Osteopathic General Surgery Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does a thread become 3 yrs old without any useful info:
Lutheran (Brooklyn, NY): Level 1 trauma, so trauma heavy. Fun for med students, but may suck for interns, cause lots of trauma is BS (as is everywhere). Lots of cases for residents. Residents are worked, but happy. Chairman is someone important in laproscopy, so residents get into great min invasive fellowships.

Wyckoff (Brooklyn, NY): Pays residents higher than any prog (i think like 70k intern yr).

Barnabas (Bronx, NY): Level 1 trauma, but due to strong ER prog, traumas are less BS. Plastics fellowship which takes 1/yr inhouse. Good match list.

Flushing Hosp (Flushing, NY): Just opened, so cant comment.

Southhampton (Hamptons, NY): 2 locations. Southhamptons is seasonal since lots of people come to hamptons in summer. Probably offers good work-life balance (compared to other surg residency, not IM)

PCOM: Probably the oldest DO residency. Good fellowship match, almost everyone goes into fellowships. Downside is they have 9+ hospitals they rotate in, and rotations change frequently. So got to be comfortable with lots of different hospitals.

St Joesph (Patterson, NJ): Seemed to have good # of cases. Trauma center.

Henry Ford (MI): Seemed strong, with variety of cases.

UMPC Herizon: small program with a family like feel. Probably cause PD is the son of the older PD. Attendings seemed to be very interested in the well bring of residents.

Everywhere I interviewed had positives and negatives. Interviewing day perceptions can be very skewed, since everyone is trying to put forward their best. When interviewing at any program look for:

(1) Case load and variety of surgery and at what pgy yr is a resident capable of doing a specific surg with the attending watching
(2) Resident happiness, attending interest.
(3) Dont pay too much attention to the location of hosp. ex: Barnabas is in Bronx, NY. But most residents live in nice neighborhood and drive in. Southhamptons is in one of the richest neighborhood in the nation (millionaires mostly), but most residents cant afford to live there. So they also commute.

Unlike MD match, in DO match, programs are allowed to tell you how they will rank you. According to the DO rules, both sides are expected to be honest in their verbal communications. In my interviews, post interview almost everyone told me how they would rank me (honestly too, not all "we will rank you highly"). People also told me approx what position I will be ranked.

:cool:

Thank you so much for all this info! For someone who wants to make it back to the east coast it is great to hear this. One question.... my school says our Gen Surg rotation must be 4 weeks, but we can do a 2 week plastics. If I wanna see as many programs as I can on the east coast... do you think I should do a 2 week at Barnabus in plastics? or Do the full 4 weeks there in gen surg? In other words: do you think I will get enough face time with the gen surg group there if I sign up for plastics?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for all this info! For someone who wants to make it back to the east coast it is great to hear this. One question.... my school says our Gen Surg rotation must be 4 weeks, but we can do a 2 week plastics. If I wanna see as many programs as I can on the east coast... do you think I should do a 2 week at Barnabus in plastics? or Do the full 4 weeks there in gen surg? In other words: do you think I will get enough face time with the gen surg group there if I sign up for plastics?

I don't know if its a NY thing, but in most hospitals here, surg sub specialties are kind of their own "mini dept" with minimal contact with gen surg dept. Maybe you'll see them in M&M and bump into them into the hallways, but rounds, meetings, and other interactions btw mini-depts are minimal. Barnabas is the same.

Anyone have specific information on the midwestern U gen surg program just outside of chicago in olympia fields??? I looked at AOA opportunities and the st. james hosp website has little to no information that residents even exist at that hospital. Setting up fourth year sub-Is and would like to have an idea if it's worth rotating there???

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have specific information on the midwestern U gen surg program just outside of chicago in olympia fields??? I looked at AOA opportunities and the st. james hosp website has little to no information that residents even exist at that hospital. Setting up fourth year sub-Is and would like to have an idea if it's worth rotating there???

I recommend it as someone who rotated there as a sub-i. Very good, tight-knit program.

I recommend it as someone who rotated there as a sub-i. Very good, tight-knit program.

Do non-CCOM students have a valid shot there? The last few match lists from CCOM had 2-3 students going there per year and I've heard from a few people that most of their 15 total residents went to CCOM. Along those lines, with the exception of PCOM, do any of the programs heavily favor taking students from their home institution (of course there is an advantage, but it seems like PCOM take 4 of 5 from there home school).

Anyone have any info on Pinnacle in Harrisburg, PA or Memorial Hospital in York, PA?

Anyone have any info on Pinnacle in Harrisburg, PA or Memorial Hospital in York, PA?

Heard from some ppl that rotated at Pinnacle that it was top notch and most of the docs were pretty cool there. It seems pretty well known that their ortho is #1 (or up there) so I think a lot of ppl seem to think their GS is pretty good as well (though as I'm sure you've found out, its almost impossible to decipher which DO programs are really the "best").

Don't really know anything about York.

Anyone hear anything about the new program in NJ that just opened up?

As someone who also just matched I will try and add/reenforce some info to what Oxer45 already has provided. This is all from what I can remember about different places that I rotated and interviewed at, as well as what I heard from some of the other applicants. I can't say I hated any of the programs I rotated/interviewed at, but each program has their own positives and negatives that each applicant has to way.

Doctors Hospital- Is a solid program with high case volume. Residents actually spend most of their time (>2/3) at Grant Medical Center in downtown Columbus which is a large level one Trauma Center. They also do several out rotations at Ohio State (Transplant, HPB, Surg Onc) and at Columbus Children's, which are all in Columbus so there is not to much traveling involved. They have fellowships in SICU and Vascular but are clsing their Plastics Program. Residents didn't seem to have any difficulty getting into the fellowships that they desire. Boards + rotation very important for matching.

PCOM- Also a very well established program with high case volume and good fellowship match. This program does involve a lot of traveling and includes several places which are not in Philadelphia (housing provided). Residents are very demanding of each other (especially during academics) which can be a little intense, but they apparently have very good Absite scores, so I guess it works. They take mostly PCOM students, but ususally take a least a couple of people from other schools if they rotated there and did well. They have fellowships in Plastics and Vascular.

