Other OT-Related Information OT personality/Being more talkative and social

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eot1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been shadowing for a week at a center with older individuals and the OT told me that I am too quiet. I feel the same way. I know I'm too quiet. It's not that I have things to say and am anxious. I just have nothing to say and have slight anxiety. The only thing I can come up with is asking about the patients' diagnosis, which I don't vocalize since it's personal.

I know I've got to be more social for this profession because I really want to be an OT. It is something I continue to work on in a different location, a pediatric setting and I am getting better at being okay with interacting with kids by myself and talking with them, but I might be quiet again sometimes.

It's hard for me in this new setting and population. I'm nearly completely silent when I'm there. I just don't know how to become a better conversationalist. I don't want to be the person that needs another person to start the conversation, but that's been how it was since I was young. Anybody who went through a similar situation or has any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems that's just your personality. You're not an extravert. Not a lot you can do about that. But you can consciously make an effort to be more engaging while working. It'll take some practice. I'd suggest selecting a friend or befriending someone who is extraverted to encourage you to find your voice. But preferably someone extraverted and funny. Otherwise, it just comes off condescending rather than lighthearted & fun.

Reactions: 1 users
give yourself some time to get comfortable, it's only been a week. when you start seeing the same people more and more it will become easier. try to pick up on patients likes and build off of that. for older patients, ask them where they grew up, that never fails. they'll go on and on and you just have to put in a "that's cool" here and there.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been shadowing for a week at a center with older individuals and the OT told me that I am too quiet. I feel the same way. I know I'm too quiet. It's not that I have things to say and am anxious. I just have nothing to say and have slight anxiety. The only thing I can come up with is asking about the patients' diagnosis, which I don't vocalize since it's personal.

I know I've got to be more social for this profession because I really want to be an OT. It is something I continue to work on in a different location, a pediatric setting and I am getting better at being okay with interacting with kids by myself and talking with them, but I might be quiet again sometimes.

It's hard for me in this new setting and population. I'm nearly completely silent when I'm there. I just don't know how to become a better conversationalist. I don't want to be the person that needs another person to start the conversation, but that's been how it was since I was young. Anybody who went through a similar situation or has any advice?

Depending on what program you get into a professor may say you have a therapeutic use of self issue, and that may hold you back. It would be apparent when you have practicals, level 1s and 2s will specifically ask about it on evals. This is for my school, not sure if other schools make a big deal of it.

I like what the other posters said about what to do especially putting in a "thats cool" when appropriate. I had some clients in my age group and was marked down 3 times in 2 evals for saying "eyyyy man" to a client. So gauge your supervisor attitude.

That is very similar to my own personality. I've always been shy around people I don't know well and like you feel as though I have nothing to really say sometimes. I won't be starting OT school until the fall but this is something I worry about as well. The only thing I can really think of is to find out what is the best general conversation starter for each kind of population. Although everyone is different, I find that many people like to talk about themselves, so asking questions about their life and hobbies can help get a convo going. This might sound silly but I also recommend smiling more, even if you can't bring yourself to start up the conversation first. Having an friendly and approachable disposition can help others open up to you. I've also found that I am much better at talking with children than I am with adults, so this has led me to consider working in pediatrics more. If you are not one for small talk like me, certain settings such as hand therapy probably wouldn't be best unless you continue to work on improving that part of the job. And like others have said, once you keep working and get more practice, it will probably come easier. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi there! First weeks can be rough, and it can be hard to interact with unfamiliar people in an unfamiliar setting. I've been called "shy" my entire life and know exactly what you're going through. It's taken a lot of practice to get comfortable and have natural conversations with patients, but there are some easy things you can do to get started. You can ask simple, open ended questions like: where are you from? what line of work where you in? what kind of music do you like? You would be surprised by how long these conversations can go on, because usually there can be follow up questions/tangents. As an OT, you shouldn't just be asking questions to make conversation or to "be social." It's about fostering a real, meaningful relationship between therapist and patient/client. I had a level 2 student recently, and making a positive, therapeutic relationship was my number one goal for her, and it was not easy. It takes time, patience, trial and error, and requires you to be confident enough to show your personality as much as is appropriate. In my experience, patient's are talked down to a majority of the time by doctors, nurses, etc. and sometimes they just want someone to talk to about everyday stuff or vent. So, don't sweat it too much now. Take a shot and ask a patient how their day is going and see where it leads. Your confidence will come with time!

