Ophthalmology Residency - preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boanssi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings. I've recently matched into an ophthalmology program but have a few months left before I actually start it. I know there are similar threads to this one but most were outdated or only focused on literature. So I would like to ask for your opinion on the following topics:

- Books for pre-residency and during residency.
- Ophthalmology websites and Youtube channels.
- Ophthalmic instruments: should I invest money on any?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings. I've recently matched into an ophthalmology program but have a few months left before I actually start it. I know there are similar threads to this one but most were outdated or only focused on literature. So I would like to ask for your opinion on the following topics:

- Books for pre-residency and during residency.
- Ophthalmology websites and Youtube channels.
- Ophthalmic instruments: should I invest money on any?

Thank you in advance.
Congrats on matching! These are what I found most helpful first year.
The Wills eye manual is very helpful to start and while on call.
The Iowa Eyerounds.org is a great website for information as well as videos, many surgical procedures are on there which are helpful to watch prior to seeing/doing it in the OR. Gonioscopy.org is great for learning gonio.
Obviously lenses including gonio. I also got a punctal dilator/probe kit that I find extremely helpful on call. (depends if your program has these tools readily available and how much trauma you see).

See if your program will reimburse some or all of the cost of your lenses (20D, 90D, maybe a gonio lens but I never bothered). If not, go ahead and get them anyway. Programs vary in what they provide but they should have all the necessary equipment you need during call and while at clinic. Don't waste any of your money right now on it.

I found Dr. Tim Root's website (The free online ophthalmology book! - TimRoot.com) a great resource as a M4 and an intern. After you get acquainted to that, websites like the Iowa eye rounds and the Wills Eye Manual help, but the latter is very dry and tough to read. Good books that aren't as dry include Kanski and the Handbook of Clinical Ophthalmology. Other than that, enjoy your free time before you start ophthalmology, this is the last period of time you'll have to be guilt free from reading up and studying ophthalmology. Even after you're done with residency, the reading never ends.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to shameless offer my own website for you to check out. www.eyeguru.org It's got some articles and blogs for beginning residents in your situation.

For videos there's eyetube.net and also just youtube.
The AAO's eyewiki is also good to search something quick if you don't have your Wills accessible

Thank you very much for your guidance and general tips :) Everyone is still welcome to chip in!

This should help with regards to what books to buy, cost, and why each one of them fills a unique niche.

https://millennialeye.com/online-exclusives/seven-must-have-books-for-the-beginning-ophthalmologist/

Hey there, so I think you need to be a little more transparent when linking to this article.

You are the co-author of this article, which lists the #2 "must-have book for an incoming ophthalmologist" as the book which you are the lead editor. Also listed under this book is that the Amazon rating is 5/5 stars, but fail to mention that the only two reviews on the book are from yourself and the co-author of your linked article.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there, so I think you need to be a little more transparent when linking to this article.

You are the co-author of this article, which lists the #2 "must-have book for an incoming ophthalmologist" as the book which you are the lead editor. Also listed under this book is that the Amazon rating is 5/5 stars, but fail to mention that the only two reviews on the book are from yourself and the co-author of your linked article.

That is stated at the end of the article and all conflicts of interest as well. I'd also like to point out that the article was written to help residents figure out what books may help them in their journey by using the books we use in our program; and in writing my book it was solely intended to help residents with dictations, which has been an area lacking in many programs. Should you not find it useful no need to look further. Hope everyone has a nice Sunday!

Last edited: