Official SHPEP 2017 Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent1001

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Is anyone applying to SHPEP, or has anyone already applied? Which program sites are you applying to / have already applied to? What have you heard about certain program sites? This forum is to help and encourage SHPEP applicants share stats, acceptances / denials, application tips, experience tips, etc.! I hope you guys post in here and spread the word!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished writing up my essays today! I stopped where I get to choose three schools - I wanted to know more about the program sites too. I live in VA so my first pick is probably Columbia, but I'm reluctant after that..

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished writing up my essays today! I stopped where I get to choose three schools - I wanted to know more about the program sites too. I live in VA so my first pick is probably Columbia, but I'm reluctant after that..
Why are you reluctant? What sites are you thinking about? Also, what are your stats people from past programs can probably help tell you about which sites favor certain things based off of them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you reluctant? What sites are you thinking about? Also, what are your stats people from past programs can probably help tell you about which sites favor certain things based off of them?

I'm about to self diagnose myself with analysis paralysis:confused:
I'm reluctant because I'm a sophomore and I don't have a second chance to apply. Then there's also the consideration of staying on the east coast for the sake of network, applying to schools I'd actually want to go to as a dental student, and what each school's focus is over the summer. For example I read that one school is much more focused on case-studies rather than reviewing science curriculums. I want to apply to places I would actually apply to next year, but those schools aren't part of this program.

I think I'm looking at
UCLA
University of Washington
University of Nebraska (their building/wellness center is very appealing if you haven't look through it!)

I'm from a community college with a 4.0 GPA (which I would update in January because this semester didn't go so hot), I'm a minority but not disadvantaged, and I've been working full time as an orthodontic technician for a year and a half.
For the second essay I wrote about how frustrated I am with military clinics overseas ending with how I plan on joining the Navy and contributing my efforts there.

Way too much about me, what about you?

I'm a freshmen and my projected GPA is 3.8; I don't have a final number just yet. I plan to apply to Columbia, Howard, and UCLA for the medical program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'll be applying to UW since I live in Wa, and have kids. That would be my dream! I'll also apply to UCLA and maybe an east coast option for the hell of it...

I'm URM and disadvantaged, my GPA is 3.4 so its a long shot. I'm hoping for the best since my science GPA is 3.7, and I have a ton of EC's, a killer personal story, and an excellent letter of recommendation. Do you think I have a chance?

I'm planning to write my essays over holiday break, and submit before the new year. Is that late?

I think it's neat that this program and the actual med school share some of the same admissions committee members!

Last edited:
Oh okay. Hmmm well your GPA sounds awesome! I think it'll depend on your recommendation and activities listed as well as the detail and stand out factor of your essays! I'm thinking of applying to UW UCLA COLUMBIA and UF.

I'm reluctant because I'm a sophomore and I don't have a second chance to apply. Then there's also the consideration of staying on the east coast for the sake of network, applying to schools I'd actually want to go to as a dental student, and what each school's focus is over the summer. For example I read that one school is much more focused on case-studies rather than reviewing science curriculums. I want to apply to places I would actually apply to next year, but those schools aren't part of this program.

I think I'm looking at
UCLA
University of Washington
University of Nebraska (their building/wellness center is very appealing if you haven't look through it!)

I'm from a community college with a 4.0 GPA (which I would update in January because this semester didn't go so hot), I'm a minority but not disadvantaged, and I've been working full time as an orthodontic technician for a year and a half.
For the second essay I wrote about how frustrated I am with military clinics overseas ending with how I plan on joining the Navy and contributing my efforts there.

I'm a freshmen and my projected GPA is 3.8; I don't have a final number just yet. I plan to apply to Columbia, Howard, and UCLA for the medical program.

Nice! What are your stats? URM or disadvantaged? How are your essays and recommendations looking?

I'll be applying to UW since I live in Wa, and have kids. That would be my dream! I'll also apply to UCLA and maybe an east coast option for the hell of it...

