Ortho residency after L4-S1 fusion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GaBulldog

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as I was starting my 4th year in June I had a L4-5 discectomy. Unfortunately I developed a Staph osteomyelitis that smoldered for months before we figured out what was going on (normal imaging, no white count, normal ESR). I had to take a medical leave, and in August I had an L4-S1 ALIF as well as posterior instrumentation. Almost 6 months post-op I'm doing really well. Back in the gym lifting, cycling, off all meds. My only complaint is since the operations it's become fairly uncomfortable to stand for more than 3-4 hours. My surgeon is a really well known academic guy and he's basically said he thinks it would be difficult for me to make it through an orthopedics residency now.

I'm wondering if programs will look at me as a liability or a risky candidate considering what I've been through. I scored mid 240s and have 9 publications, so before this all happened I figured I had a good shot. I'm also worried that I won't have any way to test my endurance in the OR or on a really busy service until this summer when it's pretty late in the game to switch directions. Any advice from current residents or attendings would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are doing lifting and gym without pain, maybe there is a chance. I will say that not being able to stand 3-4 hrs is a big problem. I know you said you won't have time to test your endurance, but I think you can. Take some weekends and go scrub an ortho case that is of that length of time or similar. Lots of trauma cases happen on weekends--go be in the OR the whole day and see if you're ok. Run around with the on-call resident to see if you can do the same easily. And try to find those long cases (spine guys sometimes operate on Saturdays, or you can find some time during the week or vacation time--I am sure your school can make it happen if you explain the situation).

If you are doing lifting and gym without pain, maybe there is a chance. I will say that not being able to stand 3-4 hrs is a big problem. I know you said you won't have time to test your endurance, but I think you can. Take some weekends and go scrub an ortho case that is of that length of time or similar. Lots of trauma cases happen on weekends--go be in the OR the whole day and see if you're ok. Run around with the on-call resident to see if you can do the same easily. And try to find those long cases (spine guys sometimes operate on Saturdays, or you can find some time during the week or vacation time--I am sure your school can make it happen if you explain the situation).

That's a good idea. I'll talk to my advisor to see if that can be arranged. Thanks for your advice.