Open senior OMFS position: University at Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surger2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Program at the University at Buffalo has a 5th year position out of a six-year training program available. This position is sponsored by the School of Dental Medicine and conducted jointly with the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, and three University-affiliated hospitals (Erie County Medical Center, Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital, and Veterans Administration Medical Center ).

Clinical experience includes rotations on Anesthesia, Medicine, General Surgery, Pediatrics, and other required and elective experiences. The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Service admits approximately 450 patients per year, with particular strengths in trauma and dentoalveolar surgery. There are approximately 7,300 outpatient visits to the service each year.

For more information please contact:
Ms. Nadine Carvelli
Residency Training Program Administrator
Show Contact Details
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please note, the 5th year position is available for the 2017-2018 year starting July.

All applicants must be eligible to transfer from an accredited 4 or 6 year Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery training program.

All applicants must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.

Last edited:
Please note, the 5th year position is available for the 2017-2018 year starting July.

All applicants must be eligible to transfer from an accredited 4 or 6 year Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery training program.

All applicants must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
Why is this position open?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Either someone dropped out, was kicked out, transferred or died. I would bet he/she was either kicked out or forced to drop out by demanding the resident accept unacceptable terms such as having to repeat years of residency and/or rotations as a form of remediation in order to stay in the program. But I'm totally guessing. My guess is based on hanging out with two other prior OS residents who were essentially forced into dropping out from their programs.

I think you'd have to be a fool to switch programs in the middle of your 5th year at some other 6 year program. Especially if the last person was forced out. If they forced the resident out, I really hope it was worth it to them.

Give respect to your local OS's. They go through unbelievably humbling circumstances in their residencies. Just graduating at all makes them totally amazing in my eyes. As cocky as you may think they are, trust me, they ate humble pie for years and deserve to swing the pendulum a little too far the other way when they get out.

Reactions: 7 users
A couple of my OS buddies were forced to drop out before in different programs... I feel really bad because they did all kinds of crazy extracurricular activities, studied really hard, had a high class rank, and got a great nbme score. They are great people. I think that their relationship with faculties did not work out well..

I feel really bad about their journey to become a certified exodontist with Iv sedation training and poor soft tissue management training.. maybe its their training that made their personality so aggressive

I am not even sure if it is even worth it to even transfer to a program that just lost a resident who is 5 years out and about to be a chief. But this is just my 2 cents...

Either someone dropped out, was kicked out, transferred or died. I would bet he/she was either kicked out or forced to drop out by demanding the resident accept unacceptable terms such as having to repeat years of residency and/or rotations as a form of remediation in order to stay in the program. But I'm totally guessing. My guess is based on hanging out with two other prior OS residents who were essentially forced into dropping out from their programs.

I think you'd have to be a fool to switch programs in the middle of your 5th year at some other 6 year program. Especially if the last person was forced out. If they forced the resident out, I really hope it was worth it to them.

Give respect to your local OS's. They go through unbelievably humbling circumstances in their residencies. Just graduating at all makes them totally amazing in my eyes. As cocky as you may think they are, trust me, they ate humble pie for years and deserve to swing the pendulum a little too far the other way when they get out.

Reactions: 1 user
"Give respect to your local OS's. They go through unbelievably humbling circumstances in their residencies. Just graduating at all makes them totally amazing in my eyes. As cocky as you may think they are, trust me, they ate humble pie for years and deserve to swing the pendulum a little too far the other way when they get out."

You get it.

I'm guessing SUNY Buffalo will make the "red flag" list for next year?

I'm guessing SUNY Buffalo will make the "red flag" list for next year?

There were murmurs of this even this year.
EXACTLY what I was thinking.

I heard that the person in the position in question transferred to another program out of choice, not that he was forced out. Granted this is third hand.

Update on the program:

The program is in big trouble and could lose accreditation if things doesn't change.

The Program director was demoted to an assistant professor for whole bunch of reasons. They couldn't get him fired because the wife is the Associate Dean and he is best friends with chairmen----

The Program Chairmen was demoted to program director: He doesn't operate...The residents does all the planning and extractions. Do NOT expect him to guide you on any surgery. If tooth is not coming out, make the hole bigger..sooner or later it will come out.

