optometry personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
i am having trouble writing my personal statement for optometry.
can any post or email me any advise on what i could include that would make my personal statement stand out and hopefully give me a better chance of getting an offer from the university.
Or if anyone has already writen a personal statement on optometry and doesn't mind helping me out it would be most appreciated if u can pm or email me it.
any help most appreciated. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently having trouble writing my personal statements as well. However, I did find some good advice by doing a search on this forum for personal statements, so you might give that a try and read what others have said. Hope that helps some!

i have read most of the advise given. but still having trouble writing it.
can anyone give me any advise or send me a quick copy or if anyone is doing optometry and has any tips on any information that would look good on my personal statement. it would be most appreciated :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
shah said:
i have read most of the advise given. but still having trouble writing it.
can anyone give me any advise or send me a quick copy or if anyone is doing optometry and has any tips on any information that would look good on my personal statement. it would be most appreciated :thumbup:

My advice is to write about YOUR thoughts and feelings. I find it a little strange that students are asking for the personal statement of other people.

i am just asking for advise from other people for writing my personal statement. Im not going use someone else's statement. i only want to seek help.
If anyone can help on optometry ps please advise.

shah said:
hi,
can any post or email me any advise on what i could include that would make my personal statement stand out and hopefully give me a better chance of getting an offer from the university.
Or if anyone has already writen a personal statement on optometry and doesn't mind helping me out it would be most appreciated if u can pm or email me it.

If you go to the home page for the Student Doctor Network, in the upper left hand corner under "APPLICANTS" there is a link called "ESSAY WORKSHOP 101" Some of the information provided is geared more towards medical students that opt. students but they give some great advice on how to write to the audience reading your essay, how to make your statement stand out in a sea of many, and things to avoid. They also give some examples of excellent personal statements written for medical school that really helped me figure out where to start. I'm not sure if you have already looked there, but I would encourage you give it a try if not. Two pieces of important information they do mention are that not everybody had a "light bulb" moment when they realized they wanted to be a doctor, optometrist, etc. You didn't have to go to the optometrist and put contacts on for the first time and boom... know that you should be an optometrist. So, if you never had that moment... don't worry. They also mention that saying that your dad, uncle, grandfather, etc. were all optometrists so you should be too will not look good unless you can really demonstrate that you have genuine desire to follow in their footsteps. Just some things to think about. Best of luck to you! p.greeneyes :luck: :luck:

thnks.
help most appreciated.

any tips for writing personal statement for optometry? :thumbup: :cool:

If you're having trouble beginning, maybe you should just write down a biography kind of list. Put down all the activities you've done, jobs you've had, and any facts about yourself that make you special (and not just special for optometry). After you get your list together, see if there is a group from that list you could weave together to tell the story of you. A personal statement doesn't have to be something heart-wrenching or wildly exciting. For most people, it won't be. But what it does need to be is personal. Think of it as the first and last impression you want to leave. I like to think of it like brand-name recognition. What is shah all about? What will I get from the shah brand that I won't get from another optometry student brand? Is there a certain attribute about yourself that you want the admissions committees to remember? Is it your perserverance? Is it your dedication to public service? Is it overcoming adversity?
The best thing to do now is just to start. I had many many many first drafts and ended up taking bits and pieces from a few different essays to come up with my final personal statement.
A lot of people like to start with the strong "hook" method, but I figure they are going to get to at least the 2nd paragraph with every essay, so you don't need to hit 'em on the head with a 2x4. What you want to avoid is sounding formulaic (which many of my first drafts did) or insincere.
Just try to convey YOU, in 1000 words or less.
-p.dot

thanks for the advise mate. really appreciated. many thanks

keep up the gd wrk guys.
anyone got any more advise on optometry? :cool:

shah said:
keep up the gd wrk guys.
anyone got any more advise on optometry? :cool:

I've helped a lot of friends write their grad school essays. Not just for opto school, but law/pharm/med school/bschool/nursing too. So I've read my share and can imagine what it's like for the admissions committee to sift through so many.

Polkadot has it totally on the nose--make it PERSONAL. Make it read like a story. Don't be too analytical, because it's supposed to be a reflection of you and you don't want to sound dry! Get your reader to feel your enthusiasm for optometry. Use adjectives and action verbs when possible.