St. Joseph's (Patterson, NJ)- This is a newer program, but is at a very large hospital and is becoming a very solid place to be. They just built a brand new Critical care facility which includes brand new SICU, MICU, Trauma bays, ER and ORs. They had a high case volume and are a level 2 Trauma Center. Had several very good Peds Surgeons as well. Just changed PD. Boards + rotation important for matching.

Geisinger-Wyoming Valley (Wilkes Barre, PA)- This hospital had the best case variety of any place I was at, but had more of an average case volume. They are a level 2 Trauma Center, and have a lot of specialty cases in house that a lot of other AOA have to do out rotations to gain experience in. PD is very pro-Resident and a very good guy. Several months have to be spent at the main Geisinger (HPB transplant, SICU/Trauma). Wilkes Barre is a decent place to live and is not a tiny town, but it isn't huge either, so if your a city person or single it may not be the greatest social environment possible (not that you have much time anyway). Geisinger also just bought a hospital in Scranton, so Residents may rotate there as well.

UPMC Horizon (Farrel, PA)- Smaller program that covers 2 small hospitals in western PA. Residents were all very friendly and had a decent case volume. When you are on call you are actually on call at both hospitals. Town is nice with good/cheap housing options, nice parks and a few decent restaurants, but if your single this could be a tougher place to live if you are looking to meet people.

Plaza Medical Center (Fort Worth, TX)- Smaller program with good case volume. Residents were friendly. They spend have to go to Houston some during 3rd and 4th year for rotations at MD Anderson (surg onc), UT-Houston-Herman Memorial (Trauma) and Texas Children's (peds). Transplant is done across the street at Baylor All Saints and SICU is down the street at JPS. Decent fellowship match.

Good Samaritan (Corvalis, OR)- Newer program at a smaller hospital but with good case volume and is a level 2 Trauma center. Lots of vascular and they keep all of their Pancreas cases in house. Residents and Attendings were very friendly. Corvalis is a small town, but OSU is there so the social environment is good for a town of that size. Area is very pretty with lots of outdoor activities, although it does rain a lot. They do several out rotations at OHSU in Trauma/ SICU and something else (I can't remember what).

McLaren-Macomb (Mount Clemens, MI)- Established program with very high case volume. Residents heavily worked but skilled. Lots of Vascular exposure with in house fellowship. Is a level 2 Trauma center although Trauma was rather weak in quality of exposure. Residents also rotate at Sinai Grace for SICU and do several rotations at University of Michigan. Academics were okay. Residents were able to get decent fellowships (mostly in SICU).

Lutheran (Brooklyn, NY)- Strong program with high case volume. Residents also heavily worked. Is a Level 1 Trauma center with an in house SICU and MIS fellowship. MIS PD is apparently very well know. Most/all of the rotations are in house. Attendings go to morning report and pimp residents on their decision making in front of everyone, which makes for a good learning experience. Hospital is not in the nicest area, but most residents live in good neighborhoods which are not to far away.

UMDNJ- (Stratford, NJ) Good program with high case volume. They have to travel to several different places from month to month, but they are all relatively close to each other and don't involve staying in another apartment. Residents were friendly and the area seemed like a nice place to live. Is close to Philadelphia (you could live Downtown), so there is a lot to do in the area. Decent fellowship matches in various fields.

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)- Well established program at decent size hospital with lower case volume than other places I interviewed at. Level 1 trauma center with good amount of penetrating trauma. Plastics and SICU fellowships in house. Laparoscopic exposure was self reported to be weaker, but PD is working on correcting this with several out rotations. Hospital is in rougher neighborhood, so most people live elsewhere and take the subway or drive in from nicer areas. Residents also have to do a lot of extra floor work which is fairly typical of some NYC hospitals (drawing blood, transporting patients, etc). Many residents do fellowships in either Plastics or SICU/Trauma.

- I also met many applicants who really liked these programs and gave me a some info on them:

Botsford- Level 2 Trauma Center, good case volume. Rotation is everything.

Genesys- Huge case volume with very skilled residents. Academics weaker.

DMU- Good case volume and variety. Leve 2 Trauma Center. Good Fellowship match.

Mercy St. Vincent- Level 1 Trauma Center, good Case volume.

That is about all I can remember for now. Remember that rotations at AOA programs are key, as many programs do not interview applicants who do not rotate there. Boards are very important at many programs, but I know people who scored <500 that matched at good places, so just because you didn't score well doesn't mean you can't match. If you did score lower though you do need to be careful of where you rotate at, because some programs will let you rotate there, but will not consider you for interview unless you scored well on boards. Several Programs will take non rotators as I met people who had matched at Lutheran and Geisinger- Wyoming Valley whom did not rotate there, but they are in the minority. I would say close to 90% of people match at a place they rotated at. I hope this post helps people who want more info on AOA programs and good luck to everyone applying next year. Expect it to be competitive (it was this year) so be ready to work your @$$ off, but also be sure to also be a team player, as nothing can eliminate you from consideration faster than being hard to work with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Dude RM38 thanks a bunch. Was hoping for something like this!

Mercy St. Vincent- Level 2 Trauma Center, good Case volume.

As a graduating resident from this program have to correct you here. Level 1 trauma center with 2500+ admits, Pediatric Trauma endorsement, Burn Center, good volume. Excellent attendings for the most part. Program Director who is paid to be a program director. PD and asst PD getting into robotics. 3/4 of graduating chiefs (have only graduated 2 classes) go to trauma/Crit care.
If you have a special interest in something PD has no problem sending you out for electives your fourth year. Heavy Vasc second and fourth years. Area around main hospital sucks, but the burbs are great. Mandatory to rotate here if you want a reasonable chance of matching. I really feel prepared to do pretty much anything.
Oh one more thing you are expected to publish while you are here. But there is excellent research support with statistician and research coordinator and help with manuscript writing. So if you hate research and hate trauma, this is not the place for you.

Sorry for messing up the Trauma level. I didn't rotate or interview there, but I met several people who did and they had said they really liked the program.

So I'm arriving to the game late as I am just finishing 3rd year and have decided to apply GS. My Comlex 1 was right around the mean. Have no GS LORs yet but should be able to get one surgery letter by application time. The only place I was able to set up an away was Des Moines late in the season (which would be my first choice).

