Ortho Private practice lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frogger27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this depends on the specific practice, but in general what is the typical lifestyle of a private practice orthopod?

The only orthopod I know is in academics and man that guy works hard. He is 60 and is still working easily 60+ hour weeks. Granted, he chooses to do this because he LOVES it and does not consider doing what he loves "work".

Just curious to the lifestyle in different practice set ups since all I have seen is a workaholic in academics.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that this depends on the specific practice, but in general what is the typical lifestyle of a private practice orthopod?

The only orthopod I know is in academics and man that guy works hard. He is 60 and is still working easily 60+ hour weeks. Granted, he chooses to do this because he LOVES it and does not consider doing what he loves "work".

Just curious to the lifestyle in different practice set ups since all I have seen is a workaholic in academics.

Thanks!

Depends, most private guys actually work pretty hard because they have to cover expenses and overhead. The easiest gig is probably hospital employed in community setting, but it comes with it's own headaches - Limited control.

Lifestyle can be managed after residency but you gotta survive the residency for 5 years. Also, keep in mind that as a young attending, you'll work pretty hard if you want to establish yourself, regardless of private v employed and subspecialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies @DarkHorizon and @OrthoTraumaMD . I always thought that PP was a little more relaxed, but it makes sense that they work really hard trying to build their practice/earn their keep when starting out.

Are there some orthopods either in PP or hospital employee that work ~<50 hours with a decent call schedule? Sounds like the trauma docs have the most unpredictable schedule, but do general, hand or F&A people find some decent gigs once they finish residency?

Thanks for the replies @DarkHorizon and @OrthoTraumaMD . I always thought that PP was a little more relaxed, but it makes sense that they work really hard trying to build their practice/earn their keep when starting out.

Are there some orthopods either in PP or hospital employee that work ~<50 hours with a decent call schedule? Sounds like the trauma docs have the most unpredictable schedule, but do general, hand or F&A people find some decent gigs once they finish residency?
The best way to think of it is that in ortho everybody works hard and nobody wants a part time partner. Are there some docs that regularly work 40 hour weeks? Probably, but I haven't met one yet.

My rotations pretty much taught me everyone works hard in medicine (with some exceptions) - whether I was on family medicine at a private practice where the attending worked 60+ hour weeks or ortho where I was working 80 or more. The question is more what would you rather be doing while you work hard. I'd rather enjoy the 80 hours than watch the clock until it hits 40-60 hours.

My rotations pretty much taught me everyone works hard in medicine (with some exceptions) - whether I was on family medicine at a private practice where the attending worked 60+ hour weeks or ortho where I was working 80 or more. The question is more what would you rather be doing while you work hard. I'd rather enjoy the 80 hours than watch the clock until it hits 40-60 hours.

The best way to think of it is that in ortho everybody works hard and nobody wants a part time partner. Are there some docs that regularly work 40 hour weeks? Probably, but I haven't met one yet.

Yeah I think most orthopods are naturally workaholics, but they love what they do so they do not mind it too much. I was just curious as to the different types of practice set ups and possible lifestyle since the only one I have spent time around was in an Academic setting.

Most of my fellow trauma guys do that fairly easily...I think it just depends what you can get used to. But yes you can slow down by then if you want to.

You trauma docs are a special breed :) thank you for your replies on this thread btw.

Is there much of a difference in lifestyle between the different ortho sub specialties? I'm guessing the biggest difference would be in call schedule, where trauma probably have the most unpredictable schedule.

You trauma docs are a special breed :) thank you for your replies on this thread btw.

Is there much of a difference in lifestyle between the different ortho sub specialties? I'm guessing the biggest difference would be in call schedule, where trauma probably have the most unpredictable schedule.

Used to be that trauma guys took most of the call. In newer model, in most groups/hospitals every one takes equal amount of call and tees up the trauma cases for the trauma guys. Trauma guys come in the am and clean it up. The unpredictably in trauma comes from number of cases. You may have a day with just one case, or you may have 8, where as your sports/hand/joints guys will know their schedule weeks in advance.

There are still places out there where trauma guys take most of the call, but they get paid for that call pretty handsomely, at least from what I have seen.

Lifestyle wise, sports is probably the most Cush... surgeries are mostly outpatient, fairly low stress, patients are relatively healthy and want to get better, pay for now is pretty good. There are cons however, lots of sports guys floating around doing their sports magic so it's very saturated , patients are pretty demanding, some times downright unreasonable. There's some controversy regarding some sports procedures/techniques and whether they are beneficial at all, some will disagree but I think the field is still in infancy and things change every few months. Again, if you want to make a lot of money you will work hard, but if you have an exclusive sports practice, your lifestyle will probably be the best out of any subspecialty. No inpatient rounding/consults. Minimal ED call. Out patient surgery. But there's a lot of competition so good luck with having an exclusive sports practice in any desirable area.

Joints/foot & ankle/ hand are probably next, pretty decent lifestyle but if you want more money, again you'll work hard.

Last edited:
Used to be that trauma guys took most of the call. In newer model, in most groups/hospitals every one takes equal amount of call and tees up the trauma cases for the trauma guys. Trauma guys come in the am and clean it up. The unpredictably in trauma comes from number of cases. You may have a day with just one case, or you may have 8, where as your sports/hand/joints guys will know their schedule weeks in advance.

There are still places out there where trauma guys take most of the call, but they get paid for that call pretty handsomely, at least from what I have seen.

Lifestyle wise, sports is probably the most Cush... surgeries are mostly outpatient, fairly low stress, patients are relatively healthy and want to get better, pay for now is pretty good. There are cons however, lots of sports guys floating around doing their sports magic so it's very saturated , patients are pretty demanding, some times downright unreasonable. There's some controversy regarding some sports procedures/techniques and whether they are beneficial at all, some will disagree but I think the field is still in infancy and things change every few months. Again, if you want to make a lot of money you will work hard, but if you have an exclusive sports practice, your lifestyle will probably be the best out of any subspecialty. No inpatient rounding/consults. Minimal ED call. Out patient surgery. But there's a lot of competition so good luck with having an exclusive sports practice in any desirable area.

Joints/foot & ankle/ hand are probably next, pretty decent lifestyle but if you want more money, again you'll work hard.

Agree with above. Sports and hand are cushy unless your group pimps you out for call.