Official WAMC thread for EM applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I was in a very similar position to you
I applied to almost every ER program, and I sent emails to all of the programs I was interested in that were also on the low-mid level
I then did multiple away and made sure that I was making a good impression
I ended up getting into a great residency that I did one of my away at

You will be fine if you play it smart, especially with that awesome step 2

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to almost every ER program, and I sent emails to all of the programs I was interested in that were also on the low-mid level

I think this is the perfect blueprint to follow. This gives below average applicants the best shot at getting into an EM residency.

With that said, the original poster was especially looking at academic places. I'm just not sure if I would risk doing aways at academic places.

I think this is the perfect blueprint to follow. This gives below average applicants the best shot at getting into an EM residency.

With that said, the original poster was especially looking at academic places. I'm just not sure if I would risk doing aways at academic places.

Thank you. I will certainly be applying very broadly. It was never my intention to apply to a few competitive, prestigious programs. I understand that my Step I is my pitfall, so I will applying to over 100 programs this Fall...in hopes of landing an ER residency.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

What did you generally say in the emails you sent those programs to show interest?

What did you generally say in the emails you sent those programs to show interest?

I basically just introduced myself and where I go to medical school
I told them why I was interested in their program specifically, and that I was looking forward to hearing from them

My email was pretty professional and spent a decent amount of time to write the first draft, but after that I was able to switch it around based on the program I was sending it to

I told them why I was interested in their program specifically

Cant stress this enough if you find yourself in the position trying to secure interviews by directly corresponding with programs. Every year, programs get inundated with candidates sending generic emails that we know are just copied and pasted and sent to every program in the country. Too be honest, I gotta think most people just delete them. The ones that are going to help are those that actually have a reason to make you think the person actually has genuine interest, as opposed to just being someone who is spamming 200 programs.

I always advise people that if they are emailing places to ask for consideration for interviews if they are initially screened out to make put something in the email very specific to that program as to why you are interested. Maybe a relative lives close geographically. Maybe you went to college close by. Maybe you have interest in a fellowship they have there. Maybe there are job opportunities for your significant other there. It doesn't matter what it is, just find something about the program or location that is specific, and put that in the email so people know you aren't just spamming them and that you took the time to have actual genuine interest, as opposed to just desperately contacting 200 programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi EM SDNers,

This is my first post, so I am hoping to get some constructive input on my chances.
Medical school: top 50
Graduate school: top tier program
Fellowship in Europe in Ethics

Preclinical grades: All P's
Clinical grades: 4 HPs

Step: 199
Step 2: 246

I understand that my Step I is a glaring deficit, but I have improved dramatically for Step II. I am really grateful for that.
Here's my scenario: I want to go into academic EM, so I am looking into 4-year research programs/5-year residency with research tracks.

Application: 4 different grants, did a project for the CDC, 2 papers in NEJM/Lancet, 2 abstracts, 5 publications/reports, 8 presentations/invited talks, invited as Keynote speaker at national conference, started a national movement around healthcare, currently working with a government on a international relations treaty related to health, etc.

I know that my application will stand-out, but I also know that my Step I might dramatically effect me. How do I approach this? I have mentors at Boston programs that are guiding me, but I am also kind of lost/scared.

Any suggestions? Strategies? Thank you!

You've totally got a shot. My Step 1 was just a few points higher, and my Step 2 a few points lower. I matched at a well-respected 4-year program that other SDN folks frequently mention on their rank lists. I'm also at a top 50 med school, but near the bottom of my class. Applied broadly to ~45 programs and received interview invites to almost half of them.

Here's my advice -- go to the EMRA site find and identify some programs that say they don't have a Step 1 cut off ("all applicants considered"). Preferably ones with name recognition and/or that you'd want to end up at. Aim high -- big names will open doors. Apply to 4th year clerkships at these programs. If you're not a great test taker (like me), try to target aways that either don't have final exams or place little emphasis on it. Useful tip -- if possible try to find ones that use the same EMR that your home institution uses.

On the first day, make sure at least one (if not more) of your scheduled shifts are with the PD or APD. Make friends with the other rotators and alert each other if someone drops a shift with a PD/APD and try to pick up that shift (but don't be a jerk about it -- be the person who makes sure all the rotators applying into EM get a fair share of high-impact shifts). Kick ass the entire month, but talk about how other people around you are kicking ass whenever possible (nurses, techs, other students, etc.), and never throw anyone under the bus. Try to arrange meetings with attendings doing research/projects in the areas you are interested in (read their bios before you start the rotation), or try to schedule shifts with them. Also, if you find a resident or attending you work well with, try to schedule more shifts with them. Be extra nice to the coordinator since you may be changing your schedule frequently in order to pick up the shifts you want. Don't swap a regular ED shift with a non-required EMS shift -- while fun, EMS shifts don't really count in your SLOE/grade.

Repeat. And if you can, repeat and repeat again (even if it's October or November). I'm fairly certain that getting multiple strong SLOEs pretty much negated my poor Step 1 score, and got me interview offers at places that shocked both me and my advisor. I received "we're ranking you highly" emails from all my aways and matched at my favorite among them. YMMV.