Two FACULTY left the program last year for another program. Both are in the same place. Etern Park DDS, MD. Barry Boyd DDS, MD. The program has only total 2 full-time faculty--

The individuals are not allowed to work in couple of hospitals because of liability issues for various reasons.

3 residents will be leaving the program in June of this year. 1st year, 4th year and 5th year guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
From what I've heard, the resident has transferred to a four year program in the Midwest.

As applicants, you judge a program's strengths by the number and diversity of OR caseloads which are dependent on the program's roster of attendings. However, it is common for programs to undergo change. Vertical faculty advancement is often only achievable by taking a position at another program. Some programs have attendings who have worked there for decades. It is these programs that you can assume to be stable and safely gamble to rank these programs highly and assume that it will remain strong when you become chief. Otherwise, programs can appear volatile.

A couple of years ago, Buffalo had a strong H&N cancer and trauma caseload. It still has a strong trauma presence. 2 attendings (one of whom is H&N fellowship trained) from Buffalo have since taken vertical advancement positions at another program. This is not an unusual occurrence. Another departing attending will be a H&N fellow at Maryland. Since it's most recent site visit, Buffalo maintains a strong trauma caseload but may lack in reconstructive and orthognathic cases. This is likely a motive for a 5th year resident to seek chief year experience elsewhere. Buffalo is slowly rebuilding its caseload. If you apply this year, it is likely that Buffalo will have a robust OR caseload by your chief year.

Point is, programs change. Look at this post from 2011:
Additionally, in the context of a long training pathway (i.e. 4-6 years), programs can change faculty and thus change focus. One only needs to look at NYU 5-7 years ago compared to now. Someone above mentioned that BU doesn't do cancer. See what happens over the next 1-2 years now that Salama is there. Same with UWash and Jas Dillon. See how much cancer UCSF will do over the next 2 years, now that Schmidt is gone. See what happens at Buffalo in the next 2-3 years if Dierks' fellow decides to go back there...Don't count on your program staying the same over the next 4-6 years. Change is coming.

A couple of months ago, Buffalo's accreditation status was "Approved with reporting requirements," likely for its number of orthognathic or reconstructive cases.

Last edited:
Nepotism at at its finest.

From what I've heard, the resident has transferred to a four year program in the Midwest.

As applicants, you judge a program's strengths by the number and diversity of OR caseloads which are dependent on the program's roster of attendings. However, it is common for programs to undergo change. Vertical faculty advancement is often only achievable by taking a position at another program. Some programs have attendings who have worked there for decades. It is these programs that you can assume to be stable and safely gamble to rank these programs highly and assume that it will remain strong when you become chief. Otherwise, programs can appear volatile.

A couple of years ago, Buffalo had a strong H&N cancer and trauma caseload. It still has a strong trauma presence. 2 attendings (one of whom is H&N fellowship trained) from Buffalo have since taken vertical advancement positions at another program. This is not an unusual occurrence. Another departing attending will be a H&N fellow at Maryland. Since it's most recent site visit, Buffalo maintains a strong trauma caseload but may lack in reconstructive and orthognathic cases. This is likely a motive for a 5th year resident to seek chief year experience elsewhere. Buffalo is slowly rebuilding its caseload. If you apply this year, it is likely that Buffalo will have a robust OR caseload by your chief year.

Point is, programs change. Look at this post from 2011:

A couple of months ago, Buffalo's accreditation status was "Approved with reporting requirements," likely for its number of orthognathic or reconstructive cases.

YOU SURE KNOW A LOT..........DON'T TELL ME YOUR FROM THE PROGRAM AND PRETENDING TO BE SOMEONE ELSE...IS THIS WHY YOU CREATED YOU ACCOUNT YESTERDAY?