So realistically do I have a shot? Is Des Moines even possible with my step 1 being avg? Would a stellar audition give me a true shot? And what does it really mean to "rock" an sub-I? Any advice would be appreciated?

No one can tell you weather you match or not. With only one rotation it will be tough though as some PD's may doubt your commitment to GS in the long term. If you were active in calling programs I would think that you would be able to get at least 1 additional rotation somewhere. Also try scheduling sub-specialty rotations at places as you could at least get some exposure to some of the residents and attendings involved in the program. The one person that I know who matched in Des Moines had solid scores, but I don't know what is a typical score for the program. "Rocking" a sub-I consists of work ethic, knowledge, personality and skill set. Of these 4 I would say knowledge (know your anatomy cold) is most important, closely followed by a tie between personality and work ethic. Skill set can be taught during residency, but you should be able to do basic suturing and tying skills at the least. Expect attendings/residents to pimp you fairly heavily and will expect more out of you late in the season than if you had been there in July. Ultimately if you really want to be a surgeon you need to stop questioning your ability to match and just go for it. If you don't get many interviews you can do a TRI at a program with a surgery residency and try and do as many surgery months as you can. If a 2nd year spot opens up you may be able to move into that position because some places will grant credit for a TRI if you have enough surgery months (usually at least 4). Also some programs will keep one or more of their TRI's on as a PGY1 surgery resident if they do well or find them a spot elsewhere. Of course you could also do an allopathic surgical prelim and then reapply as well. Good luck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for all the info. how do you decide which programs to rotate at? comlex scores? location?

thanks

Anyone here who are rotating or have rotated here in general surgery? I have a full rotation scheduled and would like to know anything that may be helpful and not give me a huge surprise. I am a OM4 and have done two other surgery rotations and want one more to help me make an informed decision on residency.
My school is in the southeast. My state of residence is Tennessee.

Thanks in advance!!!:)

To answer the last few questions
1) Mercy Suburban- I don't know anything about the place other than it is a small program outside philly.
2) St. Vincent- has a good reputation and if you look above at the comments from docgeorge who just graduated from there it should give you a little more info. I would PM him if you have more questions.
3) I chose where to rotate based on several different things, one of the main things being how easy it was to travel between all of the different places as it can be difficult to pack up all your stuff and drive really far (>5 hrs) everytime you have to go to another rotation. I had pretty good boards so I wasn't as worried about those, but if you are average you may want to avoid some programs because boards are a major factor at some places (see above post). Location is also a big deal for a lot of people especially if you are engaged/married and may or may not have kids. Moving your SO across the nation might be difficult and you need to make sure they would be willing to move to that area before deciding spending a month there. There would be nothing worse than moving and having it destroy your family life in a matter of a couple of months to a year. Of course moving far away may be unavoidable, but having family/people you know close to you can make a big difference especially if you have kids. I work a lot harder with more pressure on me than I ever did as a student, so having extra support around if you need it could be huge in your overall happiness. Some people also want to be in a big city, some don't. Ultimately you have to weigh the different factors for your situation make the choice of where you think you could be happy and see how your rotations go.

anyone have any information on the largo program? i never see it mentioned anywhere on these threads.

anyone have any information on the largo program? i never see it mentioned anywhere on these threads.

small program...5 residents total....they are not taking applications from MS4's this year..only from PGY1s since they are trying to fill a PGY 2 position. You will not get a spot unless you rotate there and get to know the program director...they do not hold formal interviews, the interview is basically anytime you sit down with the program director during your month rotation.

You work out of 2 main hospitals, largo med and morton plant.. each of which are around 400 beds. You do go to 2 other smaller hospitals in the Clearwater area if you are working with a certain surgical group for the month, as well as an outpatient surgical center. They also have their trauma out in vegas which you do during your 4th year. Two of the main surgeons you work with do bariatrics, but the residents do not have access to go to the hospital where all of the bariatric cases take place--I know they were trying to change this when I was there but I do not know if anything ever changed.

Not to big on academics. Just recently started having protected time during one afternoon a week b/c apparently there were problems with residents doing well on their absite. From what I gather from talking to senior residents, the only difficulty with case exposure is when it comes to head/neck and peds. After rotating at a few other programs the past few months, I think the biggest thing that was different about this program was the academics. During my two months on surgery at largo, we never once had morning report or any sort of lecture. The only time we sat in the lecture hall was during an occasional tumor board.

Residents are all very nice and get along pretty well. Hospital is about 1.5 miles from the beach. Lots of restaurants and golf courses. Good nightlife in St petersburg and Tampa which are each around 30 min away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
UMDNJ is an excellent program and a lot less traveling compared to PCOM

I second that, UMDNJ is a good program. I interviewed there. Didnt really want to be there geographically though.

PCOM covers around 12hospitals a year, so you are traveling every month. Unless this has changed recently. Its an issue because it takes time to get comfortable with attendings and learn the palce and then, bam, you move on.
They do have a plastics fellowship and they rotate through deborah, which has vascular and thoracic fellowships, osteo.

St. Barnabas in the bronx is lacking volume from what i heard but is heavy on truama and they have a plastics fellowship there.

Lutheran is a strong program, good case volume and variety. However, they have a busy trauma service, and you stay at the home base nearly the whole time. Its way too much trauma for my taste but if thats what you want then great.
They also have a MIS and CC fellowships, although MIS may not be open to do's.

Flushing is a strong program, Good didactics, nice mix of outrotations.

Wyckoff is very busy, inner city. Used to have a plastics/hand fellowship too. Strong didactics, alot of cases, but service is too busy. you will be overworked.

St. Josephs in paterson is a nice program. they have trauma there and peds surgery there.

Now that audition rotations are pretty much over, does anyone else have any info or experiences to share about thier 4th year rotations at different progrmas? Also I saw they added some new programs onto oppotunities.osteopathic.org. Does ayone know about places like Pittsfield, MA or Mesa, AZ?

But more importantly I'd love to hear more about the programs in the northeast!

Cheers

Now that audition rotations are pretty much over, does anyone else have any info or experiences to share about thier 4th year rotations at different progrmas? Also I saw they added some new programs onto oppotunities.osteopathic.org. Does ayone know about places like Pittsfield, MA or Mesa, AZ?

But more importantly I'd love to hear more about the programs in the northeast!

