Orascoptic HDL prisms feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a 2.5x right now but want to get a new pair as i transition into clinic. Maybe 4.5x.

Would Orascoptic be a wise choice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have a 2.5x right now but want to get a new pair as i transition into clinic. Maybe 4.5x.

Would Orascoptic be a wise choice?
I know someone who has them and is quite happy with them. He is very happy with the 4.5X magnification, says it is perfect.

I don't have the HDL prisms but I do have the Orascoptic HiRes Plus 4.3x and am happy with them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have 4.5x q optics and really like them. They're a little pricey though.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using SDN mobile

I have 4.5x q optics and really like them. They're a little pricey though.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using SDN mobile

Heard fantastic things about Q-Optics. Do you remember how much they came for?

Heard fantastic things about Q-Optics. Do you remember how much they came for?

Q optics are SUPER light, and cheaper than most other brands for the same specs. Plus, they have lifetime warranty, cant beat that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Q optics are SUPER light, and cheaper than most other brands for the same specs. Plus, they have lifetime warranty, cant beat that.

So many options. I hear fantastic things about Q-Optics, then someone comes in and shows me the Orascoptic Eyezoom and I'm mesmerized by those, and then people throw in Designs for Vision. I'm chatting with someone right now as well who swears by Lumadent loupes.

Loupes fair is going to be a fun time.

just bought the XV1 today from orascoptic. Wireless light with build into the back of the loupe. Looks awesome.

Reactions: 2 users
I own a pair of Q-Optics 3.5x prismatic and have enjoyed how lightweight they are, until I tried on a 4.5x Orascoptic recently and their loupes let in so much natural light.
If I get another pair of loupes in the future, I'll be going with Orascoptic. Wise choice.

How was the orascoptic 4.5x's weight compared to that of the Q-Optics 3.5x prismatic?

Q-optics are VERY VERY lightweight and super comfortable. But IMO the field of vision is not very wide, and quite dark. They will definitely be lighter than orascoptics, but IMO the weight difference does not make up for the optics.
I don't know much about lumadent loupes, but I have heard nothing but amazing reviews about their lights.
If I was to get another pair, I would get the orascoptics 4.5 prismatic with lumadent light.

Orascoptic was slightly heavier, but nothing too uncomfortable that the sport strap couldn't have fixed.

Thank you for your reply. Did you happen to get a price estimate for these 4.5x Orascoptics?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
~1200 without light.

Look at this guy, rattling off all the stats and prices from memory. Should start a side-gig as a loupes vendor. Appreciate the info.

Could have sworn my paper said $1500. I'll take a look when i get home
Yeah I would think that price is with a light.

Look at this guy, rattling off all the stats and prices from memory. Should start a side-gig as a loupes vendor. Appreciate the info.
Gotta hustle, my man.

I think you guys/ladies convinced me. I think I'll buy a second set. If you can find people to get in on a lumadent group buy, it'll save a bunch of money. Especially if you split the 11th light among everyone as well. I think it's a little over 300 this way, otherwise its like $450ish if you buy it on your own.

QOptics are the most expensive loupes out of surgitel, orascoptic, DFV.

I think you guys/ladies convinced me. I think I'll buy a second set. If you can find people to get in on a lumadent group buy, it'll save a bunch of money. Especially if you split the 11th light among everyone as well. I think it's a little over 300 this way, otherwise its like $450ish if you buy it on your own.

We did a group buy for lumadent lights and it was $420 for light + two batteries.

Gotta hustle, my man.

We started a group buy in our class and a bunch of us got lumadent lights (kit came with two batteries). Pairs well with my loupes and I am set for the week on one charge.

Reactions: 1 users
We started a group buy in our class and a bunch of us got lumadent lights (kit came with two batteries). Pairs well with my loupes and I am set for the week on one charge.

I always fantasize in the library about starting a company to sell lights to dentists for $200. Would be a good side gig because I know for damn sure that those lights cost maybe $30 max to produce. We are getting ripped off so hard at the prices they charge.

Maybe you will see me on shark tank one day. I'd love for Mr wonderful to tell me my niche is too small and my company sucks. My life would feel complete after that day.

Reactions: 4 users

Gotta hustle, my man.

