OMFS Research Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalABCs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I had a great opportunity this past year to be published twice (as 3rd and 2nd author). The research is about osteogenesis in the condyle and how it can lead to TMD. My main concern, however, is that the post-doc (Phd) that I worked under was recently promoted and moved to the orthodontics department.

Would this look bad when applying to OMFS residencies now that the first author in the publication is an assistant professor in the orthodontics department? The PI is not associated with any specialty program, but rather the graduate biomedical sciences department for mineralized tissue.

I am worried that the research under an ortho faculty might give the impression that I was flip-flopping between specialties and not dedicated to OMFS (as I know it is important to show).

Side note: we do not have active omfs research at my dental school. Despite the post-doc being in the ortho department, the main focus of research is on mandibular fracture repair (& growth factors) and TMJ development/disorder.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I had a great opportunity this past year to be published twice (as 3rd and 2nd author). The research is about osteogenesis in the condyle and how it can lead to TMD. My main concern, however, is that the post-doc (Phd) that I worked under was recently promoted and moved to the orthodontics department.

Would this look bad when applying to OMFS residencies now that the first author in the publication is an assistant professor in the orthodontics department? The PI is not associated with any specialty program, but rather the graduate biomedical sciences department for mineralized tissue.

I am worried that the research under an ortho faculty might give the impression that I was flip-flopping between specialties and not dedicated to OMFS (as I know it is important to show).

Side note: we do not have active omfs research at my dental school. Despite the post-doc being in the ortho department, the main focus of research is on mandibular fracture repair (& growth factors) and TMJ development/disorder.

Sounds like a great research opportunity. I don't think it'll look bad because this research is better than no research. From what I've gathered doing research with an orthodontist is not something that will prevent you from getting an interview. However, if the ortho question does arise during your interview you can simply give the explanation that you have provided here.

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt anyone will look close enough to care. Plus I can't see anyone caring anyways. You good

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

They will see your publications on your cv and that can only help not harm you. I don't think anyone is going to research the other people on your publications to make sure they're oral surgeons... that's ridiculous.

thx everyone! I really appreciate the response. Puts me at ease a lot.

@TooMuchSoup Don't listen to people on here telling you research doesn't matter for OMFS. Most programs require you to do research to some degree and get an AAOMS poster or a journal publication out of it. If you have publications, it very much matters and puts you ahead of the game. The vast majority of people applying don't have papers, so def be proud of your accomplishment, regardless of department. When people say research doesn't matter, they are referring to the typical summer research project that might at best get you a poster at your dental school, not 2 peer-reviewed manuscripts. Way to go dude

@TooMuchSoup Don't listen to people on here telling you research doesn't matter for OMFS. Most programs require you to do research to some degree and get an AAOMS poster or a journal publication out of it. If you have publications, it very much matters and puts you ahead of the game. The vast majority of people applying don't have papers, so def be proud of your accomplishment, regardless of department. When people say research doesn't matter, they are referring to the typical summer research project that might at best get you a poster at your dental school, not 2 peer-reviewed manuscripts. Way to go dude
Lol no one here said it doesn't matter... most residencies have a big research component and require publication during the program so of course it's helpful to have publications(real journals not bs summer projects like you said) on your cv. I just said no one is going to care that it wasn't purely omfs.

Lol no one here said it doesn't matter... most residencies have a big research component and require publication during the program so of course it's helpful to have publications(real journals not bs summer projects like you said) on your cv. I just said no one is going to care that it wasn't purely omfs.
Yeah I wasn't directing my comment at you. But I keep seeing on this site people in other forums saying research doesn't matter for OMFS. They don't know what they're talking about.