Optometry Shadowing Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monica__t_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying this summer for admission in Fall 2018. I shadowed for a total of 16 hours last summer (2 days each at two different private practices). What are your experiences in getting a letter of recommendation from an optometrist? Is is bad to ask for a letter if I'm not working at the office and only shadow a couple times? I'm returning to the same office as last summer, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the letter. Any comments/thoughts are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Tell them upfront that you'll need a letter of recommendation and ask them what their expectations from you are.

I highly recommend that you try to get more shadowing hours in because 1) The optometrist will know you well enough to write you a LOR and 2) I don't think 16 hours is enough for shadowing. UAB requires 40 hours and SCO requires 30 hours. It is best to get more shadowing hours in so that way you can gain more knowledge about optometry and this will show schools that you have a strong passion towards optometry.

I highly recommend that you try to get more shadowing hours in because 1) The optometrist will know you well enough to write you a LOR and 2) I don't think 16 hours is enough for shadowing. UAB requires 40 hours and SCO requires 30 hours. It is best to get more shadowing hours in so that way you can gain more knowledge about optometry and this will show schools that you have a strong passion towards optometry.
yeah i asked this question before i submitted my app, i spoke with the schools i planned on applying to and ended up having over 60 hours by the time i applied