Official SHPEP 2017 Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For Western U, my status changed from waitlisted to not accepted, is this normal?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused because mine still says waitlist
Mine also says waitlist! I called and the site is full and she claims she doesn't know how they pick people off the list, though a few weeks ago she said there was a specific order. Anyways, she said to keep checking as space could become available at any time.

Mine said site is full. I suppose it's the same
It's not really the same. Had you applied early, you probably would've gotten it. But if your status said 'not accepted' you probably would not have gotten in regardless of applying early.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm confused because mine still says waitlist
For Houston? If it is then you might still have a chance. This site for some reason likes to take their time to tell you when you get off the waitlist.

For Houston? If it is then you might still have a chance. This site for some reason likes to take their time to tell you when you get off the waitlist.
Have you already turned in all the papers that need to be turned in?

I kind of got that vibe as well.. mine still says waitlist as well.

Might just be site full for dental applicants only

It's not really the same. Had you applied early, you probably would've gotten it. But if your status said 'not accepted' you probably would not have gotten in regardless of applying early.
I'm aware lol but we were both not accepted regardless

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone! If youre going to SHPEP Houston, I created a group chat for us! Im looking forward to meeting you guys; this internship will be a great experience for all of us!
Heres the link:
GroupMe

Has anyone heard from UAB? I confirmed there since February and still haven't heard a peep from them... Yes, I called/emailed them. No, no one helped me.

I was accepted to UAB regular admissions and have not received an email, so it's not just you!

But I wouldn't bother contacting them. The program isn't for a good five or six weeks and I'm sure there are a lot of logistics they're still figuring out like where we will be housed so I wouldn't worry. They haven't forgotten us! :)

I was accepted to UAB regular admissions and have not received an email, so it's not just you!

But I wouldn't bother contacting them. The program isn't for a good five or six weeks and I'm sure there are a lot of logistics they're still figuring out like where we will be housed so I wouldn't worry. They haven't forgotten us! :)
True, ok. You're, like, the first other person from UAB lol

True, ok. You're, like, the first other person from UAB lol

Hey guys! I'm also going to UAB this summer, and I haven't received any information yet. Apparently they sent an email earlier in the week, but I didn't get anything still?

I made a Groupme to make things easier btw.

GroupMe

Hey everyone, I am a pre-dent sophomore at a Cuyamaca College here in San Diego. From reading these previous responses with people having 3.7-3.9 GPA's almost made me give up on applying to the program as would not have stood a chance with my seemingly unimpressive 3.25 GPA. I chose to apply anyway, and pretty late in the application process at that. Nevertheless, as April 1st came around I saw that I was accepted to the program at Iowa, Alabama, and UCLA. It was almost a no-brainer as I have always looked up to UCLA for their well-known applications in medicine. I feel I have a lot to prove coming into the program and cannot wait for the move-in day. I'm curious to hear where everyone got in and their experience that they are having at the moment getting ready for the program.Wondering if I'll get a cool roomie that will accept me for my weirdness:spam:

Congratulations to all that were accepted into the program and to those that missed the cut keep on trying as when one door closes another is likely to open.

Hey everyone, I am a pre-dent sophomore at a Cuyamaca College here in San Diego. From reading these previous responses with people having 3.7-3.9 GPA's almost made me give up on applying to the program as would not have stood a chance with my seemingly unimpressive 3.25 GPA. I chose to apply anyway, and pretty late in the application process at that. Nevertheless, as April 1st came around I saw that I was accepted to the program at Iowa, Alabama, and UCLA. It was almost a no-brainer as I have always looked up to UCLA for their well-known applications in medicine. I feel I have a lot to prove coming into the program and cannot wait for the move-in day. I'm curious to hear where everyone got in and their experience that they are having at the moment getting ready for the program.Wondering if I'll get a cool roomie that will accept me for my weirdness:spam:

Congratulations to all that were accepted into the program and to those that missed the cut keep on trying as when one door closes another is likely to open.
I think they assign randomly the roommates, but you can join the shpep group on facebook and meet new people.

Hey guys! I don't know if you guys are still checking this thread, but I had a question. I'm starting college in a month (pre-dental student) and am very interested in SHPEP, especially at Houston, Florida, and Rutgers. I don't mean to sound snobbish or anything of the sort. However, I'm Asian and not really financially disadvantaged. Do you think I still have a shot or is it not worth applying? Also, do y'all have any tips?

Hey guys! I don't know if you guys are still checking this thread, but I had a question. I'm starting college in a month (pre-dental student) and am very interested in SHPEP, especially at Houston, Florida, and Rutgers. I don't mean to sound snobbish or anything of the sort. However, I'm Asian and not really financially disadvantaged. Do you think I still have a shot or is it not worth applying? Also, do y'all have any tips?
Hi, I just go back from the SHPEP program in Omaha NE. I would love to help you out if you have an questions about the application or what to expect from the program. But I highly recommend you to apply even if you do not think you would get accepted. I was in the same situation. I'm a junior (pre-dental)(biochem major). I have a gpa of 3.5 from community college. I'm white and not financially disadvantaged, but I still I was accepted to 2 of the 3 that I applied to! feel free to ask me for any help! the biggest advise I can give is to apply for early admission. IT WAS THE BEST DESICION OF MY LIFE! I made better friend there than in high school. I can not stress how amazing this opportunity is!

If anyone reading this is thinking about applying for next year, feel free to reply to this post with your questions. Whether it be about applying in general or the Columbia University site, since that's where i am now.

If anyone reading this is thinking about applying for next year, feel free to reply to this post with your questions. Whether it be about applying in general or the Columbia University site, since that's where i am now.

What are the essay questions? And are the prompts the same every year?

What are the essay questions? And are the prompts the same every year?
The 2 prompts re the same every year. one is a personal statement about way u want to go into that health profession and the other is about diversity. I think they give you about 2 pages for each but mine were only 1 page each.

Attachments

• Screenshot (18).png
    Screenshot (18).png
    250.2 KB · Views: 99
Hey, afaik there isn't a thread for the 2018 program, but I am thinking of applying. The problem is, I am asian (brown to be specific) and not economically disadvantaged. I do, however, have a really strong desire to work in the inner-city and I have experience with working for the underserved. Do I still have a shot at applying?

I'm from Houston, so UTHealth is one of the sites I will be applying to. I'm thinking of choosing 2 from University of Washington, Columbia, Rutgers, and Univ. Florida. My projected gpa by the end of my freshman year will either be a 3.94 or a 4.0 (Neuroscience/CS Major). Do you guys think I have a shot? Any advice on how to proceed to maximize my chances?

Hey, afaik there isn't a thread for the 2018 program, but I am thinking of applying. The problem is, I am asian (brown to be specific) and not economically disadvantaged. I do, however, have a really strong desire to work in the inner-city and I have experience with working for the underserved. Do I still have a shot at applying?

I'm from Houston, so UTHealth is one of the sites I will be applying to. I'm thinking of choosing 2 from University of Washington, Columbia, Rutgers, and Univ. Florida. My projected gpa by the end of my freshman year will either be a 3.94 or a 4.0 (Neuroscience/CS Major). Do you guys think I have a shot? Any advice on how to proceed to maximize my chances?

Hi! Ok, to start off, do it lol. Don't lie in your application, and say your intentions. You should be fine :)
Also, if you don't see one for 2018, make one lolol

Question, happens on the weekends? Is it classes and activities or??? I might have a graduation to go to on one of the Saturdays. Would I be able to go to it or?