Osteopathic EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Totally going to depend on the place you rotate. Most allopathic schools grade on the H, HP, P system. AOA schools are highly variable with their grading systems. Unfortunately no grading scale is perfect, and even if everyone was on the honors, HP, pass system, how each rotation determines to get out those grades going to be variable. I don't think you can answer your above questions, because every different program is going to decide how they weigh post shift evaluations (if they do them), whether or not they do an exam at the end, etc. This is why put on a lot of weight into the overall grade on an EM rotation. I think the sloe rank is a better marker, because its a standardized ranking. Sure it still subjective, but overall I think its the best marker of student performance, the question is simple, where are you anticipating ranking this student.

Thank you so much for your efforts to answer questions for us. As a follow up... if I believe for the most part I haven't blown away my residents/attendings with my patient presentations, procedures and therefore expect to be average... should I start planning for backup specialties now? I know CDEM states that middle 1/3 people do get ranked but realistically, should I have backups just in case? Just for reference my step 1 and step 2 scores are also essentially average

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for your efforts to answer questions for us. As a follow up... if I believe for the most part I haven't blown away my residents/attendings with my patient presentations, procedures and therefore expect to be average... should I start planning for backup specialties now? I know CDEM states that middle 1/3 people do get ranked but realistically, should I have backups just in case? Just for reference my step 1 and step 2 scores are also essentially average

It depends. I think its way to early to be worrying about backups when its only August. There's more rotations, more SLOEs, more auditions. The time to decide on how to approach a backup is once you see how many interviews you get. If you get 10-12 interviews, then I don't think its necessary to plan for a backup. If you get 5 interviews, then you need to start planning. At that point, the decision is, do you plan for a backup and interview for one, or do you just roll the dice with the interviews you have, then scramble into a backup. If the backup is FP, and there's always scramble spots available, then you may not want to waste your time interviewing in FP if you can just scramble into it later. On the otherhand, if there are a few FP or IM programs that you really like, and ones that don't usually have spots to scramble into, you may want to consider ranking them. But again, its WAY TOO EARLY to be planning for this.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone getting interviews yet from the AOA spectrum?
It depends. I think its way to early to be worrying about backups when its only August. There's more rotations, more SLOEs, more auditions. The time to decide on how to approach a backup is once you see how many interviews you get. If you get 10-12 interviews, then I don't think its necessary to plan for a backup. If you get 5 interviews, then you need to start planning. At that point, the decision is, do you plan for a backup and interview for one, or do you just roll the dice with the interviews you have, then scramble into a backup. If the backup is FP, and there's always scramble spots available, then you may not want to waste your time interviewing in FP if you can just scramble into it later. On the otherhand, if there are a few FP or IM programs that you really like, and ones that don't usually have spots to scramble into, you may want to consider ranking them. But again, its WAY TOO EARLY to be planning for this.

Appreciate it gamerEMdoc... I thank you for your words of wisdom.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity... is anyone getting interviews yet? I'm curious because my previous audition place in Jul stated they won't release sloe's until september

Question for you guys. If I have 1 SLOR already, but not SLOR #2, should I go ahead and upload say a IM and a FM letter so that my application is finalized and ready for review/consideration? I imagine that programs would expect me to upload the second SLOR, aka letter #4 for me, but wasn't sure if that matters this early in the season.

Just wait for the second SLOE.

Received first set of interviews this week (Aria and Promedica Monroe Regional Hospital)! Only 1 SLOE at the moment so was surprised with the invite. Anyone else hear back from any other programs?

I got an invite from promedica with no SLOEs or LOR so i was really shocked

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

If anyone has insight into Promedica Monroe Regional Hospital EM residency would love to hear it. I believe they are graduating their first class this year. Thank you!

It's not uncommon to get interview invites without a LOR/SLOE. Some places want you to have completed application with 2 letters before they extend an invite, other places want to extend initial invites based on your scores/ERAS application. Have at least 1+ SLOEs by the time you interview, the more the better.

Also got an ii from Monroe without a sloe. Still waiting on my first one to come in.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you guys dont mind sharing what were your scores with these invites ? and did you take both step 1 +2 or just comlex ?

if you guys dont mind sharing what were your scores with these invites ? and did you take both step 1 +2 or just comlex ?
For ProMedica, I don't think you even have the option of sending Step scores.

Well its AOA so USMLE doesn't matter. Complex was nothing great. 520-530 range.

For ProMedica, I don't think you even have the option of sending Step scores.

Well its AOA so USMLE doesn't matter. Complex was nothing great. 520-530 range.

appreciate the feed back guys, idk what to think anymore with this damn merger. Ive spoke to some programs that will only now take Step scores even though they were previously aoa and some that will take both this year but could not comment on next which is when i apply. Just getting a feel for it thats all. My level 1 score was good (659) but i chocked on step 1 (228).

Can you send step scores to any AOA program I didn't see that option for anywhere I don't think. I took both steps and they just are not reported to the AOA programs as far as I can tell. My comlex scores were 510s and 570s

appreciate the feed back guys, idk what to think anymore with this damn merger. Ive spoke to some programs that will only now take Step scores even though they were previously aoa and some that will take both this year but could not comment on next which is when i apply. Just getting a feel for it thats all. My level 1 score was good (659) but i chocked on step 1 (228).
Your step one Is fine. Just apply smart, good recs, improve on step 2.

Wut. 228 is hardly choking. I definitely choked on step I (203) with 536 Comlex I and 599 Comlex II and am sitting on two interviews from placed that I didn't rotate. Don't be so hard on yourself.

