Organic and gchem textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellab17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know where i could find any free pdfs for ochem and gchem books like chang or wade?
Im going through the destroyer but wanted a detailed reference to look up any concepts i dont remember. Or should i just stick to the chads/mikes or even khan academy videos for concepts bc they will provide the right level of detail for the dat?

Thx so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

i think an actual textbook will confuse you rather than help you. before doing destroyer, i would do a thorough content review with chads videos or mikes. After doing that, run through destroyer a few times.

I think Chad's/Mike's provide a sufficient level of depth you need for content review, anything else you need can be picked up from practice resources. Most textbooks (even as a reference) are just overkill.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thanks you guys, i will stick to using chads and mikes videos which have been helpful so far.

Also, i did watch organic chem tutor videos and those also have been really helpful!

Lastly, what was your strategy for going through destroyer? How many questions a day? Did you write down the important concepts that was being tested in each question or just focused mostly on the questions you missed and reviewing their related concepts?
(I feel like it takes me forever so far to do the questions only bc im writing down concepts tested in each question whether i get them right or wrong. I just want to make sure im not wasting time as i have so many questions to go through)
Any advice??? I want to take my exam at the end of next month and just started destroyer so want to use it effectively.

Thx so much! :)

When going through the destroyer, don't treat the questions like a test. If I got a MC question correct, I wouldn't skip the question entirely. For example, let's say that it was a concept question. I would make sure that I UNDERSTAND why each statement was correct/incorrect before moving on. Then I would take notes of any multiple choice OPTION or QUESTION I had difficulty with or simply did not feel 100% comfortable with (i.e review q 23, or review the concept of ___) before moving on to the next question. Don't bother with timing yourself when doing destroyer for it was never meant to be timed. The first time I did it, it took me AGES to finish the bio and g chem sections. I remember that I spent ~5-6 hours per day on the destroyer alone.

what really helped me out was that I made an excel sheet containing the topics/option choices I was not familiar with, added in a brief summary of what the destroyer had for explanations and added additional info from what I googled AFTER I had finished reading the destroyer solutions. This approach really helped me and I ended up getting pretty good scores on the DAT.

I personally went through the ENTIRE bio destroyer 5-6 times and the g chem destroyer 4 times. The first time I would do it at a slow pace, like 30-50 questions a day and make detailed notes. However, on top of that, I would also re-do the quesitons i circled in the book to keep the content fresh in my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Ok thanks for the advice! Do you think i can realistically finish destroyer and be ready by end of May?
When going through the destroyer, don't treat the questions like a test. If I got a MC question correct, I wouldn't skip the question entirely. For example, let's say that it was a concept question. I would make sure that I UNDERSTAND why each statement was correct/incorrect before moving on. Then I would take notes of any multiple choice OPTION or QUESTION I had difficulty with or simply did not feel 100% comfortable with (i.e review q 23, or review the concept of ___) before moving on to the next question. Don't bother with timing yourself when doing destroyer for it was never meant to be timed. The first time I did it, it took me AGES to finish the bio and g chem sections. I remember that I spent ~5-6 hours per day on the destroyer alone.

what really helped me out was that I made an excel sheet containing the topics/option choices I was not familiar with, added in a brief summary of what the destroyer had for explanations and added additional info from what I googled AFTER I had finished reading the destroyer solutions. This approach really helped me and I ended up getting pretty good scores on the DAT.

I personally went through the ENTIRE bio destroyer 5-6 times and the g chem destroyer 4 times. The first time I would do it at a slow pace, like 30-50 questions a day and make detailed notes. However, on top of that, I would also re-do the quesitons i circled in the book to keep the content fresh in my mind.
'

Ok thanks for the advice! Do you think i can realistically finish destroyer and be ready by end of May?

'
I think that it is doable, but it depends ultimately on how prepared you are (i.e covered all the foundations) and how dedicated/serious you are about studying. If you study for 2 hrs a day, then it wont be possible. However if you have the time to study full time by covering your bases as well as constantly answering destroyer questions, it's definitely doable.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions, i'd try my best to help.

Hi all,

Does anyone know where i could find any free pdfs for ochem and gchem books like chang or wade?
Im going through the destroyer but wanted a detailed reference to look up any concepts i dont remember. Or should i just stick to the chads/mikes or even khan academy videos for concepts bc they will provide the right level of detail for the dat?

Thx so much :)

If you have the time, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest you watch UC Irvine organic chemistry courses on youtube (chem 51A-C). Buy the textbook that they use to do practice problems along with it

This teaches you everything you need to know for orgo section beautifully and its honestly not overkill at all. You can even speed up the videos and watch at 1.25, 1.5 or 2x speed

Literally gave me an amazing base and pretty much is the reason why I got a 30 on orgo