Osteopathic General Surgery Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody have any good information regarding the Colorado programs (Swedish, Sky Ridge and St. Anthonys) or the Memorial program in Ventura Ca? These are all newer programs and I'm having trouble finding good input regarding them, specifically case volumes and variety.

Members don't see this ad.

I appreciate the info. Whats the best way to stand out with that many students auditioning at the same time?

I would say there are multiple ways.

1) The residents take a look at your note in the morning when you see patients. Make it concise and to the point while including all the pertinent information. They will appreciate it and make a mental note if you are actually doing a good job. Also, if there are things that you can do (removing/changing bandages, etc.) then do it. Everything counts.

2) I think the real time to shine is in the OR. Even with a ton of students there, you will still have plenty of opportunity to scrub and show off your skills. It's probably your best face time and time to ask questions while showing your interest in the program. You'll have the opportunity to scrub with the program director also. A lot of the times, the attendings and residents will let you close the skin, so make sure you are able to do so.

3) Lastly, if you want, you can always hang out with the residents if they are rounding, going to see consults, etc. That's also a good opportunity to connect. They don't let students in their call room (I never experienced this anywhere else), so if there is down time then you just hang out in the library, cafeteria or even the OR.

4) Take extra shifts. Everyone gets a schedule with your day of call for the week as well as the weekend you are going to work. There usually aren't more than 1-2 students on a night shift or weekend, so sometimes you might be able to snag an extra weekend or night call.

Even with a lot of students on, you can still make yourself stand out. Obviously, interview day is still important as well as the pre-interview dinner, so I'd just be on your game at all times.

Last edited:
Would greatly appreciate any advice or direction:
Currently finishing OMSIII
Class Rank= ~Top 15%
Research= Some posters no publications. Currently working on a project
Board Scores: USMLE Step 1= 251 COMLEX1 = 680
Clinical Experience: 5 years outside of medical school
Volunteer work: Tons

I am considering applying general surgery, however I am still working on ruling out certain subspecialities. Now that I'm scheduling audition rotations I would appreciate any advice regarding programs to schedule as "reach" rotations. Specifically whether I should schedule DO rotations or MD rotations and essentially which match/programs I should primarily focus on. Thanks.

With your stats, I would deff go MD gen surg. I don't know if geography is a factor for you when applying to residency, but NE states seem to be pretty DO friendly and I think you would have a good shot at landing a MD gen surg spot. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody auditioned at Allegiance in MI? It's a newer program but they seem to have it together pretty well...any ideas on it?

With your stats, I would deff go MD gen surg. I don't know if geography is a factor for you when applying to residency, but NE states seem to be pretty DO friendly and I think you would have a good shot at landing a MD gen surg spot. Good luck!
Really is a tough choice to give up on some great DO programs to go MD but hopefully the interviews will give me some more insight. Thank you.

Really is a tough choice to give up on some great DO programs to go MD but hopefully the interviews will give me some more insight. Thank you.
Oh, absolutely! I think there are some really good DO programs out there and esp now with the Merger the flimsy ones are prolly not gonna make it. Good luck!

Has anybody auditioned at Allegiance in MI? It's a newer program but they seem to have it together pretty well...any ideas on it?

I was wondering the same thing. I am considering doing an audition rotation there. Scheduling this 4th year has been a major pain. I have good board scores and am in top 10% of class but everything I read is: "you must have done an audition here to really be considered"

Bump! any insight on some programs from 4th years that matched???? advice???

BUMP!!! Hey yall, anybody willing to share some info about MI program or the new CO programs??? Would greatly appreciate it!

BUMP!!! Hey yall, anybody willing to share some info about MI program or the new CO programs??? Would greatly appreciate it!

Would be nice. BUT, I know I won't be posting anything significant till after audition season. I'm hoping to have interviews at some of these places so I'll post about what I think after I get some experience. Playing the waiting game for letters right now.

Hey guys I am a 3rd year med student. I don't know if this is the correct place, but I wanted to know how my chances were for AOA gen surg programs.