Screen Shot 2017 04 18 at 12 37 27 AM

The * below 4.5 reads "standard model price, not including XV1.

Can you possibly give me proof for your price? so I can try and get it for that much

QOptics are the most expensive loupes out of surgitel, orascoptic, DFV.

It was the cheapest quote I was given of those. I got 3.5ttl and a light for just under 1300. The others didnt come close especially with a light.

just bought the XV1 today from orascoptic. Wireless light with build into the back of the loupe. Looks awesome.
What loupes did you get on the frame?
And congrats, they are definitely a good buy.

It was the cheapest quote I was given of those. I got 3.5ttl and a light for just under 1300. The others didnt come close especially with a light.

You must be talking about nonprismatic. At that price point it makes sense. The 3.5 TTL prismatic loupes are $1740 without a light.

Screen Shot 2017 04 18 at 12 37 27 AM

The * below 4.5 reads "standard model price, not including XV1.

Can you possibly give me proof for your price? so I can try and get it for that much
So I spoke to the person I know who has the 4.5x prisms. He originally told me that he paid $1600 with light, but he didn't realize it was an additional $400 for the light, instead he thought the additional costs were part of the $1600. So your quotes are accurate.
I'm sorry :(

So I spoke to the person I know who has the 4.5x prisms. He originally told me that he paid $1600 with light, but he didn't realize it was an additional $400 for the light, instead he thought the additional costs were part of the $1600. So your quotes are accurate.
I'm sorry :(

My wallet.... :( but the change was so significant......

If it's not too late, I highly recommend the 4.5x. I think people are very wary of a higher magnification, but once they are used to it they love it.

I was thinking of getting one where i can switch from 3x, 4x, 5x but i think its kind of overkill(it's also almost 1k more). I plan on being a GP or perio/omfs and I don't think its necessary to get that high of a magnification

I was thinking of getting one where i can switch from 3x, 4x, 5x but i think its kind of overkill(it's also almost 1k more). I plan on being a GP or perio/omfs and I don't think its necessary to get that high of a magnification

Bro, some general dentists use microscopes at 8x magnification. Those loupes aren't overkill at all.

I was talking to a general dentist that runs an AEGD or GPR program a few months ago and he requests each of his residents to purchase that same pair.

I have them. Totally worth it. IMO this is one of those purchases that you go big with. I absolutely love them because I have the option of zooming in/out, and I use that option. TBH most of them time I'm using 5x, but I dial it down to 4x very often. Plus they are made with Konica Minolta optics, and the clarity is out of this world. I have zero buyers remorse. $1K in the grand scheme of things is nothing when you consider the value of your eyes and hands.
Think of it this way, do you regret your first loupe purchase? Was it because it was more economical? If so, do not make the same mistake twice. I'm not trying to put you down, I just think certain purchases should not be so financially restricted. You will be using these every single day, for years. And after you get used to them, you cannot imagine using only a 3.5X.

I have them. Totally worth it. IMO this is one of those purchases that you go big with. I absolutely love them because I have the option of zooming in/out, and I use that option. TBH most of them time I'm using 5x, but I dial it down to 4x very often. Plus they are made with Konica Minolta optics, and the clarity is out of this world. I have zero buyers remorse. $1K in the grand scheme of things is nothing when you consider the value of your eyes and hands.
Think of it this way, do you regret your first loupe purchase? Was it because it was more economical? If so, do not make the same mistake twice. I'm not trying to put you down, I just think certain purchases should not be so financially restricted. You will be using these every single day, for years. And after you get used to them, you cannot imagine using only a 3.5X.
Do those have prism lenses?

Do those have prism lenses?
I couldn't find anything that really categorizes them as prismatic or Galilean. But I've tried on plenty of loupes and the clarity of these are top-notch. I like the natural light and the wide field of view as well.

I couldn't find anything that really categorizes them as prismatic or Galilean. But I've tried on plenty of loupes and the clarity of these are top-notch. I like the natural light and the wide field of view as well.

Orascoptic eyezooms are prismatic.

Is Orascoptic the most popular brand of loupes? Which is the best brand, or is there no clear cut winner? I don't know much about loupes.

