USMLE/COMLEX Ophthalmology Mnemonics! Announcing Mnemonics in Ophthalmology Book and MP3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
****** After March 18, 2011 - FIND UPDATED INFO AT - http://www.ApolloAudiobooks.com ******

Mnemonics in Ophthalmology - Released

Apollo Audiobooks, LLC happy to announce the release of Mnemonics in Ophthalmology Audio MP3 for play on your iPod, MP3 player or computer. Mnemonics in Ophthalmology Audio MP3 is perfect for the busy ophthalmology resident who needs to "study on the go."

Adding audio books to your studying armamentarium will literally give you hours of additional time - you didn`t even know you had!

The OKAP and Ophthalmology Board Exams are coming up!
You know you should be studying, but you really.......

Want to go to the gym.....
-----With Mnemonics in Ophthalmology Audio MP3 you have the time!
Have to walk the dog......
Need to drive to Houston to see your parents.....
Just want to lie around on the beach for a couple of hours......
Want to drive to Hunter Mountain for a ski weekend.....

You get the idea! Ophthalmology Audio from Apollo Audiobooks gives you more time to do what you want - because you can study on the go!

APOLLO AUDIOBOOKS means "MD Quality Audio"

At Apollo Audiobooks we produce the highest quality Ophthalmology Audio you can find on the web. Our healthcare review audio MP3 programs are professionally produced and edited and READ BY A REAL PHYSICIAN! At Apollo, we don`t use "actors" or "voice talent" for our audio books. Instead an experienced physician performs each program with clinical insight and correct pronunciations, to boot!

About the Mnemonics in Ophthalmology Audiobook

This popular Ophthalmology text has served as a great review resource for ophthalmology residents studying for the OKAP exam for years. It is an awesome resource for both ophthalmology residents and practicing physicians studying for ophthalmology board exams. This Mnemonics in Ophthalmology Audio MP3 presents over 440 ophthalmology specific mnemonics! With the Mnemonics in Ophthalmology Audio program, you will have the keys to OKAP and Ophthalmology Board Exam Success!

Find out more at:

www.ApolloAudiobooks.com

Wishing Everybody OKAP Success!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Mnemonics in Ophthalmology Printed Textbook

Mnemonics in Ophthalmology is an AMAZING COLLECTION OF OVER 440 OPHTHALMOLOGY MNEMONICS! More than 220 of the ophthalmology mnemonics are completely original and available only in this book.

OTHER KEY FEATURES: dozens of fun and memorable original illustrations; a comprehensive index; and available in MP3 AUDIO for MP3 player or iPod.

A "MUST HAVE" FOR EVERY OPHTHALMOLOGY RESIDENT. Mnemonics in Ophthalmology (published as notes for years by Dr. Ing) has helped tons of ophthalmology residents with their OKAP exams and ophthalmology board exams and rotations. Whether looking for answers on rounds or on ophthalmology exams, Mnemonics in Ophthalmology is here to help.

OPHTHALMOLOGY SPECIALTY SECTIONS: Retina, Strabismus, Pediatrics, Uveitis, Neuro-Ophthalmology, Oculoplastics, and MANY MORE...

FOR THE OPHTHALMOLOGY BOARD EXAMS - see the "Suggestions for Multiple Choice and Oral Exams" sections.

Take the MP3 AUDIO version with you and - STUDY ON-THE-GO!

FIND MORE Ophthalmology Multimedia Reviews and Books at
www.ApolloAudiobooks.com

Wishing you OKAP Success!

Last edited:
Mnemonics in Ophthalmology Audio Book MP3

As an ophthalmologist - I really wish this ophthalmology audio book was available when I was a resident. Well, it wasn't so I made it happen!

FINALLY, an Ophthalmology Board Review in digital audio!

Mnemonics in Ophthalmology MP3 Audio is a complete, unabridged audio book of this popular ophthalmology review book that has literally helped hundreds of ophthalmology residents and practicing physicians pass their ophthalmology board exams.

THIS AUDIO BOOK CONTAINS OVER 440 MNEMONICS specific to the field of ophthalmology and covers the subspecialties of ophthalmology important on OKAP and Oral & Written Ophthalmology Board Exams. Areas include: Optics, Oculoplastics, Glaucoma, Retina, Strabismus and many more.

FILE STATS: These MP3 files for your iPod, MP3 player, or computer total 397 MB and contain both Regular Speed (9.2 hr) and 150% Fast Speed(5.9 hr) versions of this AUDIO Review. Because the files are LARGE, use only high-speed modem, and it may take 30 minutes or longer to download each file.

FIND MORE Ophthalmology Multimedia Reviews and Books at
www.ApolloAudiobooks.com

Wishing you OKAP Success!

Last edited:
Introduction - Mnemonics in Ophthalmology, an OKAP Review Textbook and MP3 Audiobook

Mnemonics in Ophthalmology - Introduction from the Author

The more you read, the more you learn.
The more you learn, the more you forget.
The more you forget, the less you know.
So why study?
Origin unknown

Mnemonics are no substitute for logic and clinical experience. However they are stepping stones to initiate thought, and reminders of things we might otherwise overlook.