COMLEX Level 1: 541
Research: none in med school, some molecular bio research during undergrad (couple of posters)
Volunteering: Tons throughout med school (received recognition)
Work experience: 4 jobs before med school in teaching and biology/chem labs
Other: presented "community health" talks during med school

Is it worth it to try and audition at places like Doctors or St. Joe's? Would it help to have strong family ties in an area that has a gen surg residency program?

Thanks!

Your Level 1 score is ok, not impressive but ok. Deff do better on Level 2, deff get strong letters of recs and kill auditions and you'll be fine. The problem you're going to be facing is the whole merger/match situation. There are speculations that some AOA programs will forgo the AOA match as soon as they get ACGME accredited so you gotta keep that in mind...just putting things into perspective for you. Good luck!

Hey guys I am a 3rd year med student. I don't know if this is the correct place, but I wanted to know how my chances were for AOA gen surg programs.

COMLEX Level 1: 541
Research: none in med school, some molecular bio research during undergrad (couple of posters)
Volunteering: Tons throughout med school (received recognition)
Work experience: 4 jobs before med school in teaching and biology/chem labs
Other: presented "community health" talks during med school

Is it worth it to try and audition at places like Doctors or St. Joe's? Would it help to have strong family ties in an area that has a gen surg residency program?

Thanks!
I would skip doctors and St. Joe. They are both very board heavy. I know doing an audition makes a difference but I feel like it comes to a point where they just start doing courtesy interviews. I would secure rotations at places that will still be participating in DO match next year and have DEFINITELY already applied. Grandview is a good option. It's also look into some of the Michigan programs. There isn't a ton of info about the new programs so keep your ears up. You can match with those stats for sure, just maybe not at your to pick.

Sent from my SM-T710 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I would skip doctors and St. Joe. They are both very board heavy. I know doing an audition makes a difference but I feel like it comes to a point where they just start doing courtesy interviews. I would secure rotations at places that will still be participating in DO match next year and have DEFINITELY already applied. Grandview is a good option. It's also look into some of the Michigan programs. There isn't a ton of info about the new programs so keep your ears up. You can match with those stats for sure, just maybe not at your to pick.

Sent from my SM-T710 using SDN mobile

I would definitely look into MI programs, there are several that are really good and last I checked at least one has Initial Accreditation. PCOM is also a strong program. I would deff schedule auditions at places you're really interested in. Good luck!

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has information on the KCUMB program at St Mary's. I would appreciate any info that anyone can provide. Thanks.

Anyone have any info on Largos program? Seems pretty small for a relatively large hospital.

I love GS. 225 Step 1. 505 Level 1. No clinical grades yet but have honored the months thus far. Probably only passed IM 2 and Surgery 2 though because I felt depressed Af for the vast majority of them and it unfortunately showed.

Should I just not do GS at all? Specifically I'm dreaming of CT surgery or, dare I say it, pediatric (probably a long long long shot). I like Vascular too.

Edit:

I will have a poster presentation (non-case report) at a conference as well as one case report at an ACP conference. Additionally I did a literature review for one of my attendings which hopefully will be published at some point (will include on my resume) and one summer of basic science research. I also have a strong record of research from ugrad (no pubs sadly)

I love GS. 225 Step 1. 505 Level 1. No clinical grades yet but have honored the months thus far. Probably only passed IM 2 and Surgery 2 though because I felt depressed Af for the vast majority of them and it unfortunately showed.

Should I just not do GS at all? Specifically I'm dreaming of CT surgery or, dare I say it, pediatric (probably a long long long shot). I like Vascular too.

Edit:

I will have a poster presentation (non-case report) at a conference as well as one case report at an ACP conference. Additionally I did a literature review for one of my attendings which hopefully will be published at some point (will include on my resume) and one summer of basic science research. I also have a strong record of research from ugrad (no pubs sadly)

I'm not sure what is needed for AOA surgery spots, but I suspect that's where you'll find your best chances for success. If you can do really well on Step 2, that could help with ACGME apps. Don't even worry about CT, peds, or vascular right now. Look for GS spots and plan to do audition rotations. Surgery isn't totally closed to you.