I just played around with the "build your own" function on Orascoptic's website - is the XV1 frame with the integrated headlight more useful, @AVB2104?

Is Orascoptic the most popular brand of loupes? Which is the best brand, or is there no clear cut winner? I don't know much about loupes.

I just played around with the "build your own" function on Orascoptic's website - is the XV1 frame with the integrated headlight more useful, @AVB2104?
I know a few people who all own orascoptics and they LOVE them. I'm no expert in loupes by any means, but it seems that many people recommend Orascoptics with at least 4x mag, prism lenses. Of course the eyezooms are amazing as well.

It's personal preference. XV1 is cool because it eliminates the need for a battery pack, which can weigh down scrubs or the cord can snag. Some like Q-optics because they weigh next to nothing, other people choose DFV because of durability. I don't know much about Surgitel. Continue doing research and see what you like during the vendor fair.
I will say that I recommend that you do not fall into the trap of buying 2.5X because you're "only a dental student." There is no need to get a pair just to get a replacement pair by D3/D4.

It's personal preference. XV1 is cool because it eliminates the need for a battery pack, which can weigh down scrubs or the cord can snag. Some like Q-optics because they weigh next to nothing, other people choose DFV because of durability. I don't know much about Surgitel. Continue doing research and see what you like during the vendor fair.
I will say that I recommend that you do not fall into the trap of buying 2.5X because you're "only a dental student." There is no need to get a pair just to get a replacement pair by D3/D4.
Thanks for the advice.

What pair are you talking about here? Sorry.

You would recommend them to even a D1?
Yes.
Remember, you aren't buying loupes for Dental school. You're buying loupes to be a dentist. If you end up buying multiple sets, you're lower end/lower mag pair will end up sitting around somewhere and not be used. THAT is a sunk cost. And it was all done to save money, which if you think about it is completely counterintuitive. Do not cut costs with loupes.

Do you ever find them too heavy?
Not with the XV1. They provide a good counterbalance. Plus, once you cinch down the retention cord its fine. There is also another set of supplemental straps from each arm of the frame that can Velcro over the top of your head which distributes the weight further, but you don't need to use them. I have no problem wearing my loupes for hours at a time, weight has never been an issue for me.

Not with the XV1. They provide a good counterbalance. Plus, once you cinch down the retention cord its fine. There is also another set of supplemental straps from each arm of the frame that can Velcro over the top of your head which distributes the weight further, but you don't need to use them. I have no problem wearing my loupes for hours at a time, weight has never been an issue for me.
I was pretty set on the HDL 4.5 prisms, but now you really got me considering those XV1 eyezooms :bookworm:

I was pretty set on the HDL 4.5 prisms, but now you really got me considering those XV1 eyezooms :bookworm:
I definitely got some "Oooh's and Ahhh's" from folks who thought they were really cool. Some said they were jealous :cool:

I definitely got some "Oooh's and Ahhh's" from folks who thought they were really cool. Some said they were jealous :cool:
I am considering the eyezooms as well and do you have the regukar ones or the mini?

And would you say they are heavy? Ive heard people complain about the declination angle, what do you think? Does your neck/ back strain at all when wearing them or are you able to keep a somewhat straight back?

Thank you, and sorry for all the questions!!!

Do you have to get the XV1 light?

I currently have an Orascoptic eyezoom (switch from 3x,4x,5x) with ultralight LED + battery (no XV1). I heard XV1 battery last for only 1.5hrs each so you have 3 hrs for 2 batteries. but the XV1 frame is so bulky.

the orascoptic eyezoom is around 90g, like 20g heavier than regular loupes (they usually weight 60-70g). and does not feel heavy at all when you tighten the head strap. and since the magnification cones are a bit larger, the sales rep recommend maxing out the declination angle so you will not need to bend your neck or anything. I like that loupe and think it is the best choice I make. a few other classmates and myself max out our declination angle and have no problem with the loupes and don't have to send them back in for adjustment

I paid 2200$ for the loupe and 400$ for ultralight. the battery usually last for 16-20 hrs which is amazing

regular orascoptic loupe is 1500$ so the eyezoom is only 700$ more but you have like 3 loupes into one.

Reactions: 2 users