Finally, don't neglect your personal statement, and use it to address your Step 1 if you can. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Changed the name since I've put enough info on here to identify me over the years.

State school in the South, not considered flagship state medical school.
Pre-clinical: Passed everything, mostly C's.
Clinical: A's in peds/obgyn. B's in the other clerkships.
Step 1: 211
Step 2: TBD

Significantly non-trad, married with kids, worked in ED prior to medical school. Would like to stay at home institution, if possible (school age kids, spouse has a job here). My advisor/dept chair is recommending me have a back-up specialty (probably FM) just in case I don't match. I have applied to 4 away rotations on VSAS and all but one have gotten back to me that they denied my application.

What do I do? What if I don't get an away rotation? Does that kill my chances of EM?

I basically went to med school to be an ER doc, end of story. I know I'm not the most competitive candidate but I don't have any true red flags other than my low Step 1.

Changed the name since I've put enough info on here to identify me over the years.

Significantly non-trad, married with kids, worked in ED prior to medical school. Would like to stay at home institution, if possible (school age kids, spouse has a job here). My advisor/dept chair is recommending me have a back-up specialty (probably FM) just in case I don't match. I have applied to 4 away rotations on VSAS and all but one have gotten back to me that they denied my application.

What do I do? What if I don't get an away rotation? Does that kill my chances of EM?

I basically went to med school to be an ER doc, end of story. I know I'm not the most competitive candidate but I don't have any true red flags other than my low Step 1.

Notmyrealone - I feel you. I am in the same boat. After months of thinking and gathering advice, here's my suggestions from different mentors/SDNers/PD's:

1.) Ace Step 2 CK. 240+ would really boost your chances. If you can do that, I think you are in a much better position

2.) Away rotations are key. I applied to over 10 institutions, listing 3 different choices (August - October), giving nearly 30 different possibilities. I just got into two, very competitive programs in NYC. The key to away rotations is to apply on Day 1, preferably within a couple of hours. I signed-up for alerts whenever VSAS opened and that helped me submit my application within 20-30 mins. There are institutions that are not open yet, i.e. Yale, BMC, etc. Apply to them as soon as they open. Your number one priority should be securing at least one away apart from your home institution.

3.) There are other institutions that do not use VSAS. I would consider applying to them as well, i.e. Mayo Clinic, NYP, Bellevue, etc. It doesn't hurt to apply at this point.

4.) Reach-out to programs that denied you and express interest anyway. It may be that they don't have a spot, but it doesn't hurt to try.

5.) ACE your away. It seems like SLOEs matter A LOT. If your SLOE is glowing, they will overlook your Step I, especially if your Step 2CK is above a 240.

6.) Network as much as you can. If you have a friend who matched in ED last year, reach-out to him or her to talk about their residency experience. When you do, ask them if they could introduce to other chief residents. And then ask the Chief residents if they could introduce you to the APD at their program. Ask your PD to introduce you to other faculty, etc. Don't be a brown-noser, but phrase it that you have a family and are considering your program...I would like to ask about the program, the local schools for my kids, etc. Build a level of friendship. It should help.

7.) Work on your Personal statement/ERAS CV.

8.) Apply broadly. In our cases, 70+ programs is ideal from what I have heard.

I hope that helps.

People with former ED experience prior to med school tend to stand out on their ED rotations, just because they are in a familiar environment have a better understanding of EM than someone who's first day working a shift in the ED is on their first audition rotation. So you have that going with you. And prior ED experience is always a positive on an application.

Board scores aren't great, but the importance of them for matching is over-stated. In 2016, the match data showed a 90% match rate in people with a step 1 score of 210-220. Board scores are nice, and they definitely open or close doors at some institution, but if your solitary goal is matching, this probably won't be a roadblock assuming you apply broadly and do well on your ED rotations and get two solid SLOEs.

Now that being said, beggars can't be choosers. If you didn't score well on boards and arent a top tier student at your school, you can't expect to match at a big name place. You may not match at your home institution depending on how competitive they are. But if you apply broadly, and target less competitive places, you should match somewhere. Yes this might mean having to move, and I get that is very stressful when you have a family. But in the end, you want to do EM and may have to make a sacrifice to do so.

So I really loved IM and still am considering IM--> Fellowship but after hearing a lot about EM, I can't see anything negative about it. The earning potential and residency length are phenomenal. The burnout can be attributed to the older demographic. My stats are ok/decent, but one huge obstacle is that I'm two months off-cycle.

Step 1 score: 252. I delayed my Step 1 2 months to get more time to study.
Year 1/2: No fails
Year 3: Honors Family, HP: Neuro, IM. Pass: OB/Psych. TBD: Peds/Surgery

The major obstacle is sheer timing. I am two months off cycle so the earliest I'll be free to study for CK is late September (unless I use these next two months of Peds to study for CK and bomb peds and take CK in July). Then there's the issue of not being able to do an EM-SUBI until October (unless I prioritize that above CK). Then finally, I haven't touched VSAS because all my IM mentors told me not to bother with it.

Just to give some more context, my app is completely tailored to IM and I made the decision to delay with IM in my mind. I have IM mentors/LORs, IM research projects, etc, was the coordinator of the IM interest group, etc.