Was this during fieldwork as an OT student or are you shadowing for observation hours to apply to OT school? I think different expectations for each situation is appropriate.

Thanks for your responses! The suggestions for the questions I could ask are helpful! I will try to get into clubs and activities for these things to become more natural. nOTeworthy, I like your username and thanks, I'll consciously make an effort, and be around more extraverted people. harmcharm, thanks for your advice and good luck in OT school! Congrats on your acceptance! werdna, thank you very much for your insight. I’ll keep your words in mind as I continue working to become an OT. c2902, it's shadowing for hours. I'm in college.

Guys, I think my OT is sick of me already. I came in after helping the front desk and the fieldwork student was with a patient. I said hi to both of them and I should have asked the patient how they were, but I forgot. The OT came back and I think she saw I was all quiet and she immediately sent me to PT for the rest of the day. I feel disappointed. I was really searching for things that I could do to be better in between volunteer days.

I know it’s probably silly, but I’m kind of lost here. The patient was simply doing an exercise when I walked in. Would it be weird to go right into asking a question after greeting them?

Thanks for your responses! The suggestions for the questions I could ask are helpful! I will try to get into clubs and activities for these things to become more natural. nOTeworthy, I like your username and thanks, I'll consciously make an effort, and be around more extraverted people. harmcharm, thanks for your advice and good luck in OT school! Congrats on your acceptance! werdna, thank you very much for your insight. I’ll keep your words in mind as I continue working to become an OT. c2902, it's shadowing for hours. I'm in college.

Guys, I think my OT is sick of me already. I came in after helping the front desk and the fieldwork student was with a patient. I said hi to both of them and I should have asked the patient how they were, but I forgot. The OT came back and I think she saw I was all quiet and she immediately sent me to PT for the rest of the day. I feel disappointed. I was really searching for things that I could do to be better in between volunteer days.

I know it’s probably silly, but I’m kind of lost here. The patient was simply doing an exercise when I walked in. Would it be weird to go right into asking a question after greeting them?

Maybe you should look into other settings to shadow? You might have an easier time starting out by observing a pediatric population, since they're generally a little bit more talkative. If you have time, I would suggest supplementing the setting you're currently in instead of just ditching it. Give yourself a goal to say 3 things each day; if you've been there for a bit & work with the same people, you should know a few things about them by now that you could ask them about - "How was your weekend? Did you have any visitors?" is pretty easy. I agree that you could try to find a buddy to help you see what kind of conversations would be appropriate, and modulate them a little bit to use with another client for practice! It's important to challenge yourself to thrive in unfamiliar situations, you'll be surprised at how much it'll help you feel comfortable later on when you go out on fieldwork.

This might seem like a weird suggestion, but I bet a job in customer service could really help. I'm naturally quiet and reserved like yourself. I worked at a fast food job for a year, and honestly being a cashier helped me so much with being able to talk to people. I seriously owe my talking skills to that job. While working at an office with patients is good and can help you with talking to people, in my experience the customers at a fast food job force you to be able to communicate - it's just a different group of people. Hope that makes sense and good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
I am very much the same. I actually just came from volunteering today where I said next to nothing the entire time.. over the course of 3 hours. The whole time in my head I was thinking to just say something, anything.. but then I get caught up in thinking how do I say my question or comment? Is it a good time? And then once you know it the time to say it has passed. It's awful. The worst part is I feel the OT thinks I'm zoning out and it doesn't help in getting a good LOR either. I'm partly seeking advice on this as well...

What I do know is that people LOVE to talk about themselves so stick with that and ask open-ended questions like "have any weekend plans?". Also observe them; for instance, if you notice they're wearing a shirt with a sports team on it ask them if they watched last night's game. If they have a cool shirt or piece of jewelry, comment on it, ask where they got it. I think those are little things that can help because they've helped me a bit too.

