One year internship in Dubai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wizzy001

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Anyone know about internship in dubai.
How much interns are paid and what the experience is like ?

I need help please! Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I also have this question. Specifically, I am wondering if is it possible to do medical training in the UAE after graduating from an Australian medical school? Or are there separate board examinations for this country?

Reactions: 1 user
If you're not from the UAE, the internship is unpaid.
After internship, you can write the EMSTREX which is the emirati medical training exam to enter into specialty training. Priority is for UAE citizens and residents.
I dont think you can apply to write the EMSTREX if you are not a resident of the UAE.
Nor can you apply for residency training as a consequence of not being able to write the EMSTREX.
hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not from the UAE, the internship is unpaid.
After internship, you can write the EMSTREX which is the emirati medical training exam to enter into specialty training. Priority is for UAE citizens and residents.
I dont think you can apply to write the EMSTREX if you are not a resident of the UAE.
Nor can you apply for residency training as a consequence of not being able to write the EMSTREX.
hope this helps

Thank you very much for this information. I would like to know; after the internship year for non residents, would you be registered into their medical council as a General practitioner?
Can you then apply for jobs as a GP
Does the hospital provide accommodation or transport or any kind of package for interns not from the UAE since they are not been paid

Last edited:
Thank you very much for this information. I would like to know; after the internship year for non residents, would you be registered into their medical council as a General practitioner?
Does the hospital provide accommodation or transport or any kind of package for interns not from the UAE since they are not been paid

The hospital will provide nothing if youre not a UAE citizen. They will not even provide you with a residency to stay.
After the internship you will not be registered. You will ned to apply for either residency training in Abu dhabi/dubai (not sure about other emirates) or find a private hospital that can give you some experience before youre able to register as a GP with a license to practice. For non emaratis you need two years of experience.

The hospital will provide nothing if youre not a UAE citizen. They will not even provide you with a residency to stay.
After the internship you will not be registered. You will ned to apply for either residency training in Abu dhabi/dubai (not sure about other emirates) or find a private hospital that can give you some experience before youre able to register as a GP with a license to practice. For non emaratis you need two years of experience.

What then is the benefit of doing internship year in dubai?Is it recognized around the world? Can you apply for residency in other countries after your internship year in dubai?

During residency training or two years of experience at a hospital do you get paid(Non UAE)? If yes, around how much?

And do you need to sit for any exam after internship in other to get into a private hospital in dubai or before applying for residency training in dubai

Sorry for the numerous questions. I really need help :)

Last edited:
Hi.i am new to this site.and i have the same questions regarding medical internship in dubai.I'm not a UAE national and i am doing my MD degree in Tbilisi state medical university in Georgia.I still didnt graduate from medical university.but i would like to work in dubai as a GP.What are the procedures after graduating to start the internship in dubai?and if after internship in dubai can i get work experience in a private hospital in dubai and then get registered in the medical council to get licence to work as a GP.Please help me..

Apparently Dubai and Abu Dhabi health authority accepts the USMLE for licensure. Seems like the best thing to do would be to complete training and board certification in the US then apply for work visa if you want to live in the UAE

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You have to pay to do an internship in the UAE if you're not a citizen (aprox 50,000 dirhams which roughly 15,000 US) that's just for them to allow you to write the licensing exam. Oh and if you're on-call and you're not a citizen, they don't provide you with meals, but if you are a citizen, they do provide you with meals (wtf racism to the next level I know).
After you pass the licensing exam, you apply for a residency spot, there's only medicine, OBGYN, family practice, and psychiatry I think (not sure about psych). UAE citizens with lower grades and worse credentials than you will get these spots, if there are any left, you might be able to score a place.
During residency, you'll get paid aprox 10-12 thousand dirhams per month, depending whether you're in abu dhabi or dubai (ad pays more as a general rule). If you're in ad, you get the above mentioned plus housing. In dubai, you're on your own for housing. 10K will not get you a room in the most run down places in dubai, let alone a flat. BUT there's a twist! You see many people apply for residency in the UAE as a back up, they start residency and if they get accepted in the US or UK, they just pack their stuff and leave. SO what did they decide to do to fight this? They deduct 2000 dirhams from your salary and "save it" for you. If you complete your training, you get a big payment of all those 2k adding up over x number of years. If you don't complete training, your money goes to them.
Residency in general is horrible. You're mostly not going to do anything on your own. You're just going to learn by observing.Which is the complete opposite of medical residencies elsewhere.
As for practicing if you're foreign trained, you need to pass their licensing exam (you need at least 1 years(s) of clinical experience in your home country to sit the exam, or you pay 50000 dirhams and get 1 year of experience at their hospitals) . The exam is generally very easy, I don't think that any decent medical student would fail it tbh.
Hope that helped!

