Ophthalmology Residency Program Compendium - Table of Contents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any info...

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the retina fellowship did not fill this year. Is this true? The place seems to have some issues.

The retina fellowship is not listed as being unfilled on the SF Match site.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I believe the source of this info was reliable. You may want to check with someone connected to the program. Please PM me or post it if this can be corroborated.

Jules Stein will have 2 first year retina fellows come July 2007. I know both of them quite well.

This thread is a tremendous resource. I'd hope that we can keep it updated, and add programs that we see on the trail/rotate with.

Cheers, and good luck.

Hey everybody - feeback on UF
Pros
1. most plastic procedures in the nation (so we are told, but I believe it)
-our VA rotation has a plastic procedure 4/5 days of the week and the first years are the ones who do them all, I have already done 20 blepheroplasties, 4-5 tarsal strips and 2-3 direct brows by myself
-we even have the occaisional Saturday plastics work shop to hone our skills with the ocuplastics faculty
2. VA rotation
-we get all of our cataracts from here, as a first year we get two ECCE c IOL
- as a second year 40-60 phacos
- as a third year between the two VA's anywhere between 150-200 additional phacos, by graduation 200-300 phacos as the primary surgeon and believe me they let you do the majority of the case. Even when in trouble, they teach you how to get out of it
- the first years do all the lasers, procedures etc
3. Lots of rupture globes
4. Plenty of pathology
5. Residents score tops in OKAPs
6. Urgent Care rotation - for the first years, we take all emergencies, walk ins etc and your are basically autonomous except in very difficult cases

Cons - source of big frustration for me personally
1. Large efflux of faculty, loss of neuro ophth, cornea, peds and glaucoma faculty in the past 2 years - so far only 2 replacements
2. New program director (actually a pro as well because so far she rocks)
3. Very poor exposure to orbital plastics or more advanced plastics procedures. A single plastics faculty, who is friends with the chairman who seems to be very protective of his "turf" and might be protesting the hire of a new faculty
4. Very poor back up - have felt stranded (a sentiment that all of the residents have expressed) on more than one occasion. When this concern was presented to senior faculty/chairman - residents did not fell that problem was delt with sufficiently. No faculty backup for inpatient consults (this might be a problem with all institutions as far as I know).

Bottom Line
- you graduate as a tremendous general ophthalmologist with surgical skill that rivals that of a private practice ophthalmologist who has been practicing for years
- poor back up/autonomy, frustrating in the beginning, but rewarding later

As far as the town goes, is on the small side, definitely a small town feel. Housing prices not any cheaper than a big city. But we are the Gators so that is a big plus.

Hope this helps everyone this year. I wish I had this kind of information when I was trying to match.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard good things about the University of Minnesota's program- does anyone have any personal experience from there/something they've heard that they can share?

I spoke with Dr. Egbert of Stanford previously about U of Minn...he had nothing but the best things to say of his training there. Said the surgical numbers were incredible, he loved all the attendings, and the pathology he saw there certainly was surprisingly untouched anywhere else...

he tried to get me to apply there

all in all, rave reviews from him...and he did two fellowships (peds and oculoplastics) so obviously he was a competitive resident as a result of the program

I dont have any personal information to add, other than good word of mouth around my school about the place (a guy who matched at Emory from my school put U of Minnesota RIGHT BEHIND it (top 3 choice and he had like 15 interviews))

does anybody have good info on MCW or penn state? Thanks!

Any thoughts on these two programs?

Thanks!

I saw this on another thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=410273

We should set up something like this for ophtho residencies. My guess is that an SDN administrator like Andrew Doan would need to get involved to set this up and make it a sticky. I would be more than happy to contribute what I have learned from the interview process.

What do you guys think? Lets do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Now this is a great idea!

I wish I knew how to set this up, but it looks like an SDN moderator may have done it. I'm not on the interview trail yet, so I coudn't contribute much anyway, but this type of format would be useful to ophthalmology applicants for years to come!

I tried posting this elsewhere, but no luck. thought i'd try this thread. can anyone tell me anything about davis, duke, and/or utah?? i need to cancel one, but i dont know enough about any of them to make a call. quality of program? reputation? happy residents? lifestyle, location, etc? pls share your thoughts. very much appreciated.

Hi, great thread, thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge.

Does anyone have any input on the Univ of Mississippi Med Ctr in Jackson, MS? Including, but not limited to, surgical volume, patient population makeup, what call is like there, resident satisfaction, etc.

Thanks in advance!

so i only have a tiny bit of input - i met a guy training at howard - he was really happy with his training and with his quality of life.
sorry i know that's like nothing

i'm really posting for selfish reasons: i want to know what people think of umdnj vs vanderbilt

i know umdnj has great training but i want to know how it stacks up to vanderbilt - ie i have to choose between them for interview and dont know which to pick

I saw this on another thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=410273

We should set up something like this for ophtho residencies. My guess is that an SDN administrator like Andrew Doan would need to get involved to set this up and make it a sticky. I would be more than happy to contribute what I have learned from the interview process.

