple GameBoy Color. Sadly I sold it years ago, so I have to resort to emulators now.

How did you all get started playing games?

I had a bright green gameboy. It's easier somewhere here or in Germany. I really want it back. Right now I have a friend's. I remember when I first got it for my birthday. I was so excited and couldn't stop playing for the longest time. I think it was my 10th birthday.

I dabble. :laugh: Not a hard core gamer at all. Prefer console over PC.

Games I have enjoyed playing: Diablo, pretty much all the Mario's(old skool and new :p), Monster Hunter Tri, Sonic. I prefer the older games.

I would love to try Skyrim. I've seen some people play and it looks like a lot of fun. No x-box though and I refuse to play it on PS3(don't want my console to break :laugh:)

I have PS2 and 3 and a Wii. Well, the Wii is the roommates, but I think he'll pretty much give it to me when he moves. He doesn't do much with it anymore.

I used to watch my ex(from 8 years ago) play Halo, HalfLife, CoD, etc.

How did you all get started playing games?

I would have to go to the neighbors 1/2 mile down the road and play with their boy and girl. Girl was 2 years younger and boy 4 years younger than me. The boy and I would hang out in his room and play on his Nintendo while the girl would play with barbies. :laugh: I was around 10 when I started, I think. When I was 14(?) we adopted my brother and my parents bought him a PlayStation. But we were only allowed to play for 30 minutes a day. Not enough time to really do anything. :laugh:

And then college came around and I started hanging out with the geeky crowd and they all played games for hours. :love:

:soexcited: I'm like the world's worst gamer in that I don't play Halo or CoD or anything like that (I don't even know what half of that stuff /is/, for heaven's sake).

Buuut...I love pokemon and Harvest Moon (just got the new one and OMG it's amazing) and I can't wait for Animal Crossing 3DS and Luigi's Mansion for 3DS too. We have a Wii at home (and an Xbox, but i don't even know how to work the controller...), so I've played some Wii stuff, but with a brother who is a hardcore gamer, I don't get much time to even look at the console.

I currently have a Japanese special-edition Pokemon Black DSi and a blue American 3DS. :oops: Have Black and Black 2 in Japanese, the rest of my games (mostly) in English.

I play pokemon on emulators too, but I particularly like to play hacks. :D Nuzlocking them is fun~

Currently focusing mostly on HM ANB though. And HM SI - playing that with a friend.

Oh! Got started in videogames when the Game Boy Color was released and Pokemon Blue. When I was like 7, I competed and won the Campfiregirl candy selling thing and got a $200 gift certificate for Target. Got a purple GBC and Pokemon Blue that day and have been hooked on those games ever since. I like RPGs like the Tales series (Tales of Symphonia = amazing, also play Tales of the Abyss)...Baten Kaitos...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so happy to see many Pokemon fans!

I love boardgames more so than video games. Tonight, we are going to play Zombies!

I would love to try Skyrim. I've seen some people play and it looks like a lot of fun. No x-box though and I refuse to play it on PS3(don't want my console to break :laugh:)

Skyrim is really fun and addicting! I've personally put 137 hours into my one game :oops: When it first came out, my boyfriend, my roommate, and I would all go home and just play it all night without stopping. Boyfriend and I had a marathon one Saturday where we played for 16 hours straight! Hahaha. Games where you can do that are so much fun. Don't play them if you want to do anything else with your life though :p

I love Halo and Battlefield, but I'm not a huge fan of CoD. I've played Half-Life and I get how it was revolutionary nearly fifteen years ago, but I don't think I'd play it again.

Also, I started out by playing Sonic on my dad's Sega Genesis. There's nothing wrong with preferring old games! If a game can stand the test of time (the first Sonic game came out ~20 years ago) then that is a really awesome thing.

:soexcited: I'm like the world's worst gamer in that I don't play Halo or CoD or anything like that (I don't even know what half of that stuff /is/, for heaven's sake).

Buuut...I love pokemon and Harvest Moon (just got the new one and OMG it's amazing) and I can't wait for Animal Crossing 3DS and Luigi's Mansion for 3DS too. We have a Wii at home (and an Xbox, but i don't even know how to work the controller...), so I've played some Wii stuff, but with a brother who is a hardcore gamer, I don't get much time to even look at the console.