YOU ARE VERY PROTECTIVE OF THE PROGRAM GIVEN YOU ONLY "HEARD" THIS INFORMATION...YOU ARE USING VERY INTERESTING VOCABULARY TO EXPLAIN WHATS GOING ON IN THE PROGRAM.
THE HEAD AND NECK SURGEON LEFT THE PROGRAM AFTER ONLY 2 YEARS..THE PROGRAM AND LOCAL HOSPITAL SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ON THE EQUIPMENT AND ON RECRUITING HIM.

3 RESIDENTS ARE LEAVING THE PROGRAM. 2ND YEAR, 3RD YEAR AND 4TH YEAR. THERE IS NO PROGRAM DIRECTOR OR CHAIRMEN. NO PROGRAM HAS EVER LOST 3 RESIDENTS WITHIN THE SAME YEAR..ITS EXTREMELY RARE FOR RESIDENTS TO LEAVE A PROGRAM.

WHY WAS THE PD DEMOTED TO ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR? OR CHAIRMEN DEMOTED TO INTERIM PD?

Members don't see this ad :)
YOU SURE KNOW A LOT..........DON'T TELL ME YOUR FROM THE PROGRAM AND PRETENDING TO BE SOMEONE ELSE...IS THIS WHY YOU CREATED YOU ACCOUNT YESTERDAY?

YOU ARE VERY PROTECTIVE OF THE PROGRAM GIVEN YOU ONLY "HEARD" THIS INFORMATION...YOU ARE USING VERY INTERESTING VOCABULARY TO EXPLAIN WHATS GOING ON IN THE PROGRAM.
THE HEAD AND NECK SURGEON LEFT THE PROGRAM AFTER ONLY 2 YEARS..THE PROGRAM AND LOCAL HOSPITAL SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ON THE EQUIPMENT AND ON RECRUITING HIM.

3 RESIDENTS ARE LEAVING THE PROGRAM. 2ND YEAR, 3RD YEAR AND 4TH YEAR. THERE IS NO PROGRAM DIRECTOR OR CHAIRMEN. NO PROGRAM HAS EVER LOST 3 RESIDENTS WITHIN THE SAME YEAR..ITS EXTREMELY RARE FOR RESIDENTS TO LEAVE A PROGRAM.

WHY WAS THE PD DEMOTED TO ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR? OR CHAIRMEN DEMOTED TO INTERIM PD?
bd3.png

Reactions: 5 users

I was an applicant this past cycle and have matched elsewhere.

The University of Buffalo should be transparent about the current condition of the program before they start recruiting residents into their program. I've heard these rumors during the interview trail and immediately declined their interview invitation; nobody should risk their future by training in this volatile environment if the rumors are true.

Was he the former program director?
"UB’s John H. Campbell inducted into American College of Surgeons"
UB’s John H. Campbell inducted into American College of Surgeons - University at Buffalo

Last edited by a moderator:
The University of Buffalo should be transparent about the current condition of the program before they start recruiting residents into their program. I've heard these rumors during the interview trail and immediately declined their interview invitation; nobody should risk their future by training in this volatile environment if the rumors are true.

Was he the former program director?
"UB’s John H. Campbell inducted into American College of Surgeons"
UB’s John H. Campbell inducted into American College of Surgeons - University at Buffalo

Any surgeon can be admitted to FACS. You need to have 2 years experience and have some OR cases. Look up the requirements.

No student should be placed in this environment. It will not be a conducive learning environment or training. No student should be placed in a malignant environment and this information must be out to the candidates whom are thinking about OMFS training in Buffalo. Residency is tough but what makes it worse is the maliciousness of some faculty or residents. What kind of training you'll get with 2 faculty in a program, with one only doing dento-alveolar and trauma. Again, its not normal for a program to loose 3 OMFS residents in one year, 2 full time faculty and PD and Chairmen getting fired from their positions. There is no bias here. Just facts. Ultimately its your decision as to where you want to go. I would encourage you to call the part-time faculty, VA faculty, ECMC GPR Director and dental school faculty about the environment and conditions of the program. Good luck.

Update on the program:

The program is in big trouble and could lose accreditation if things doesn't change.
Interesting theory, care to expound on why that might be?