Cheers

I think many 4th years may be hesitant to post anything until after match day in February for fear of any sort of repercussion.

I think many 4th years may be hesitant to post anything until after match day in February for fear of any sort of repercussion.

Yep, will update sometime b/w rank submission and match day.

In the meantime, I would recommend trying to secure auditions at:
*Mercy- Des Moines
*Botsford
*Mclaren Macomb (Mt Clemens)
*Doctors Hospital (Columbus)
*Genesys (the audition is...unique but it's the only way to get an interview)
*St Vincent Mercy (Toledo)
*Grandview (Dayton)
**Not as familiar with the east coast..PCOM is strong but you have to be ok with traveling..I've heard Geisinger is strong.
**This is not exhaustive, but covers most of the desirable Midwest programs.

Other things to keep in mind:
-Most places will only interview you if you rotate. The exception at some is if you kill your boards (650 or 700+). The NY programs and east coast in general also interview pretty generously though.
-Don't schedule an audition at a place that is #'s heavy if you are teetering around 500 or below on your boards. People do get burned and end up wasting a month without receiving an interview. There are exceptions...but you also have to be realistic about rank lists down the line as well. PM me for more details on this.

How does a thread become 3 yrs old without any useful info

Still my favorite quote of this thread. I know how hard it can be to find information on programs before audition season so I will try and provide you with my perceptions of a few Osteopathic General Surgery programs.

**The programs listed below are places that I feel are of good quality, are worth visiting and will provide the necessary education for an aspiring surgeon. The same cannot be said for all programs. If a program is not mentioned here, I either know very little about them or am declining to comment because what I have to say would not be positive. All to say, this list is a guide, but is in no way exhaustive!**

Doctors Hospital - Columbus, OH
A small hospital located on the West side of Columbus, this program in my opinion represents the highest quality among Osteopathic Surgery programs. Large case volumes, rotations at quality institutions in the largest city in OH, and a supportive teaching environment all contribute to its appeal.
Curriculum: Very rigorous, very organized, and the residents hold each other to a high standard at teaching conferences and text reviews. They move through Sabiston a chapter at a time and hammer home every detail. Their in-service scores (highest in the country despite what other programs might tell you) show it. Regular M&M and inter-disciplinary conferences.
Affiliated Teaching Hospitals: This aspect, in my opinion, sets Doctors apart. They do trauma, SICU, general and vascular surgery rotations at Grant Medical Center. This is the busiest level 1 trauma center in the state and hosts residents from Ohio State and Riverside Methodist as well. Colon/Rectal, Transplant and general surgery rotations are also done at Ohio State University. Peds surgery is done at Nationwide Children's...enough said.
Applicant's note: If you have high board scores, they will give you lots of love. If not..you have an uphill battle ahead of you.

PCOM - Philadelphia, PA
Located in Philadelphia...well, part of the time: this program sticks to the "consortium model" of resident education. Translation - you will be in a new hospital every month, some of them quite far away, with new residents and new attendings that you may or may not have worked with before. Having mentioned this, I must say that I was blown away by the residents here. They are all very sharp, motivated to learn, committed to the program and seemed like a good group of people. The program director, Dr. Sesso is a really great guy and is completely devoted to keeping this program great. If you can handle moving around, this program is definitely worth a look. Great fellowship matches.
Curriculum: Like Doctors, they have a very organized and comprehensive curriculum. Residents hold each other accountable for the material and they have a very strong showing in the in-service exam every year.
Affiliated Teaching Hospitals Well...listing all 10+ here might be a little expansive, but they also have some amazing affiliations. They send residents to Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York, Cooper Hospital in Camden NJ (level 1 trauma), and Reading Medical Center - a busy trauma center in PA that provides a great learning opportunity.
Applicant's note: Like the above, if you have high board scores, they will give you lots of love. An audition here can help you, and they have more spots than most programs which helps. They are trying to diversify from the PCOM student applicant pool.

Mercy Medical Center - Des Moines, IA
Located in Des Moines, a bustling metropolis in the heart of Iowa...well maybe not a metropolis..more like a big town in a state that boasts 99% of its land mass being covered in corn. All joking aside, it is a nice place to live, especially if you have a family coming with you. This program is the oldest Osteopathic General Surgery program in the country! They have at their disposal an 800 bed hospital, level 2 trauma center (for all intents and purposes it is a level 1..they fly traumas in from 100+ miles away for lack of a closer center! They need a 24hr neurosurg coverage and more research to be dubbed a "level 1"). Anyway, the neat thing about this program is that you have a lot of cases going on, lots of variety, ENT surgeons, Plastic surgeons, vascular, trauma..and it's all at your disposal because they only have a small ACGME FM program to compete with in-house..and they sure aren't in the operating room! Very good track record for fellowship matches.
Curriculum: Good curriculum, very regular teaching conferences, and a good ABSITE review. Attendings are actively involved in these conferences which is nice to see. Room for improvement in this area, but it's head over heels better than the majority of DO programs out there. They are also actively involved with teaching didactics labs at Des Moines University, which is a big draw for some people.
Affiliated Teaching Hospitals: None. They do allow some wiggle room to do a month or two at an outside institution as a sort of "audition" in your 4th/5th year, but otherwise everyone is in house.
Applicant's note: Audition not required, but highly encouraged. The PD here does not really like the concept, but at the same time understands the game that everyone has to play. If given the chance I would recommend a rotation here!

Genesys Regional Medical Center - Grand Blanc, MI
This program brings a very different feel to the table than the previous 3 programs. Their focus is training very technically skilled surgeons that can out operate most everyone coming straight out of residency...and frow what I observed of their chief residents they are without a doubt meeting that goal. I watched their chiefs perform colon resections, thyroidectomies, and nissens at the beginning of the year..and they were really good! A really rambunctious group of residents that are really good at what they do, and seemed to get along really well. Their call room is great - lots of couches, big TV, a big shark head coming from the wall, talks of a stripper pole being installed at some point down the line (I'm prettysure they were joking..), you get the idea. They work hard but love what they do.
Curriculum: Not much to mention here..weekly meetings of topic presentations and subjects that the residents are supposed to read. Some are very diligent but it would be easy to slack off if one weren't self motivated.
Affiliated Teaching Hospitals Limited. They are in-house for most of the 5 years. This is fine for the most part because they have very busy services and get great case volume, but the there is no dedicated surgical ICU, they are limited on trauma exposure, and there are few sub-specialty services in-house that provide resident rotations.
Applicant's note: This program is fantastic if you want to be a community based general surgeon. If you can tough out living in Grand Blanc for 5 years you will be really good at what you do. You absolutely must rotate here to be considered for an interview..and they are one of a few programs that now has a minimum board score to even do an audition here..not sure what it is, probably low 500's. Even having rotated here, there were a lot of people turned down for interviews who spent a month on the service. They churn auditioning students out like cattle, often there will be 8-9 students on at a time. They will give you love if you have high board scores, but this is not a necessity.