So I really loved IM and still am considering IM--> Fellowship but after hearing a lot about EM, I can't see anything negative about it. The earning potential and residency length are phenomenal. The burnout can be attributed to the older demographic. My stats are ok/decent, but one huge obstacle is that I'm two months off-cycle.

Step 1 score: 252. I delayed my Step 1 2 months to get more time to study.
Year 1/2: No fails
Year 3: Honors Family, HP: Neuro, IM. Pass: OB/Psych. TBD: Peds/Surgery

The major obstacle is sheer timing. I am two months off cycle so the earliest I'll be free to study for CK is late September (unless I use these next two months of Peds to study for CK and bomb peds and take CK in July). Then there's the issue of not being able to do an EM-SUBI until October (unless I prioritize that above CK). Then finally, I haven't touched VSAS because all my IM mentors told me not to bother with it.

Just to give some more context, my app is completely tailored to IM and I made the decision to delay with IM in my mind. I have IM mentors/LORs, IM research projects, etc, was the coordinator of the IM interest group, etc.
You have the stats, but what you don't have is the EM experience yet. Without a SLOE you will be hard pressed to get any interview; though a >250 will help with your overall application. With a 252, Step 2CK is less important for most programs for the early interview invites. I'm not sure what flexibility you have with your schedule to change things, but you need a sub-I to both see if you actually like the practice of EM and to get a SLOE. Seeing if you like it is really important because while burnout is higher in older EM physicians, it is happening in younger EM physicians as well. You need to know what you are getting yourself into.

Would your school be at all amenable to letting you take an EM sub-I prior to Peds? It's worth looking into, even if the chances are slim. Since you have only "heard a lot about EM," and not experienced it first-hand, can you get exposure from scheduling "shadowing" shifts in the ED where you don't simply shadow, but actually see patients and work with residents/attendings?

Step 2 is much less important than SLOEs, especially with your solid Step 1 score. You would be better served taking your EM block in September, with an Away in October, followed by a late Step 2 in November. But, from my understanding (as a soon-to-be-MS4), you'll still be fighting an uphill battle because of the late SLOEs. Your Step 1 score helps somewhat, and EM will appreciate your IM research projects, but interviews without even 1 SLOE are hard to come by.

You should get on VSAS as soon as possible - Get your token, get your titers done and your immunization forms filled out, and look into programs that open on May 1. Submit applications to them as soon as they open and hope you hear back soon. The months you'd be looking for would hopefully not be in high demand. If you ultimately decide not to pursue EM, you can always cancel those Aways in a timely fashion, so applying on VSAS now would give you the most flexibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have the stats, but what you don't have is the EM experience yet. Without a SLOE you will be hard pressed to get any interview; though a >250 will help with your overall application. With a 252, Step 2CK is less important for most programs for the early interview invites. I'm not sure what flexibility you have with your schedule to change things, but you need a sub-I to both see if you actually like the practice of EM and to get a SLOE. Seeing if you like it is really important because while burnout is higher in older EM physicians, it is happening in younger EM physicians as well. You need to know what you are getting yourself into.
Would your school be at all amenable to letting you take an EM sub-I prior to Peds? It's worth looking into, even if the chances are slim. Since you have only "heard a lot about EM," and not experienced it first-hand, can you get exposure from scheduling "shadowing" shifts in the ED where you don't simply shadow, but actually see patients and work with residents/attendings?

Step 2 is much less important than SLOEs, especially with your solid Step 1 score. You would be better served taking your EM block in September, with an Away in October, followed by a late Step 2 in November. But, from my understanding (as a soon-to-be-MS4), you'll still be fighting an uphill battle because of the late SLOEs. Your Step 1 score helps somewhat, and EM will appreciate your IM research projects, but interviews without even 1 SLOE are hard to come by.

You should get on VSAS as soon as possible - Get your token, get your titers done and your immunization forms filled out, and look into programs that open on May 1. Submit applications to them as soon as they open and hope you hear back soon. The months you'd be looking for would hopefully not be in high demand. If you ultimately decide not to pursue EM, you can always cancel those Aways in a timely fashion, so applying on VSAS now would give you the most flexibility.

Thank you for both your prompt responses. What are your opinions regarding taking a 10 month LOA to get completely back on cycle, complete research projects, complete Step 2CK/S, and re-enter in June 2018 to start my EM SubI (with Step 2 complete). Would this be a red-flag on ERAS when I explain this situation in whatever space they give me?

Thank you for both your prompt responses. What are your opinions regarding taking a 10 month LOA to get completely back on cycle, complete research projects, complete Step 2CK/S, and re-enter in June 2018 to start my EM SubI (with Step 2 complete). Would this be a red-flag on ERAS when I explain this situation in whatever space they give me?

It's hard to say. Does ERAS give you a space to explain time off? (Edit: Further Googling indicates the answer is yes)

Just throwing this idea out there, not sure how feasible it is:

EM Sub-I in September, Away in October, Step 2 in November, apply SUPER broadly, and see how many interviews you end up with. If you get enough that you feel comfortable with your chances of matching (12ish), go through with this match cycle. If you don't get enough interviews, take a few-month-long research LOA and start again with more Aways in June 2018.

