OMFS in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikaboo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was wondering since in the states they require you to do CBSE basically and get a high score coupled with the NDBE and ECs (internship externship letters and publications) what do they 6 OMFS programs require which are in Canada ? Do I still do the CBSE ? Does it matter where I graduate if I finish their IDP and get the Canadian DDD/ DMD? Thanks.

•_• hi •_•

Members don't see this ad.

The issue there are only 6 dental schools in Canada and most of them do not do 6 years programs so that's the issue where i cannot find information unfortunately :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought most of them actually ARE 6 yr programs...
UWO, McGill, Dalhousie and Laval are all 6 yrs where as Manitoba and UoT are 4 yrs...

Reactions: 1 user
I just checked the NDEB website very hard to navigate jeez you are correct tho still 6. When you compare that to how many dental schools in the states ... yea you get the idea

•_• hi •_•

Totally, which is why the best bet for Canadians is probably down south...
But even that I am not too sure esp when so many programs have turned away from Canadian applicants this year and previous years (gone are good programs like UMich, UAB, Vanderbilt...)
Oh well, I am applying this year and see just how hard it is for us Canucks to land an interview...fingers MASSIVELY crossed for sure

Totally, which is why the best bet for Canadians is probably down south...
But even that I am not too sure esp when so many programs have turned away from Canadian applicants this year and previous years (gone are good programs like UMich, UAB, Vanderbilt...)
Oh well, I am applying this year and see just how hard it is for us Canucks to land an interview...fingers MASSIVELY crossed for sure

Not sure which Southern programs you are referring too, but at least to my knowledge, none of the Texas schools have taken any residents outside of the U.S.A. recently
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Edit: I just looked at Parkland's website. They do accept Canadian dental students, but that student must be a U.S. citizen/resident.

Not sure which Southern programs you are referring too, but at least to my knowledge, none of the Texas schools have taken any residents outside of the U.S.A. recently
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Edit: I just looked at Parkland's website. They do accept Canadian dental students, but that student must be a U.S. citizen/resident.

You are right... I didn't go in length to list every program in TX that doesn't take Canadians. Notice the key words are "recent change".
UMich produced the OMFS PD in McGill, Montreal.
UAB was never explicitly talking about not accepting Canadian until this year.
One of my buddy is in Vanderbilt, and he may very well be the last Canadian (at least for this year)...

Down in TX though, which are definitely some of the strongest programs, only UT Houston takes Canadian. I know someone there who is Canadian, and in fact, they reserve a 4-yr spot for Canadian military candidate every year. Definitely would be thrilled if I get matched there.

So don't worry about being the bearer of bad news, I have known this situation for quite sometimes... :)

Edit: ah..I see where the confusion came from. Well, down south as in south of the BORDER speaking as a Canadian

Last edited:
Damn. Well do they have issues with us as Canadians or our dental education or our boards. I mean I did research and shadowing dentists in Canada currently plus I put my best when studying for the CBSE and I am sure I can get a good enough score. I don't get what's their issue!?!? we are nice people ... I swear

•_• hi •_•

Places that DEFINITELY take Canadian citizens/DMD graduates:

UMaryland
UConn
UPenn
UMich
Mount Sinai
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
Indiana University
LIJ 4 year only
UIC
Emory
MGH
Montefiore
Rochester

Not exhaustive.

UMaryland
UConn
UPenn
UMich
Mount Sinai
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
Indiana University
LIJ 4 year only
UIC
Emory
MGH
Montefiore
Rochester

Not exhaustive.

U Mich loves them Canucks. Program Director is from the Great North.

UMaryland
UConn
UPenn
UMich
Mount Sinai
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
Indiana University
LIJ 4 year only
UIC
Emory
MGH
Montefiore
Rochester

Not exhaustive.

Actually it would have been awesome if UMich can take Canadians. They don't anymore due to influence from med school. (Same scenario like UW in Seattle, ever since they switched to 6 yrs no more Canadian citizens are admitted. Another friend of mine was the last 4 yr there…)

And also I'm not sure about UIC, I rmb checking their website and PASS info of out and it was a morning at that time. Maybe situations have changed.

Otherwise the list seems pretty good.
I'll upload my list once I get to my computer.

Lol
Damn. Well do they have issues with us as Canadians or our dental education or our boards. I mean I did research and shadowing dentists in Canada currently plus I put my best when studying for the CBSE and I am sure I can get a good enough score. I don't get what's their issue!?!? we are nice people ... I swear

•_• hi •_•
Lolll, it's nothing like that. Our educations are pretty parallel so that's not an issue. I think it has more to do with what the medical schools are willing to admit. Because you will see ALMOST ALL 4 yr programs would be willing to take Canadians, but only a few of the 6 yrs r open to us.
What the rationale is behind medical school not admitting foreign applicants I am not quite sure, maybe someone with deeper insight can tell us why. I just know that's what it is…

UMaryland
UConn
UPenn
UMich
Mount Sinai
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
Indiana University
LIJ 4 year only
UIC
Emory
MGH
Montefiore
Rochester

Not exhaustive.

Lol so my hope was up for UMich thinking I may be misinformed, or my memory could be tainted.... NOPE...
No UMich for Canadian unless you are also an US PR or having a H-1B visa which we know only has 60K quota per year.... good luck with that.

University of Michigan / Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

And for UIC, too: University of Illinois at Chicago / Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Oh well, but here's a list of schools that I am going to apply.... the number 4 means it's a 4-yr program:
I didn't look into lots of other 4 yr programs mentioned above because my aim first is any 6 yr program, then a very intense 4 yr program with a good flavour of all kinds of surgeries... and as far as I know and from what I can gather, the following 4 yr programs fit the profile. If anyone has any info on what 4 yr programs are also intense in that regard, please enlighten me. Thx!

Washington Hospital Centre (4)
Christiana (4)
U of F Jacksonville
Emory University

Carle (4)
Cook county (4)
U of Kentucky
U of Maryland
MGH + Harvard
St John's
Detroit Receiving
Mayo Clinic
Mount Sinai BI / Jacobi / Albert Einstein College of Med
Columbia/NY Presbyterian Hospital
Mount Sinai, Icahn school of medicine
UNC
Thomas Jefferson
UPenn
U of Tennessee
UT Houston

Lol so my hope was up for UMich thinking I may be misinformed, or my memory could be tainted.... NOPE...
No UMich for Canadian unless you are also an US PR or having a H-1B visa which we know only has 60K quota per year.... good luck with that.

University of Michigan / Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

And for UIC, too: University of Illinois at Chicago / Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Oh well, but here's a list of schools that I am going to apply.... the number 4 means it's a 4-yr program:
I didn't look into lots of other 4 yr programs mentioned above because my aim first is any 6 yr program, then a very intense 4 yr program with a good flavour of all kinds of surgeries... and as far as I know and from what I can gather, the following 4 yr programs fit the profile. If anyone has any info on what 4 yr programs are also intense in that regard, please enlighten me. Thx!

Washington Hospital Centre (4)
Christiana (4)
U of F Jacksonville
Emory University

Carle (4)
Cook county (4)
U of Kentucky
U of Maryland
MGH + Harvard
St John's
Detroit Receiving
Mayo Clinic
Mount Sinai BI / Jacobi / Albert Einstein College of Med
Columbia/NY Presbyterian Hospital
Mount Sinai, Icahn school of medicine
UNC
Thomas Jefferson
UPenn
U of Tennessee
UT Houston
Hey! how'd it go? did you ever end up getting into any 4 or 6 year OMFS programs in the states?