Oklahoma OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Concepcion10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have updates on Oklahoma’s OMFS program? I read through the OMS overview posts and they seem to be outdated.

Scope?
Numbers? Both for applying applicants statistics and procedures performed
Etc.

I involved in craniofacial development research at my school and training with Dr. Smith seems very advantageous for my future goals.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I went on 14 interviews and this was my #2 rank. I loved the program. Dr. Smith was a really down-to-earth guy and if you were interested in craniofacial, I think he would be great to learn from. I don't remember specific numbers, but I know that he did more than 300 primary CL&P closures last year. I externed there and felt like it was a great experience and great program. Good group of residents as well.

Nice new clinic setup and nice faculty practice where residents run anesthesia. It took a long time for me to decide whether this was my #1 or #2 and I still question if this was the right decision. They only interviewed 15 for 3 spots so I think they know they will be ranked highly by everyone there.

Sorry I can't be more help. Definitely worth an externship out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Oklahoma program just completed its final phase of a complete renovation of the clinics and adding a new conference room and library. Over the last two years $700,000 has been spent on resident and student clinics.

The program does about 950-1000 OR cases per year and has a very busy resident outpatient clinic for dentoalveolar and implant procedures. About 200 cases per year are trauma split among the part-ime faculty.

Sullivan and Smith do about 250 cases each per year. Sullivan does about 100 two jaws per year and another 50 TMJ cases per year. Usually 50-60 arthoplasties and 10 total joints per year. Sullivan has an orthosurg clinic in Tulsa as well as his private practice in OKC.

Smith does 200 plus cleft procedures per year and 20 or so two jaws. The cleft practice is so busy it supports a Fellow. Smith has teams in OKC ad Tulsa and he owns clefts in Oklahoma. There is a private practice rotation ath Baptist hospital which comprises the rest of the case load.

I dont have detailed info about the program ( sorry) but when I was at another program in south, residents and attendings spoke highly of this program. Some said its the "best" 4-yr program, whatever that meant to the ppl who said it. As far as I understood, the program is not skewed ( not entirely trauma, not entirely dentoalveolar, not entirely craniofacial) but a very balanced combination of all. "A rather better 4-yr program for craniofacial and orthognatic in addition to more common procedures" according to one attending. Hope it helped.

Oklahoma has just recruited Paul Tiwana, DDS MD, Program Director at Parkland to their program. This will add further to their depth in craniofacial and trauma. Smith is already doing over 200 cleft procedures and Sullivan is doing 300 osteotomies and another 75 TMJ procedures. Word on the street is there will be a dental implant center in 18 months

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely one of the better omfs programs out there.

Last edited: