1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Studying for the DAT, GRE, OAT or PCAT? Test Prep Week Exhibitors are here to help!

Organizing own overseas volunteer work

Discussion in 'Dental' started by doctor.ee, Jul 4, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. doctor.ee

doctor.ee

Apr 23, 2017
    Does anyone have experience organizing a dental service trip overseas outside of the organizations already established? I am doing an independent study (pre-dent student) about establishing a charitable foundation component of a private practice where one goes to an underserved area for a week or so to set up a clinic twice a year and serve others. Do you have any experience with this type of work? All I can really find by doing a google search is volunteering with other larger organizations. What kind of certifications/licensure do you need from the country you are visiting?

multinucleated likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. schmoob

schmoob SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Mar 26, 2015
    IMO I would not do this. Many ADCOMS have a problem with overseas volunteer dental work. There are lots of ethical boundary questions involved, and it may end up hurting you more than helping. I would try to find an underserved area domestically and volunteer here.

4. HarryEvans

HarryEvans

Aug 16, 2017
    Hello there! That was really an amazing work you are doing. I didn't have any idea about volunteering overseas. But my sister was participated in a mission humanitaire Afrique as a volunteer to help people living overseas.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017 at 3:43 AM
  5. free99

free99 SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Wait until you're a dentist to try to set something like this up. There's too much you don't know right now for this undertaking

schmoob likes this.