I'm URM and disadvantaged, my GPA is 3.4 so its a long shot. I'm hoping for the best since my science GPA is 3.7, and I have a ton of EC's, a killer personal story, and an excellent letter of recommendation. Do you think I have a chance?

I'm planning to write my essays over holiday break, and submit before the new year. Is that late?

I think it's neat that this program and the actual med school share some of the same admissions committee members!

I think of course you have a chance! What other sites are you thinking of? Or do you definitely want to stay in WA?

Also, has anyone actually applied yet? It's super early to do so now, but just curious!

I think of course you have a chance! What other sites are you thinking of? Or do you definitely want to stay in WA?

I'm praying to stay in WA since I have kids. But I may still apply to others. I'm just not sure about being away from my kids.

I have started my app, and my LOR will be done by Dec 15th my professor said. I am just working on my essays. Do you know how that would work with getting my LOR to them before my application is even finished?

I'm praying to stay in WA since I have kids. But I may still apply to others. I'm just not sure about being away from my kids.

I have started my app, and my LOR will be done by Dec 15th my professor said. I am just working on my essays. Do you know how that would work with getting my LOR to them before my application is even finished?

Oh yeah that makes sense! And childcare is expensive! Especially for 6 weeks! I think you have to just attach your SHPEP ID # which is on your application once you start it! And yeah I'm still working on mine also!

Oh yeah that makes sense! And childcare is expensive! Especially for 6 weeks! I think you have to just attach your SHPEP ID # which is on your application once you start it! And yeah I'm still working on mine also!

Oh Duh! That makes sense.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can we send our transcripts and LOR before we submit our application?

What if we already sent one of the transcript without the form? DO you think they will take it or should I send it again with the form?

What if we already sent one of the transcript without the form? DO you think they will take it or should I send it again with the form?

What they told me was that they will take it, but it may take longer to process if it doesn't come with the matching form that includes your SHPEP ID number?

How were everyone's essays? New people what sites are you applying to? What have you heard about some of the sites?

What they told me was that they will take it, but it may take longer to process if it doesn't come with the matching form that includes your SHPEP ID number?
Oh ok, I think I will send it again just to make sure it gets there and they process it

How were everyone's essays? New people what sites are you applying to? What have you heard about some of the sites?
I finished the diversity essay but I am going to continue editing. I will start my personal statement and edit as well when I am done. Im going to apply to Columbia, UW, and Houston/UCLA.

Feeling pretty reluctant on applying, not URM in any slightest way... Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Feeling pretty reluctant on applying, not URM in any slightest way... Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Are you disadvantaged economically or educationally? Do you want to work with underrepresented populations in the future, or see the need for more diversity in medicine? If you do, I think you should apply! If not, this may not be the program for you? Also what schools are you looking into if you are interested / what are your stats?

I think I'm looking at
UCLA
University of Washington

Do you think you're overqualified?

Are you disadvantaged economically or educationally? Do you want to work with underrepresented populations in the future, or see the need for more diversity in medicine? If you do, I think you should apply! If not, this may not be the program for you? Also what schools are you looking into if you are interested / what are your stats?

More so the latter since I'm neither disadvantaged economically/educationally-- I'm looking into Columbia, UCLA, and Nebraska (Maybe replace one of these with Western U). I did previously hear that Columbia desires students who are from disadvantaged backgrounds only, so I might take a deeper look into that (although I'm not sure if things have changed as SMDEP moved to SHPEP) I'm currently a freshman, so my first semester course grades haven't been posted yet, but I'm anticipating somewhere around a 3.9~4.0.
Also, as a side question, I know that you mentioned applications start being reviewed by Dec 19th. Since I'm not really able to send in my grades until my official transcript is out, do you think I should try to push myself for the 19th deadline and then submit my transcript afterwards? Or just submit my transcript + application in one go? Thanks for the help! :)