Lol to the above post, Dubai has probably the lowest cost of living anywhere in the world. Unless you're looking for a property on the palm I find the above post difficult to believe

Lol to the above post, Dubai has probably the lowest cost of living anywhere in the world. Unless you're looking for a property on the palm I find the above post difficult to believe

Umm Dubai has one of the most inflated costs of living anywhere in the world. Please explain to the people here, how will someone pay rent when they only get 8k a month, while landlords ask for a year's rent in advance? Minimum for a 1 bedroom or a studio is what? 60k or 70k? Yeah that's more than half of your yearly income that you have to pay all at once upfront. Add the rising cost of living into the equation, and unless you live with your parents or have someone pay rent for you, it's not doable.

Umm Dubai has one of the most inflated costs of living anywhere in the world. Please explain to the people here, how will someone pay rent when they only get 8k a month, while landlords ask for a year's rent in advance? Minimum for a 1 bedroom or a studio is what? 60k or 70k? Yeah that's more than half of your yearly income that you have to pay all at once upfront. Add the rising cost of living into the equation, and unless you live with your parents or have someone pay rent for you, it's not doable.

Umm I don't know what listings you're looking... I forgot they have the weird thing of having to pay the whole year rent up front, that makes it hard. But the per month breakdown is cheaper

Trust me, not doable.

10 k is totally liveable in dubai as a lot of areas are now offering monthly or three monthly advance payments which are not that hard to manage. For just 4K a month you can get a studio in a good newer locality of the city. And since other expenses are cheap that will be highly affordable.

Has anyone given the emstrex exam? Also which book or reading materials are sufficient for this exam?

Hello! I am a 5th year international medical student out of 6 year MD course. My final year is a 1 year pre diploma externship. Does anyone know if Dubai counts this as the one year internship? Thank you

UPDATE: INTERNSHIPS IN DUBAI 2021

They take applications around June 1st week. Refer to the Dubai Health Authority Website for application procedures.

1. Yes, they prefer UAE citizens, then UAE residents and then the immigrants. Just like any other normal country. If UAE residents don't get in the program here, where else would we go? can all of us afford to travel?

2. Currently the internship program supplies interns with meals (if you're oncall), beds, accommodation (preferably for female interns only).
The internship is a 12 month program with 6 months under medicine and 6 under surgery.
6 month in medicine includes peds, gen IM, PHC, psych and an elective of your choice
6 month in surgery includes obgyn, gen surgery, emergency med, and an elective of your choice
Seats and timings are giving according to how high your grades are. The higher the grades the more likely you get into your choice of elective/seats

3. UAE citizens (Emiratis) are paid only for their duty to the country. It's called an honorary. Other nationalities are not paid because of the same reason.

4. Hospitals interns train currently at: Rashid Hospital, Dubai Hospital, Latifa Hospital, Al Jalila Hospital and Hatta Hospital (this hospital is a 2 hour drive from Dubai and there is accommodation free)

5. Regardless of what seats or electives you end up with, if you show enthusiasm you learn alot.
Its an added advantage if you can take basic medical history in Arabic/Urdu/Hindi. You will not have to rely on others for communication and this will make your senior doctor incharge score you higher for your evaluations. Using google translate you might get most of the basic words like pain, fever, infection, cough, shortness of breath etc

6. EMSTREX is changed to EMREE, its a little harder now. The last batch that wrote it said so. Almost everyone I know is using STEP 1, STEP 2, STEPUP MED, final year notes, repeated questions banks to prepare for this exam. After this there are multiple mini interviews. If you pass emree you can apply for residency in DHA or in Abu Dhabi. You need IELTS as well

All the best <3 <3 <3

Hi, I have a question, I am currently doing a 6yr MBBS in Russia, out of which the 6th yr is an internship yr. I also have a valid residency Dubai visa. So am I eligible to directly apply for the EMREE exam once I complete 6yrs, or do I have to do an additional yr of the internship because I checked the DHA eligibility criteria for EMREE ... this is what it said "A recognized Internship Program of minimum one-year duration, subject to it being succeeding the Bachelor’s Degree, without any abruption in the duration. "

Hi, I have a question, I am currently doing a 6yr MBBS in Russia, out of which the 6th yr is an internship yr. I also have a valid residency Dubai visa. So am I eligible to directly apply for the EMREE exam once I complete 6yrs, or do I have to do an additional yr of the internship because I checked the DHA eligibility criteria for EMREE ... this is what it said "A recognized Internship Program of minimum one-year duration, subject to it being succeeding the Bachelor’s Degree, without any abruption in the duration. "
Im also from Russia, a 5/6 yr MD program. If anyone answers you or you find out any information, please tell me