Maybe that's a terrible idea... Would be interested in what other people suggest for someone in your position.

Hey all,

Step 1: 260+
Gold Humanism Honor Society
Unsure on AOA or 3rd year honors (school doesn't make final decision until August)
Minimal research experience: 1 poster, working on a retrospective project that I hope will be manuscript ready by September

Finished home EM rotation in March with presumably positive SLOE and honors
EM Away rotation in the southeast for August
EM/IM away rotation in the mid-atlantic for September

Interested in EM > EM/IM at the moment, academics/leadership, and critical care. No regional preference, but I went to undergrad and med school in the southeast, and I have no ties to the west or northeast. Would it be silly to apply to California programs, Denver, or northeastern programs?

Is this a serious question?
Hey all,

Step 1: 260+
Gold Humanism Honor Society
Unsure on AOA or 3rd year honors (school doesn't make final decision until August)
Minimal research experience: 1 poster, working on a retrospective project that I hope will be manuscript ready by September

Finished home EM rotation in March with presumably positive SLOE and honors
EM Away rotation in the southeast for August
EM/IM away rotation in the mid-atlantic for September

Interested in EM > EM/IM at the moment, academics/leadership, and critical care. No regional preference, but I went to undergrad and med school in the southeast, and I have no ties to the west or northeast. Would it be silly to apply to California programs, Denver, or northeastern programs?

No, not at all. You can apply wherever, especially with your good Step 1. I applied from southeast and got interview offers from all regions. I would recommend tailoring your personal statements based on region. Most big programs value SLOES, scores, Med school, experience, and research (not necessarily in that order.) As long as you express interest in moving somewhere there is a chance they will interview you.
Nothing is guaranteed though, especially without an away in the region. I matched at one of my aways.

People with former ED experience prior to med school tend to stand out on their ED rotations, just because they are in a familiar environment have a better understanding of EM than someone who's first day working a shift in the ED is on their first audition rotation. So you have that going with you. And prior ED experience is always a positive on an application.

Board scores aren't great, but the importance of them for matching is over-stated. In 2016, the match data showed a 90% match rate in people with a step 1 score of 210-220. Board scores are nice, and they definitely open or close doors at some institution, but if your solitary goal is matching, this probably won't be a roadblock assuming you apply broadly and do well on your ED rotations and get two solid SLOEs.

Now that being said, beggars can't be choosers. If you didn't score well on boards and arent a top tier student at your school, you can't expect to match at a big name place. You may not match at your home institution depending on how competitive they are. But if you apply broadly, and target less competitive places, you should match somewhere. Yes this might mean having to move, and I get that is very stressful when you have a family. But in the end, you want to do EM and may have to make a sacrifice to do so.

And what if I'm unable to get an away rotation? I've applied to 5, rejected from 3 of them. I'd really like to keep it within 8 hours or so from home so I can at least come home a few times. But I don't want to limit myself at the expense of matching.

I'm not looking for some big name. I know I have no chance at a place like UTSW or Vandy or even UAB. I just want to match and be a GOOD ER doc. I'm relatively confident I'm a good candidate at my home institution.

And what if I'm unable to get an away rotation? I've applied to 5, rejected from 3 of them. I'd really like to keep it within 8 hours or so from home so I can at least come home a few times. But I don't want to limit myself at the expense of matching.

I'm not looking for some big name. I know I have no chance at a place like UTSW or Vandy or even UAB. I just want to match and be a GOOD ER doc. I'm relatively confident I'm a good candidate at my home institution.

If you are only applying to places within 8 hours of your home, and then worrying about why you are not getting aways, then i think the problem is with you sorting out your priorities. You should be applying to multiple places outside of the state youre in. I think you should be able to survive for one month without going home. But not getting an away because you were too narrow in your choices will not only hinder your application because you may not get a second SLOE, but it will also limit your options to how many interview invites you end up getting (due to geographical bias).

There are several programs that have openings in october and some in september. Best bet would be to cast a wider net. Its only 15 per application.

Email people. I was able to set up three aways by reaching out to someone in the program

Alright y'all - I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring!

DO M3 student at one of the top Osteopathic Universities (if such a thing exists). Also getting a concomitant MBA, if that matters.

Step 1 - 219
Step 2 - TBD (I'm busting my hump for 240+. Just took a practice test and got a 226 - 7 weeks out)
Not that it matters for an ACGME match, but I pretty well crushed COMLEX Level 1.

MS1/2 - Remediated the very first class of med school (friggin' sucked). All B/C's since then. Bottom half of the class.
MS3 - Straight P's. (My school doesn't have HP, only H/P/F). Pretty solid comments from preceptors all throughout the year.
MS4 - My school doesn't have a home institution, unfortunately. Got 1 audition at a decent midwestern academic program locked down right now for July. Got a ****-ton of apps out for August that I'm waiting on. AOA program in September. Oct/Nov TBD.

No publications. (Well, undergrad - but who cares about that...)