I will have a poster presentation (non-case report) at a conference as well as one case report at an ACP conference. Additionally I did a literature review for one of my attendings which hopefully will be published at some point (will include on my resume) and one summer of basic science research. I also have a strong record of research from ugrad (no pubs sadly)[/QUOTE

I agree with ThoracicGuy, surgery is not totally off the table BUT ur COMLEX is a big low for Gen Surg....u're gonna have to hustle and do really well on Level 2. I would deff take Step 2 and possible go the ACGME route. You also NEED to do auditions and KILL them esp since you have lower stats.....I can tell you that some of the DO programs that have Initial Accreditation will potentially go ACGME match next year so you have to also consider that .....bottom line, not all is lost, study hard and assess the situation after your Step 2 scores....and deff don't worry about specialities now, focus your energy into getting a gen surg spot. Good luck!

Hi all. OMS3 looking for places to do audition rotations for GS. Specifically looking in NY,PA,OH,MI, with MI area as top choice. Any suggestions for hospitals to rotate at and what are your thoughts on the programs?

Help! I am an MS-III who's trying to get started setting up auditions and would love some advice from MS-IVs about to match or current residents. Due to some required rotations, I only have September, October, and November open for auditions. I'm from the south so I don't know much about most of the NE/Midwest/West Coast residencies besides what I've gotten off of this and other forums. Should I split those months up into 2 week rotations or will it be better to do 4 week rotations? Comlex 1- 546, top 15% of my class, strong recs, and lots of volunteer work.

What programs am I in the running for with a COMLEX I in the upper 400s? I really want to do GS..

Level 1: 674, Level 2: 704, top 10%, 1 gen surg letter, 1 urologist letter, 1 family med letter

So I didn’t fall into knowing I wanted to do surgery until about halfway into my 4rd year. It was probably around February, so a lot of programs had already started filling up audition spots. I ended up auditioning at South Pointe, Grandview, Allegiance Health, Geisinger Wyoming Valley. Total of 3 months. I did 3rd year at a community hospital with only a Family Medicine residency…so starting auditions was waaay different. I worked every day during my 3rd year clerkship so it wasn’t terribly different.

South Pointe: first audition, 2 weeks. Didn’t care for this at all. Started days at 430-500. Ended….whenever. This was probably me not knowing how to manage my time. I was always active doing something (trying to read or find surgeries) but the residents were not really into talking to students rotating much. They had daily didactics – SCORE questions, some Cleveland clinic webinars, readings from Sabiston or Greenfield. Most of the residents seemed disinterested and didn’t take much interest in didactics. With that said, though…they are all very nice and helpful if you asked. Case volume was really really low when I was there. Like, really low. A few days of the week had no surgeries at all. Surgical skill varied a lot resident to resident. There was also some disagreement with the program director. I guess they cover another hospital in the area which has a higher case volume but students weren’t allowed to go. They have epic here.

The service was similar to everywhere else – color coated teams.

Allegiance: just got ACGME accreditation. I put the most hours in here. The first of two weeks here were ridiculously busy. I think I was in the hospital for 115-120h. The second weeks was on a different service so it was much better in terms of hours. Residents all praised their attendings for teaching and adjusting as the program grew. A few of the surgeons are really into the Da Vinci. Which is nice for training since they do actually have a trainer, but it can be dull as a student (and resident switching instruments). Seemed like they had pretty good diversity. The hospital is a decent size and they serve a fairly poor community so you can expect poor compliance. They had didactics once a week on Fridays. They were probably the best that I have experienced so far. I liked all the residents except one intern. He/She drove me crazy – crazy enough that I considered not ranking the program.

I went to 13 interviews. Here are my invites --

South Pointe, Allegiance, Geisinger WV, Flushing, ORMC, St. James, Cape Fear, Sky Ridge, St. Anthony’s, Swedish, Community Memorial Hospital, Paterson NJ (whatever it was called), Mountain Vista, Plaza, Metro (grand rapids), Carilion, Mercy . . . can’t remember others. I got an email from Rowan saying they wanted to interview but couldn’t extend an invite without my PE results (smh).

I’ll finish this later! Just bear with me.

