One year pre-cards fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardshopeful87

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard in the past of people doing one year post IM fellowships to network prior to going into cardiology. To my knowledge heart failure is now an official fellowship post cardiology. Do some of these one year gigs still exist? If so unified place to find them? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you like to do that? I doubt that this will significantly improve your chances of matching? Yes, there are 1-year CHF and 1-year echo fellowships that you can do after residency, but what is the point if your plan is to become a cardiologist?

Reactions: 1 user
I've also seen Cardio-Oncology programs that will do this.

But I agree, I don't see the benefit of applying to one of these INSTEAD of applying for cardio for a particular year.

Members don't see this ad :)
My thought was to do it to strengthen my resume, network, LOR, and research pubs. Currently a 2nd yr IM at a community program. I'm planning on applying upcoming cycle and see what happens but just thinking ahead for a backup plan instead of doing hospitalist and re-applying if I don't match.

My opinion is that doing an extra year of non-ACGME CHF or echo, will not greatly strengthen your application. It could minimally improve your CV and it will require a whole year of your life.

Your CV will not look better than someone who has tons of publications or comes from a first tier hospital.

It is a lot of effort and minimal gain.

Last edited:
My opinion is that doing an extra year of non-ACGME CHF or echo, will not greatly strengthen your application. It could minimally improve your CV and it will require a whole year of your life.

Your CV will not look better than someone who has tons of publications or comes from a first tier hospital.

It is a lot of effort and minimal gain.

It will improve the chances at programs who have the fellowship. Some IMGs are able to get into cards fellowship that way. Coming from a community hospital with zero research chances or unknown faculty --> this is not a bad gig

To original poster, google is your friend . There are echo, cardio-oncology, Preventive cardiology, CHF, vascular medicine and nuclear fellowships out there. U need to look at their track record of subsequently matching people into cards fellowship