Gonna bust it hard on auditions - my strengths are for sure not in the books, but I think I actually perform pretty well on rotations. Good personality, easy to get along with, teachable attitude, I think I have pretty solid leadership qualities. EM specific abilities - can grow a rockin' beard.

I'm definitely applying IM as a back-up. I recognize I'm a below-average candidate, so don't wanna risk not matching. I think I should be able to match ACGME IM without too much trouble (and I actually really like IM too - not my top choice, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I ended up IM).

Alright - lemme have it.

Edit: Forgot to mention - originally from TX and would kind of like to end up back in the Promised Land. But definitely not a dealbreaker to go elsewhere.
You don't have the worse application in the world, but you certainly don't have the best. You need another away rotation, having only one SLOE is going to be a big problem but it sounds like you're waiting to hear back there. The fact that you're a DO and not an IMG is the big thing keeping you in the game. That said, if you're set on EM, I'd apply to programs as if you were an IMG (read: apply very broadly).

If you are looking at applying ACGME, I'd hit applying to all the former aoa programs that are now acgme really hard. If you get good sloes because you really are good clinically, there's a good chance you'll match in EM. SLOES are the big determining factor.

Cant stress this enough if you find yourself in the position trying to secure interviews by directly corresponding with programs. Every year, programs get inundated with candidates sending generic emails that we know are just copied and pasted and sent to every program in the country. Too be honest, I gotta think most people just delete them. The ones that are going to help are those that actually have a reason to make you think the person actually has genuine interest, as opposed to just being someone who is spamming 200 programs.

I always advise people that if they are emailing places to ask for consideration for interviews if they are initially screened out to make put something in the email very specific to that program as to why you are interested. Maybe a relative lives close geographically. Maybe you went to college close by. Maybe you have interest in a fellowship they have there. Maybe there are job opportunities for your significant other there. It doesn't matter what it is, just find something about the program or location that is specific, and put that in the email so people know you aren't just spamming them and that you took the time to have actual genuine interest, as opposed to just desperately contacting 200 programs.

What do you put in the subject line in these emails to avoid having your email go straight to the trash...? (probably the hardest part of writing emails for me.. :/)

What do you put in the subject line in these emails to avoid having your email go straight to the trash...? (probably the hardest part of writing emails for me.. :/)

I went with a simple and straightforward "Interest in ___ residency program." Resulted in interview invites for 5 out of 8 emails, and I received a reply that someone had at least read the email 7/8 times. I agree that personalizing why you are interested in each specific program is key (I didn't send any generic spam emails, I only contacted programs I was truly excited about, so the emails pretty much wrote themselves!)

Terrible Step 1, wondering what my chances are.

-T-20 medical school
-Step 1 210-215
-3rd year grades: 5 Honors 2 HPs (honors in Med and Surg)
-Step 2 255-260
-top 1/2 or 1/4 of class on Dean's letter
-EM rotations H/H/H
-Currently on off time, unrelated
-Extracurrics average, one 1st author, 1 poster presentation
-Strong SLOEs according to mentor

How much is this Step score going to F me?

Terrible Step 1, wondering what my chances are.

-T-20 medical school
-Step 1 210-215
-3rd year grades: 5 Honors 2 HPs (honors in Med and Surg)
-Step 2 255-260
-top 1/2 or 1/4 of class on Dean's letter
-EM rotations H/H/H
-Currently on off time, unrelated
-Extracurrics average, one 1st author, 1 poster presentation
-Strong SLOEs according to mentor

How much is this Step score going to F me?

There's a 90% match rate in the range that contains your Step 1 score, per Charting Outcomes: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf

The rest of your application is solid, but your time off may be a red flag. How broadly are you planning to apply?

There's a 90% match rate in the range that contains your Step 1 score, per Charting Outcomes: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf

The rest of your application is solid, but your time off may be a red flag. How broadly are you planning to apply?
Maybe I am being hopeful in thinking that I am not a typical 210-215 person, so my question outside of match rate percentage is how many programs will I be screened out of? Are big programs out of the question? I plan to apply everywhere.

Maybe I am being hopeful in thinking that I am not a typical 210-215 person, so my question outside of match rate percentage is how many programs will I be screened out of? Are big programs out of the question? I plan to apply everywhere.

You'll be fine. You may get screened out of some programs, but you'll match.

You'll be fine. You may get screened out of some programs, but you'll match.
Thanks for the reply. Would it be a waste though to apply to big programs? And how far back should I expect it to set me? Like no Denver, Cook, or Carolinas? Or no big academic centers?

Thanks for the reply. Would it be a waste though to apply to big programs? And how far back should I expect it to set me? Like no Denver, Cook, or Carolinas? Or no big academic centers?
On the EMRA website, there's a residency finder map that lets you search for programs that have listed Step 1 cut-offs. I remember Carolinas having one of the higher cut-offs. No idea how iron-clad that policy is, but it's worth looking at: EMRA Match

I will say, though, even if you're literally applying to every program, each additional application only costs $26: Fees for ERAS Residency Applications With that in mind, it's never much of a financial waste to load up on reach programs. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take, after all. Others may be able to set more specific expectations about the more competitive programs, but I say aim for the stars.