Update on the program:
The Program director was demoted to an assistant professor for whole bunch of reasons. They couldn't get him fired because the wife is the Associate Dean and he is best friends with chairmen----

The Program Chairmen was demoted to program director: He doesn't operate...The residents does all the planning and extractions. Do NOT expect him to guide you on any surgery. If tooth is not coming out, make the hole bigger..sooner or later it will come out.
Demoted? From program director to assistant professor and from chairman to program director? That doesn't make a lot of sense for a variety of reasons. Academic rank (Assistant vs. Associate vs. Full Professor) is an independent system from Chair/Program director, and it doesn't go in any direction but forwards. According to the faculty promotion and tenure guide at UB (available for your perusal here: Faculty Staff Handbook) there doesn't even seem to be a procedure for decreasing an individual's academic rank.

In terms of what constitutes a chairperson and a program director, these are completely separate jobs with differing responsibilities, and they don't exist on a continuum (Clinical Professor < Program Director < Chairman). A chairperson is the administrative head of a department or division (hiring, firing, finances etc...), while a program director is responsible for creating and maintaining a specific academic program and curriculum (In this case, directing the residency program). While it may seem like there is a continuum, it's entirely possible one could become a chairperson without ever having been a program director, or even go in the opposite direction, or be both simultaneously. They're just different jobs all together. Not understanding that calls some serious question into your understanding of the situation.

In terms of your comments about teaching style ("He doesn't operate...The residents does all the planning and extractions. Do NOT expect him to guide you on any surgery. If tooth is not coming out, make the hole bigger..sooner or later it will come out."), there are many of them, and adult education theory is well developed and depending on your desired outcome, it's not unusual to see varied approaches. In trying to take a student from a competency level to mastery level, allowing a student freedom to explore learn and develop within their own past educational context without micromanagement is both a valid and desirable characteristic. Most OMS residency expect their residents to have achieved competency in dental extractions during dental school, though it may be the case that the individual you're referencing here (Is this personal experience?) may have had some significant gaps in their dental education and might need some remedial training at the hand-holding level.

Update on the program:
Two FACULTY left the program last year for another program. Both are in the same place. Etern Park DDS, MD. Barry Boyd DDS, MD. The program has only total 2 full-time faculty--
This isn't uncommon in academic OMS as expounded upon above by Chromic

Update on the program:
The individuals are not allowed to work in couple of hospitals because of liability issues for various reasons.
Like what? I'm not allowed to work in a couple of hospitals for liability reasons either (Because I'm not credentialed in those hospitals, and have never tried to be). In it's current state, this phrase is literally meaningless and could be applied to any OMS

3 residents will be leaving the program in June of this year. 1st year, 4th year and 5th year guys.
Which residents are leaving again? Another point you seem to be very confused on.

Aren't these residents leaving for other training programs? Doesn't that necessarily mean those programs also lost a resident (In the same training year). Must not be as rare as you thought?

Didn't you create your account the exact same day as the user in this comment? What excuses you from the same implications you're accusing that poster of? You seem to be incredibly confused about what's going on at UB, and clearly have some sort of axe to grind with the program. I don't really have a horse in this race, but I'm fairly sure everything you've posted is a best a half-truth tilted towards smearing the program. I don't really have any contact with the individuals in questions, but I have heard that the chairman stepped down from his appointment as chair and the previous program director was appointed as interim chair while a nationwide search is carried out (This is required at all universities when an academic position is vacated, the most likely outcome will be the interim chair ends up taking the position). I also believe there has been quite a bit of interest in the vacated positions and it may already have been filled.

A couple of my OS buddies were forced to drop out before in different programs... I feel really bad because they did all kinds of crazy extracurricular activities, studied really hard, had a high class rank, and got a great nbme score. They are great people. I think that their relationship with faculties did not work out well..
You make an interesting point: Why do we continue to select residents with certain qualities ("crazy extracurricular activities, studied really hard, had a high class rank, and got a great nbme score") when it's other ones ("I think that their relationship with faculties did not work out well") that end up causing more significant problems in the end?