228 is fine. We all get neurotic. I know I did when I applied. Take step 2 and get within average and you'll be fine

Anyone else get an ii without a SLOE? Particularly in the northeast? I have now finished two auditions and on my third. It's a bit frustrating that mine from July still hasn't been sent out yet. Applied on the first day when AOA apps came out.

my stats are 540+comlex 570+comlex II... 230+ on step 1 and 240 step 2. I thought I would get some love in the AOA world

Hey guys, I tried compiling a list of who has a minimum board requirement and who has moved over to ACGME this cycle.
Anyone have any further info that I'm missing?

Attachments

• EM list.docx
    18.9 KB · Views: 151
UH Regional Hospitals in Richmond Heights, OH is not taking applications anymore as the program is closing.

Hey guys, I tried compiling a list of who has a minimum board requirement and who has moved over to ACGME this cycle.

Unity Health Searcy is up in the air this cycle. I think they are waiting until the RRC meets to figure out what they are going to do. They are not listed in ERAS for DO or MD

mclaren macomb is acgme from what i was told

Any additions for programs that have a min?
So far I have kingman, arrowhead, Lehigh, palm beach consortium (now acgme but was 450 Comlex), Kent also had one I think but that's acgme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any additions for programs that have a min?
So far I have kingman, arrowhead, Lehigh, palm beach consortium (now acgme but was 450 Comlex), Kent also had one I think but that's acgme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PBC/kingman you have to rotate to get an interview unless that changed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Unity Health Searcy is up in the air this cycle. I think they are waiting until the RRC meets to figure out what they are going to do. They are not listed in ERAS for DO or MD

Smh are they still letting people rotate with their questionable status?

Yep, got a classmate that got a rotation, but he wound up giving it up for one at an ACGME program.

Glad it worked out for him. It's an odd position for an applicant though you have a worthless sloe but if you ride it out with them then they may look at you very favorably during the match if they get rrc approval. I think it's shady then went AOA route so close to the merger instead of ACGME from day 1

List of programs that my classmates received interviews from so far:
Lehigh, Aria, st vincent, Merit, Coney island, Lumberton, Promedica

List of programs that my classmates received interviews from so far:
Lehigh, Aria, st vincent, Merit, Coney island, Lumberton, Promedica

Did they rotate at these sites to obtain interviews? And do you know if their SLOES were in?

Did they rotate at these sites to obtain interviews? And do you know if their SLOES were in?
I didn't rotate at Lumberton or promedica and didn't have any SLOEs in and was given interviews. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3rd year at Promedica Monroe/Toledo hospital here. Our first class will be graduating this year. Added 2 new core faculty as well. I'm happy to answer any questions you guys have. The program has a laid back atmosphere but there is no hand holding. I personally feel comfortable handing sick patients and dealing with the surge. I have over 70 lines, 100 tubes, 15 chest tubes, 1 pericardiocentesis, 1 fiber optic. Monroe has weird overdoses all day every day. ER puts in hemodialysis lines. Trauma is done in Toledo and Baltimore shock trauma. Senior just got back and said there were close to ten thoracotomies.

Reactions: 1 users
What are you guys doing for programs that are listed on both the AOA and ACGME side of ERAS? Applying to the one or the other or applying to both?

What are you guys doing for programs that are listed on both the AOA and ACGME side of ERAS? Applying to the one or the other or applying to both?

I got burned by one of those. Applied on the AOA side, and a month later got an email saying that I needed to reapply on the ACGME side since they were not supposed to be listed on AOA. I'd contact them and find out what they want done.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Any recent interview activity? I'm hoping for some EM love on the second wave.

Just got an email from INTEGRIS Southwest Medical Center in Oklahoma City. They are going to participate in both matches this year after originally deciding to only do the NRMP match.

Just got an email from INTEGRIS Southwest Medical Center in Oklahoma City. They are going to participate in both matches this year after originally deciding to only do the NRMP match.
When I first saw that email I got super excited thinking it was an invite....womp womp. lol.

Anyone know what is going on with Arrowhead? I see they got their initial accreditation with ACGME, but it says they have closed on AOA and they haven't opened up on ACGME...

Mercy Health hospital in Musckegon, MI sent out II today. Anyone have any reviews about this program?

I got a message from Henry Ford Macomb today that the AOA match will now be strictly 4 year programs and that they will only in the ACGME match this year. They and Henry Ford Wyandotte are both 3 years now and had previously planned on splitting their spots between the two matches.

I got a message from Henry Ford Macomb today that the AOA match will now be strictly 4 year programs and that they will only in the ACGME match this year. They and Henry Ford Wyandotte are both 3 years now and had previously planned on splitting their spots between the two matches.

Im just loving spending extra money to reapply to programs due to this merger or this new 4 years only nonsense. Would be nice if they would actually refund us our money for each application that was wasted due to this.

When I first saw that email I got super excited thinking it was an invite....womp womp. lol.
Same here. Im headed to Norman Regional for October. Hopefully, I can interview at both while I'm out there.

And I got a bunch of emails from MSOPTI/Ohio Valley Medical Center today. They have pulled out of the AOA match and are going ACGME match only. So, had to reapply there too. Yay, me.

Im just loving spending extra money to reapply to programs due to this merger or this new 4 years only nonsense. Would be nice if they would actually refund us our money for each application that was wasted due to this.
Do we need to reapply? It didn't say anything about our ERAS application, just having to rank in NRMP rather than NMS. Or am I misreading that?