OR footwear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YadaYadaNext

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In desperate need of some new shoes to wear to work - 99% scrubs in OR and ICU.

Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

merrell

Reactions: 1 users
Me too. I tried a few other brands when I started out. But for the last 12 years it's been Merrill. I just buy different color versions. They are so comfortable. $80 usually. Hardly on sale. I hate buying retail. But there is a reason they aren't on sale even on internet.

Jungle Moc

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I used to wear super birki and wore them into falling apart status, very comfortable. Only problem is lack of ventilation made your feet smell wonderful. Very easy to clean and slip in and out of, I deferred on buying them again because of stinky feet but I would recommend still

Last edited:
Boost has changed the shoe game forever. Adidas Ultra Boost or Pure Boost, my friend. Are they pricey? Yes. But there is nothing that even remotely compares comfort wise. There's a reason these are sold out nearly everywhere.

Reactions: 3 users
I used to wear super birki and wore them into falling apart status, very comfortable. Only problem is lack of ventilation made your feet smell wonderful. Very easy to clean and slip in and out of, I deferred on buying them again because of stinky feet but I would recommend still

"one weird trick": grab a small bottle of chlorhexidine soap from the supply room. wash your feet with it once a week. your feet will NEVER smell (and I wear danskos), and the 4 oz bottle will last most of a year.

I wear Ariat boots. Super comfortable, waterproof, and it helps make me just a smidgeon taller. (I'm already tall, but it makes sure that surgeons have to look up at me to tell me why they disagree.) But mostly the first two.

Crocs bistro vent. Solid grip in wet environments. Recessed side vents have never allowed any fluids inside and my feet stay dry because they breathe well. Very plush cushioning. Easy to clean with the wipes. Durable. Cheap. Ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well, I always let my feet air our by slipping them out of the shoes when I am sitting down in the OR. That, plus the fact that I am a girl, means no stinky feet.

Merrills are so comfortable I bought an extra pair as my day to day shoes. I can't recommend them more highly.

I've been wearing some of the higher end running shoes. It's about the only way to "customize" what you wear in the OR w/o nurses throwing a fit about not having a bouffant on or bare below the elbows or some other equally dumb nursing initiative.

Nike Air Max Flyknit
Mizuno Wave Prophecy

Both are super comfortable

Members don't see this ad :)
Hands down, Merrill Encore.

Really tried to buy into the hype of Danskos TWICE... no luck!

Gonna go with Merrill from here on out.

Good luck on your search

Birkenstock Boston

Attachments

• IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 104
Sperry Topsiders.

One guess what region I'm in.

Yeeeesh in the OR? Wouldn't blood seep into the leather? I love my sperries but...

Good old Asics for me, great support and I can stand for hours no problems. Wasn't a huge Dansko fan, personally.

Yeeeesh in the OR? Wouldn't blood seep into the leather? I love my sperries but...

Good old Asics for me, great support and I can stand for hours no problems. Wasn't a huge Dansko fan, personally.

Blood soaks into asics too.

Blood soaks into asics too.

Eh, nothing some rubbing alcohol can't get out - but not sure if that would work with leather shoes. Can cover if expecting something big like a trauma. I use my old running shoes so if they get gross I just pitch them.

I wear Ariat boots. Super comfortable, waterproof, and it helps make me just a smidgeon taller. (I'm already tall, but it makes sure that surgeons have to look up at me to tell me why they disagree.) But mostly the first two.
Which ones? And does blood wipe off off easily? Some of my lines are still a little messy at times and I get blood on my shoes.

Boost has changed the shoe game forever. Adidas Ultra Boost or Pure Boost, my friend. Are they pricey? Yes. But there is nothing that even remotely compares comfort wise. There's a reason these are sold out nearly everywhere.

Based on your rave review, I patiently waited until a pair became available online....Been wearing them since Monday and brother, you weren't lying, these shoes are the real deal. Friggin' amazing, like walking on clouds of butter. Great for jogging too.

My wife and I both got our first pairs of ultra boost and pure boost recently and I don't foresee either of us ever wearing a non-boost athletic shoe again. For real.

Hands down, Merrill Encore.

Really tried to buy into the hype of Danskos TWICE... no luck!

Gonna go with Merrill from here on out.

Good luck on your search
They flatten out after a year or so, and become less comfortable.

My wife and I both got our first pairs of ultra boost and pure boost recently and I don't foresee either of us ever wearing a non-boost athletic shoe again. For real.
Just as I posted above. Welcome to the boost life. Nothing else, including anything posted on here, even compares.

I tried on some Adidas Ultra Boost. I thought the sole and upper felt great, but it seems like the elastic around the ankle was kind of uncomfortable and would bug me over time. Does the ankle loosen up with wear or are there other Boost shoes with a normal tongue?

Just wanted to chime in on the blood thing. Forget alcohol swabs, nothing gets blood out better that H2O2. You'll probably find a brown bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the OR.

I tried on some Adidas Ultra Boost. I thought the sole and upper felt great, but it seems like the elastic around the ankle was kind of uncomfortable and would bug me over time. Does the ankle loosen up with wear or are there other Boost shoes with a normal tongue?

Did you try on the Ultra Boost 3's? The first 2 versions had a more exaggerated elastic ankle. The 3's still have elastic and I had the same concern when I first tried them on but I have not noticed it at all. Also, the elastic allows me to take them on and off without untying the laces.

Did you try on the Ultra Boost 3's? The first 2 versions had a more exaggerated elastic ankle. The 3's still have elastic and I had the same concern when I first tried them on but I have not noticed it at all. Also, the elastic allows me to take them on and off without untying the laces.

Yeah they were the 3s. I ordered some pure boost online instead since they have some kind of folded tongue in the picture that hopefully will feel looser or will be adjustable. Hopefully the soles feel similar to the ultra boosts!

Crocs do the trick for me. Enough space for my wide feet. Easy to slide out of so my feet can breathe, and the chem wipes easily clean off all the propofol and blood. Plus my wife gets them online for 13 bucks.

Picked up some adidas boosts, they're the shiz

Just bought the adidas ultraboost. These feel amazing! I wore Danskos for 3 years, and they were too heavy and not comfortable if you have to walk around alot. Then I started wearing random Nike sneakers, which were hit or miss, but became intolerable after 16 hrs on a shift. These Adidas Ultraboost are so comfy though! They're light weight and feel cush around the feet.