I currently have a Japanese special-edition Pokemon Black DSi and a blue American 3DS. :oops: Have Black and Black 2 in Japanese, the rest of my games (mostly) in English.

I play pokemon on emulators too, but I particularly like to play hacks. :D Nuzlocking them is fun~

Currently focusing mostly on HM ANB though. And HM SI - playing that with a friend.

Oh! Got started in videogames when the Game Boy Color was released and Pokemon Blue. When I was like 7, I competed and won the Campfiregirl candy selling thing and got a $200 gift certificate for Target. Got a purple GBC and Pokemon Blue that day and have been hooked on those games ever since. I like RPGs like the Tales series (Tales of Symphonia = amazing, also play Tales of the Abyss)...Baten Kaitos...

I've only played Harvest moon for DS, but it was really fun! Though for half of the stuff (getting girls to marry you and the like), I have no idea how you'd figure that out without cheating and looking online!

I've never played a Nuzlocke game because I get so emotionally attached to my Pokemon parties! I would feel bad doing that! :laugh: I do love reading some of the comics though. I particularly enjoy Petty Nuzlocke :)

I love skyrim. I haven't played it all semester though because I know that I wouldn't get anything done, ever. I also like playing CoD. We have a PS3 and a N64. Mariokart and Mario64 get played a lot. I think the new Assassin's creed game set in the revolutionary war game looks cool, mostly because I love stuff to do with that time period. I will probably pick Skyrim back up over Christmas Break.

kanderson said:
I've only played Harvest moon for DS, but it was really fun! Though for half of the stuff (getting girls to marry you and the like), I have no idea how you'd figure that out without cheating and looking online!

I've never played a Nuzlocke game because I get so emotionally attached to my Pokemon parties! I would feel bad doing that! :laugh: I do love reading some of the comics though. I particularly enjoy Petty Nuzlocke :)

I think everyone pretty much goes online. :laugh: I'm stalking one of the more well-known HM guide-doers as she puts up the guide for the game and stalking the forum to get more knowledge. This one is more complex than most, even! And you can be a boy or a girl and customize what you look like, etc.

I think the point is to get emotionally invested. :laugh: I've gotten so mad at a death that I've just turned off my gameboy (or emulator) and been like...that never happened. :laugh: I like the screenshot runs the best as they're easier to read at work, which is when I read them the most. :rofl:

I have a ton of games on my Steam account that I don't have enough time to play. Also my laptop often likes to be stupid and mess with the graphics...I'm getting a new one when I graduate (and if no one will buy it for me, I will!) Over the summer I was mainly playing Psychonauts and Half Life 2. I was totally into old school Nintendo. I got the special Pikachu edition Game Boy Color and a Yellow game when they first came out. Pokemon and Kirby are probably my top two. :D I love when the hotels have an N64 and I can play Pokemon Snap or Kirby and the Crystal Shards...so much nostalgia.

I also hang out with a bunch of gamers who are into the CoD type stuff. My boyfriend is currently playing the new Assassin's Creed game (he's a history major and he loves that series). I also play some PS3 fighting games with him and his housemates--Marvel vs. Capcom, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Skullgirls (what my Halloween costume was from!)--but I'm not very good.

I wish I had more time for games, haha. I have a PC, a Wii, and a PS2. Sometimes my bf and I play LOTR on his Xbox 360. The last few games I played were Mass Effect 3, The Witcher 2, and Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. I really, really want to play Skyrim, I just know that it will totally consume my attention if I do! Maybe over Christmas break... All I really play now is Dark Summoner on my phone! :laugh:

Anime club at my school is doing a game night. :D There's a Brawl tournament, Street Fighter, and I'm occasionally playing Rock Band.

I own a gaming PC, Wii, and Nintendo DS plus a few older systems. :rolleyes:

I'm a HUGE fan of Portal (both the first one and the sequel). I obsess over that game! :p Recently, I started playing Half Life. Other computer games I enjoy include Unreal Tournament, Audiosurf, Shatter, Age of Mythology, and the Sims 2 (own 3, but haven't played it). For the Wii, my favorite games are Okami and Super Smash Brothers. For the DS, I own Pokemon Black, Okami Den (never opened it yet), Kingdom Hearts, Warioware, and a bunch of others.