Botsford Hospital - Farmington Hills, MI
I do not have a lot of information about this program. I didn't rotate here so I was not considered for an interview. From what I am told they are very big on their curriculum, value hard work and dedication, and provide an excellent surgical education for those are willing to work for it. They are very proud of their program and from what I can tell it is very strong and certainly has a reputation in the Osteopathic community. A big draw to this program is their in-house vascular and plastics programs, which give heavy favor to their own applicants.

Arrowhead Regional Medial Center - Colton, CA
This is a busy county hospital that actually covers the largest county (land mass wise) in the entire United States. They get a good deal of trauma coming in from out in the boonies as well as some penetrating stuff, and the patient population ensures that you will see a lot of very sick people. The residents work hard, doing a lot of work that goes along with being at a county hospital but they seem to enjoy the learning experience. It is "parallel" to an ACGME program at the same hospital and they rotate together while at ARMC. I put "parallel" in quotations because it was a bit strange when you stack the programs against one another. The DO program does rotations at Loma Linda (Peds and maybe something else) and Kaiser Fontana (more elective type stuff and a few sub-specialties if I remember correctly), albeit only a few months at these places. The ACGME program spends a LOT more time at Loma Linda for some very cool sub-specialty months, and some other larger hospitals in the LA area. At first look it seems like a 'dual program', but they are in fact separate programs at the same hospital with different PD's that happen to do a lot of rotations together at their home base. There were ACGME residents at our pre-interview dinner and they were all really down to earth and get along with the DO residents just fine, so that did not seem to be an issue in the least. The DO program only takes 1 a year while the MD program takes 3 or 4....I don't completely understand the reason for this. All of this political type stuff aside, it seemed like a great place to train and all of the residents were very happy with the fact that they matched there. Definitely felt that it was a strong program that gives residents lots and lots of practical experience.

Mercy St. Vincent - Toledo, OH
This program also heavily favors the audition. I can tell you, however, that they interview applicants with board scores in the 95+ percentile who have not rotated with them. They are a level 1 trauma center, and from what I have been told have an excellent program. They are somewhat mysterious, difficult to contact and off the radar for non-rotators but if you get the chance to audition here I would say take it. Toledo is not the friendliest place to live...but how many other DO programs are in desireable locations?

Grandview - Dayton, OH
Smaller program, but I have on good authority that they provide a great education. They have a structured curriculum, do away rotations at some of the same places as Doctors Hospital (including Grant Medical Center in Columbus), and have recruited a very sharp group of residents. Worth checking out to see if it is a good fit! Will only consider auditioners -- even if you slayed your boards!!

McLaren Macomb - Clinton Township, MI
This program is a strong, clinically focused program. Very busy surgery service, and residents work extremely hard. The atmosphere among residents is supportive and auditioning students are treated well but expected to work. One of the stronger programs in Michigan without a doubt. Will only consider auditioners -- even if you slayed your boards!!

That's all I've got for now. Like I said, either I don't know much beyone rumors about other programs, or don't have anything nice to say so I will stop here and wish you luck out there on auditions!!

Dissected

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Figured I'd post now that match lists are submitted and cause I loved this thread when I was looking to set up auditions. Here are the programs I rotated or interviewed at. Take any pros/cons with a grain of salt as these were my opinions and you may place emphasis on other factors than me when evaluating a program. Sorry for any poor spelling as I typed this fast.

Southampton Hospital/PBMC- Southampton NY
This is a small program that rotates through two hospitals (Peconic bay medical center and Southampton hospital), each of which is between 150-200 beds. They are another new program, however they only have pgy1-2's. These hospitals previously had not had residents before so attending's were very hesitant to let the residents do many of the procedures. The program director is very friendly and you can tell he is looking to make this program better. There is not a large case volume, with no more than 10-12pts per hospital on the census at a given time (then again I saw the program during the winter months when that region is not very busy). No real trauma cases, and the program is still trying to set up out rotations so the residents can get their numbers. Curriculum is not very organized, with education being held only 1 morning a week for 2 hrs, along with the occasional lecture by an attending. Cost of living in Southampton and surrounding area is very expensive.

Genesys Regional Medical Center- Grand Blanc MI
As mentioned above, this program puts out very technically skilled surgeons. Attendings typically allow the residents to do a majority of the operating, oftentimes not scrubbing in unless needed. While it is only 10min away from flint, Grand Blanc is literally a very rural locations, so it was very weird to see such a new/large hospital in this location. They have a very large as well as diverse case volume, and residents are typically operating daily. Residents expect a lot out of each other which can be seen daily at the 6am morning report. They have weekly topic presentations and case reports. Good sim lab. Will only interview if you rotate there, but even then it is not guaranteed.

Palisades Medical Center- North Bergen, NJ
Smaller hospital located directly across the river from NYC (literally the best view of any of the hospitals I've been at!!). Large case volumes/diversity of cases between all of the hospitals they rotate at (Palisades, Englewood Medical Center, Hackensack Medical Center and Meadowlands Medical Center). Although this is a new program it has the feeling that it has been around for years since they have pgy 1-4's with a total of 16 residents currently. Dr Miglietta the PD is awesome and was the first DO to do a trauma fellowship at Shock Trauma in Baltimore, he also worked on faculty at Columbia (just google him). Residents have a very large role in operating and in pt management. Oftentimes (aside from large cases like ex-laps, lap sigmoids, etc&#8230;) it is the senior resident teaching the junior resident while the attending only scrubs if needed. They are affiliated with Hackensack medical center which is a level 2 trauma center. All specialties are covered at the 4 hospitals you rotate at. You will rotate with residents from SUNY downstate at certain hospitals, however everyone seems to get along. Time is set aside weekly for education which consists of M&M, tumor board and board review. Because it is near NYC, there is a very diverse patient population&#8212;while that is in someways good because of the awesome pathology, it also sucks as around half of your patients speak either Spanish or Korean. Residents did complain about the high cost of living vs their relatively low salary.