Hey! Here is some advice I wish I'd known when I was volunteering. I'm currently an OT student in my Level II's and I tell all the volunteers the same thing when I encounter them because I remember how hard it was to get through volunteer hours, especially if you were more of the quiet type (as I was!). I'm still actually quiet myself, but I'm okay with it. Here is some advice in simple terms:

Know when it is the right time to ask questions. When the OTs are doing treatment, it's best to remain more like a "fly on the wall". The reason is because as an OT, you can be trying to observe a patient as they are doing their ADLs and looking for about 20 different things that can be currently going wrong. If not experienced enough, OTs really need to focus in and observe the client themselves, no matter what setting you are volunteering in. As a volunteer, you really can't touch clients for liability reasons, but ask how you can help out during the session. Sometimes the OT will ask you do very simple things that still can be interactive with clients. Don't feel bad if you do remain quiet throughout the entire session, because it can interfere with therapy if you are asking too many questions at the wrong times. Only ask questions during the therapy session if the OT "brings you in", let's say, if the OT ask you questions directly or allows you to ask some questions. Try to ask questions after the session.

If you are given the opportunity to ask questions during a therapy session, NEVER ask any questions that you wouldn't feel comfortable telling a volunteer. Try to set the tone where the client tells you about what went wrong. Of course, you can just ask the common questions that are used for everyday conversation. Some common questions can be: How did you injury yourself? What are some things that you are currently finding difficult to do? How has this impacted you?

Remember though, when asking questions directly to the OT (and some tips to get a good LOR), try to tie every single question to function or an activity. OT is about becoming more independent in everyday activities. Ask questions that are pertinent to getting the client back their everyday routine. Ask about the goals the OT set for the client, "what are the client's goals?" Remember every single OT has different reasoning and sets up the therapy session differently. Ask the OT why did you use this specific modality? Why did they do this specific exercise? What is the purpose of A, B, and C? And lastly, how does this help the client reach their goals? You can ask about the diagnosis of a client (preferably away from the client). If you do, observe how the OT sets up the intervention session or recommends a specific exercise or activity for the client to do, then ask: how does this activity help the client with the diagnosis become more independent? If you do get the underlying diagnosis, try to go home and look up the diagnosis on wikipedia or whatever and see some of the symptoms. The following day if you happen to see the same client, watch how the OT conducts the session and note how the session improves overall function. Then, follow up with more questions after the session.

Think reasoning. Why did the OT choose "the activity they are doing"? Although, you may not understand at this at moment (but you will eventually!)...try to observe a client do their activities and try it yourself on how you can make the activity "harder" or "easier" for the client to do, or in OT lingo: try to figure out how you can grade the activity up or grade the activity down. Fellow OT students or other OTs that read this post will get the idea. If you think something will work, ask the OT in private about it and they will be impressed that you're actively observing.

What also really helped me when I was volunteering: I asked the OT if it was okay to bring a small notebook in with me and jot down just notes or observations that really interested me. On slow days, I would actively jot down things or just try to make connections to what each OT was doing and the reasoning behind it. The OT noticed I was actively engaged and actually mentioned this in my LOR. This really helped me during interviews.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I also feel like I have a bit of a problem with this, but I've found it easier when shadowing in an older population. They're always super interested in my background and my school life/career goals. Like others said, once you get them talking about themselves or where they're from/telling stories you're usually good to go

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Here are some quick tips I've learned from working in customer service/sales for the past 8 years and volunteering at the hospital with an OT this past year (YMMV per setting):

1. Good times to chat with the patient: when the OT is not talking, when the OT is setting something up, when the OT has to leave the room to get something, when the patient starts a conversation with you first, when the patient says something you also have interests in or have experienced yourself.

2. Good conversation starters: "Where are you from?"; "How long have you been here?"; "Do you need me to get you anything (water, etc)?"; "Thanks for letting me help/observe."; "I'm new. Thanks for letting me be here (YMMV depending on if they want someone with exp or not, but it usually starts a conversation as to why you're volunteering)."
-- People are usually good with small talk. If you speak their native language, it helps them feel comfortable too.

3. Bad times to chat: when the OT asks you to set something up, when the OT is assessing the patient and needs their full attention on them, when the patient is not complying (let the OT handle the situation)

4. If you have trouble talking to your OT or can't think of the appropriate time to ask the OT a question, keep a pen and notepad in your pocket and write them down so you can talk to your OT about it after you guys see the patient.

