Online Biochemistry Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pamtas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I'm currently on my gap year right now (will be starting medical school this coming fall -i.e. august). I did not take any biochemistry during undergrad and would like to develop a basic understanding of it before medical school. I'm working full time and have been looking for a good online "at your own pace" type biochemistry course. I've heard interesting things about UNE's medical biochem course and UC Berkeley extension's intro. biochem course.

Has anybody taken either of these, while working full time? How did you feel it went? My job right now is not incredibly taxing so I usually have week nights free, but I'm worried this will become overload like many others have mentioned about UNE's course.

Also, despite the fact that I would like to use this course for purely learning and preparation purposes, is it a bad idea to take a course so close to beginning med school? (The UNE course would end in early July if I begin next week).

Thanks for any input you guys may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, you're already accepted to med school, so I fail to see what you have to lose.
If, worst case scenario, the course is too much and you stop doing it and fail it, you're already in med school... I highly doubt they'd rescind your acceptance for failing an non-required online course.
And if you learn something from it and it floats your boat to pre-game med school, then you've only gained.

So to recap: you are about to matriculate med school at a place that doesn't require biochem, and you are asking whether you should take a real, online biochemistry course for preparation, right?

I think that is a bad idea. It could come back to haunt you and isn't high yield. Just get a basic, basic biochem textbook and review it slowly on your own, only if you feel like you have to. Key topics for med school: the idea of proteins, why enzymes work, The Central Dogma of Molecular Biology, basics of DNA and genetics. but that would be it.

Please don't waste your precise free time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input, @kraskadva and @hobbes23 ! I forgot to mention that I am also on the waitlist at my top choice school, primarily due to academic reasons (my GPA and MCAT are avg/ very slightly below avg) so I was also hoping that by taking a course it would demonstrate a concrete demonstration of working to improve my academic readiness. Do you think this is essentially a pointless thing to do?

Thanks for the input, @kraskadva and @hobbes23 ! I forgot to mention that I am also on the waitlist at my top choice school, primarily due to academic reasons (my GPA and MCAT are avg/ very slightly below avg) so I was also hoping that by taking a course it would demonstrate a concrete demonstration of working to improve my academic readiness. Do you think this is essentially a pointless thing to do?
I don't think it would make any difference to your wait list chances. Do it if you want, but I wouldn't pin any hopes on med schools caring at all about this.
Besides, if you already have one acceptance in hand (yes?), then you're not going to turn it down to try again at the other school in a new cycle.

The wait list aspect changes things a little. I assume that the wait list school also doesn't have biochem as a pre-reg?

If you think that this is addressing a deficiency in your application, then maybe you should do it, but it still seems like a lot of work for possible benefit given that you won't have a grade until July. How far are you down on the wait list? Or will you be finding out in May?

I think you may be over thinking this when you have an acceptance in hand.

Just read over your thread, @canadianinusa ! Seems like you were in a very similar situation! Unfortunately, I won't know where I'm at on the wait list ever and they will apparently rank the list come May.

The acceptances that I hold right now are DO acceptances (which I am very happy about). But as a DO student, I would plan to take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX boards. This is a ton of extra hard work, which I'm not afraid of as any med student shouldn't be, but since I have a wait list at an MD school I want to try my hardest to get an acceptance there. They also have a much more appealing match list and desirable curriculum.

At the same time, I want to enjoy the free time I have now with perhaps individualized learning of biochem through free resources. But I'm concerned that this won't make much of a statement to my top choice school.

Use Kevin Ahern's free course on youtube. He has his actual lectures from Oregon State posted online. They were excellent sources and went right along with my class. Even in slightly more detail.

Reactions: 2 users
@canadianinusa , I have a couple of updates for them (added responsibilities at work, new personal endeavors, etc), but I don't believe any of them address any sort of deficiency in my app. (at least not that I'm aware of).

@Allen18328 , I've heard of his free course on youtube before! My only concern is that I'm not sure how concrete it sounds to schools if I just say that I have been following along with a free online course. I'm sure there are students who have said they're "preparing themselves by doing x, y and z" when really they did all of that just one time and then stopped.