What do you guys think? Lets do it!

We can do something like this. I'll work on this for this forum.

Use the links below to read and provide comments about specific ophthalmology residency programs.

Table of Contents

Alabama
University of Alabama Medical Center

Arizona
University of Arizona

Arkansas
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences

California
California Pacific Medical Center
Loma Linda University
Naval Medical Center (San Diego) Program
Stanford University
UCLA Medical Center
University of California (Davis) Health System
University of California (Irvine)
University of California (San Diego)
University of California (San Francisco)
University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center

Colorado
University of Colorado

Connecticut
Yale-New Haven Medical Center

District of Columbia
George Washington University
Georgetown University Hospital/Washington Hospital Center
Howard University
National Capital Consortium (Walter Reed)

Florida
Jackson Memorial Hospital/Jackson Health System (Bascom Palmer)
University of Florida
University of South Florida

Georgia
Emory University
Medical College of Georgia

Illinois
Cook County Hospital
Loyola University
McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
Rush University Medical Center
University of Chicago
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago

Indiana
Indiana University School of Medicine

Iowa
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics

Kansas
University of Kansas Medical Center

Kentucky
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
University of Louisville

Louisiana
Louisiana State University (Shreveport)
Louisiana State University/Alton Ochsner Medical Foundation
Tulane University

Maryland
Johns Hopkins University/Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
Maryland General Hospital
Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
University of Maryland

Massachusetts
Boston University Medical Center
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
Tufts-New England Medical Center

Michigan
Henry Ford Hospital
University of Michigan
Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center
William Beaumont Hospital

Minnesota
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education (Rochester)
University of Minnesota

Mississippi
University of Mississippi Medical Center

Missouri
St Louis University School of Medicine
University of Missouri at Kansas City
University of Missouri-Columbia
Washington University/B-JH/SLCH Consortium

Nebraska
University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine

New Jersey
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School

New York
Albany Medical Center
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Nassau University Medical Center
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary
New York Medical College (Brooklyn-Queens)
New York Medical College at St Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center of New York
New York Medical College at Westchester
New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus)
New York Presbyterian Hospital (Cornell Campus)
New York University School of Medicine
NSLIJHS Program
St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center
SUNY at Stony Brook
SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn
SUNY Upstate Medical University
University at Buffalo
University of Rochester

North Carolina
Duke University Hospital
University of North Carolina Hospitals
Wake Forest University School of Medicine

Ohio
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Ohio State University Hospital
Summa Health System/NEOUCOM
University Hospital/University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University Hospitals Case Medical Center

Oklahoma
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center

Oregon
Oregon Health & Science University

Pennsylvania
Drexel University College of Medicine/Hahnemann University Hospital
Geisinger Health System
Penn State University/Milton S Hershey Medical Center
Temple University Hospital
Thomas Jefferson University/Wills Eye Institute
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Medical Education

Puerto Rico
University of Puerto Rico

Rhode Island
Brown University

South Carolina
Medical University of South Carolina
Palmetto Health/University of South Carolina School of Medicine

Tennessee
University of Tennessee
Vanderbilt University

Texas
Baylor College of Medicine
San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium
Texas A&M College of Medicine-Scott and White
Texas Tech University (Lubbock)
University of Texas at Houston
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
University of Texas Medical Branch Hospitals
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School

Utah
University of Utah

Virginia
Eastern Virginia Medical School
University of Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth University Health System

Washington
Madigan Army Medical Center
University of Washington

West Virginia
West Virginia University

Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals
University of Wisconsin

Finished!

I went through this thread and placed quoted responses in their appropriate ophthalmology residency program threads. This seems to work nicely and will allow people to add comments and reviews about programs, as well as looking up information about programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any information regarding this program?

The link to vandy program is empty.

Can I kindly ask for some feedback/comments about the program? Thanks.

I've heard good things about this program... Would appreciate comments.

Again, the link to the school had no comments. Thanks.

Hey guys - I'm looking for some info on the UNC program. Has anyone interviewed there or does anyone have any opinions on this program? I would really appreciate the help!

Is there a residency program in Hawaii? where can I review all the program options in the USA? I´m an international medical student and intend to apply next year, I would like to review the options, but it seems a bit hard to find an organized list. I see here is a list posted, are those all the programs?? are they all subject to the SFMatch? I would appreciate your advice.
Thank you very much,
Andrea

I agree! University of Illinois ophto was once among very good programs, ranking 13-21 between 2003-2008. Not anymore! Things have changed a lot. Still, good in research though! but it is more of a pure basic science research, residents need more than that!

Hi everyone! Can anyone comment on Rutgers versus Downstate and Bronx Lebanon versus Jamaica-NYMC? TIA!! Happy holidays!