***Official UIC Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Μοlar Βear

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an invite to interview!! Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
when was your application confirmed completed? Mine was confirmed complete three weeks ago and haven't heard back since.
Mine was confirmed completed about 3 weeks ago as well

I wouldn't freak out if I was you though, they gave me an early interview date, so they're probably still working on sending out invites for late September/October

A few questions. How large are the interview groups at UIC and how long do the interview days last?

And what are our chances of getting accepted if we land an interview?

I heard the class size increased from 50 to 70 (word of mouth) but I wasn't able to find that number anywhere on the Internet

A few questions. How large are the interview groups at UIC and how long do the interview days last?

And what are our chances of getting accepted if we land an interview?

I heard the class size increased from 50 to 70 (word of mouth) but I wasn't able to find that number anywhere on the Internet

Hello there,

I am a D1 at UIC and I will help to answer your questions as others did for me last year. The interview group is pretty small. When I interviewed here last year, I believe there were only about 7 of us. The interview day started at 0800 and went to about 1230. Make sure you come early. You obviously want to put your best foot forward and nothing turns off the admission committee like a late interviewee.

Your chances of getting accepted at UIC are pretty good if you are invited for an interview. This is the school basically saying that they are interested in your application and want to see if you will be a good fit in the class. As long as you interview well, you have a good chance of being accepted.

The class size did increase from 52 to 72 students primarily because they opened the admissions to out of state applicants. The school does a good job of managing the schedule so everyone is basically gainfully employed so to speak.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello there,

I am a D1 at UIC and I will help to answer your questions as others did for me last year. The interview group is pretty small. When I interviewed here last year, I believe there were only about 7 of us. The interview day started at 0800 and went to about 1230. Make sure you come early. You obviously want to put your best foot forward and nothing turns off the admission committee like a late interviewee.

Your chances of getting accepted at UIC are pretty good if you are invited for an interview. This is the school basically saying that they are interested in your application and want to see if you will be a good fit in the class. As long as you interview well, you have a good chance of being accepted.

The class size did increase from 52 to 72 students primarily because they opened the admissions to out of state applicants. The school does a good job of managing the schedule so everyone is basically gainfully employed so to speak.

1. What about UIC made you decide to attend that school as opposed to other schools I am assuming you gained acceptance to?
2. Generally, how is your experience thus far?
3. Are you living on/off campus?
4. Where did you complete your undergrad (just curious, you don't have to answer)?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there,

Hi, thank you so much for your responses!! :) that really helps me understand what to expect! fingers crossed for the best!

I had a couple more questions:

1. I heard the interviewers at UIC are not as conversational as at other schools. Is this true? I am just concerned because I want to express myself as well as I can and convey as much as possible.

2. Can we bring a portfolio/work that showcases manual dexterity to the interview? What is UIC's policy on this? Did you or anyone you know bring examples of any work in the past (and get accepted)?

3. Any other tips?

Thanks again :D

I have a completes app, haven't heard anything form them. Also their online portal isn't updated, but they said communicate through AADSAS. Anyone else heard anything, rejection deferred, interview.

I am an illinois resident too.

1. What about UIC made you decide to attend that school as opposed to other schools I am assuming you gained acceptance to?
2. Generally, how is your experience thus far?
3. Are you living on/off campus?
4. Where did you complete your undergrad (just curious, you don't have to answer)?

Thanks!

1. I got accepted to 4 Dental programs, the 2 in Illinois and 2 others that were my backup. I am from Illinois and the real decision was between UIC and SIU. I really loved SIU, but in the end UIC won over because I talked with a lot of the graduating class of 2016 and the majority of them were so confident in the training they received at UIC that they didnt think they needed GPR or AEGD residencies.
2. So far so good. Dental school is difficult, however you know this going in. I wasn't a bio major, so I was already at a deficit in the material taught. However, with good time management skills, I am keeping up with the pack. The class tends to congeal very quickly and we all help each other to get study guides out there (crowd sourcing). Here, you are in the pre-clinic on day 2 and waxing on day 4. If you are really considering UIC, please please please take an anatomy course. You are literally going to be hands deep in cadavers your first week!
3. I am currently on active duty in the Navy and I was able to purchase a condo very close to the school.
4. I am a non-traditional student and I completed my engineering degree in 2005. I went to Thomas Edison State College.

Hope that helps!