This book should benefit ophthalmology residents, ophthalmic practitioners, and those involved in medical education. The mnemonics are based on letter associations, word associations, rhymes, and visual imagery techniques. Some of the mnemonics deal with core ophthalmic knowledge. Others are directed at the "ophthalmic trivia" we encounter at rounds or on exams. Where possible I have endeavored to make the mnemonic stem relate to the diagnosis. For example, the differential for "salt and pepper" retinopathy incorporates the word "COOKS."

Most of these mnemonics are of my own invention. I have attempted to obtain written permission and give appropriate credit to the mnemonics which are not my own. Several popular mnemonics that are ubiquitous and simply passed down from resident to resident are referenced as "Mnemonic origin unknown."

I hope these mnemonics will accelerate your office practice and add breadth to your differential diagnosis lists. For those in training, the memory techniques may afford you more free time, better sleep before exams, and less squirming during rounds. Perhaps it will also benefit individuals like me who will have to recertify for board exams each decade. Many areas remain uncovered in this short text. As I become more immersed in my subspecialties it becomes difficult to maintain the mnemonics in the other subspecialties. I will try to update the book regularly, and I do appreciate any comments, mnemonics contributions, or corrections.

Edsel Ing, 2009
Author, Mnemonics in Ophthalmology, 4th Edition

Learn More at ApolloCME.com

Wishing You Great Success on the OKAP Exam in April!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
USING MNEMONICS IN OPHTHALMOLOGY - to Study for the OKAP Exams in April

Mnemonics in Ophthalmology, 4th Edition

Let's begin with some quick points on how to use mnemonics in your ophthalmology practice and on ophthalmology exams.

1) Mnemonics are no substitute for common sense. Comprehension should always accompany memorization. When giving a differential diagnosis, state the most likely answer first. THEN use the mnemonic to fill in the gaps.

2) No book can provide a mnemonic for everything. However the examples in this text demonstrate the different types of mnemonics that can be employed in ophthalmology. Since we each organize information uniquely, some of the best mnemonics will be self-contrived. A mixture of "right brain and left brain" techniques is helpful. Endeavor to make the stem word relate to the actual diagnosis, since this will enhance long-term retention. An ideal mnemonic will incorporate more than one of the following techniques: letter association, word association, rhyme, or visual imagery.

Further references for the interested reader include:

i) Patten BM, "The history of memory arts," Neurology: 1990:40; pp. 346-352.

ii) von Oech R, A Whack on the Side of the Head, 25th Anv Rev Ed. Business Plus Pubs, 2008.

iii) Lorayne H, Lucas J, The Memory Book. Ballantine Books, 2000.

3) When faced with a difficult problem interface logic with mnemonics. It is often useful to approach such problems from a patho-anatomic perspective asking "Where the lesion is, and what the lesion is?" Let`s take the example of unexplained visual loss. The problem may be anywhere from the refractive correction, to the tear film, to the occipital lobe, or be supratentorial. Write down each of these "anatomic" areas in a vertical column at the left hand of the page. Each anatomic area can be affected by various diseases, which you then list in a horizontal row at the top of the page. Then fill in the blanks of your table. The mnemonic I use for a general DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS IN OPHTHALMOLOGY is:

Mnemonics in Ophthalmology - TABLE OF CONTENTS

• Using Mnemonics in Ophthalmology
  • Optics
  • Anterior Segment
  • Uveitis
  • Orbit & Oculoplastics
  • Neuro-ophthalmology
  • Glaucoma
  • Retina
  • Strabismus
  • Pediatrics
  • Pathology
  • Miscellaneous
  • Suggestions for Multiple-Choice Exams
  • Suggestions for Oral Exams
  • Index

For more information see ApolloCME.com

Wishing Everybody OKAP and Ophthalmology Board Exam SUCCESS!

Last edited:
Using the Ophthalmology Mnemonics Discussion Forum

1. Feel free to discuss any of the Review Programs found at ApolloAudiobooks.com or discussed in this forum thread.

2. Have you used any of the review programs listed on the Apollo site? Leave your feedback! Tell us, other students, and the rest of the world what you thought.

3. RAFFLE: The USMLE Audio raffle prizes are discussed at the top of this thread. Check out these SDN forum threads to learn more about the raffle prizes: The USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package & The USMLE Step 2 Total Audio Package.

4. At this SDN forum thread you can See the Full Terms and Conditions regarding Email Subscriber Pricing, 2 Free Audio Downloads per month, and other disclaimers.

5. Most of all, Join the Apollo Email List!

At ApolloAudiobooks.com our opt-in email subscribers get some of the best benefits on the web! These include:
  • NEW! 40% OFF USMLE "Total Audio Packages"
  • NEW! 40% OFF USMLEHelp audio as a part of the "Total Audio Packages"
  • 40% OFF Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews
  • 2 FREE USMLE Audio Downloads Per Month
  • Periodic Discount Codes for an Additional 10% to 25% OFF
  • Product Updates and Notifications
  • And More...