Ugh yea waiting is so difficult! I looked up information regarding the merger, but all it means is that the residency programs have until 2020 to get accredited by the single GME system. There are supposedly no talks yet about a single set of board exams so DOs will still have to take USMLE for many programs.

I looked into the Harvard Extension course as well! But decided that that wouldn't fit my schedule very well. I do better with self learning as long as the evaluations (tests, quizzes, etc) are structured, so I'm not so worried about the self learning aspect. Just don't want to unnecessarily bust my butt and lose all my free time. I think right now it's between UNE's medical biochem course (will lose all my free time supposedly) and just self-learning with free materials. I've ruled out Berkeley bc of less than favorable reviews I found of the current professors.

Reactions: 1 users
A few years ago I was considering PA school and learned thru a pa forum that Kansas state also offers an online biochem course. I had only checked out UNE at that time. Maybe that's worth looking into. I did look at the free Oregon materials and was quite impressed

@canadianinusa , I have a couple of updates for them (added responsibilities at work, new personal endeavors, etc), but I don't believe any of them address any sort of deficiency in my app. (at least not that I'm aware of).

@Allen18328 , I've heard of his free course on youtube before! My only concern is that I'm not sure how concrete it sounds to schools if I just say that I have been following along with a free online course. I'm sure there are students who have said they're "preparing themselves by doing x, y and z" when really they did all of that just one time and then stopped.

I thought you were already accepted to a school that does not require Biochem? If you're just doing it to get ahead, I don't see why it would matter.

@Allen18328 , my hope would be to learn some biochem out of interest and to prepare for med school, but I also figured that this also presents an opportunity to share with the waitlisted school that I'm determined to make myself qualified for their program (by working on the deficiency in my app). I really have a strong feeling that I'll end up incredibly borderline on their ranked waitlist, which is why I probably seem so neurotic about this lol.

However, I do think that the UNE course would be a bit overboard (Uses up every bit of free time I will have up until less than a month before school starts. Not guaranteed to boost my place on the wait list. Expensive.). I've looked more into Kevin Ahern's free course on iTunesU and it looks like he even has exams posted there. This looks like a great alternative bc it seems like it may give me the best of both worlds, being able to learn/prepare myself and to update the school that I'm following along with some type of structured course.

Think I may try to give that a shot!

What do you guys think about this alternative?

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently finished (11/1/15) UC Berkeley's online Introductory Biochemistry course (MCELLBIX105) and would strongly dissuade anyone from taking this course. Although there are 4 professors that teach it, I can only comment on the one that taught mine, Rebekah Marsh. She is by far the worst professor I have ever had. Her assignments are vague, however, her assessments and grading are extremely detailed and overly harsh. No matter (1) how much information I included; (2) how many outside sources I cited; and (3) how thoroughly I formatted my responses in the assignments, she consistently deducted points citing random, specific requirements. Her favorite phrase appeared to be: "This also needed to be discussed." My impression is that she had a specific grading rubric in mind; however, she was not willing to share it with the students before hand.

For example, the written assignment for module 2 was: "Describe how a linear sequence of amino acids gives rise to the three-dimensional structure of proteins. Detail the significance of this structure, how it may be modified, and the results of such modification." After submitting a 10-page end-of-term quality paper, Dr. Marsh's assessment included deducting 32 points at random for "missing information," as follows:
"Thank you for submitting the Module 2 assignment. The M2 assignment was~~> “Describe how a linear sequence of amino acids gives rise to the three-dimensional structure of proteins. Detail the significance of this structure, how it may be modified, and the results of such modification.” It was easy to read. You did describe the importance of the primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary structure for a protein. You did discuss how the primary structure of a protein is stabilized with peptide bonds; more discussion was needed in regards to what a peptide bond is/the structure of the bond (-5 points) and character of the peptide bond (-5 points). Be able to discuss and draw the reaction which occurs when 2 amino acids interact to create a peptide bond for the Midterm & Final Exam. You did discuss how secondary structures are stabilized and the structures which can and do form. In regards to tertiary structure, more discussion was needed in regards to the structure which form at the tertiary level (-2.5 points). Partial credit earned as the regions within tertiary structure - domains - were discussed. There are multiple types of interactions involving the interactions of the side-chains in the tertiary structure. There can be up to 9 different types of interactions involving the interactions of the side-chains and two types of interactions were mentioned: hydrophobic interactions & disulfide bonds(-7 points). Interactions which can and do form at the tertiary level include: Hydrophobic interactions, disulfide bridges, salt bridges, ionic bonds, metallic bonds, covalent bonds, polar bonds, van der Waals and hydrogen bonds are forces that stabilize and contribute to tertiary structure. In regards to quaternary structure, the structure was nicely discussed. The same interactions which appear in the tertiary structure are present in the quaternary structure of the protein. No quaternary interactions were discussed (-10 points). In regards to the second part of the Module 2 assignment, you discussed three ways how the levels of protein structure are affected when a protein is modified. You did discuss modifications (i.e. methylations, phosphorylations or acetylations), mutations and conformational changes. There are also other ways in which a protein can be modified and then the level of protein structure affected: denaturation/renaturation (-7.5 points). Thank you for submitting the Module 2 Assignment.
Score: 68/100"​

Two of the written assignments, the first and another one later on in the course, were actually sent back to me by the professor asking me to include additional specific information and re-submit them. In both instances, the information was already in the paper, leading me to wonder if the professor had even read the assignment. By about the 3rd module assignment, I learned to basically paraphrase entire chapters of the textbook. Each subsequent written assignment submission consisted of between 17 and 20 pages, and my grades improved so that I went into the final exam with a 92%.

As for the course format:
  • Students have between 90 and 180 days to complete the course.
  • It consists of 11 modules, with module 6 being a 90 minute online, open-book mid-term.
  • Each of the other 10 modules has reading assignments, 1 online classroom discussion question response (at least 250 words), 1 response to another student's discussion question (at least 25 words), and 1 written assignment (no stated minimum length, but required 15-20 page response to receive 90-100%).
  • A 3 hour closed-book, proctored cumulative final.
  • Course grade consists of:
    • 10% mid-term exam
    • 20% discussion assignments
    • 20% written assignments
    • 50% final exam, however, you must pass the final exam with a score of at least 70% to pass the course.
I am 50 years old and have taken more than my fair share of science courses, both in the classroom and more recently online. Final grades in all of these courses have ranged from 95% to 100% - all solid A's...except for this course, which I failed. The average score for my class on the final exam was under 60%, meaning that a majority of the students failed the class. (FYI, each class section consists of 70-100 students.) In addition, the administration at UC Berkeley will not intervene on a student's behalf and will only recite University policy in their response.

Please do yourself a tremendous favor and DO NOT TAKE THIS COURSE! There are so many other viable online and in-class options, that even if you decide to relegate my above recount to the ranting of some disgruntled aberrant student, why would you even take that chance. For many of you, the satisfactory outcome of this course will have a significant impact on your academic future...do not assume that you will fare any better.

Reactions: 2 users
I recently finished (11/1/15) UC Berkeley's online Introductory Biochemistry course (MCELLBIX105) and would strongly dissuade anyone from taking this course. Although there are 4 professors that teach it, I can only comment on the one that taught mine, Rebekah Marsh. She is by far the worst professor I have ever had. Her assignments are vague, however, her assessments and grading are extremely detailed and overly harsh. No matter (1) how much information I included; (2) how many outside sources I cited; and (3) how thoroughly I formatted my responses in the assignments, she consistently deducted points citing random, specific requirements. Her favorite phrase appeared to be: "This also needed to be discussed." My impression is that she had a specific grading rubric in mind; however, she was not willing to share it with the students before hand.