Playing Pokemon Pinball on the GameBoy Color lately. probably gonna go back to Crystal again soon.
Crystal was my first Pokemon game, and one of my two favorites. I've caught all but one Pokemon in it. I own the GBA version of Pokemon Pinball, and I think it's a fun game. :)

I'm a HUGE fan of Portal (both the first one and the sequel). I obsess over that game! :p Recently, I started playing Half Life. Other computer games I enjoy include Unreal Tournament, Audiosurf, Shatter, Age of Mythology, and the Sims 2 (own 3, but haven't played it). For the Wii, my favorite games are Okami and Super Smash Brothers. For the DS, I own Pokemon Black, Okami Den (never opened it yet), Kingdom Hearts, Warioware, and a bunch of others.

Crystal was my first Pokemon game, and one of my two favorites. I've caught all but one Pokemon in it. I own the GBA version of Pokemon Pinball, and I think it's a fun game. :)

It's not my first one (first was blue), but it's my favorite. :love:

Portal! The summer before last I went through the co-op mode of Portal 2 with my boyfriend. Fun times. :)

Love Skyrim :)

Anyone playing the new Assassin's Creed right now?

Love Skyrim :)

Anyone playing the new Assassin's Creed right now?

Skyrim is so great! I haven't played it in a while but I'd be ready to give it a go again. Has anyone tried the Dawnguard expansion?

I haven't played the new Assassin's creed myself yet but some of my friends have given it mixed reviews so far. Maybe it gets better later, but I've been told it's really cinematic and that all of the cut scenes kind of throw off your immersion and pace in the game.

Unfortunately my xbox died a couple weeks ago (went strong for 6 years though!) It is a bit frustrating though, I was just about to kill the last boss in Dark Souls and now I have to wait until I buy another console to finish the game. Probably going to get a new one to have over the holiday break; more fuel for my laziness :laugh: (and to give Halo 4 a go)

In the meantime I'm using my housemate's PS3 to play Demon's Souls...

I have a ton of games on my Steam account that I don't have enough time to play. Also my laptop often likes to be stupid and mess with the graphics...I'm getting a new one when I graduate (and if no one will buy it for me, I will!) Over the summer I was mainly playing Psychonauts and Half Life 2. I was totally into old school Nintendo. I got the special Pikachu edition Game Boy Color and a Yellow game when they first came out. Pokemon and Kirby are probably my top two. :D I love when the hotels have an N64 and I can play Pokemon Snap or Kirby and the Crystal Shards...so much nostalgia.

I also hang out with a bunch of gamers who are into the CoD type stuff. My boyfriend is currently playing the new Assassin's Creed game (he's a history major and he loves that series). I also play some PS3 fighting games with him and his housemates--Marvel vs. Capcom, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Skullgirls (what my Halloween costume was from!)--but I'm not very good.

Steam sales are simply glorious. Those are one of the few things that make me a bit disappointed with my Mac sometimes (though not too much since most of my gaming is still on consoles). I haven't played it too much yet, but several weeks ago they had a sale and I picked up Terraria for like 2 dollars and downloaded a skin so it works on Mac OS :D

I don't have much time for it, but I love Minecraft =)

I love how my idea of great video games are the old versions of super mario brothers, mario kart and sonic the hedgehog on sega. I loved those games. Never could get into the more advanced game consoles. Even now if I had the choice between the wii/playstation/xbox or the nintendo/super nintendo/sega I would pick one of the latter.

I also don't play PC games either. Guess my gaming ended quite some time ago. If I beat the nintendo console long enough it will eventually work and I believe the sega is still going strong, haven't tried it in a few years. The super nintendo console finally crapped out... that was sad. :(

I love how my idea of great video games are the old versions of super mario brothers, mario kart and sonic the hedgehog on sega.
:thumbup:

You're certainly right about that.

How about Star Wars games? KotOR I/II? The Old Republic MMO? Jedi Knight?
Also, I am an ex-WoW addict--calling all others out there to pipe up! :laugh:

Skyrim is so great! I haven't played it in a while but I'd be ready to give it a go again. Has anyone tried the Dawnguard expansion?

I haven't played the new Assassin's creed myself yet but some of my friends have given it mixed reviews so far. Maybe it gets better later, but I've been told it's really cinematic and that all of the cut scenes kind of throw off your immersion and pace in the game.