And most of all (and I can't stress this enough) keep it short and sweet! Even if the limit is 12000 characters, don't hit that limit!! Get to the point because it you're wordy, the reader will quickly get bored.

HTHs.

shah said:
hi,

Hey dude no one is going to email you jack!

Why don't you write your essay and then post it up on the board for all of us to read? The ability for you to ask such a question is just a joke unto itself.

Asking for ideas if fine, but asking for essays to be emailed is not what the admissions comittee asked for....unless you are planning on writing footnotes/references to you essay. i don't think the admissions comittee would take a favor to that.

go hard
or
go home

Members don't see this ad :)
ok.
i have managed to write my personal statement
just need help on one bit.
i worked at an opticans. and the optometrist was showing me how to use some equipment but i have forgoten the name. would any one know of any equipment that is used. and also would writing this in my personal statement be advisable or do i just write i worked at an opticans and observed how optometrists work? also do i write the name of the shop or just opticans?

any help appreciated :thumbup:

ucbsowarrior said:

Why don't you write your essay and then post it up on the board for all of us to read? The ability for you to ask such a question is just a joke unto itself.

Asking for ideas if fine, but asking for essays to be emailed is not what the admissions comittee asked for....unless you are planning on writing footnotes/references to you essay. i don't think the admissions comittee would take a favor to that.

go hard
or
go home

harsh, but true

as far as stating out.. the best thing to do is read what the school wants you to write. usually it's why you are interested in optometry. and usually, that shouldn't be too difficult to write, right? =)

i read through a friend's book on writing essays for medical school admissions. that helped me a lot on getting started on an introduction and how to make it personal.

after i had written the first one, i had many people read it. i got a lot of feedback and helpful hints. and i ended up re-writing it 2x!

anyhow. my advice is just keep writing and writing and revising and revising. and definitely have other people read it to critique.

ucbsowarrior said:

go hard
or
go home

ill stay hard.
and thanks for your advise it was really appreciated.

shah said:
ill stay hard.
and thanks for your advise it was really appreciated.

SHAH, sent me a private msg with the following contents:

i understand.
i was just asking for some advise and thought there might be people on this forum nice enough to let me see how they wrote n structured their personal statement on optometry.
so there is no need to be so bloody rude.
"go hard
or
go home"

----------------------

My adivce is if you can't take my abuse or comments you shouldn't even goto od school. There's going to be plenty more abuse and harsh / hard realities you'll need to face. We don't need another weakass od to join the profession. If you aren't a weakass, the suck it up :sleep:

We, here at the forum are still waiting for you to post your essay for us to review for new ideas.

Get real :thumbdown:

I don't think this forum is the place to weed out the weak from the strong.

ucbsowarrior,
why are u giving some much abuse and unhelpful advise in the first place.
if you dont have anything to say that will help me write my personal statement then dont post on this thread

shah said:
ucbsowarrior,
why are u giving some much abuse and unhelpful advise in the first place.
if you dont have anything to say that will help me write my personal statement then dont post on this thread

ucbsowarrior is dishing out a bit of tough love... but the fact remains... some may find it offensive that you asked for people to email you their statements... everyone spends an excruitiating number of hours writing a story of who they are and what motivates them... it is something personal... hence "personal" statement. Admissions committee are looking for the "shah" story... not the best compliation of stories from the many talented members of the Student Doctor Network Optometry Forum... I wish you the best of luck in writing your statement... a lot of people have given some great advice, I hope that you find some to inspire you.

i agree with this completely! :thumbup:

prettygreeneyes said:
ucbsowarrior is dishing out a bit of tough love... but the fact remains... some may find it offensive that you asked for people to email you their statements... everyone spends an excruitiating number of hours writing a story of who they are and what motivates them... it is something personal... hence "personal" statement. Admissions committee are looking for the "shah" story... not the best compliation of stories from the many talented members of the Student Doctor Network Optometry Forum... I wish you the best of luck in writing your statement... a lot of people have given some great advice, I hope that you find some to inspire you.

hi,

bump...good advice for all pre-opts!