Opinions on my stats? SMP or Post Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfdoctor96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm currently a junior in college and unfortunately my science gpa and overall gpa are too low to apply to medical school straightaway so I have been considering applying to a post bacc or SMP as a gap year after graduation. Can I get some opinions on whether I should do a SMP or post bacc program and what programs might be suitable?
Overall GPA: 3.45
Science GPA: 2.7(by the end of this semester it should go up to 2.85 or 2.9)
During my senior year of college I will take another 21 credits of science classes and hopefully will do well in these so my science gpa will hopefully be around a 3.0 by the time I apply to post-baccs or SMPs
I will have taken all of my pre-requisite courses but I have not taken the MCAT yet.
SAT: 2170
ACT:34
Research- By application time I will have:
Worked as a research assistant in a clinical research lab for one and a half years. As of right now I have co-authored three abstracts and this will likely increase to four, possibly five, abstracts by the time I apply. My work as a research assistant includes collecting and analyzing patient data, consenting patients, and assisting in writing abstracts.
Shadowing-
I have shadowed about 15-8 hours in an ER.
I have shadowed my PI(she works in the pediatric neurology department) about 10-15 hours.
I have shadowed for about 50-60 hours while studying abroad in China. Those hours were split equally between a children's hospital, an ob/gyn hospital, and two traditional chinese medicine clinics.
Volunteer work- By application time I will have:
Mentored a young girl in the area for 3 1/2 years
Taught local high school students about HIV/AIDS for 1 1/2 years
Been on the fundraising committee for a club that raises money to fund surgeries for orphans in Beijing for 1 1/2 years.
Been on the executive board for my college's Doctor's Without Borders chapter for 1 year. Activities include fundraising money for Doctor's Without Borders, raising awareness of Doctors Without Borders missions and projects across the world and helping to garner interest among college students in working with Doctors Without Borders

Thank you so much for any opinions on my situation :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I wasn't clear! I was asking for thoughts on what people think my chances of getting in to a post bacc program is like UCSF, WashU, etc