Unfortunately my xbox died a couple weeks ago (went strong for 6 years though!) It is a bit frustrating though, I was just about to kill the last boss in Dark Souls and now I have to wait until I buy another console to finish the game. Probably going to get a new one to have over the holiday break; more fuel for my laziness :laugh: (and to give Halo 4 a go)

In the meantime I'm using my housemate's PS3 to play Demon's Souls...

I admire anyone who can get through that game. I haven't played it, but watched my roommate play it last year. It looked so frustrating and he had to cheat for nearly every boss! One night he played a drinking game where he took a drink every time he died..... let's just say he was drunk very quickly :laugh:

I tend to go on a gaming bender for two or three weeks and then shake it off and not touch it for a few months. I haven't played Pokemon since Yellow was the cool new thing, but I've played through with four or five characters each in KOTOR, KOTOR2, and Dragon Age: Origins. Haven't gotten my hands on original Portal, but I enjoyed Portal 2. Dragon Age 2 may have cost me a letter grade on the last Micro exam. :oops: I'm not picky; I've raised Sims and Sim Cities, built Rollercoasters as a Tycoon, and marched fantasy armies across more RTS battlefields than I care to think about. Star Wars? I'll see your KOTOR and raise you Battlefront, Republic Commando, and X-Wing. My deepest regret is that I no longer own a computer capable of playing classics like Age of Empires and Rogue Squadron.

And did I mention Starcraft? The Starcraft benders are awesome. :D

I admire anyone who can get through that game. I haven't played it, but watched my roommate play it last year. It looked so frustrating and he had to cheat for nearly every boss! One night he played a drinking game where he took a drink every time he died..... let's just say he was drunk very quickly :laugh:

http://preparetodrink.com/ :laugh:

Truth be told, yes it is a challenge, but it's a game where once you get a handle on things you can really move through it. The toughness is fair though, and when you die it's always due to your own mistakes. The lack of guidance more than anything else is what makes it such an arduous game to play through, though certainly some of those bosses are no push overs either.

Demon's Souls, the predecessor of Dark Souls, is in my opinion noticeably harder than Dark Souls. Making good progress on it though. Hoping I can beat it before I get the new xbox ;)

I love the souls games! Besides the thrill of the challenge, they're just very well made games. I'm hoping they'll release another. Much of contemporary gaming has turned soft to cater to the desires of a casual user base, and that's fine if it keeps the industry afloat, but many gamers want something that isn't so easy.

Looks cool!

I haven't gotten any add-ons for Skyrim because (believe it or not, after 137 hours played...) I still haven't beaten the main campaign of the game! :oops: I've done all of the other main quests afaik, so that's really all I've got left. Maybe when I eventually beat it I'll get an add-on :)

The problem for me is that the dungeons and caves all started to feel really repetitive. I still love the game and think the story is great, but at this point a lot of it just feels like grinding! :( God forbid I have to go through a dwemer ruin (they're so loooong!) :rolleyes: So for now I'm giving Skyrim a break and waiting until I really get an ache to play it again!

I have a Wii that used to get used a lot but it is now catching dust for the last few years since vet school started (before that I had the original PS - but the Japanese version:laugh:)

Now I exclusively waste my time on WW in the prevet forum. :eek:

The problem for me is that the dungeons and caves all started to feel really repetitive. I still love the game and think the story is great, but at this point a lot of it just feels like grinding! :( God forbid I have to go through a dwemer ruin (they're so loooong!) :rolleyes: So for now I'm giving Skyrim a break and waiting until I really get an ache to play it again!

I feel you completely and I'm doing the same thing. I absolutely love the game but after a while of side questing, and the guilds, and the storyline, it does get a bit repetitive and can feel like a chore. I haven't touched it in quite a few months so maybe over the holiday break after I finish off Dark Souls.

I think starting a new character should make it more interesting though (by the end of it all my first character got stupidly strong stats and equipment and could kill anything in just one or two spells or sword slashes). I'll probably go back and ignore the main storyline and just finish the couple things I didn't do and get all the new content.

My housemate is pissed that at least for a quite a while the DLC won't be available for PS3:smuggrin:

My other house (the guys' house I hang out in all the time) got Playstation All Stars. I really want to play Big Daddy and Sir Daniel Fortesque, but they're not very good/I can't play them well. I rock as Sly Cooper, though, and I'm pretty good with Sackboy.

