Ophthalmology and local anaesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boanssi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any ophthalmology procedure in which local anaesthesia (é.g lidocaine) is injected, as is the case with general surgery (é.g. wound suturing) ?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, almost all of them use some form of local anesthesia. All of the lid procedures. 99.9% of cataract cases. Many use it in strabismus cases. List is too long to write.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks for the reply.

But...in the vast majority of cases the lidocaine is applied by eyedrops, isn't it? In the cases where an injection is done, who does it ? Is it the anaesthesiologist or the ophthalmologist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply.

But...in the vast majority of cases the lidocaine is applied by eyedrops, isn't it? In the cases where an injection is done, who does it ? Is it the anaesthesiologist or the ophthalmologist?

No, it is given by injection as well. The surgeon does it. Even in cases where retrobulbar blocks are performed the surgeon does it, although my understanding is that anesthesiologists used to do them as well the technique has fallen out of teaching in most anesthesia training programs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
In agreement with backrow. Additionally, depending on locale, outpatient surgery centers typically have the anesthesiologist perform the block.

In agreement with backrow. Additionally, depending on locale, outpatient surgery centers typically have the anesthesiologist perform the block.

Our nurse anesthetist does them for us.