Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is kept very separate from the real classes. It is pushed by the handful of OMM professors but I think most of the other professors don't believe in it or don't care enough to incorporate it at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So you would say it is stressed less than most other schools?
In my experience yes, however I know RVU didn't stress it as much either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the minority on this thinking - but I feel pretty strongly that you should not attend a D.O. school if you have no interest in OMM/OMT. I actually believe in it and use it all the time with friends and family members who have told me it has made a difference in their lives. Not everything you learn is something you will use in practice, but a lot of the stuff you learn is very applicable to everyday life and patient care.

Our school offers the 1 hour of lecture + 2 hours of lab a week, and in my opinion that is plenty of in-class time to learn the material well (provided you spend time outside of that to review and practice). A lot of our classmates have no interest in practicing or using OMM in their practices so they don't do this review - which may hurt them come COMLEX time.

Long story short, some schools do more than us and others do less. But don't apply to a D.O. school without at least some interest in OMM and/or an open mind.

As a quick side note - I spoke with an anesthesiologist and asked him if he still uses OMM now that he's completed his school and residency. He said that while he may not use OMM in the manipulative sense, the skills he learned regarding palpation and how the parts of the body interact with each other make him more confident than his colleagues. He says because he attended a D.O. school he feels more comfortable and confident doing spinal taps and other procedures. So regardless of specialty, OMM is useful and you shouldn't knock it just because you don't want to work in a clinic doing manipulation all day.

*steps off soap box*

Reactions: 7 users
Well I definitely commend your passion for it. I am absolutely open to it. I just want to make sure I understand what it is about. I, like I am sure many others, have heard some questioning things about it. But obviously I have also heard some passionate statements regarding it (see above ;) ). I am a very hands-on person and can appreciate things like what that anesthesiologist said about being more confident with procedures - which I am assuming is because he is more familiar with the body in a hands-on way vs. simple textbook/photograph understanding. As a registered rad tech, my job is very hands-on with patients, palpating and positioning patients regularly (and seeing how that translates visually to an x-ray/CT/MR).
Really I guess my first question was just trying to determine if lectures are all going to turn back to OMM. As in, it being purveyed as a cure-all?

Answer is no. The only time we here about OMM is in OMM lecture or lab.

Also, you will find there are some things about OMM that are not questionable at all and are common practice in sports medicine and other broad areas of healthcare. However, there are some head scratchers that many do not like.

Basically in short I would say, OMM is not a huge part of the curriculum so it will not affect you much if you don't plan to use it. But, you should respect it and you should respect that it can and does do great things for people.

Example, my wife works at a clinic where a DO practices (but doesnt regularly do OMM) she has had a really bad shoulder lately from her work outs, and she was telling the DO about it. He did a few things, and her range of motion and flexibility were instantly better, and her pain was gone.

Been off for a while, glad to say I will be attending OSU in the fall! :) Nice to remember powerlifter from ASD! Anyone know what the June ASD will be like compared to the first? Also, is anyone on the FB page and able to invite others? I emailed admissions about it a few weeks ago and they said the student coordinators would be on it.

Reactions: 1 users
Been off for a while, glad to say I will be attending OSU in the fall! :) Nice to remember powerlifter from ASD! Anyone know what the June ASD will be like compared to the first? Also, is anyone on the FB page and able to invite others? I emailed admissions about it a few weeks ago and they said the student coordinators would be on it.

Pretty sure the accepted students day are the same! however, this time Tandy *should be done if I am not mistaken.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Admitted Student Day is June 24th. If you've been accepted, email Lindsey or Sarah and they should be able to fill you in more.

Yeah. It's just, I have to get accepted first. Have you heard of any movement from the waitlist?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got accepted off the waitlist into the MS/DO degree! So excited to meet some of you soon!

Reactions: 5 users
:clap:

Got accepted today off the waitlist (interviewed 3/10), straight DO program. Cannot express in words how excited I am!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
God accepted today off the waitlist today (interviewed 3/10), straight DO program. Cannot express in words how excited I am!!
I am happy to hear it!

So, I have been on the waitlist since March 02 2017, and still have not heard anything, I sent several update letters and intent letters, I am out of state but I was wondering if I should give up or if there is still hope, this school is my dream school and I loved everything about it. Opinions are appreciated!

So, I have been on the waitlist since March 02 2017, and still have not heard anything, I sent several update letters and intent letters, I am out of state but I was wondering if I should give up or if there is still hope, this school is my dream school and I loved everything about it. Opinions are appreciated!
Still hope. I'm pretty sure they are still doing interviews or they recently wrapped up. They are still making some decisions. There were people accepted until the week before orientation last year.

Definitely still hope. They don't even make the final wait list until June so technically you're just "deferred" until they wrap up with interviews. I'm lucky; I only spent 2 weeks on the wait list but I'm definitely in the minority. I'm sure a lot of people will choose OU over OSU and the waitlist doesn't move until end of April. Don't give up! Half the class comes from the waitlist, myself included

do they rank people on waitlist or is it a pool where they randomly draw?

I was told there was no ranking for the waitlist. So I assume they just review everyone once more? Wouldn't that take quite a bit of time though?

I was told there was no ranking for the waitlist. So I assume they just review everyone once more? Wouldn't that take quite a bit of time though?
are they still conducting interviews?

Like the randomly take people waitlisted out of a pool?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's neither numerically ranked but nor is it totally random. From my understanding if they need to pull from the waitlist, all applicant files are reviewed again and the best fit is offered the spot. This is why they encourage constant updates to your file to continually become more competitive. So as you get more shadowing or find other volunteer experiences, email Sarah!

Reactions: 2 users
I know some people asked but there was never really a lead answer, so bare with me. But what do people recommend surface pro or MacBook? And why. Thanks!

I know some people asked but there was never really a lead answer, so bare with me. But what do people recommend surface pro or MacBook? And why. Thanks!

Macbook. Cause its better!

I got accepted off the waitlist!!! Received the call 20 minutes ago. So excited!

Interviewed 2/24. Waitlisted 3/2

I just got the acceptance call!!!! So excited to be coming back home to Oklahoma :)

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats everyone!!! Excited to meet everyone.

I got accepted off the waitlist!!! Received the call 20 minutes ago. So excited!

Interviewed 2/24. Waitlisted 3/2
Dude congrats man, do you mind sharing your stats

I got accepted off the waitlist yesterday morning around 0930!
Interviewed - 4/09
Waitlisted - 4/21
3.09GPA, 509MCAT

What comes in the diagnostic kit the school gives you? Is there a stethoscope in there? (Or do we even need one yet?)

What comes in the diagnostic kit the school gives you? Is there a stethoscope in there? (Or do we even need one yet?)

you get a stethoscope at the first year banquet thing. Don't buy any medical equipment because they give you all of it.

you get a stethoscope at the first year banquet thing. Don't buy any medical equipment because they give you all of it.

What equipment does the school give you besides the stethoscope? Out of curiosity.