I have to ask, why is matching at one of those programs important to you? I'm not saying it shouldn't be important, but I'm approaching this application cycle with the intention of being very happy if I match to a middle-of-the-road program, and I'm wondering if I've missed some memo about why it would be particularly advantageous to go to a competitive program.

I have to ask, why is matching at one of those programs important to you? I'm not saying it shouldn't be important, but I'm approaching this application cycle with the intention of being very happy if I match
FTFY. Your post should have ended there.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get some feedback on my application and some input on scheduling details.

Medical School: DO
Pre-clinical: All honors
Class rank: Top 10%
Step 1: 250; Step 2: TBD
Year 3: Honors: Surgery, IM; HP: EM, ICU, Psych, Peds, FM, OB/Gyn
Research: 1 publication - oncology-epidemiology, 1 literature review - immunology
Extracurriculars: EM interest, IM interest, LGBT interest (President)

I'm currently scheduled to do a Step 2 study month for July, and have EM away rotations set up for August and September. But I'm wondering if I should be rearranging my schedule so that just take a week to study for Step 2 and scramble for an EM rotation in July instead?

I'm planning on applying broadly come application season, is there a decent chance of matching in the west coast?

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get some feedback on my application and some input on scheduling details.

Research: 1 publication - oncology-epidemiology, 1 literature review - immunology

I'm currently scheduled to do a Step 2 study month for July, and have EM away rotations set up for August and September. But I'm wondering if I should be rearranging my schedule so that just take a week to study for Step 2 and scramble for an EM rotation in July instead?

I'm planning on applying broadly come application season, is there a decent chance of matching in the west coast?
I think you'll match just fine. Do you have ties to the West Coast? I think a lot of your chances depend on if you're doing an away there/went to school there/have family there...also, I think you might have a hard time finding a rotation for July. It seems like most of the rotations were filled pretty fast. That said, your 250 might be enticing to some programs. haha...

Hey everyone,

You did very well on Step 1, do you think you would need a full month to study for step 2? What are you planning on doing for your third letter? Honestly I think three SLOEs (assuming they are all good) are better than two SLOEs and one traditional LOR. You could try to line up another away in July so you would have two SLOEs when you submit your app and a third coming in when the invites start rolling out. If you can only do those two rotations, and your away done in Sept will come back with your SLOE rather quickly, then it probably won't be that much of a hindrance as most programs (particularly on the west coast) are starting to send out their first round of interviews in mid-October and having one SLOE is enough for an interview invite. But to be in the best position possible, I would consider trying to arrange your schedule so you have two SLOEs when you submit your app. Do you have an away in the west coast?

Depending on the didactic structure of the away rotation, the EM months are not extremely busy. And Step 2 has a lot of EM relevant material. For most people all you really need to do is one pass through Uworld. But of course at the same time you don't want to bite off more than you can chew. In the end you have to know yourself and what you can handle. Obviously kicking ass during your aways is your number one priority, so if you are worried you can't perform well and study at the same time then it might be best to play it safe.

Just got my Step 1 score (239) and I'm curious what y'all think my chances are at west coast programs as a DO student. I know I still need an even better Step 2 score and solid SLOEs, but if any insight can be given, it'd be appreciated it. Some of the programs I'm wondering about are Davis, UCSF-Fresno, USC-LAC, UCLA Harbor, UCSD, Kaiser San Diego. Also, I'm from California.

Hello all, I've had a solid application plan and was feeling alright about my app but I just received my Step 2 score of 222 and I'm a bit shocked and worried now. Looking for a little honest assessment of what things might be looking like for me.

D.O. school, no red flags, no fails, first 2 years mostly A's with a few B's.
Third year mostly A's with a couple of B's and good comments, top third of class.
Step 1: 223, Comlex Level 1: 560
Comlex PE = Pass
Step 2: 222
No notable research or extracurriculars beyond non-traditional life experience and prior career.
Currently have 3 aways scheduled, July-September and working hard to earn the best SLOEs I can.

I was already planning on applying broadly and carefully but I was really hoping to show a solid improvement over my below average Step 1 score...clearly that didn't happen. Now I am a lot more concerned about my ability to match and starting to wonder if I should be applying to some backups. Any thoughts or advice from you fine people would be greatly appreciated.

Hello all, I've had a solid application plan and was feeling alright about my app but I just received my Step 2 score of 222 and I'm a bit shocked and worried now. Looking for a little honest assessment of what things might be looking like for me.

D.O. school, no red flags, no fails, first 2 years mostly A's with a few B's.
Third year mostly A's with a couple of B's and good comments, top third of class.
Step 1: 223, Comlex Level 1: 560
Comlex PE = Pass
Step 2: 222
No notable research or extracurriculars beyond non-traditional life experience and prior career.
Currently have 3 aways scheduled, July-September and working hard to earn the best SLOEs I can.

I was already planning on applying broadly and carefully but I was really hoping to show a solid improvement over my below average Step 1 score...clearly that didn't happen. Now I am a lot more concerned about my ability to match and starting to wonder if I should be applying to some backups. Any thoughts or advice from you fine people would be greatly appreciated.