More so the latter since I'm neither disadvantaged economically/educationally-- I'm looking into Columbia, UCLA, and Nebraska (Maybe replace one of these with Western U). I did previously hear that Columbia desires students who are from disadvantaged backgrounds only, so I might take a deeper look into that (although I'm not sure if things have changed as SMDEP moved to SHPEP) I'm currently a freshman, so my first semester course grades haven't been posted yet, but I'm anticipating somewhere around a 3.9~4.0.
Also, as a side question, I know that you mentioned applications start being reviewed by Dec 19th. Since I'm not really able to send in my grades until my official transcript is out, do you think I should try to push myself for the 19th deadline and then submit my transcript afterwards? Or just submit my transcript + application in one go? Thanks for the help! :)

Ahh okay, well I would say apply to a site you think you can definitely get into, a site that you could probably get into, and then apply to your dream site! If you have an interest in working with diverse populations and can talk about why diversity in medicine is important in a non generic way, I think you'd have a great chance! In regards to your question about the transcript and application, I'm not really sure. I hope someone else can answer that for you or maybe call the SHPEP office or email them and see what they would prefer! I believe though that they told me that they do not review applications until they are marked complete on the application portal. If your transcript and recommendation letter are missing, your application will not be marked complete. All components have to be in for the sites to start to review your application.

Ahh okay, well I would say apply to a site you think you can definitely get into, a site that you could probably get into, and then apply to your dream site! If you have an interest in working with diverse populations and can talk about why diversity in medicine is important in a non generic way, I think you'd have a great chance! In regards to your question about the transcript and application, I'm not really sure. I hope someone else can answer that for you or maybe call the SHPEP office or email them and see what they would prefer! I believe though that they told me that they do not review applications until they are marked complete on the application portal. If your transcript and recommendation letter are missing, your application will not be marked complete. All components have to be in for the sites to start to review your application.

Cool-- thanks so much for your help!

Hey everyone! I'm also applying to SHPEP! I was wondering if any of you are waiting to get your current term grades on your transcript, or if you have decided to send them in ASAP instead?

I sent mine ASAP, since they are going to start reviewing applications soon.

Do you think you're overqualified?

I may or may not be. I read a post the other day made by a pretty ticked off guy that got rejected. Later down the post he emailed them asking why and they said he was overqualified. So that stuff does happen! Could take it as a compliment, but I hear so much good stuff about this program it'd be a bummer to be rejected.

Hey everyone! I'm also applying to SHPEP! I was wondering if any of you are waiting to get your current term grades on your transcript, or if you have decided to send them in ASAP instead?

I emailed them about this and they never got back to me, so I sent my transcript without this semesters grade. I don't think it'd be a problem especially since they don't specify anywhere on the website.

Cool! Where did you apply to and what program? Pre-med, pre-dent?

Pre-dent. Im getting the feeling most of the people on this thread are so far premed. Looking forward for the predents to start coming out too. I applied to Columbia, UCLA, and Washington state though. Columbia being my #1 choice; closest to home. Have you applied yet?

No, I still need to write my Personal Statement. But I will apply to Columbia, UW, and Houston

Pre-dent. Im getting the feeling most of the people on this thread are so far premed. Looking forward for the predents to start coming out too. I applied to Columbia, UCLA, and Washington state though. Columbia being my #1 choice; closest to home. Have you applied yet?

Do you know by any chance what type of applicants Columbia gives specific preference too? :O

Do you know by any chance what type of applicants Columbia gives specific preference too? :O

I don't, but Columbias a hard school to get into as an actual student so I get a feeling it could be the same for this program. This program is technically meant for minorities and disadvantaged students, so I'm thinking our best shot is to have killer statements and LORs.

I submitted a few minutes ago, however, I have to wait until my grades are finalized before I can send my transcripts.

I submitted a few minutes ago, however, I have to wait until my grades are finalized before I can send my transcripts.

Did shpep request you do that? I sent my transcript in already without thinking too much of it.

Did shpep request you do that? I sent my transcript in already without thinking too much of it.

ImageUploadedBySDN1480976596.963410.jpg

It starts with "I'm a freshman..."

Can I see a picture of how the home screen looks when you submit your application?