South Jersey Hospital- Vineland NJ
Newer program with limited number of residents. New hospital with a good case volume. Residents seemed to get along very well with attendings, however were limited in what they were allowed to do in the operating room. Education is not as emphasized as other programs I visited. They have many of their services in house. When I visited they still had not set up places for out rotations in order for the residents to get all of their numbers. Residents were very friendly and seemed to get along with each other. Was told not to live in the area surrounding the hospital, so most residents had 15-20 min commute to the hospital daily.

Botsford Hospital- Farmington Hills, MI
One word- INTENSE. Of all the programs I was at I have never seen attendings demand so much out of their residents. The program director and other surgeons will allow the residents to do a majority of the operation however they expect perfection, if you do something wrong expect to get an earful. For a smaller hospital they have a very good case volume. You are assigned to 1 of 3 general surgery services or a specialty service. They have in house plastic surgery fellows so you will get a lot of exposure to plastics pts. Very structured curriculum with weekly case presentations and board review&#8212;journal club monthly. They give you a few months during fourth year to do electives and they also send you to Vegas to do trauma (however last I heard, they may be doing their trauma at Shock Trauma Baltimore in the future). You need to rotate here to be considered for an interview and even then it is not guaranteed.

Arnot Ogden Hospital- Elmira NY
New program that will have their residents rotate through 2 150ish bed hospitals. They are starting their program from scratch, so currently there are no senior residents. The program director is very enthusiastic and seems to be very well known in the Cardiothoracic scene. For such a rural area they do get a good variety of cases and the census of pts that most of the attendings had was decently sized. You will be doing some work at outpatient surgery centers. They haven't set in stone some of their out rotations, however you will rotate through Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre PA which has its own residents. They are additionally trying to get a rotation site a Strong Memorial up in Rochester. Curriculum hasn't been set up yet and program director was unsure of how weekly education would work.

Plaza Medical Center- Fort Worth TX
At first I was told not to visit this program as it was very malignant, however things have certainly changed within the past two years. They recently got a new program director whom the residents have said have changed the programs style drastically&#8212;most of which for the better. The residents demand a lot out of each other, and the seniors are very good at teaching and helping the junior residents. Very large case volume, especially at some of the other hospitals that they rotate at. They go to Memorial Hermann for trauma which is a level 1 trauma center and they additionally do some rotations at Baylor. Good curriculum with weekly lectures and board review. If your trying to get a rotation here you literally have to keep nagging them. The office of medical education is not very good and the residents have no problem admitting this.

PCOM- Philiadelphia PA
The largest of all of the osteopathic general surgery programs. You will literally rotate at a different hospital every month, with all of the hospitals being a good distance from each other. No housing is provided at any of these hospitals so you need to find a place to live that is centrally located. Residents say that it isn't a problem that you rotate with a new attending each month because the attendings will let you operate and have a large roll in pt management since they are used to having residents. Very good curriculum which can be seen by the scores on their in service exam. Program comes off as liking research, as I was told they require a poster or research project yearly. Residents are not given time to have electives, however I was assured that you would have no problem getting the fellowship of your choice if you wanted it due to their connections. Dr Sesso expects a lot out of his residents and really seems like he would do anything for this program. They are very big on board scores.

Wykoff Heights Medical Center- Brooklyn
I'm pretty sure this program interviews everyone that applies. Recently got a new PD, however in the past few weeks I heard that they are getting another new one. Not sure if related to the hospitals recent financial troubles. Surgery service seems to be very busy, with attendings allowing the residents to do a lot. Good didactics and lectures. Residents seem to get along well. It was weird walking into this hospital because it is literally flooded with foreign medical students. They had about 25 Caribbean students just on the surgery service alone, most of which would sit in these small rooms and use the computer/study all day. Not sure how students who were auditioning were treated. Residents have to do their own blood draws and transportation of patients. Hospital does not give scrubs out( thought this was really strange). While housing is expensive surrounding the hospital, a lot of the residents would take the subway in from other locations as there is a subway stop a block away. Good reimbursement.

UPMC Horizon- Farrel PA
Smaller community program that will cover 2 hospitals which are each pretty small. Case volume didn't seem to be that large general surgery wise, however they did seem to cover a lot of vascular cases. They take 2 residents per year and everyone in the program seems to be very close. The residents take overnight call covering both hospitals so it can get pretty annoying if you keep getting calls from each place as you may have to do a lot of driving (gas is reimbursed). The towns are small and apparently you need to live within 20 min of the hospitals. Cost of living is low. They do out rotations in Pittsburgh, akron OH, Erie PA so the residents are provided housing during these months. Props on the post interview steakhouse dinner.

Flushing Hospital- Flushing NY
New program, however all of the residents came over from peninsula hospital once peninsula closed, so they retained all of the programs senior and junior residents. The hospital used to have a general surgery program years ago, however it was closed down---now that they had a second chance at having a program, the faculty seem very excited/eager to teach. The hospital relatively old and the OR's and medical floors have probably not been remodeled since the early 90's. Residents have to do their own blood draws if they need stat labs. I was told by a senior resident that you will not see the inside of an operating room until your second year, and even then you don't really begin to operate until year 3. Good census of patients. Pt base if very diverse and you will have a lot of Spanish, Korean and Hebrew speaking patients. Large amount of foreign medical students rotate here. Good reimbursement.

I posted a few posts back on this thread about the Largo General Surgery program in Largo/Clearwater FL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For Clouds22 to post #26:

I am currently in my last year of an AOA general surgery program in Michigan. One of our graduates went to Parkland in TX for a CTS fellowship and is actually preparing to do a super-fellowship in adult congenital heart surgery so in short, it is doable for sure if you set your mind to it.