As for the last three posts about chances, Aventushead, browse through some of these posts. Anything below 550 is kind of low, but you will ABSOLUTELY have a chance if you are strategic about your auditions.

Last edited:
Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has information on the KCUMB program at St Mary's. I would appreciate any info that anyone can provide. Thanks.

Went unfilled with 2 spots this year.

*ATTENTION: LONG POST*

I wanted to post something because I had no idea what I was doing when I went through it as a 3rd year so I’m hoping this will help someone.
COMLEX 1: 543, COMLEX 2: 571, PE: Pass first time. Top 20% of my class. Had 3 strong letters, one from Trauma Surgeon, one from GS, and one from IM.
Before I start I just want to say that this is my opinion and my experience with these programs so don’t start freaking out on me.
I auditioned at Henry Ford Allegiance, Henry Ford Macomb, Botsford, and PCOM.

Henry Ford Macomb- Clinton Township
• large community hospital, I think over 400 beds, take 4 residents/year
• residents are very skilled in the OR, have a lot of autonomy. Residents are not the nicest, kind of cocky and don’t really let you into their bubble. There were times when I felt like they wanted the students to beg to get into the program and I’m not about that life. They also talk crap about each other behind each other’s backs which was very off putting to me.
• they have didactics M, Tu, Fri with the residents- very strong didactics
• Medical student didactics are on Weds. You will have to do a presentation as a 4th year. They apparently attach it to your application file.
• Deff a strong program. The residents hold each other accountable, they pimp each other and don't take BS. I have worked extremely hard on this rotation, didn’t have any days off . From what the residents told me the PD cares a lot about board scores so keep that in mind.
• You get to scrub in as a student quite a bit, they let you close most of the time. Expect to be pimped in the OR, even if you’re not scrubbed.
• The PD is a vascular guy, doesn’t seem very involved in the program but they have pretty good vascular variety
• Pretty weak in trauma, mostly ortho stuff, blunt traumas, level 2. They go to Sinai Grace for a level 1 trauma rotation. They also go to HF main for SICU, Beaumont for breast and colorectal. They have night float.
• You don’t get much OR time as an intern.
• At my interview, I was told they didn’t get ACGME accreditation because the 5th year residents have several out rotations that year and per ACGME they should be in house the entire year so expect some scheduling changes in the future, not a major issue to change.
• You get $60 for the entire month for food in cafeteria, food is good. No housing provided by the hospital

HF Allegiance
• First graduating class in 2017, large community hospital close to 500 beds, they take 3 residents/year. Not an ideal location, about 45 min away from Ann Arbor, housing is cheap.
• ACGME ACCREDITED
• The PD is a young guy that went to Botsford and did a minimally invasive fellowship at Geisenger so they use the robot quite a bit. I have seen a lot of robotic and laparoscopic surgery at this place. The PD is kind of OCD, kind of exhausting to work with some days because he’s so freaking neurotic. He didn’t pimp me during the week that I worked with him.
• The residents are AWESOME! Simply awesome! Probably my favorite bunch of residents that I have worked with on auditions. Very down to earth, want to get the students involved.
• It’s a level 2 trauma but they get some pretty good traumas since it’s the only hospital in the whole area. I’ve seen pretty good variety of cases.
• They have education on Fridays, including M&M and intern bootcamp for a couple months in the beginning of the year. Intern bootcamp consists of a lot of hands on clinical skill…how to use GIA staplers for anastomosis, vents, laprascopic stations….very hands on with the residents helping out and usually one of the attendings. It was one of my favorite things during the rotation. They’re in the process of building a SIM lab on site.
• I did one weekend and IT WAS BUSY!!!! not sure how busy they generally are but we were running around like crazy. The attendings kind of round with the chief resident or alone so I feel like you’re missing out on some education.
• Housing is across the stress from the hospital so you don't have to worry about traveling in the morning. You get $100/2weeks for food in cafeteria, food is pretty good.
• Overall, I think it’s a great program. The attendings are young and are invested into making the program great. I think it says something about it since they’ve received accreditation after 4 years.

