***Official University of Pittsburgh Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Has anyone's AADSAS status for Pitt been "under review". Mine has stayed "received/application complete" since 7/11.
The last correspondence I got from Pitt was an email titled "Application Complete/Fee Paid/Under Review" on 7/11.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
On their website, PITT mentions that the top ten percent of each class is eligible for a scholarship. Does anyone know for how much? Also, does anyone have an updated cost of allowance for PITT? Thank you!

Has anyone's AADSAS status for Pitt been "under review". Mine has stayed "received/application complete" since 7/11.
The last correspondence I got from Pitt was an email titled "Application Complete/Fee Paid/Under Review" on 7/11.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same

Interviewing on Oct. 31st! Everything was completed late July and I was notified of the interview invite last week.

On their website, PITT mentions that the top ten percent of each class is eligible for a scholarship. Does anyone know for how much? Also, does anyone have an updated cost of allowance for PITT? Thank you!
It was $2,000 when I was there.

On that note, I just graduated in May, so if anyone has any questions for someone that's been through the whole program feel free to ask here or message me!

On that note, I just graduated in May, so if anyone has any questions for someone that's been through the whole program feel free to ask here or message me!

I graduated from Pitt this past may too! Lol digging the name (undergrad that is)

Last edited:

Thanks for responding :) I really enjoyed my interview there. I was wondering if there are opportunities to get additional experience with endo, extractions, and crown/bridge during the third and fourth years? Do fourth year students get to do molar endo and 3rd molar extractions? Thank you, ps what residency are you doing?

Thanks for responding :) I really enjoyed my interview there. I was wondering if there are opportunities to get additional experience with endo, extractions, and crown/bridge during the third and fourth years? Do fourth year students get to do molar endo and 3rd molar extractions? Thank you, ps what residency are you doing?

Why didn't you ask these questions there...

Anyone have an airbnb/hotel booked for this weekend (saturday or sunday) that they'd be willing to split with a guy? My accommodations for the weekend fell out.

We have 10 required days of a program called SCOPE where you go to external sites and do dentistry. Depending on where you go, you can do additional endo and crowns. Most of those sites will have you do many extractions. Additionally, you can take selectives in endo and surgery. If you take the endo selective you will likely do molar endo, you will probably not have the opportunity to do so without it. If you take the oral surgery selective you can spend more time in the oral surgery clinic. I did lots of thirds that were erupted. Most of us didn't do thirds that required use of a drill though, in my experience residents did those cases. However, some of the guys that were very into surgery and spent a lot of time with the residents and attendings were able to do a lot more than the average student. Basically, if you spend enough time getting to know whoever is in charge of a department and proving you are knowledgeable then you can do a lot. There have been students in the last few graduating classes that even placed implants. I am currently doing an AEGD in Cincinnati.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have 10 required days of a program called SCOPE where you go to external sites and do dentistry. Depending on where you go, you can do additional endo and crowns. Most of those sites will have you do many extractions. Additionally, you can take selectives in endo and surgery. If you take the endo selective you will likely do molar endo, you will probably not have the opportunity to do so without it. If you take the oral surgery selective you can spend more time in the oral surgery clinic. I did lots of thirds that were erupted. Most of us didn't do thirds that required use of a drill though, in my experience residents did those cases. However, some of the guys that were very into surgery and spent a lot of time with the residents and attendings were able to do a lot more than the average student. Basically, if you spend enough time getting to know whoever is in charge of a department and proving you are knowledgeable then you can do a lot. There have been students in the last few graduating classes that even placed implants. I am currently doing an AEGD in Cincinnati.
Thank you so much for the in depth response to my questions! Pitt sounds great and I like the fact that a highly motivated student can gain additional experience to support their clinical interests :)

Anyone with an app COMPLETE in mid/late September get an invite?

Anyone get a call from a lady at Pitt? I missed it, wonder what it's about? Do they call to give you interviews for Pitt?

Anyone get a call from a lady at Pitt? I missed it, wonder what it's about? Do they call to give you interviews for Pitt?
I did, missed it though, she said to call back ASAP but she was out.

Can anyone who has interviewed at Pitt describe the interview format? Informal vs formal.. one v one or group interviews, adcoms only or in with established students, etc.! OR could you send me a URL for an SDN thread that has already asked/answered this question this cycle (because I couldn't find any for myself!) Thanks :)!