Last edited:
Hey guys I have qestion, currently I am third year setting up up rotations for general surgery auditions and I have less than a 500 on comlex. I was wondering if there are any places that are hardcore score heavy in terms of osteo gen surg programs, programs i should stay away from. I have decent grades and am hoping to crush step2 so i'm keeping hope alive. With this in mind are there programs that are not as score heavy (such as NY possibly?) I just want to maximize my audition time at places that wont waste it.. any input would help thanks!!

Hey guys I have qestion, currently I am third year setting up up rotations for general surgery auditions and I have less than a 500 on comlex. I was wondering if there are any places that are hardcore score heavy in terms of osteo gen surg programs, programs i should stay away from. I have decent grades and am hoping to crush step2 so i'm keeping hope alive. With this in mind are there programs that are not as score heavy (such as NY possibly?) I just want to maximize my audition time at places that wont waste it.. any input would help thanks!!

Genesys has an audition cutoff and is generally score heavy when it comes to the final rank list. Doctors is very score heavy. PCOM likes high scores but they are not necessary since they usually have movement on their final list and have more spots than the other programs. Most programs will give you a fair shake if you audition well, but the programs above might be tough to convince with a <500 comlex.

Good luck!

How does a 550+ comlex score leave you sitting at Osteopathic GS residencies? Is it safe to apply/rotate everywhere?

You will be very competitive with >550 provided that you do well on your audition rotation.

I second that, UMDNJ is a good program. I interviewed there. Didnt really want to be there geographically though.

PCOM covers around 12hospitals a year, so you are traveling every month. Unless this has changed recently. Its an issue because it takes time to get comfortable with attendings and learn the palce and then, bam, you move on.
They do have a plastics fellowship and they rotate through deborah, which has vascular and thoracic fellowships, osteo.

St. Barnabas in the bronx is lacking volume from what i heard but is heavy on truama and they have a plastics fellowship there.

Lutheran is a strong program, good case volume and variety. However, they have a busy trauma service, and you stay at the home base nearly the whole time. Its way too much trauma for my taste but if thats what you want then great.
They also have a MIS and CC fellowships, although MIS may not be open to do's.

Flushing is a strong program, Good didactics, nice mix of outrotations.

Wyckoff is very busy, inner city. Used to have a plastics/hand fellowship too. Strong didactics, alot of cases, but service is too busy. you will be overworked.

St. Josephs in paterson is a nice program. they have trauma there and peds surgery there.

is this mainly due to the whole AOA trainees not being able to do ACGME fellowships?

Anybody have experience rotating at some of the newer programs in the NYNJ area? Not much info out there since they are fairly new programs. Riverhead, Flushing, Elmira, Palisades, etc? Pros and cons from your experience? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if OSUMC in Tulsa has sent out interview invitations as of yet?

So what is considered a high enough board score for Doctor's hospital?

Talking to some attending in my area that attend the surgical conferences, I have been told that due to the epic failure that the merger was, many of the AOA programs are attempting to get dual accreditation in the coming years. Can any of the residents/attending here comment on this matter?

Talking to some attending in my area that attend the surgical conferences, I have been told that due to the epic failure that the merger was, many of the AOA programs are attempting to get dual accreditation in the coming years. Can any of the residents/attending here comment on this matter?

Yes. A prime example is Mercy in Des Moines...however after becoming dual accredited they decided to drop the DO match all together. This effectively ended the oldest DO surgery program in the country and made it into an MD program.

Other programs are starting to take steps to become dual accredited. I've only heard rumors so far so I won't mention specific programs, but the primary reason is so that their graduates are as competitive as possible for fellowships. It's tough to say how many will continue to stay DO programs actively participating in the match and how many will follow in the footsteps of Mercy.

Can anybody comment on Des Peres general surgery residency? I haven't been able to find much info on it. Thanks in advance!

I used info from this thread while I was applying to AOA general surgery residencies. I thought I'd take the time and post some details about some of the programs I encountered on the audition/interview trail. Take everything you read/hear about programs with a grain of salt. Just because one person doesn't like a program doesn't mean you will. I met several people with mixed reviews of the same program. That is why its important to find a program that "fits" for you. Do your own research on programs and try to audition at as many as you can. The audition rotation is basically becoming a prerequisite for an interview/matching for AOA gen surg residencies.

Wyckoff Heights, Brooklyn NY
New chair of surgery and PD. Chair of surgery is very adamant about changing how things work in the program. Started didactics and weekly reading assignments. Pay residents well. Hospital is on border of Brooklyn and Queens. Hospital off of subway line. Trauma experience is poor. They do all their own PICC lines. Only 6 ORs. Don’t get free food. On call rooms are nice. Hospital is old. Previous financial problems although hospital seems to have turned itself around. 40-60 Caribbean med students on service at a time.

Mclaren-Macomb, Mt. Clemens MI
Operative experience excellent. Chiefs often graduate with around 2000 operations. Didactics are very weak. M&M are poorly done as only 1-2 attendings show up. Morning lectures are poorly done and mostly presented by interns. Intern year is traditional. No OR time as intern. First assist as 2nd year. Start to operate as a third year. Trauma is Level 2 but very weak. Mostly falls and ortho trauma. A lot of vascular exposure with in-house fellowship. They do block nights. ER is busy. Free food in cafeteria. Daily noon lectures for interns. Tend to lean towards MI kids. Newer surgery center with 8 OR’s and 6 old ORs. Program is very inbred as many of the attendings have graduated from this residency. Many of the residents live 30-40 mins from hospital in a nicer area. Only will consider auditoners.

St. Joseph Regional, Patterson NJ
Strong didactics and clinical experience. Busy service. Very busy trauma 2 center with level 1 stuff rolling in every day. Residents take call q4. Monthly food stipend. Surgery, peds, trauma and wound clinics. 12 newer OR’s and new SICU and MICU. Very academically minded program. Will only really consider auditioners. Residents are skilled. Interns operate. MD team also at hospital. On call rooms are nice. Starting in-house Plastics and maybe SICU fellowship programs. Very close to NYC and nicer neighborhoods in NJ. Board scores are very important for matching. Pay isn't that great in regards to how expensive the area is. Probably the best program in the North East.