I feel really bad about their journey to become a certified exodontist with Iv sedation training and poor soft tissue management training.. maybe its their training that made their personality so aggressive

Oh, nevermind. I thought on the basis of the previous comment you might have actually had some insight into what OMS residency entails.

Reactions: 3 users
My suggestion to applicants is to ask questions during interviews. A lot of residencies around the country are modern slavery that they use your youth and intelligence, and then give you a certificate after 3, 4, or 6 years. These are the best years of your life and at least you want to make sure you walk in to a healthy environment. It is easy to say "resident did not perform" or "resident resigned", and it wasn't our fault. But one might ask what they have done to help a resident? Did they hear resident's concerns? Did they try to provide a resident enough help? A lot of these academic specialists care about their paycheck and their long term future and they don't care about residents at their heart. Your specialty is a long one and the last thing you want is to get into a malignant program. Malignant residency will affect your life and even your life after graduation. It will affect your relationships with your spouse and kids, and you don't want to spend months of studying for oral surgery exam and then loosing residency because of few ignorant specialists who failed in private practice and ended up becoming academic faculty with the excuse of love working with residents or love doing big cases. The best people to ask during interviews are part time faculty, and watch how attendings treat their staff and DA's during interviews.

Last edited:
My suggestion to applicants is to ask questions during interviews. A lot of residencies around the country are modern slavery that they use your youth and intelligence, and then give you a certificate after 3, 4, or 6 years. These are the best years of your life and at least you want to make sure you walk in to a healthy environment. It is easy to say "resident did not perform" or "resident resigned", and it wasn't our fault. But one might ask what they have done to help a resident? Did they hear resident's concerns? Did they try to provide a resident enough help? A lot of these academic specialists care about their paycheck and their long term future and they don't care about residents at their heart. Your specialty is a long one and the last thing you want is to get into a malignant program. Malignant residency will affect your life and even your life after graduation. It will affect your relationships with your spouse and kids, and you don't want to spend months of studying for oral surgery exam and then loosing residency because of few ignorant specialists who failed in private practice and ended up becoming academic faculty with the excuse of love working with residents or love doing big cases. The best people to ask during interviews are part time faculty, and watch how attendings treat their staff and DA's during interviews.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most OMFS residencies like 80-100 hours per week? Seems "unhealthy" no matter how you look at it.

Look what else is going on at Buffalo. There seems to be a lot of issues there. It is very difficulty for the GME to take away accreditation from a training program. Most faculty have left the program and I hear it is do to the toxic culture. The poor residents.

If this happens to any OS program, its impossible for the residents to find spots in other programs unlike derm. I am sure ARMOSHELL will find alternative facts to defend his institution. It seems he has a lot of interest in the OMFS program..very strange facts he has brought up about whats going on with the UB program.

The University at Buffalo's dermatology residency program at the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences has lost its accreditation.

The university announced Wednesday that the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education pulled the program's accreditation effective June 30 following its annual review and site visit of the dermatology residency program at the university's medical school.

The decision will affect eight people, who as of July 1, had committed to train in that residency program. They have all been notified.

The decision does not affect UB's dermatology department’s academic program.

Last edited:
Notice that there are multiple posters in this thread who have only recently registered and have only posted on this one topic.

I suspect they are one and the same.

Look what else is going on at Buffalo. There seems to be a lot of issues there. It is very difficulty for the GME to take away accreditation from a training program. Most faculty have left the program and I hear it is do to the toxic culture. The poor residents.

If this happens to any OS program, its impossible for the residents to find spots in other programs unlike derm. I am sure ARMOSHELL will find alternative facts to defend his institution. It seems he has a lot of interest in the OMFS program..very strange facts he has brought up about whats going on with the UB program.

The University at Buffalo's dermatology residency program at the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences has lost its accreditation.

The university announced Wednesday that the Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education pulled the program's accreditation effective June 30 following its annual review and site visit of the dermatology residency program at the university's medical school.

The decision will affect eight people, who as of July 1, had committed to train in that residency program. They have all been notified.

The decision does not affect UB's dermatology department’s academic program.

That user you mentioned has no affiliation with UB.

Status
Not open for further replies.