You will almost certainly be fine. Make sure you target less competitive programs when it comes to applying. 220's is far from a terrible score, plenty match with lower scores.

You will almost certainly be fine. Make sure you target less competitive programs when it comes to applying. 220's is far from a terrible score, plenty match with lower scores.

Thanks for the input gamerEMdoc, that's very encouraging. Your continued presence on these boards is much appreciated.

What is the risk of doing away rotations at Academic Places? Stingy SLOE?

What is the risk of doing away rotations at Academic Places? Stingy SLOE?

OP stated "bad" step 1/2 and medical school grades. Academic places usually interview applicants with average or above average scores, so he'd be at a disadvantage. With OP's situation, he'll have the highest chance of matching at away rotations, so I suggested places that are not in desirable cities and not affiliated with prestigious/big names.

OP stated "bad" step 1/2 and medical school grades. Academic places usually interview applicants with average or above average scores, so he'd be at a disadvantage. With OP's situation, he'll have the highest chance of matching at away rotations, so I suggested places that are not in desirable cities and not affiliated with prestigious/big names.

Interesting. Would you say the same advice applies for someone with a red flag (administrative discipline)? FWIW, I used expletive language while complaining about an abusive resident and someone reported the expletive. Considered misconduct and a violation of Student Honor code for "disrespect towards staff". I fully take responsibility for this and have no qualms about discussing in my personal statement to address where it is coming from, just seems like a small offense to result in discipline. Should I likewise be strategic in selecting my away rotation? Step 1 > 240, haven't taken Step 2 yet.

Hi all, I just wanted to ask about my situation. I'll be couple's matching with my partner who is going into Psychiatry, so I'll be the weaker link. I figured it would be best to post here.

Top 40 US MD School for both of us. No red flags, time off, disciplinary action, failed courses, etc etc

Me (EM):
Step 1: 234
Step 2: 232
3rd year grades: All "B+" with one "B" in OBGYN. (This seems to be close to average for my class)
Was an EMT in college, continued assisting with emergency medical responder instruction into medical school. Otherwise, no research or leadership positions or anything like that. I will do 3 EM rotations and have completed one. I was told that my evaluations were positive.

Her (Psych):
Step 1: 213
Step 2: 256
3rd year grades: 3 As, 3 B+, 1 B

We plan to apply broadly. Specifically, I would like to know if I need to be planning to apply to another specialty as a backup. I know that couple's matching can be difficult, but I think my partner will be successful interviewing at most programs that choose to interview me.

Interesting. Would you say the same advice applies for someone with a red flag (administrative discipline)? FWIW, I used expletive language while complaining about an abusive resident and someone reported the expletive. Considered misconduct and a violation of Student Honor code for "disrespect towards staff". I fully take responsibility for this and have no qualms about discussing in my personal statement to address where it is coming from, just seems like a small offense to result in discipline. Should I likewise be strategic in selecting my away rotation? Step 1 > 240, haven't taken Step 2 yet.

I would take the same approach, but you may hear differently from others. The desirable EM places have seen their number of applications increase dramatically in the past 6-7 years. In 2010 the average # of apps submitted per applicant was 27, but increased to 48.6 in the 2017 cycle (and going up by roughly 10% every year). This means that applications to desirable programs have roughly doubled and they can be very picky in whom they select to interview. Also, most of these programs don't have time to go through all of the applicants, so they try to eliminate students with their Step 1 score, geography, red flags, etc. Therefore, I would take the same approach.

Hi all, I just wanted to ask about my situation. I'll be couple's matching with my partner who is going into Psychiatry, so I'll be the weaker link. I figured it would be best to post here.

Top 40 US MD School for both of us. No red flags, time off, disciplinary action, failed courses, etc etc

Me (EM):
Step 1: 234
Step 2: 232

3rd year grades: All "B+" with one "B" in OBGYN. (This seems to be close to average for my class)
Was an EMT in college, continued assisting with emergency medical responder instruction into medical school. Otherwise, no research or leadership positions or anything like that. I will do 3 EM rotations and have completed one. I was told that my evaluations were positive.

Her (Psych):
Step 1: 213
Step 2: 256
3rd year grades: 3 As, 3 B+, 1 B

We plan to apply broadly. Specifically, I would like to know if I need to be planning to apply to another specialty as a backup. I know that couple's matching can be difficult, but I think my partner will be successful interviewing at most programs that choose to interview me.

Based on your whole profile, you seem like a typical EM applicant in the average range. Your Step 2 score is 11 points lower than average, but this is the only slightly negative factor in your application. I would go on more EM interviews than doing interviews for a back up specialty.

2 very important factors for successful couples matching depend on which programs/regions you apply to and deciding which interviews to go on. I would apply to metros with a high density of programs, but concentrate especially on places that are not on top of a typical couple's wish list. For example, most couples will apply to the NYC area, Philly, Chicago, Boston, DC/Maryland, and San Fran, or LA. While these places have many programs, they're also on most couples' rank lists, making them more difficult matches. For EM (not sure about psych programs), there are some spots that are lower on someone's list which may prove to be helpful for your situation. Both Miami and Detroit have 6 or so programs in the area and NYC has a few non-Manhattan programs that are less competitive. Miami is especially a good spot because all the residencies are within 1-3 years old. I would be sure to apply to these locations to increase your chances of matching.