Botsford
• I was told the program is not what it used to be but I didn’t want to believe it bc I’ve heard so many great things about Botsford but I was very disappointed during my 2 week audition.
• First of all, after talking to several residents, they don't really get to operate until they’re 3rd years, which is not acceptable to me. I scrubbed in with two separate 4th years on 2 separate occasions with 2 separate attendings and I wasn't impressed with their skills. One of the residents wasn't able to suture the mesh in a lap hernia repair and asked the attending to take over.
• The PD is an older guy, super old school and formal for no reason. He makes the residents formally present during rounds, which is a total waste of time to me. The residents weren’t approachable at all.
• They do a ton of colonoscopies which I absolutely hate. I question their case load and the level of autonomy they have.
• I wasn’t impressed with their didactics at all. I felt like they didn’t take the lectures seriously and kept goofing around when a resident was presenting.
• I honestly don’t know what the hype is all about when it comes to this program, at best I would give it a C.

PCOM
• I was told PCOM is a malignant program but I didn’t get that impression at all. I was between 2 hospitals and I had a great experience. One of the hospitals has good case volume, including whipples, bariatric surgery, robot cases. The other hospital I was at is smaller and has bread and butter gen surg cases, such as hernias, and lap. choles. I took trauma call at the larger hospital and I saw my first thoracotomy in the ED. It’s a level 2 but they get a lot of penetrating trauma d/t the area the hospital is in. The residents I worked with were awesome, not malignant in any way.
• You can work as little or as much as you want to.
• They have initial accreditation and they’re definitely a strong program.
• The only draw back I have was the traveling situation. I had to drive between 2 hospital and it got old really fast. I can’t imagine having to be on the road so much for 5 years.

Interviews:

Palisades- NJ
Newer program, they’re graduating their first class I think in 2017. Take 3/year. They cover 3 different hospitals. Palisades, the smallest out of the 3 is a 200 bed hospital on the Hudson River, overlooking Manhattan. Gorgeous view, interns spend most of their time at this place. Englewood, larger hospital, apparently in a rich area, has good volume. Hackensack, is the largest hospital, over 1000 beds, residents go there for different rotations throughout residency there. One of my classmates auditioned there and seems like they had problems with their case volume in the past but that problem has resolved since they changed the curriculum around. They’re making positive changes every year and the PD is very involved and listens to what the residents have to say. Interview was pretty laid back, 3 rooms, one is with the PD, one with the assistant director and the other one is with 2 residents. They didn't pimp me at all, mostly conversations about my application and life in general. Their pay is VERY LOW for that area. Housing in north Jersey is absolutely ridiculous so keep that in mind. Overall, I think it has the potential to be a good program.

Swedish, CO
ACGME Accredited
Newer program, they have PGY2 now. They take 3/year. All the interns last year auditioned there.
Very strong Level 1 trauma program. If trauma is your thing, this is the place you should audition. The residents said they get more blunt vs penetrating trauma though so keep that in mind.
They actually do trauma clinical research in house, which was pretty impressive given that it’s considered a community hospital.
They get their case numbers from trauma cases/ACS so that’s something you have to consider. Not a lot of scheduled cases.
The attendings seemed to be very nice and very involved with teaching the residents.
The residents work a lot, call Q3-4 days because they don't have enough bodies but they also get to do a lot because there are not seniors above.
Area around Denver is absolutely gorgeous so you can’t go wrong with that location.

Sky Ridge, CO
Very new program, they have PGY1. They take 6/year. At my interview, the PD said they’re going to take 3/year starting next year in 2018.
Given that it’s a new program, you will have to be flexible. There are things that are not set in place yet so if you’re OCD about knowing everything ahead of time, this is probably not the place for you.
They do ortho, urology, Neurosurgery during their intern year along with the typical intern rotations like IM, EM, Trauma/ICU.
Level 2 trauma, lots of blunt traumas.
They have didactics once a week on Thu where the residents or attendings give lectures. I felt like the didactics needed some work but, again, it’s a new program so it’s expected.

J.C. Lincoln-AZ
Newer program, have PGY3 now. Take 2/year.
Strong level 1 trauma. I talked to students that auditioned there and said that the trauma/ACS service is intense.
The attendings are very involved in teaching the residents. They have a DaVinci Robot for the residents to practice on.
At the resident dinner, some of the residents weren’t very interactive, felt like I was pulling teeth when asking questions.

Inspira-NJ
Graduating their first class this year. Took 3 this year.
I was actually surprised about what this place had to offer. They are a community based hospital but they pretty much have every specialty in house. The location is kind of remote, some residents live as far as Philly and commute about 50 min every day (I know, crazy!)
They go to Crozer, in Philly for their trauma rotation.
They had a really nice, new SIM lab for the residents
The residents were really nice!! The PD seemed to be very involved and receptive at what the residents need
One of the interns I know was very happy to have matched there last year.

MedySis Health Network-Flushing NY
ACGME Accredited- apparently they lost their MD accreditation a while back then they became a DO program and now they have Initial ACGME Accreditation again.
Small community hospital, take 3/year
Older hospital but I was told this is pretty common in NY
The attendings seemed to be very involved, the didactics were pretty solid per the residents I talked to.
The hospital is located in Queens, NY which has a high non-English speaking population, primarily Asians so keep that in mind.

Geisenger-PA
ACGME Accredited
Large hospital system throughout PA
VERY family oriented program. The chief resident I spoke with at the resident dinner had 4 kids during her 5 year residency. They seem to support each other a lot and do a lot of activities with their families.
The PD was a very nice, down to earth guy. Most of attendings are involved in research and they expect you to also get involved. The PD is on the committee that handles ACGME accreditation so they won't have issues in the future with that for sure.
Location SUCKS, literally in the middle of nowhere which is why they probably pay better than most places.

Orange Medical Center- Middletown NY
Very new program, interviewing for their intern class in 2017.
Apparently, they had Transitional year last year, which functioned as surgery interns and will transition into PGY2 in July 2017. Questionable set up if you ask me
Brand new hospital, located in a very rural area, level 2 trauma.

CarePoint Health-Bayonne, NJ
Newer program, have PGY2.
Very questionable program, I’m going to be surprised if they make the merger.
The resident that gave us the tour wasn't able to answer simple questions about the program’s structure.
The PD seems to be involved but not sure if that’s enough.

If you can, I suggest you schedule auditions at HF Macomb, HF Allegiance, PCOM to see if you don’t mind traveling. If you’re interested in a Level 1 trauma, I definitely recommend Swedish and J.C. Lincoln.

As far as auditions go, just be yourself, don't kiss ass, don’t be a gunner, work hard, READ, READ, and READ. If an attending is asking you something that you don’t know, go home, read it and talk about it the next day.
My mentor advised me to not shy away from new programs. Often times, you end up working harder and get to do things earlier at a new program because there are not seniors above you so keep that in mind when you audition and interview at different places.

I matched at one of my top programs so I’m super duper excited to graduate and start this crazy journey!!!!!! Just work hard, it’s going to pay off at the end!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Current 3rd year here constantly having internal debates with myself on where to apply. Level 1 551, Step 1 233, top 10-15% of class, honors in both surgery rotations. With this whole merger, I was really hoping to go to an ACGME program but idk if that would be shooting myself in the foot to not match. I would only want to consider DO programs that are already accredited and I've already planned on setting my auditions up at ACGME places because I think that would increase my chances of matching ACGME. Does anyone have advice on which DO places I could apply that don't require auditions and I'd still have a decent chance with my 551 Level 1? I was also considering rotating at Doctors but if that's pointless with my 551 then I won't waste my time. Any advice is appreciated!

What are the top 2 or 3 DO general surgery programs that would be worth doing the DO match for? Trying to decide whether to audition at DO or ACGME programs this year.

Hi, I matched a few years ago at a program in NY and I just wanted to give my advice on some of the other residencies I did away rotations in.

Vineland Inspira Health
- Pros - its near the east coast, so you can theoretically go to philly or the beach on your days off (you won't have any days off as most residents work 530am to 11pm everyday). Its a nice facility, very clean, very fashionable and up their with newly carpeted floors and generally very clean looking. Bread and butter cases - appys, gb, abscesses, easy ****.

Cons - I scrubbed in with some PGY5 residents while I was there and they lacked skills. Couldn't do a lap hernia repair without the attending guiding them the whole way. Another PGY5 either couldn't do an open appy himself or the attending just didn't want him to do it himself, either way this is bs if a senior resident isn't doing cases by himself thats a huge red flag. The other big con is that they have two hospitals. I've seen this at programs like PCOM and UPMC and its so annoying to have to drive 30 minutes everyday between both hospitals. The other con is that this place is in the middle of nowhere. I wish I knew this before I interviewed. Friggin stupid theres no where to live that puts you close to both hospitals so most residents live in the middle and thats like a 30 min drive every morning at 4am, like who wants to do that?? Also be aware that this place is in the ghetto New Jersey. Theres more Hispanics and Blacks than any other race in the surrounding area. Not that that matters racially but I was repeatedly told not to go this way or that way or i'll get my car jacked and theres just something eerie about a bbd walking around near your car when youre in a white coat. Did not end up ranking the program for these reasons they were a deal breaekr.

UPMC Shenango - Pros - The town is pretty decent. Has a walmart, some good fast food, basically everything you need to live. Cheap housing. It snowed like every single day and was like 10F in the mornings I was there. Free food in the cafeteria made the rotation worth it. Literally pulling 80+ hour weeks but the food made it worth the time. Dunno if that would get me through residency but I can say that they have some good food even if a lot of it is oily and greasy. Surgery wise mostly just general surgery cases, some vascular but very small program if you are into that. They have good education seminars but the residents skip the general one and have their own. Cons - Routinely getting yelled at. PD threw a chair at one of the residents lol. PD was always talking **** about the non-surgical doctors and yelling and cursing out the residents for the smallest things. "O M G **** you you locked the ****en stitch you ****in omg you are a second year and you still do that ****!!!!! WTF WTF WTF" I think I have PTSD about this place. Seriously someone needs anger management classes. I much preferred the other surgeons there but it had a very militaristic power structure going on. The nurses treated me like the bottom of the pole and I routinely got yelled at by this 900 year old granny scrub nurse - the residents somehow put up with that but omg what bs just fire her already. There's plenty of people who would take that job. Oh yeah theres also a really nice coordinator lady with OCPD if I must say. Wouldn't tell me what they were ranking me and kept giving me bs politically correct statements over email. Glad to be out of that mess. But that free food omg it was almost worth it. Residents were all white.. Got told I would be speared and bled out if I messed up something menial by one resident. That's always a great environment for learning I think. Did not rank the program. I need a little more happiness in my life than what they could offer. Malignant program.

Last edited:
Hey everyone - OMS 3 student. I'm just looking to see how competitive I'll be for AOA general surgery programs. I did not take the USMLE. I l cv

601 comlex 1.
3.926 pre-clinical GPA.
Sigma sigma phi.
Clinical skills intern (taught standardized patient to underclassmen).
Academic peer mentor at DO school.
Emergency medicine treasurer.

No research.

OMS 2.5 here. (Taking a year "fellowship" to do research in between 2/3 year.) My research project is ortho related because at the moment that is what I am interested in. For research, do you think I should do a gen surg project as well or would any kind of surgery research work?

For reference: Comlex 661
Top 15% of class

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's now 2 months since ERAS opened. Have all interviews gone out yet? Just wondering if I should start contacting programs I haven't heard from.

Also, I read in this thread that the PCOM interview is just 30 minutes of pimping. Is that still accurate?

It's now 2 months since ERAS opened. Have all interviews gone out yet? Just wondering if I should start contacting programs I haven't heard from.

Also, I read in this thread that the PCOM interview is just 30 minutes of pimping. Is that still accurate?
I only know of sky ridge, pcom, and the program in Fort Worth TX sending out invites so if anyone's had them from others, please do tell!

I interviewed at PCOM and did not get asked a single pimp question.

Is there going to be a GS osteopathic interview invite thread?

Hey guys, very interested in applying to gen surgery was hoping to get some opinion about how competitive I am. I did really well on step one, and average on my comlex. Will DO programs over look my avg. comlex score due to my step 1? I know ill score 550+ on comlex level 2 , just had a really off day. Should I just apply ACGME?

Step 1: 244
Level 1: 528

Hey guys, very interested in applying to gen surgery was hoping to get some opinion about how competitive I am. I did really well on step one, and average on my comlex. Will DO programs over look my avg. comlex score due to my step 1? I know ill score 550+ on comlex level 2 , just had a really off day. Should I just apply ACGME?

Do well on Step 2 and definitely go ACGME. Some of my friends are going through the whole DO vs MD surgery applications now and a lot of the DO GS residency programs that were going through the DO match last year are in the MD match this year. Do auditions are MD places you're interested in, do well and i think you have a good chance at matching :)

So I'm going through the match this year and ERAS won't let you submit USMLE scores to D.O programs that aren't "initial accreditation". The only way for those D.O PDs to see your USMLE score would be for you to provide it to them directly. I've gone on several surgical auditions already and haven't had a single PD ask me for my USMLE scores. It's great that you killed step 1 but sadly it won't mean a whole lot to D.O PDs since they will never see it. I would suggest you apply to ACGME programs, and D.O programs that have gained initial accreditation since you would be able to submit your USMLE score to them. If you have any questions about the ERAS process feel free to PM me.

Does anyone have any information about any schools that will let you do your 3rd year General Surgery Clerkship with them even if you are not a student at their institution?

Any information will be highly appreciated!! Thank you!!

Any updates from my brethren on the AOA GS trail? How are things looking?

I’m a DO doing acgme GS but I think if you apply GS for 2019, you’re probably gonna have to do acgme too. Majority of programs are solely doing NRMP match if they’re accredited. If they’re not accredited by the time your app season rolls around, I probably wouldn’t bother with them.

I’m a DO doing acgme GS but I think if you apply GS for 2019, you’re probably gonna have to do acgme too. Majority of programs are solely doing NRMP match if they’re accredited. If they’re not accredited by the time your app season rolls around, I probably wouldn’t bother with them.

I hear ya, but if accepted to a yet to be initially accredited AOS GS program, isn’t there a ‘grandfather’ clause worked out so one would be shunted to a viable program to complete training?

I hear ya, but if accepted to a yet to be initially accredited AOS GS program, isn’t there a ‘grandfather’ clause worked out so one would be shunted to a viable program to complete training?
Even if there is a ‘grandfather’ clause, you have just completed your training from a Non- Accredited program.
It will drastically reduce your possibilities of finding a decent fellowship and, may be, even a job. Something to think about.

Yes, there is a grandfather clause. You will be a member of FACOS (i.e. certified under the osteopathic boards).
But, as others have mentioned, programs are currently not taking residents this year if they didn't apply or have no intentions of applying ACGME. So, by the time you're turn comes, you really shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Edit: I'm just an OMS-III, so I may be wrong, just fyi

Even if there is a ‘grandfather’ clause, you have just completed your training from a Non- Accredited program.
It will drastically reduce your possibilities of finding a decent fellowship and, may be, even a job. Something to think about.

You have no idea what you're talking about. If you finish at a program that does not attain accreditation you WILL be board certified, albeit under the osteopathic boards. Surgeons have been finding jobs and fellowships since the inception of osteopathic programs so why do you think this would suddenly stop? I get that you are trying o be helpful and it would benefit applicants to graduate from an ACGME program but stop with the misinformation

Reactions: 1 users
You have no idea what you're talking about. If you finish at a program that does not attain accreditation you WILL be board certified, albeit under the osteopathic boards. Surgeons have been finding jobs and fellowships since the inception of osteopathic programs so why do you think this would suddenly stop? I get that you are trying o be helpful and it would benefit applicants to graduate from an ACGME program but stop with the misinformation
From the AOA PDs I’ve spoken with, they say next year (the final year of the AOA match) initially accredited programs will likely participate in both matches for one final round. Have you heard anything like this either way?

Trying to form some sort of strategy in the midst of the incoming bedlam.