Opinions on taking blended retirement and doing reserves after..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usma05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
AD Army working on finishing ADSO, obligation up in 2022. Have the ability to decide on old vs new retirement system in 2018. Originally thought I'd do 20 and retire, but more likely to get out after ADSO after 13 years total. With the ability to have HPSP time count for reserves, considering doing additional 3 years to make a 20 year reserves retirement once out. Was curious since I had the choice, if taking the new system to get the match the remaining 4 years and then do reserves after would be worth it or should I chose the old system and then reserves retirement. A lot out there for how the blended retirement system affects an AD retirement, but not reserves (or if the transition from AD to reserves after 2018 will force me to take the new system once in the reserves). Anybody else looking into this?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought HPSP only counted for retirement years after you made your 20? Meaning that it didn't count towards the 20, but put you at 24 years after making your 20?

But my information is way old and memory poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought HPSP only counted for retirement years after you made your 20? Meaning that it didn't count towards the 20, but put you at 24 years after making your 20?

But my information is way old and memory poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not accurate for active duty retirement and HPSP. It is accurate for active duty retirement and USUHS. It is a common misconception.

As for Reserves, I haven't done enough reading of the appropriate documents to be able to speak with any certainty.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with backrow on this in that it isn't the same as USUHS, but I also have fully read up on it. At best you will get drill points for your HPSP time, but I don't think any HPSP year earns enough drill points to get a "good" year towards retirement with the reserve system.

I'm with backrow on this in that it isn't the same as USUHS, but I also have fully read up on it. At best you will get drill points for your HPSP time, but I don't think any HPSP year earns enough drill points to get a "good" year towards retirement with the reserve system.

A good year for reserve retirements is 50 points. Normally you get a certain number (I think 15) each year for breathing. If you did 6 weeks of ADT you may be good for that year. Those with more experience on the Reserve side would need to double check that though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

my wife is ETSing (technically REFRADing) in july and joining the reserves. the way it was explained to her is that each good year you earn in the reserves, will "activate" one of your HPSP years toward retirement. so-- get out of active duty at 12, serve 4 years in reserves, get 4 "bonus" HPSP years added on and you can go into the "reserved awaiting pay" gray zone until you hit 60 after serving 12 AD and 4 reserve years. I thought it was too good to be true but the guy swore this is the case and is why he's shocked more doctors don't do the reserves.

for active duty, HPSP doesn't count for squat. only USUHS gets the 4 year "bonus" if they hit 20.

--your friendly neighborhood 14 year plan caveman

I'd be interested if anyone has fleshed any more of this out. I'd be more likely to ADSO and get out on the old system rather than ADSO and get out changing to the new one if what Homunculus' experience is can be verified.

Can the newly accepted HPSP students be grandfathered into the old plan? or does this only apply to those already in active duty?

Someone else might be more familiar with this than I am, so someone correct me if I'm wrong....

Reserves and time works on a point system. You need a minimum of 50 points for a satisfactory year. With HPSP, you get 45 per year, and they limit it to that. Thus, they are not qualifying years no matter how you spin it. Each set of points is by fiscal year oct through sept.

Can the newly accepted HPSP students be grandfathered into the old plan? or does this only apply to those already in active duty?

anyone who joins active duty after 1 Jan 2018 is under the blended system. anyone prior who has less than 12 years can opt in. if you commission this spring you can keep the old one-- but I'd recommend anyone new using the blended system since you will get more if you don't serve 20. if you 100% plan on a military retirement, there would be an argument for staying on the cliff vested version.

Someone else might be more familiar with this than I am, so someone correct me if I'm wrong....

Reserves and time works on a point system. You need a minimum of 50 points for a satisfactory year. With HPSP, you get 45 per year, and they limit it to that. Thus, they are not qualifying years no matter how you spin it. Each set of points is by fiscal year oct through sept.

HPSP is 15 for being a member, plus a 45 day ADT. so that's 60 points.

more info
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/121507p.pdf
10 U.S. Code § 12732 - Entitlement to retired pay: computation of years of service

"HPS/FAP. Members of the Selected Reserve who satisfy the requirements of the HPS/FAP for active service pursuant to section 2126 of Reference (c) will be credited with 50 retirement points for each year of participation in a course of study. The points will be credited to the member at the end of each year after the completion of the course of study that the member serves in the Selected Reserve and is credited with at least 50 retirement points. The points will be recorded as having been earned in the year of the participation in the course of study. The award of service credit is limited to 4 years of participation in a course of study under the HSP/FAP. "

so it seems legit. if this is the case I don't know why more people don't do reserves. especially with a 2 year stabilization post leaving AD, you are really only "exposed" 2 years for a nice boost in retirement cheese at age 60. just to make sure though I'm getting some more info and as soon as I get it will get back to everyone.

