Oregon expands prescribing for pharmacists...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDBro2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Via APhA: Oregon expands prescribing for pharmacists

June 15, 2017
"Advisory committee to develop formulary of drugs and devices eligible for pharmacist prescribing.

In May, Oregon Governor Kate Brown signed into law a bill that allows pharmacists to prescribe and dispense drugs or devices without a physician’s prescription, provided that a health professional has already made a relevant diagnosis and the drugs or devices are on a formulary to be established by an executive committee of allied health professionals. The law expands the previous Public Health Advisory Committee and renames it the Public Health and Pharmacy Formulary Advisory Committee to reflect the inclusion of three pharmacists along with two physicians and two nurse practitioners.

Under the law, pharmacists will also be able request that the committee add a drug or device to the formulary. The committee may recommend drugs or devices to the Board of Pharmacy for inclusion, and the board may add them via rule, rather than go through the state legislature to create and pass laws.

The rule process will save valuable time for all involved, including lawmakers, said Marcus Watt, RPh, executive director of the Oregon Board of Pharmacy. He said the success pharmacists have had in Oregon with prescribing contraception and administering influenza immunizations set the foundation for the law’s passage.

“The legislature realized what a resource pharmacists are and had developed a level of trust. The process now allows for faster and appropriate access to drugs and protocols,” Watt said.

“Five years ago, we didn’t have this bill in mind. But over the last 2 or 3 years, as things evolved, we thought, ‘yes, a formulary is better than going to the legislature every year,” said Bill Cross, lobbyist for the Oregon Pharmacy Coalition, a partnership among the Statewide Pharmacy Coalition, the Oregon State Pharmacy Association, and the Oregon Society of Health-System Pharmacists. “Many of the incumbents were already familiar with us, and they know what pharmacists are in today’s world and what they can do, so we didn’t just come in with this bill [out of nowhere].”

Cross added that much of the legwork involved getting buy-in from groups like the Oregon Medical Association and the Oregon Nurses Association. “When we got to this bill in 2016, we sat down with [both groups]. They had concerns, so we made sure they would be represented on the advisory committee.”

Watt called the law’s passage a win for both patients and pharmacists.

“I believe it will be very positive. In certain parts of our state and metropolitan areas, it can take 28 to 34 days for a person to see a provider. If you need something now, that’s a long time to wait,” Watt said. “I see this as an incredible opportunity for pharmacists to step up and not only benefit the public, but grow the profession and get more job fulfillment. It will change the way people see pharmacists.”

The law took effect upon Brown’s signature, and relevant state boards are in the process of finding candidates for her to appoint. Watt hopes the Public Health and Pharmacy Formulary Advisory Committee will be assembled and ready to meet in October or November."

Terri D'Arrigo, reporter

Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
could be promising especially with the statistic cited that it may take"28 to 34 days" to see a practitioner. Having said that, the way it's written, who the hell knows what it even means. Oregon was one of the first states to do birth control furnishing,even prior to CA. Last time that I checked, CVS/Walgreens/Rite Aid haven't implemented that program due to lack of demand/problems with reimbursements. Unless we see profitability from these services and more jobs created, i can't praise these programs. I've seen too many empty promises and deception from deans of pharmacy schools about "clinical" programs and the direction of pharmacy.

Reactions: 2 users
We have a formulary in FL that RPhs can prescribe from. No one does it, for one thing most of the drugs are OTC now (the list is very old) but even when that wasn't the case I guess no one could figure out how to make it profitable. Plus all the record keeping requirements, etc. Maybe Oregon can make it work where FL failed. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am Oregon licensed, but I don't practice in the state beings I am in the military.

Can't say I'm a fan of how most of the state legislature does its business, but the Oregon BOP has always been awesome to work with, as a technician working in the state, to an intern and now as a pharmacist.

We have had expanded prescribing privileges in the military for quite some time. To me, I say it is about time.

Enact a set of requirements pharmacists must meet and require that insurers pay pharmacists/employers for their services. The insurers still should come out on top as they should not have to pay as much as an office visit to a provider.

could be promising especially with the statistic cited that it may take"28 to 34 days" to see a practitioner. Having said that, the way it's written, who the hell knows what it even means. Oregon was one of the first states to do birth control furnishing,even prior to CA. Last time that I checked, CVS/Walgreens/Rite Aid haven't implemented that program due to lack of demand/problems with reimbursements. Unless we see profitability from these services and more jobs created, i can't praise these programs. I've seen too many empty promises and deception from deans of pharmacy schools about "clinical" programs and the direction of pharmacy.
Actually a number of CVS pharmacies in CA have been prescribing birth controls since last year. The service just got expanded to whole CA last week.

The actual formulary list is still being drafted. But nothing will be finalized until the review board (2 drs, 2 nurses, 3 pharmacists) that will approve the meds is appointed. Based off the last coalition meeting I attended, we'll see more concrete information starting 1/1/18. As for birth control prescribing, Safeway implemented the training as soon as the BOP established the guidelines for it - the Safeway that I was interning at were seeing as much as 3-5 pts per week coming in for BC prescribing. Oregon also approved Nuvaring and Depo-provera prescribing; BOP still working on updating the BC guidelines. The first chain store was reimbursed for BC prescribing sometime earlier this year, so once insurance catches up, I think more stores will consider prescribing.

The Oregon formulary has been updated on the website:

Tizanidine, oxycodone, morphine, Oxycontin, cyclobenzaprine, fentanyl, propafol, and hydrocodone were all approved for immediate prescribing.

Tizanidine, oxycodone, morphine, Oxycontin, cyclobenzaprine, fentanyl, propafol, and hydrocodone were all approved for immediate prescribing.

Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Last edited:

I don't think that's the formulary for pharmacists. When we were discussing it in the meetings, we were looking to tackle the low handing fruit first like inhaler chambers, sudafed, and then build up. The BOP has not established prescribing guidelines so pharmacists wouldn't be able to start immediately prescribing anyways. Also, like I mentioned in my previous post, they're still looking for the advisory committee members that will give final approval on which meds pharmacists are allowed to prescribe.

*it's a joke, matcauthon just forgot to type sarcastically...

Why don't we have a special font for that already? It's 2017 PEOPLE! Maybe all those who want to switch fields to IT in the other forums will make one for us.

There's a standing order now for anyone taking amphetamines to receive a benzo too. Hello Xanax 2mg 1 po qid with Adderall XR 40mg BID + Adderall IR 30 TID prn

This seems impossible unless they will assign a DEA number to their pharmacists

This seems impossible unless they will assign a DEA number to their pharmacists

sarcasm detectors are on sale this week at Walmart I believe...you best be heading there before they sell out.

Reactions: 1 users