Organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gholam2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Organic chemistry Dat destroyer 2017, question 230. I do know that Grignard is base but i though that if you mix it very any acidic solution it would destroyed. Am i confusing concept?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have the book, but maybe I can help. Grignard is super basic. It will be destroyed mixing it with even a slight acid like water or alcohol. However, if you see 1.MgCH3Br and under the arrow 2. H2O this means water is added as a second step. This means that grignard has already reacted at this point and water is just there to protonate. Did this help? Or maybe you could write out the problem...

Thank you so much for the respond! I appreciate you. I would like someone that has the book to respond! Sorry I would not want post material that are not mine on SDN just out respect for the author!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the respond! I appreciate you. I would like someone that has the book to respond! Sorry I would not want post material that are not mine on SDN just out respect for the author!
Thanks

A Grignard is indeed a base, and also will attack species such as aldehydes, ketones, esters, acyl halides, and nitriles by acting as a nucleophile. If the compound has an acidic hydrogen such as alcohols, carboxy acids, thiols, etc,,,,,,they will react with the Grignard and indeed destroy the reagent. The ether does NOT have an acidic hydrogen, thus it would not interfere with the Grignard reagent. As a matter of fact, we use this as a solvent when doing the Grignard reaction.

Sorry for the delay in responding I was teaching my MCAT class earlier.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

Thank you so much! I was kind think that but was not sure but thanks fro clearing that. No problem I appreciate the fact you take time and respond to our question it is very valuable! I thank you for your time!

Reactions: 1 user