Ophthy rotation at Mayo- Competitiveness + Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

het het

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am wondering if anyone here has done an away rotation at Mayo (Rochester) or would have some insight about the rotation?

Specifically
1) How competitive is it to get an away rotation here in the months of June-September? Do they typically only take students that they consider potential residency candidates or do they take pretty much anyone?
3) How was your experience here? What did you like/not like etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ophthy? Someone is from Michigan ;)

I only hear great things about Mayo. Not sure if there's competition for aways. The aways I didn't get were due to filling spots quickly. Don't procrastinate with the applications.

Hello guys,

I am wondering if anyone here has done an away rotation at Mayo (Rochester) or would have some insight about the rotation?

Specifically
1) How competitive is it to get an away rotation here in the months of June-September? Do they typically only take students that they consider potential residency candidates or do they take pretty much anyone?
3) How was your experience here? What did you like/not like etc?

Last edited:
I did a rotation here last June.

I thought it was a good rotation but you will pretty much just be shadowing. I think there are better places if you actually want to see your own patients and have a real ophtho experience. The faculty are really nice. It will be a little tough to get a strong letter because you are with a lot of different attendings and never really get a good connection with any of then.

Rochester is really boring though. That was probably the hardest part about being there for a month.

I also did a rotation at meei and I thought it was a much better rotation. I got to do so much more there and it was a lot of fun.