Can anyone who has interviewed at Pitt describe the interview format? Informal vs formal.. one v one or group interviews, adcoms only or in with established students, etc.! OR could you send me a URL for an SDN thread that has already asked/answered this question this cycle (because I couldn't find any for myself!) Thanks :)!
You get to have two fifteen minute one on one interviews with faculty and then you get to have lunch with a faculty member for about 30 minutes. The interviews were open file and they asked me questions directly from my application. All three of the faculty I was paired with were extremely nice and it was a great experience!

Reactions: 1 users
You get to have two fifteen minute one on one interviews with faculty and then you get to have lunch with a faculty member for about 30 minutes. The interviews were open file and they asked me questions directly from my application. All three of the faculty I was paired with were extremely nice and it was a great experience!
Thanks!

For those who have had interviews: I received the email from Katherine today about our itinerary, and before I had a chance to read the email, it got deleted (iPhone malfunction). Did the email include anything important? Can someone fill me in on what I missed please? Thanks!

For those who have had interviews: I received the email from Katherine today about our itinerary, and before I had a chance to read the email, it got deleted (iPhone malfunction). Did the email include anything important? Can someone fill me in on what I missed please? Thanks!

You can still recover it. Just type her name in the search bar at the top and it should come up since the search bar looks through all your inboxes including archived emails. Now if you're using an email client that simply places the emails in your trash rather than in the archives, you'll have to go into the trash instead

You can still recover it. Just type her name in the search bar at the top and it should come up since the search bar looks through all your inboxes including archived emails. Now if you're using an email client that simply places the emails in your trash rather than in the archives, you'll have to go into the trash instead

I still couldn't find it, was there anything important in that email such as any supplemental forms? or was it just a schedule of the day?

I still couldn't find it, was there anything important in that email such as any supplemental forms? or was it just a schedule of the day?

Just a schedule and directions.

Last edited:
Just a schedule and directions.

HOW IS EVERYONE FEELING IN HERE? So quiet....C'mon people, 3 more days till Pitt releases decisions!

Cautiously optimistic. I felt like my interviews went really well

Cautiously optimistic. I felt like my interviews went really well

I don't remember what the clinics were like. Can you refresh my memory?

Last edited:
The program was really nice. Their combined dental/MPH in 4 years (without any extra tuition) is attractive to me. The dental anesthesiology foundation is also a nice touch. The faculty seemed down-to-earth and diverse.

I also really, really, really liked the urban environment + low cost of living here. It's so hard to find that combination now.

I don't remember what the clinics were like. Can you refresh my memory?

I do wish I had an additional day to check out Pittsburgh. You thinking of going to 2nd Look?

Yep the dental anesthesiology was something that really attracted me too. And totally agree with the faculty. Out of the 4 schools I've interviewed at, Pitt's faculty were my favorite by far.

Not sure how to describe them but I'd say the clinics were pretty average. The facilities in general were my least favorite aspect of the school as it's pretty old, but I think everything else about the school makes up for it.

Isn't 2nd look after we send in deposits? If I end up deciding on going to Pitt (if I get in), then I'd probably go

Yep the dental anesthesiology was something that really attracted me too. And totally agree with the faculty. Out of the 4 schools I've interviewed at, Pitt's faculty were my favorite by far.

Not sure how to describe them but I'd say the clinics were pretty average. The facilities in general were my least favorite aspect of the school as it's pretty old, but I think everything else about the school makes up for it.

Isn't 2nd look after we send in deposits? If I end up deciding on going to Pitt (if I get in), then I'd probably go

Good points.

Last edited:
The student lounge though....that was nice. And the fitness facilities....beautiful.

I can't remember what the library was like- can you?

Yeah I remember the library! It was in the med school, very quiet. Wasn't too impressed by it TBH but it would be a good place for hardcore studying.

Fitness facilities were great! Was there a pool? I don't remember seeing one. What student lounge are you talking about?

Yeah I remember the library! It was in the med school, very quiet. Wasn't too impressed by it TBH but it would be a good place for hardcore studying.

I don't remember.

Last edited:
I got a phone call with an acceptance about an hour ago. My portal was updated to "offer made" before I got a call

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When did you all interview for those who got accepted/offer made?

Portal still says "Invited for Interview" for me. No call, OOS FL resident