Oncology Pharmacy Oversaturation?

oelizas

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a junior in high school and I am interested in pursuing a career in pharmacy. I would really love to work in a career that involves the treatment of cancer, so oncology pharmacy in particular has appealed to me. As I've been researching the field, I have seen many members advising against going into pharmacy because of "degree mill" universities and oversaturation in retail. I know that if I went into oncology pharmacy, I would be working in a more clinical setting (like a hospital or cancer center) and I would more specialized (after residency programs). To me, it seems that this would limit the competition when applying for jobs, however I am still concerned about the job's outlook for the future.

Is oncology pharmacy truly as overpopulated and competitive as retail pharmacy seems to be?
If so, what are some other careers in oncology that would allow me to carry out similar daily tasks (going on rounds, advising patients, cancer treatment, etc)? Oncology is definitely my preference, but I have also looked into other fields like dentistry/orthodontics and PT. I have also considered becoming a medical oncologist. Would any of these fields be more practical?

Of course, I know that any medical field is going to be very competitive, my main concern is the issue of oversaturation that seems to be prevalent in retail pharmacy.

Regardless of what medical field I'm going into, I am currently planning to get my bachelors in biology (cellular/molecular if the college offers it) and I do not mind how many years of further education the career would require. Thank you to anyone who can help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should definitely ask this in the pre pharm forum here. You'll get more help there.

It also seems like you want to have a role like a physician. So why not do that ?

Reactions: 1 users
What you decide to pursue should depend on your aptitudes and your interest more than the job market. If you want to treat Oncology patients, medicine or nursing is the way to go. Each career has several paths to get there. Doctors can be Medical Oncologists (a sub-specialty of internal medicine), surgeons that do fellowships in Oncology, including OB/Gyns, Radiation Oncologists, or GP-Oncologists that start out as a family doctors. There are specialty Oncology nurses, and NPs (nurse practitioners) that work in Oncology and are valued members of the team.

I'll have to check with my wife (she's a Med Onc), but I'm not sure Oncology-Pharmacy has that much clinical care. Regular Pharmacists certainly deal with clients directly. As far as the job market goes, that's rapidly changing with the new targeted biologic therapies. By the time you enter practice in whatever field you decide, oncology will be different than it is today.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What you decide to pursue should depend on your aptitudes and your interest more than the job market. If you want to treat Oncology patients, medicine or nursing is the way to go. Each career has several paths to get there. Doctors can be Medical Oncologists (a sub-specialty of internal medicine), surgeons that do fellowships in Oncology, including OB/Gyns, Radiation Oncologists, or GP-Oncologists that start out as a family doctors. There are specialty Oncology nurses, and NPs (nurse practitioners) that work in Oncology and are valued members of the team.

I'll have to check with my wife (she's a Med Onc), but I'm not sure Oncology-Pharmacy has that much clinical care. Regular Pharmacists certainly deal with clients directly. As far as the job market goes, that's rapidly changing with the new targeted biologic therapies. By the time you enter practice in whatever field you decide, oncology will be different than it is today.

Hi, thank you very much for your response, it's very helpful. Medical oncology is definitely what I am most interested in, especially with the current research and development in genetically targeted treatments and immunotherapy. I'm guessing that as these advancements begin to define their role in standard cancer treatment, the field of oncology will expand.

I just want to be especially cautious and ensure that I have a backup plan in case I do not get accepted into medical school. Right now I'm thinking that I will plan for med school, then reevaluate later in collage based on my GPA and my medical experience. I'm registered to volunteer at a hospital this summer, so hopefully having a little experience working in a clinical setting will offer me more opportunities to volunteer and shadow doctors early on in college. I can't predict my GPA, although I do know that I need at least a 3.8 for the UMB School of Medicine (the medical school I would be most likely to attend -- good ranking, in state, and more realistic than Hopkins). I know that after med school I must complete a residency in internal medicine, do you know how difficult it is to secure a residency in this field in comparison to other specialties?

Hi, thank you very much for your response, it's very helpful. Medical oncology is definitely what I am most interested in, especially with the current research and development in genetically targeted treatments and immunotherapy. I'm guessing that as these advancements begin to define their role in standard cancer treatment, the field of oncology will expand.

I just want to be especially cautious and ensure that I have a backup plan in case I do not get accepted into medical school. Right now I'm thinking that I will plan for med school, then reevaluate later in collage based on my GPA and my medical experience. I'm registered to volunteer at a hospital this summer, so hopefully having a little experience working in a clinical setting will offer me more opportunities to volunteer and shadow doctors early on in college. I can't predict my GPA, although I do know that I need at least a 3.8 for the UMB School of Medicine (the medical school I would be most likely to attend -- good ranking, in state, and more realistic than Hopkins). I know that after med school I must complete a residency in internal medicine, do you know how difficult it is to secure a residency in this field in comparison to other specialties?

Internal Medicine isn't normally a competitive residency, but specific programs (Ivy League schools) will almost certainly be. Med Onc is not a competitive sub-specialty. You've got a very long way to go before worrying about that, however. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user