For example, the written assignment for module 2 was: "Describe how a linear sequence of amino acids gives rise to the three-dimensional structure of proteins. Detail the significance of this structure, how it may be modified, and the results of such modification." After submitting a 10-page end-of-term quality paper, Dr. Marsh's assessment included deducting 32 points at random for "missing information," as follows:
"Thank you for submitting the Module 2 assignment. The M2 assignment was~~> “Describe how a linear sequence of amino acids gives rise to the three-dimensional structure of proteins. Detail the significance of this structure, how it may be modified, and the results of such modification.” It was easy to read. You did describe the importance of the primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary structure for a protein. You did discuss how the primary structure of a protein is stabilized with peptide bonds; more discussion was needed in regards to what a peptide bond is/the structure of the bond (-5 points) and character of the peptide bond (-5 points). Be able to discuss and draw the reaction which occurs when 2 amino acids interact to create a peptide bond for the Midterm & Final Exam. You did discuss how secondary structures are stabilized and the structures which can and do form. In regards to tertiary structure, more discussion was needed in regards to the structure which form at the tertiary level (-2.5 points). Partial credit earned as the regions within tertiary structure - domains - were discussed. There are multiple types of interactions involving the interactions of the side-chains in the tertiary structure. There can be up to 9 different types of interactions involving the interactions of the side-chains and two types of interactions were mentioned: hydrophobic interactions & disulfide bonds(-7 points). Interactions which can and do form at the tertiary level include: Hydrophobic interactions, disulfide bridges, salt bridges, ionic bonds, metallic bonds, covalent bonds, polar bonds, van der Waals and hydrogen bonds are forces that stabilize and contribute to tertiary structure. In regards to quaternary structure, the structure was nicely discussed. The same interactions which appear in the tertiary structure are present in the quaternary structure of the protein. No quaternary interactions were discussed (-10 points). In regards to the second part of the Module 2 assignment, you discussed three ways how the levels of protein structure are affected when a protein is modified. You did discuss modifications (i.e. methylations, phosphorylations or acetylations), mutations and conformational changes. There are also other ways in which a protein can be modified and then the level of protein structure affected: denaturation/renaturation (-7.5 points). Thank you for submitting the Module 2 Assignment.

Two of the written assignments, the first and another one later on in the course, were actually sent back to me by the professor asking me to include additional specific information and re-submit them. In both instances, the information was already in the paper, leading me to wonder if the professor had even read the assignment. By about the 3rd module assignment, I learned to basically paraphrase entire chapters of the textbook. Each subsequent written assignment submission consisted of between 17 and 20 pages, and my grades improved so that I went into the final exam with a 92%.

• It consists of 11 modules, with module 6 being a 90 minute online, open-book mid-term.
  • Each of the other 10 modules has reading assignments, 1 online classroom discussion question response (at least 250 words), 1 response to another student's discussion question (at least 25 words), and 1 written assignment (no stated minimum length, but required 15-20 page response to receive 90-100%).
    • 10% mid-term exam
    • 50% final exam, however, you must pass the final exam with a score of at least 70% to pass the course.
I am 50 years old and have taken more than my fair share of science courses, both in the classroom and more recently online. Final grades in all of these courses have ranged from 95% to 100% - all solid A's...except for this course, which I failed. The average score for my class on the final exam was under 60%, meaning that a majority of the students failed the class. (FYI, each class section consists of 70-100 students.) In addition, the administration at UC Berkeley will not intervene on a student's behalf and will only recite University policy in their response.

Please do yourself a tremendous favor and DO NOT TAKE THIS COURSE! There are so many other viable online and in-class options, that even if you decide to relegate my above recount to the ranting of some disgruntled aberrant student, why would you even take that chance. For many of you, the satisfactory outcome of this course will have a significant impact on your academic future...do not assume that you will fare any better.

That sounds awful. I'm nearly complete taking Biochemistry at CSU with Aaron Sholders. Can't reccomend this professor more. I'm willing to go into detail about the course and professor if anyone is interested.

• 10% mid-term exam

That alone re: the vagueness of the rubric is enough to say pass it up. It's like this. If people are going on a particular destination, they need to know how to get there, particularly if a certain path w/ certain expectations along the way are required. There is so much manifold knowledge and things in which to hone in on, students need clear directions, or you are just jerking them around. This is in NO WAY spoon-feeding them. It's about setting off on a clear destination as opposed to aimlessly wandering around and hoping you get there. Clarity is key in communication, and much of education is about clear communication and unambiguous directives and expectations. Writing the objectives sets the general scope, but damn, sound rubrics make expectations clear. I think professors that can't bother with these things are a waste of time for the students.

Thanks for your comprehensive review.

That alone re: the vagueness of the rubric is enough to say pass it up. It's like this. If people are going on a particular destination, they need to know how to get there, particularly if a certain path w/ certain expectations along the way are required. There is so much manifold knowledge and things in which to hone in on, students need clear directions, or you are just jerking them around. This is in NO WAY spoon-feeding them. It's about setting off on a clear destination as opposed to aimlessly wandering around and hoping you get there. Clarity is key in communication, and much of education is about clear communication and unambiguous directives and expectations. Writing the objectives sets the general scope, but damn, sound rubrics make expectations clear. I think professors that can't bother with these things are a waste of time for the students.

Thanks for your comprehensive review.

jl lin, thank you for your response! Very well stated...

That sounds awful. I'm nearly complete taking Biochemistry at CSU with Aaron Sholders. Can't reccomend this professor more. I'm willing to go into detail about the course and professor if anyone is interested.

FCMike11, Thanks for the CSU recommendation! I will look into it, since I still need to take this prerequisite and would prefer to take it online. Best of luck in your medical career!

• 10% mid-term exam

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience. It seems like the general consensus on SDN is that Berkeley online biochem is terrible.

I'm very interested. Berkeley seems to get universally negative reviews and UNE seems fairly mixed. If there is a better option, I'm sure many of us would like to know about it.

I would love to hear more about other good online options as well, I'll be starting at a school which requires biochem, and am trying to decide on a course now. One downside of the CSU course seems to be cost, it's $1675, I haven't looked into possibilities for financial aid, but I won't qualify for federal aid since I'll only be taking the one course after completing my bachelor's. My initial draw to UC Berkeley was the comparatively low cost, but there really don't seem to be any good reviews about it on here. I'd love to hear from anyone who has not had a terrible experience!

I would love to hear more about other good online options as well, I'll be starting at a school which requires biochem, and am trying to decide on a course now. One downside of the CSU course seems to be cost, it's $1675, I haven't looked into possibilities for financial aid, but I won't qualify for federal aid since I'll only be taking the one course after completing my bachelor's. My initial draw to UC Berkeley was the comparatively low cost, but there really don't seem to be any good reviews about it on here. I'd love to hear from anyone who has not had a terrible experience!

I'm taking my final for CSU Biochemistry a week from tomorrow. Will put up a personal review of the course after.

I did Berkeley the semester before I started med school because it was a prereq for one of the schools I was waitlisted at. It was cheap, not too much work and I think I got an A. It didn't prepare me for med school biochem but after the first test everyone was screwed anyway (and I did fine because I worked hard).

Since I had such a terrible experience with the UC Berkeley Extension biochemistry course, I have done some research on possible alternatives. Oregon State's Elementary Biochemistry - BB 350 - is a one term course covering all of biochemistry, while their Introductory Biochemistry - BB 450 - is the first term of a two-term series (BB 451, being the second term). Although OSU operates on a quarter-term system, the 4-credit BB 350 course still meets my program's prerequisite requirements. Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with this course? The professor is Kevin Ahern, who consistently receives great reviews and has posted a lot of useful material on Youtube. Unless I hear otherwise, I will plan on enrolling for the Winter Term, beginning on January 4, 2016.

Harvard Extension offers an all-online Biochem course in the spring (they record lectures from the fall and just repost them for spring): https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/courses/introduction-biochemistry/24316

I haven't heard much complaining from friends who have taken it. Cost is $1350 which is a bit cheaper, but you'd have to find a proctor to take the 3 tests if you live outside New England which would bump the cost up.

I am looking at taking this course this summer, so I would love to hear your experience!

Hey! Could I take you up on getting some more information about the course and professor, please?

Hey! Could I take you up on getting some more information about the course and professor, please?

I am looking at taking this course this summer, so I would love to hear your experience!
Alright, I am about to go for a run. Will do a write up on the class later this day. Should I just make it's own post?

I am writing my review up now. Got my old syllabus from Dr. Sholders so it will be relatively detailed. Will make a new post. Not sure in what forum, though.

I am writing my review up now. Got my old syllabus from Dr. Sholders so it will be relatively detailed. Will make a new post. Not sure in what forum, though.
Have you posted it yet?