One-Year Masters review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

safthegiraffe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Has anyone done a one-year masters program through schools like Tufts, CSU, or Iowa State to strengthen their application for vet school? How was it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! Has anyone done a one-year masters program through schools like Tufts, CSU, or Iowa State to strengthen their application for vet school? How was it?
I did one at CSU. We were the test run for our program. I did not get in and went on to work, but many in the next few classes got into med and vet schools and those that didn't, tended to get sweet jobs.

I completed the one-year biomedical masters at CSU (animal concentration). Cannot speak enough on how great of preparation it is for veterinary school. I did not get in last cycle (reapplying this round) but many of my classmates did. It's a really good opportunity to get a good basis in the classes most vet students struggle with (anatomy, physiology, immunology, etc.) but it's not easy. It is a tough program designed to demonstrate you have the academic capabilities to handle veterinary school. If you have more questions feel free to pm me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed the one-year biomedical masters at CSU (animal concentration). Cannot speak enough on how great of preparation it is for veterinary school. I did not get in last cycle (reapplying this round) but many of my classmates did. It's a really good opportunity to get a good basis in the classes most vet students struggle with (anatomy, physiology, immunology, etc.) but it's not easy. It is a tough program designed to demonstrate you have the academic capabilities to handle veterinary school. If you have more questions feel free to pm me.
Which version? Anatomy, Neuro, ART?

Never do schooling with the aim to do more schooling. Don't wast your time and money just to end up with a worthless degree. Do more schooling because it helps your career, bonus if it also shows you can handle the rigors of graduate school.

Reactions: 1 users

This program isn't available online, is it?

I did a non-thesis master's program through UGA last year. I think there were five in the program, one of whom got into UGA, and another into Tuskegee. The other three of us didn't get in anywhere, but I decided to extend mine into a two-year program and do a thesis because I like to torture myself. Jokes aside, pursuing the degree has really given me an open mind about other exciting careers I could have involving animals and science outside of the veterinary medicine field. I'm just stoked to move on to the next phase of my life, whether it be in vet school or a career.
However, I would not recommend the degree solely to boost your stats for your vet school application. There's always a chance you won't get in after the program, and you don't want to feel like you wasted your time and money on something you don't really care about. I always told myself that I wanted to go back to school, whether it be graduate school or vet school, so it was an easy decision for me to apply.