Hi, thank you so much for your responses!! :) that really helps me understand what to expect! fingers crossed for the best!

I had a couple more questions:

1. I heard the interviewers at UIC are not as conversational as at other schools. Is this true? I am just concerned because I want to express myself as well as I can and convey as much as possible.

2. Can we bring a portfolio/work that showcases manual dexterity to the interview? What is UIC's policy on this? Did you or anyone you know bring examples of any work in the past (and get accepted)?

3. Any other tips?

Thanks again :D

1. My interview was pretty conversational. I do think that it depends on who is interviewing you. It was pretty standard from what I remember. The interview at SIU was the non-conversational one. While you meet with 2 faculty members at once for ONE interview at UIC, you get THREE interviews with 3 faculty members at SIU. The faculty at SIU had to stick to a script, so they asked very specific questions and some threw me for a loop. Cannot remember what those questions were, but I walked out thinking that I didnt do very good on the interview.

2. I am an amateur photographer, so I brought a portfolio of some of my good pictures for the SIU interview. Since UIC was my first interview, I didnt bring any show and tell, but I told them about the portfolio and the two dentists that interviewed me really hoped I had it with me.

3. I know you have heard this before, but I cannot stress just being yourself. Take a look at this video, its a long one, but very important for anyone going for a professional education interview.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Actually look for part 1 of Kevin Ahern's video. It addresses the ethics question you are most likely going to be asked.

Reactions: 1 users
I got an invite on 09/23, so no worries for everyone who hasn't heard back yet.

I got an invite on 09/23, so no worries for everyone who hasn't heard back yet.
I'm over here like… :rolleyes: where's my invite? I've been invited to every other school I applied to.

Anyone get this email?

The UIC College of Dentistry Admissions Office is reviewing your application. Please share in one paragrah or less your activities including working since graduation from the University of Illinois.

Anyone get this email?

The UIC College of Dentistry Admissions Office is reviewing your application. Please share in one paragrah or less your activities including working since graduation from the University of Illinois.
I have not. Are you in a gap year? I did have other schools ask what I did during summer in secondaries.

I haven't either. But I'm a senior right now and I already interviewed

Anyone that has interviewed, what was the interview day like? Any tips?

UIC dental is my top choice (I'm Illinois resident and live pretty close to school), and I am kind of getting worried about not hearing back about an interview. Should I email them to show my interest in the school? Or is it still early, and I should just wait a little bit longer? Am I worrying too much?

UIC dental is my top choice (I'm Illinois resident and live pretty close to school), and I am kind of getting worried about not hearing back about an interview. Should I email them to show my interest in the school? Or is it still early, and I should just wait a little bit longer? Am I worrying too much?
I wouldn't worry much yet. There's still time left, and you can always get interviews post-December as well. I don't think emailing them would do much.

uic has not invited me even though my stats are above their average. status is app complete and never been to under review.

Last edited:
i m instate and uic has not invited me even though my stats are way above their average. status is app complete and never been to under review.

I dont think they use the " under review" option on aadas

i m instate and uic has not invited me even though my stats are way above their average. status is app complete and never been to under review.

Same situation. kind of sad. I got interviews at way hared OOS schools and not my own state.

Got an interview! I submitted my app late September so keep looking out for those invites!!

Last edited:
Like 45 mins if I remember correctly. Some of the questions were challenging.

My interview was 20-25 minutes and they called time after a certain point because it was time for the next candidate's slot. And I interviewed last month. Have they changed this?

Also important question; did you guys all get emails from Braulia regarding the scholarships today? I was wondering if everyone gets it, or just the people who have received interviews? Or to students they intend to accept?

My interview was 20-25 minutes and they called time after a certain point because it was time for the next candidate's slot. And I interviewed last month. Have they changed this?
I think mine was longer than 25 minutes, but I don't really remember well.

Also important question; did you guys all get emails from Braulia regarding the scholarships today? I was wondering if everyone gets it, or just the people who have received interviews? Or to students they intend to accept?
I got a navy scholarship email from them

any thoughts from those who interviewed so far? like overall?

waiting to hear back on dec 1 :D

I just got my interview invitation. It's probably not a good sign, since I finished my application and supplemental application back in June, but it's better than nothing.

I just got my interview invitation. It's probably not a good sign, since I finished my application and supplemental application back in June, but it's better than nothing.

I wouldnt worry about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.