Edit - Also, to make life easier on yourself, please avoid applying to California programs (unless you're from the west coast) and programs that are either the top EM programs (Carolinas, Denver, LA County, etc) or affiliated with prestigious universities (Mass Gen, Hopkins, Yale, etc).

I would take the same approach, but you may hear differently from others. The desirable EM places have seen their number of applications increase dramatically in the past 6-7 years. In 2010 the average # of apps submitted per applicant was 27, but increased to 48.6 in the 2017 cycle (and going up by roughly 10% every year). This means that applications to desirable programs have roughly doubled and they can be very picky in whom they select to interview. Also, most of these programs don't have time to go through all of the applicants, so they try to eliminate students with their Step 1 score, geography, red flags, etc. Therefore, I would take the same approach.

I was planning on applying broadly, so this is refreshing to hear. Everyone wants to do EM in the desirable places - I want to be board eligible with ABEM. Send me to the middle of nowhere if that's what it takes, I understand it's competitive in general.

Do you think the red flag I am describing is a kiss of death for my match in EM? I like to think that having strong scores, strong SLOES may help mitigate the issue somewhat, but I could also be foolishly reassuring myself..

Allow me to add the full run-down of my application here:

Undergraduate: Ivy League
Graduate School: Master of Science, Physiology
Business School: Master of Business Administration (5 year MD/MBA)
Medical School: Top 40
Research: Summer research fellowship in transplantation medicine, Pedi EM poster at state medical conference.
Quartile Rank: 2nd Quartile
3rd Year Grades: mostly mid-80's, no clerkship failures
Step 1: 247
Step 2: N/A
SLOES = I will have two SLOEs when I submit ERAS

Other: Interesting personal story - enrolled in medical school while battling cancer, championed over it - fully in remission.

Business school research: emphasis on new venture feasibility in establishing free-standing EDs, operations management of trauma centers, the profitability of new ventures in privately owned (hospital corporation) urgent care centers.

Assistant (volunteer) instructor for ACLS course

Developed a point of care ultrasound curriculum, proposal for new course denied (but something interesting to bring with me to a residency program, I think, esp. if residency program doesn't offer student elective in it)

Last edited:
I was planning on applying broadly, so this is refreshing to hear. Everyone wants to do EM in the desirable places - I want to be board eligible with ABEM. Send me to the middle of nowhere if that's what it takes, I understand it's competitive in general.

Do you think the red flag I am describing is a kiss of death for my match in EM? I like to think that having strong scores, strong SLOES may help mitigate the issue somewhat, but I could also be foolishly reassuring myself..

Allow me to add the full run-down of my application here:

Undergraduate: Ivy League
Graduate School: Master of Science, Physiology
Business School: Master of Business Administration (5 year MD/MBA)
Medical School: Top 40
Research: Summer research fellowship in transplantation medicine, Pedi EM poster at state medical conference.
Quartile Rank: 2nd Quartile
3rd Year Grades: mostly mid-80's, no clerkship failures
Step 1: 247
Step 2: N/A
SLOES = I will have two SLOEs when I submit ERAS

Other: Interesting personal story - enrolled in medical school while battling cancer, championed over it - fully in remission.

Business school research: emphasis on new venture feasibility in establishing free-standing EDs, operations management of trauma centers, the profitability of new ventures in privately owned (hospital corporation) urgent care centers.

Assistant (volunteer) instructor for ACLS course

Developed a point of care ultrasound curriculum, proposal for new course denied (but something interesting to bring with me to a residency program, I think, esp. if residency program doesn't offer student elective in it)

Do you think the red flag I am describing is a kiss of death for my match in EM?

No, not at all. Based on what you provided, I expect you to match this year. While your red flag isn't that bad, I would fully explain it in your PS and own it. State you've learned from it and move on.

Without the red flag, you're an above average applicant. I'm sure many programs will give you an interview, but it's difficult to tell which ones will be put off by your violation.

What advice have you been given from your home program? Specifically how many programs will you be applying to, where to rotate, etc?

Do you think the red flag I am describing is a kiss of death for my match in EM?

No, not at all. Based on what you provided, I expect you to match this year. While your red flag isn't that bad, I would fully explain it in your PS and own it. State you've learned from it and move on.

Without the red flag, you're an above average applicant. I'm sure many programs will give you an interview, but it's difficult to tell which ones will be put off by your violation.

What advice have you been given from your home program? Specifically how many programs will you be applying to, where to rotate, etc?

At my institution, our EM advisor seems to only take on people who they think can match. That said, this person has been engaging with me, which I am happy about.

We haven't fleshed out which programs to apply to and where to do aways because I am doing my MBA right now. I'll do my away rotation in summer 2018. I'm limited to one away rotation right now because of the discipline that has been levied.

I'm personally torn between doing an away at a middle tier academic program with enough of a reputation for a good reach with the SLOE (Stony Brook, Monte) and a community program (Conemaugh, John Peter Smith, Good Sam Long Island) to really show who I am to a community hospital that I would be happy at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk