Organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gholam2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
If we have reactions that are not covered in destroyed or I have not come across one is it worth it to know them or should I mainly focus on destroyer. For example, I have not seen anything in destroyer about Robinson Annulation reaction. etc. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,
If we have reactions that are not covered in destroyed or I have not come across one is it worth it to know them or should I mainly focus on destroyer. For example, I have not seen anything in destroyer about Robinson Annulation reaction. etc. Any feedback would be great.
Thanks
Anything is fair game, and life has no guarantees. A Robinson annulation involves a Michael reaction, followed up by an intramolecular Aldol condensation. I think it is a bit too long for a multiple choice type question. Thus, it is one of the very few reactions that I did not put in Destroyer. The DAT will not likely give long questions that are involved and intricate . Thus , reactions such as Chichibabin, Robinson, Nef, Blaise, Barton, Shapiro, Sonagashira, Friedlander,Julia, Peterson, Oppenauer etc will NOT be on the DAT. If you know the reactions in Destroyer, the DAT exam will be a cake -walk.

Hope this helps.......HOWEVER........Since you seem to be a Robinson reaction fan...why not study it and build up confidence ? Nothing is wrong with doing a little extra !!!!!!

Dr. Romano

ImageUploadedBySDN1492622858.080590.jpg

Dr, Romano.
Quick question for synthesis of these particular reaction the mechanism shows that we cannot use catalyst because if we use catalyst it will deactivate the amine and it will not be o/p director! Is that only case for amine or does any other group act like that?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be best to go over all the reactions listed on the study guide in Destroyer since you never know which ones may show up on the real exam.
That being said, the 'hardest' reaction that I came across on my test was a Michael reaction!
I think they really test you on how well you know the basics, so make sure you really get down SN1, SN2, E1, and E2.

Last edited:
View attachment 217937
Dr, Romano.
Quick question for synthesis of these particular reaction the mechanism shows that we cannot use catalyst because if we use catalyst it will deactivate the amine and it will not be o/p director! Is that only case for amine or does any other group act like that?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Acetyl chloride is employed to deactivate the NH2 group and allow it to participate in organic synthesis. Indeed, using a Lewis acid catalyst would be the kiss of death, and result in a failed reaction. Sometimes we would use acetyl chloride if an OH is present. A phenol can react with a Lewis acid, no problem, but you would get o and p isomeric mixture. Say you wanted to do the above reaction, but instead of NH2, we had OH. Acetyl chloride would react in an analogous way, it would deactivate the OH group and allow a high yield of para isomer.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Jim Romano