Optometry interviews - studying abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkfloydd21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm going to be a senior in the fall, and I will be submitting my OD applications this summer on July 1st, 2017 (taking OAT August 7th). However, I will be studying abroad in London, England mid-September to the end of December. I was just wondering how this will work with receiving interviews. Do schools do Skype interviews, or will I have to fly to the school if I receive interviews? Just wondering how this all works or if any of you have had experiences with this. I'm kind of regretting my decision to study abroad at this point. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The schools I'm familiar with require you to show up to interview, since oftentimes it's a day-long event with other activities, not just an interview.

Your OAT date still gives you a full month to hear back from schools and schedule interviews if they do rolling admissions.

Hi everyone! I'm going to be a senior in the fall, and I will be submitting my OD applications this summer on July 1st, 2017 (taking OAT August 7th). However, I will be studying abroad in London, England mid-September to the end of December. I was just wondering how this will work with receiving interviews. Do schools do Skype interviews, or will I have to fly to the school if I receive interviews? Just wondering how this all works or if any of you have had experiences with this. I'm kind of regretting my decision to study abroad at this point. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Call the schools you want to apply to and ask them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternatively, have you considered taking a gap year? I studied abroad (in London!) and it was certainly a once in a lifetime experience, you don't want to have to give that up! I just decided to take a gap year (I would've applied this cycle) and at first the thought of a gap year was scary and honestly I felt embarrassed about it, but when you really consider the pros of a gap year I think it's a good option. In terms of your situation, that might give you the best of both worlds.

I did exactly the same thing.
Good GPA? Confident on getting in?

I'd call your top 2-3 schools NOW.
Tell them your situation and if Skype interview isn't an option, arrange to fly there and interview this summer, even though your application isn't complete.
I did a visit/interview in July, before taking the OAT.
After the interview, they said, "Get a decent OAT score and pass everything you next semester and you're in! We'll hold a spot for you pending a complete application"
It made my semester in Spain even more enjoyable knowing I was already accepted.