Oral Boards 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenfootsilence

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scores are up! woo hoo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I passed too! Results took about 5-6 weeks from test date to post:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to you all! Any tips or suggestions for the e-oral format for those of us taking it this fall? Anybody have any study resources or review courses they liked?

Passed as well! I used Emergency Medicine Oral Board Review Illustrated and just watched youtube videos and it helped me. I liked the e-format more. I didn't take any courses. I didn't study with any partners. I honestly thought I failed.

Reactions: 1 user
Passed as well! I used Emergency Medicine Oral Board Review Illustrated and just watched youtube videos and it helped me. I liked the e-format more. I didn't take any courses. I didn't study with any partners. I honestly thought I failed.

Same top to bottom.
Solo studied... I thought Okuda was fantastic for that approach- lent itself well to doing the case in your head. Did a few triple cases w one of my colleagues, and that was really helpful for timing.
I legit thought I failed too... and I felt really prepared. The E oral part threw off the cadence of proctor and candidate I thought, but truthfully abem was amazingly transparent w the software- you can play with the candidate interface ANd the proctors so you know how it's working.

It's intimidating... but just take your time w each case, and tick the boxes... urine pregs, tetanus, abx, etc

Good luck everyone and CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I used the Okuda book as well, went over between 3 to 5 cases a day for about 2 months leading up to the test. It helps reinforce the critical steps which the test really is testing. No paid prep courses. I couldn't find a practice partner (asked a family member but realized it would be hard to teach them about the test so I decided it wasn't worth it. If you can find a colleague taking the test that might be better).

There was one case during the actual test that was confusing to get through. I kept thinking I had missed something... but apparently, you can be unsure about a case and still pass. Good luck to those taking it in the future. You will get a chance to see the software the day before the test.
I recommend staying at the hotel where the test will be given and a good breakfast. But there was one break to stretch out.

I used the Okuda book as well, went over between 3 to 5 cases a day for about 2 months leading up to the test. It helps reinforce the critical steps which the test really is testing. No paid prep courses. I couldn't find a practice partner (asked a family member but realized it would be hard to teach them about the test so I decided it wasn't worth it. If you can find a colleague taking the test that might be better).

There was one case during the actual test that was confusing to get through. I kept thinking I had missed something... but apparently, you can be unsure about a case and still pass. Good luck to those taking it in the future. You will get a chance to see the software the day before the test.
I recommend staying at the hotel where the test will be given and a good breakfast. But there was one break to stretch out.

Won't talk specifics, but I think I know exactly which case you are referencing haha

Reactions: 1 users
Also passed, woot! I can also say that looking back I know I missed a thing or two, and you can still pass with a decent score. Just do the Okuda book (knowing some of those cases do have unrealistic critical actions) but practicing with a colleague is the best. Get a system down to get all of those data gathering points, learn to order O2, IV, Labs, BGL on everyone, stuff like that. Nothing on the test was a complete zebra.