Palisades Medical Center, North Bergen NJ
Rotate at a couple of different hospitals. Englewood, Hackensack to name a few. PD is a big name in trauma as he did his fellowship at Shock/Trauma in Baltimore. Location is right across the river from NYC. Intern year is more traditional. Start operating 2nd year. They cover everything from OB/GYN to OMFS cases. Work with different EMR’s and different systems so they are exposed to different patient populations and different logistics. PD is very adamant about adding hospitals to cover and maybe possibility adding fellowships (breast, SICU?). High cost of living to relatively low salary for the area. Can moonlight after third year. Good atmosphere, supportive. Rotate with Mt Sinai integrated vascular residents at Hackensack. Newer program. Inherited 1-4year students from other programs. Will likely take at least one of their TRI’s. Becoming a new PCOM-like residency program with many hospitals to cover.

Grandview Hospital, Dayton OH
Ohio is cheap and an easy place to live. Compensation is good and many residents moonlight on their spare time for $65 an hour at Southview hospital. Block nights. Call schedule is generous. Operative experience is good and dependent on how you do as a resident. Residents are very well read and do well on exams. Bi-weekly didactics with chapter reviews out of Sabistons text. Grand rounds with other MD program weekly. No trauma at GV. Trauma at Grant in Columbus. Other away rotations are good. Free food as resident. Hospital is 100% EMR (EPIC). Will only consider auditioners. The audition is essentially everything at this place as they don't necessarily care about your boards. Program is very inbred with many of the attendings graduating from this program. Probably the best lifestyle of any residency programs that I've seen.

Plaza Medical Center, Fort Worth TX
Smaller program. Previously thought of as malignant. However, all those residents are now gone. New PD has changed the style of the program drastically. Are planning to cover Plaza Day Surgery and Baylor All Saints in addition to Plaza. Out rotations are solid in Houston (MD Anderson, Memorial, Tx Childrens). Transplant done at Baylor All Saints. Free food for residents. Getting salary increase next year. Very academically oriented program with 3 mornings of didactics, including journal club, M&M and board review. Residents tend to do well in exams and were 3rd among DO programs this last year. Fort Worth area is very affordable. Hospital is very nice. Good fellowship match. Operative experience is excellent and residents are skilled. They cover a surg onc guy who does a lot of whipple's and esophagoectomies. Also a lot of vascular exposure. Audition rotation and boards are important. In my opinion, this place is a hidden gem.

Arnot Health, Elmira NY
Elmira is a small town near border of NY and Penn (middle of nowhere). About population of 100,000 for the surrounding area. Hospital is pretty low key and low paced. Only have interns there now at a place where there has never been residents. Attendings seem enthusiastic about the program. They only cover 3-4 gen surgeons right now. They are planning on adding trauma in Rochester and Hepatobilliary somewhere else. Everything else they are planning on doing in house. Hospital is older. Residents do night float. Only do 4 months of gen surg during intern year (2 months being night float). Seems to be a family type environment. I'd question volume as the program grows. Will likely take one of their TRI's if any are interested in surgery.

Flushing Medical Center, Queens NY
Pt population is mainly Korean or Spanish speaking. Newer program, however they inherited residents from Peninsula’s program so they are a full program. Rotate at a couple of other hospitals for surg onc, trauma and peds. Didactics on Tuesdays. The area around the hospital isn’t too bad. No subway close by, but the bus system runs in the surrounding area pretty extensively. Residents take call q3-4 with 3 residents on call at a time. Residents get paid really well although pay is appropriate for the surrounding area. Have to pay for parking. Get meal allowance that they don’t have to spend on meals if they don’t want to. Get small stipend for books…etc. Operative experience seemed good.

Lutheran, Brooklyn NY
Trauma level one. Busy service. Morning report every MWF where residents present cases and the attending pimp them on decision making and disease processes. M&M or grand rounds on Thursdays. Didactics are on Friday. Mostly all rotations are in house. Residents use electives mainly to go to Sloan Kettering to get more hepatobiliary cases. Hospital is old. Transitioning to EMR. Surgery room where all residents spend their free time. Call is q3-4. Talk of starting SICU, vascular and plastics fellowships.

John C Lincoln, Phoenix AZ
New program this year. Attendings are all excited about the program. The PD was a previous PD at an MD program. Level 1 trauma center with great SICU experience. Will cover two different JCL hospitals. There will be huge volume for the residents. General surgeons at JCL skilled in MIS and robotics. Will most likely be difficulties starting the program as this hospital hasn't previously had residents (interactions with nurses, call schedule, didactics..etc). However, in my opinion, this will be the best residency out west. They have all the makings of a great residency program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wyckoff Heights, Brooklyn NY
New chair of surgery and PD. Chair of surgery is very adamant about changing how things work in the program. Started didactics and weekly reading assignments. Pay residents well. Hospital is on border of Brooklyn and Queens. Hospital off of subway line. Trauma experience is poor. They do all their own PICC lines. Only 6 ORs. Don’t get free food. On call rooms are nice. Hospital is old. Previous financial problems although hospital seems to have turned itself around. 40-60 Caribbean med students on service at a time.
Has anyone else been told you have to be from an affiliated school in order to audition?

Seemed quite odd to me but maybe policies have changed?

What are most opinions on doing 2 week rotations? Do PD's generally think of you any better for spending a full month? Thanks!

Any information on Henry Ford, Metro Health, or St. John's Providency Oakland programs?

Is the general consensus to rotate at the best residencies you can, or is it to rotate at a mix of "competitive" places vs. "less competitive" places?

Is the general consensus to rotate at the best residencies you can, or is it to rotate at a mix of "competitive" places vs. "less competitive" places?

Depends on how competitive you are as an applicant (boards, grades, research...etc).

What is competitive? How important is research?

Some places will only match candidates that have >600 on step 1 and 2 (Doctors, St. Joseph's...etc). Others only care about the audition rotation (Grandview, newer programs...etc). I'd say >600 on step 1 and 2 and a solid audition can get you in anywhere in the osteopathic world considering that the rest of your app is in good order (the higher the better as far as boards are concerned). But, in general >550 is becoming the "competitive" norm for osteopathic GS. Things got really competitive this last year. I showed up on audition at some places and they had like 8 auditioners per month (from July to December), all with similar stats. Osteopathic GS isn't as competitive as osteopathic ortho, but certainly is getting more and more competitive every year.

Research is a plus for GS. Not as important, but definitely will look good to program directors.