Opinions on my schedule with taking Biochemistry vs Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malikhind

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I saw the thread about taking biochemistry vs physiology that was posted earlier and most people said physiology. Next semester, I was fortunate enough to be able to get a schedule with class only on Tuesday and Thursday, giving me a ton of time to study for the DAT which I plan to take during winter break. I plan to take biochemistry, genetics, a literature class, and orgo lab/intro bio lab.

The predicament I ran into after reading the thread and wanting to switch to physiology is that the class that replaces my biochemistry class (same time Tuesday and Thursday) is full and most likely will not open up. The only other physiology classes are MWF which would ruin my 2 day semester.

Biochemistry 1/2 are only offered fall/spring respectively, so if I do not take biochemistry next semester I will have to wait a whole year, however physiology seems to be more helpful for the DAT. But if I don't get into the Tuesday/Thursday class, it will ruin my 2 day schedule.

I really don't know what to do. Any advice will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you are planning on taking the exam during the winter break, that means you will have about 4 months to prepare for the exam. At this point, I think you have more than enough time to use the right preparation materials that will teach you all the physiology and biochemistry you might see on the DAT. If I were you, I would take biochemistry since it fits well into your schedule. BTW I took both courses this semester (got As in both) and took my DAT April 3rd, got 23AA, 25TS. Did I really need a physiology course or a biochemistry class to get this score? Definitely not. Invest in the right prep material and you'll be good for the exam.

Reactions: 2 users
While I definitely agree physiology is preferable to biochemistry when it comes to DAT preparation, you don't really need to take a course in either to do well on the DAT if you use the right preparation material that covers the content in enough depth. If you study well enough on your own, you can absolutely learn sufficient physiology to do well on the DAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I owe probably 5-8 answers on the bio section to my physiology class. I can't imagine looking up youtube videos or having to teach myself physiology. Maybe I just had an incredible professor, but in my opinion, there's no way Cliffs or some notes would have me feeling relaxed when those questions popped up. Take the course, and teach yourself the lower yield subjects