...I have also given all of these characters nicknames. :cool:

Just got Assassin's Creed 3!!!!!

I don't know how I missed this thread before!
I play almost exclusively PC. Most of my time is spent between WoW and Diablo 3, but I've also really enjoyed Fallout 3/NV and the Assassin's Creed series (I haven't played AC3 yet).
Skyrim looks pretty awesome, I just haven't gotten around to getting it yet. Every Steam Summer Sale I usually end up buying enough games to last me a year!

My housemate's PS3 had a meltdown the other day, had to reformat the harddrive. All data gone. I was so close to finishing Demon's Souls. Now back to square one :lame:

I play almost exclusively PC. Most of my time is spent between WoW and Diablo 3, but I've also really enjoyed Fallout 3/NV and the Assassin's Creed series (I haven't played AC3 yet).
Skyrim looks pretty awesome, I just haven't gotten around to getting it yet. Every Steam Summer Sale I usually end up buying enough games to last me a year!

Skyrim is great, definitely get it!

Last edited:

Steam sale is the greatest thing and I have way too many games I don't have time to play because of it.

Do any PC gamers on here get the Humble Indie Bundles or the Indie Royale bundles? What do you think of them?

I LOVE KOTOR 1 AND 2!!! Gosh it feels like no one ever cares about those old xbox games but those are by far my favorite. Can't believe they decided to make an MMO instead of another for the xbox but I guess the console was dying out.

interesting thread! ;) Didn't have time to read through the whole thing. Previous WoW player - somewhere in the deep dark closets of Blizzard my lonely Lvl 85 Hunter is gathering dust and wondering why I never upgraded her gear. I have no idea how anyone can play duirng vet school. Not sure if I'll ever pick it up again but it was fun while it lasted. Sadly, I think I miss the holidays and my guild the most!

Anyone play tabletop games?

I had a DnD (3.5/Pathfinder) group at school since freshman year, but we haven't had time to play at all this year (we were trying to get some new people into the group, but they're notoriously difficult to schedule). We've also done some Paranoia, All Flesh Must be Eaten, and Gamma World. :D

Anyone play tabletop games?

Yep! D&D here - I've played with three different groups, mostly with a modified 3.5 system. I haven't had time/a group to play with for a few years, but I would love to find a group at school (when I'm in school) and do little 4-hour one-shots or something sometime. I did a 3-week long steampunk modded campaign once, it was really fun. I was an "archaeologist" (rogue/bard), and played it mostly like Indiana Jones with a posh British accent. Good times.:D

Yep! D&D here - I've played with three different groups, mostly with a modified 3.5 system. I haven't had time/a group to play with for a few years, but I would love to find a group at school (when I'm in school) and do little 4-hour one-shots or something sometime. I did a 3-week long steampunk modded campaign once, it was really fun. I was an "archaeologist" (rogue/bard), and played it mostly like Indiana Jones with a posh British accent. Good times.:D

Hehehe I love those characters.

I've got a group that has a ton of games and we play together on Friday nights. We're playing a game called Space Alert right now and when you create your character it has a little box on your CS that says "I agree to be cloned." I was all "WTF?" and my friends said if you don't check the box you're playing at super difficulty. So, I agreed to be cloned.

We set up the first game that night and my friend pulls out her CS... she is Cpt. Mo Awesomer the Third. Apparently Mo Awesomer Sr and Jr did not check the clone me box :laugh:

Hehehe I love those characters.

I've got a group that has a ton of games and we play together on Friday nights. We're playing a game called Space Alert right now and when you create your character it has a little box on your CS that says "I agree to be cloned." I was all "WTF?" and my friends said if you don't check the box you're playing at super difficulty. So, I agreed to be cloned.

We set up the first game that night and my friend pulls out her CS... she is Cpt. Mo Awesomer the Third. Apparently Mo Awesomer Sr and Jr did not check the clone me box :laugh:

Hah!

I had a friend once who named a character Herr Doktor Professor Baron Tobias "Freitag" der Dreizehnter - Mr. Dr. Professor Baron Tobias "Friday" the thirteenth. I started calling him "Herr Doktor" all the time. But, really? The thirteenth?