I think knowing your own personality and what you should work on is pretty important too. If you are mindful of who you are and willing to improve, you will try to make those improvements. I recommend a personality test such as: Free personality test | 16Personalities

Anyway, that's all I could think of for now. I'll add in more stuff if I think it's helpful and I hope this helps.

Some great advice here! I'll add my two cents too, since I struggled with this greatly for a lot of my life. I was always shy, had pretty bad social anxiety, and I am an introvert at heart. BUT, I still love people, and thrive on genuine human connection. But you can be all of these things at once, and still a great OT. It takes practice, and all I can say is thank goodness I wasn't dissuaded from my observation/volunteer experiences, because they were super awkward. I always felt in the way, was never sure when was the right time to chat/ask questions, etc.

What worked for me was taking time to observe the interactions of people I admired and respected. What made her/him such a great OT/person I admired? Was it their eye contact? Their big and always ready smile? Were there certain jokes that they used that always seemed to work? After a while, I gained more confidence and started coming up with my own ways of engaging naturally with clients and colleagues.

Some of my tips: 1) Smile and make eye contact with everyone, always. In hallways, walking into a room, in the grocery store. 2) Don't cross your arms, even if it's comfortable/a defense mechanism. People DO notice, whether they realize it or not. 3) Come up with some convo starters. For me as an out of state FW student working with adults, an easy one I use often is, "Are you from (whatever city you're in)?" This opens up an opportunity for me to connect about travel if they've travelled a bunch, or "Oh I've always wanted to go there!" another OT related one is "What are your favorite activities to do?" "Oh, I love hiking." "Awesome, Ive wanted to check out some trails, any recommendations?" etc, etc. Practice really does make perfect. And hey, some clients aren't that chatty, and they'll appreciate your quiet nature :)

If I can figure it out, I promise you can too!!

Omg I struggled with this too and I'm a big people person! For me I just wasn't sure how engaged I should be with the patients. I volunteered at a place who was strict with our patient interaction but then another place I was at was super informal.

I would say be yourself but make sure you are approachable. I can be more quiet when meeting new people and I was super quiet when I first shadowed a hand therapist (lots of talking there) but soon as time went on I was more comfortable of what was expected of me and was able to chat more with the OT, as well as patients. In fact we were all making jokes by the end of my time there as a volunteer.

Sometimes I think it's just intimidating to be in that setting. Just be friendly, smile, and be GENUINE! I think more than anything people look for compassion in their practitioners. Someone can be super talkative but not comforting (can come off as fake, but NOT saying talkative people are fake). I'm just saying that if you try to be something you're not- that can also come off differently. So be yourself, smile, and just practice those conversation starters! All people need most of the time is someone to listen and care. :)

I feel like I had to overcome this as well when I started working in healthcare. I had to learn how to read people and knowing when they did or didn't want to talk. Most people are delighted when you ask them questions, even just basic ones about their day. It gives them a chance to express themselves and even deal with any issues they are frustrated with. I like to stick with safe questions such as, "how is your morning going?" Whether it's positive or negative, I always try to find a chance to ask more questions to keep them talking. It shows you are interested in the details of what they're saying. Sometimes people don't want to talk, and that's okay too. When I started volunteering in hospice, it was really difficult to ask those questions because it didn't feel quite appropriate to ask a dying person what they did over the weekend.
Basically my tactic is to ask questions. Then I don't have to talk and I can keep listening to what they want to say, and I found that it breaks the ice pretty well after a few minutes.

So glad I found this by I'm looking to observe/volunteer this month and I'm terrified what to do or say. I hate getting in the way or bothering so to avoid this I usually don't say anything...and then people ask why I'm so quiet

You do not need to be an extrovert to be an OT; you do need to connect with your patients. Lots of words do not make a connection, in fact, some lackluster "assembly line" therapists talk over their patients and do not take the time to listen to their needs. When a patient is not listened to the OT cannot possibly collaborate with the patient to form a meaningful intervention.
You might end up in a setting in which your more introspective skills, and your fine tuned listening abilities truly shine. Do not think that OT is only an extroverts domain: what you have witnessed is the "clinical act". We are all actors on a stage in the world, and that is what you saw when you shadowed.