--your friendly neighborhood this seems like the fellowship loophole thing caveman

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
hmmmm. appears I should follow my own advice and use the "search" function more... at least my sources are similar. :D

the DEFINITIVE "How to get credit for my HPSP years" thread from 7 years ago.

there's an attachment that mentions having to be a critical wartime specialty-- this was not mentioned by the reserves liaison that gave us the info above-- he said it was for any physician. nor is it mentioned in the DoD Service Credit for Non-Regular Retirement Directive. like I said, I'm getting more info and will get back to everyone.

--your friendly neighborhood digging for gold in the forum archives caveman

Last edited:
I was told it was only critical wartime specialties but that was broadly defined enough to include me somehow.

we're awaiting clarification but it might be one of those things where early on it was specific specialties and now they just need docs. the ARNG unit I might be interested in currently has 4 staff for 9 slots. if that's true across the NG/AR forces they may just need bodies.

--your friendly neighborhood more details to hopefully follow caveman

my wife is ETSing (technically REFRADing) in july and joining the reserves. the way it was explained to her is that each good year you earn in the reserves, will "activate" one of your HPSP years toward retirement. so-- get out of active duty at 12, serve 4 years in reserves, get 4 "bonus" HPSP years added on and you can go into the "reserved awaiting pay" gray zone until you hit 60 after serving 12 AD and 4 reserve years. I thought it was too good to be true but the guy swore this is the case and is why he's shocked more doctors don't do the reserves.

for active duty, HPSP doesn't count for squat. only USUHS gets the 4 year "bonus" if they hit 20.

--your friendly neighborhood 14 year plan caveman

Any idea how USUHS years transition to reserve retirement years?

This is not accurate for active duty retirement and HPSP. It is accurate for active duty retirement and USUHS. It is a common misconception.
Thanks for clarifying, backrow. I hate spreading bad info.

The convo steered an unexpected direction for me...I know this info is good for a reserves retirement. I have someone who's done it at my duty station and the way to do it is on another older thread mentioned above. The only thing I was wrong on was I had to do 4 instead of 3 years in order to activate my hpsp years (which were all 60 points with the auto 15 points and the one for one on ADTs), leaving me retiring at 21 instead of 20 years.

The only thing I'm not sure of is how the new retirement system affects the reserves retirement and if transitioning from active to the reserves after 2018 matters. If the reserve retirement isn't affected by the blended system, I'd hate to miss out on the match with the blended system. Anybody know?

The convo steered an unexpected direction for me...I know this info is good for a reserves retirement. I have someone who's done it at my duty station and the way to do it is on another older thread mentioned above. The only thing I was wrong on was I had to do 4 instead of 3 years in order to activate my hpsp years (which were all 60 points with the auto 15 points and the one for one on ADTs), leaving me retiring at 21 instead of 20 years.

The only thing I'm not sure of is how the new retirement system affects the reserves retirement and if transitioning from active to the reserves after 2018 matters. If the reserve retirement isn't affected by the blended system, I'd hate to miss out on the match with the blended system. Anybody know?

it's based off your initial entry. the reserves retirement changed along with active duty. I asked about this specifically at a blended retirement brief since I would be transitioning in 2018. I was told specifically if you are on AD under the cliff vested plan, you will remain on that plan through the transition to the reserves/guard. if you want to change to the blended system you can do that at any time you want (sooner would obviously be better) but once you've moved to blended you can't go back.

--your friendly neighborhood keeping his old school retirement plan caveman

Any idea how USUHS years transition to reserve retirement years?

excellent question. I assume they only are for active duty years for active duty retirement at 20. I don't think they have the same reserve component ability since they aren't reserve years-- which is why HPSP (technically in reserves while in med school) can squeak by with this year for year activation thing. a good resource would be someone at USUHS, not sure if they've had this question asked before...

--your friendly neighborhood can't hurt to ask caveman

it's based off your initial entry. the reserves retirement changed along with active duty. I asked about this specifically at a blended retirement brief since I would be transitioning in 2018. I was told specifically if you are on AD under the cliff vested plan, you will remain on that plan through the transition to the reserves/guard. if you want to change to the blended system you can do that at any time you want (sooner would obviously be better) but once you've moved to blended you can't go back.

--your friendly neighborhood keeping his old school retirement plan caveman

Thanks!