Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
What did you get on the AAMC FLs? Depending on your scores on those (particularly in the sciences), I suggest you hold off on the retake. If you have been scoring high on the sciences, then this might be a fluke. But if those scores are somewhat in line with your science scores on the practice tests then I think it is best that you postpone the retake till a later date. The good thing is you have no problem with CARS and that is usually the hardest to improve. The sciences are the easiest to improve if you put in the time to understand rather than memorize the information and practice^10. I think your scores may be good for DO but yea the 123 may keep you out of MD schools.
I got a 504 on FL1 and a 505 on FL2. I was scoring in this range on C/P, it's always been my weakest section. However, I was hoping to score a 125 because I know less than this is often screened out. The issue is, I don't know if I could do better. It's not like I didn't study, I put a lot of time in and chemistry and physics have just always been my weak subjects.

Also, a 128 is actually my lowest CARS score out of all my practice exams, both AAMC and third-party. I was usually scoring 129s and 130s.

When I walked out of the test, I was expecting 125/130/127/130. I knew C/P had been killer, but most people said it was so I thought the curve would be generous. I found B/B relatively fair and was definitely expecting over 125. The issue is, like I said, I don't know how much more studying I could do, and I don't know if a retake would help me. On the other hand, the 123 has me freaking out. I almost would have rather gotten 128 in P/S and a 125 in C/P..

I got a 504 on FL1 and a 505 on FL2. I was scoring in this range on C/P, it's always been my weakest section. However, I was hoping to score a 125 because I know less than this is often screened out. The issue is, I don't know if I could do better. It's not like I didn't study, I put a lot of time in and chemistry and physics have just always been my weak subjects.

Also, a 128 is actually my lowest CARS score out of all my practice exams, both AAMC and third-party. I was usually scoring 129s and 130s.

When I walked out of the test, I was expecting 125/130/127/130. I knew C/P had been killer, but most people said it was so I thought the curve would be generous. I found B/B relatively fair and was definitely expecting over 125. The issue is, like I said, I don't know how much more studying I could do, and I don't know if a retake would help me. On the other hand, the 123 has me freaking out. I almost would have rather gotten 128 in P/S and a 125 in C/P..

From your username, I'm assuming IS for FL schools? I think they generally don't have too too competitive MCAT scores, but it might be worth to email and ask what their subsection cut off is for each one if not listed on their website. I think it's concerning that the two science sections are lowest, and 123 is definitely in the realm of getting screened out. Most MD screen out at 123 I think, and others at 125.

It may be worth getting a tutor if this cycle doesn't go well, to try and bump CP. And definitely try and bump that 125 BB up too, since medicine is obviously based in that type of content. Good luck with your cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
From your username, I'm assuming IS for FL schools? I think they generally don't have too too competitive MCAT scores, but it might be worth to email and ask what their subsection cut off is for each one if not listed on their website. I think it's concerning that the two science sections are lowest, and 123 is definitely in the realm of getting screened out. Most MD screen out at 123 I think, and others at 125.

It may be worth getting a tutor if this cycle doesn't go well, to try and bump CP. And definitely try and bump that 125 BB up too, since medicine is obviously based in that type of content. Good luck with your cycle!
Yes, I'm a Florida resident.

I can't seem to find info on cutoffs anywhere. The MSAR doesn't seem to include it (they just show you the 10th percentile score). Do you know where I could find cutoffs for sections?

Members don't see this ad :)
My first diagnostic test was taken 1 month before my actual MCAT date and I got a 497. I took practice tests twice a week until my MCAT date and got a 507 (125/125/128/129) on the real one.

Should I retake? I am hoping to apply to schools this year but I'm worried that if I retake at the earliest time (6/30) then I will be a late applicant (able to submit 8/1). Is it worth for me to retake the MCAT to hopefully improve a few points?

My first diagnostic test was taken 1 month before my actual MCAT date and I got a 497. I took practice tests twice a week until my MCAT date and got a 507 (125/125/128/129) on the real one.

Should I retake? I am hoping to apply to schools this year but I'm worried that if I retake at the earliest time (6/30) then I will be a late applicant (able to submit 8/1). Is it worth for me to retake the MCAT to hopefully improve a few points?

507 is good and you have a good balance, just depends on the rest of your app and where you want to go..........
6/30 is not too late as long as you're 100% sure you can do way better

507 is good and you have a good balance, just depends on the rest of your app and where you want to go..........
6/30 is not too late as long as you're 100% sure you can do way better
I have a sGPA 3.49, cGPA 3.65. I have a lot of EC, including 400+ hours of clinical experience. I'm hoping to go to one of the lower mid tier schools like GW or Albany NY Medical College

4.0 GPA
513 MCAT
125/130/129/129

Should I retake? 125 is what I was getting on Kaplan FLs, but the other sections I was getting a little lower on the Kaplan FLs as well.

4.0 GPA
513 MCAT
125/130/129/129

Should I retake? 125 is what I was getting on Kaplan FLs, but the other sections I was getting a little lower on the Kaplan FLs as well.
Definitely not. Your score is solid. The 125 CP will not break you. Unless you were scoring in the high 520s on your practice tests, I would maybe think about retaking. But for this cycle, don't retake and apply. You are good to go. Congrats!

Well, I think you should give DO a shot and maybe apply to low tier MDs and your state schools. I think you will get into at least 1 DO school and depending on the rest of your app and luck, you might land an MD acceptance. Just don't apply to too many MD schools and save the money for reapp if you have to. Good luck tho.

May 19th test taker. I know I did well (515 128/130/128/129)

However, I strongly believe I could boost my score with a retake. I moved cities to start a new job and had a breakup during my four months of studying and ended up not studying seriously until about a month before the exam.

I didnt review the P/S sections or B/B sections at all, except for the kaplan quicksheets. Also I've had no course-work on systems biology and hadnt taken a molecular/cell bio class since my second year of college. For C/P I only did EK practice problems for each section 1x, and did not review them in depth. Because of this I really crammed the night before and pulled an all nighter. Basically, I was not ready for this test!

However, considering I managed to get a pretty good score anyways, I bet if I studied for a few months I could boost my score to the 520 range.

I want to apply for MSTP programs and have a low-ish GPA (3.6 with an upward trend), I feel like if I took a chance and re-took the MCAT after studying seriously I could get a 520+ score, and that could really boost my chances for MSTP. Any advice? Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Yes, I'm a Florida resident.

I can't seem to find info on cutoffs anywhere. The MSAR doesn't seem to include it (they just show you the 10th percentile score). Do you know where I could find cutoffs for sections?

A preliminary google search doesn't yield anything helpful other than "No cutoff, but it's harder to get in with a lower score" for most schools. It doesn't hurt to email and check, but even if they say there is no cutoff they likely have an internal cutoff of some point, so it could be hard to say.

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. These scores are from last year (September).

515 (129, 124, 131, 131)

I'm happy with 3/4 sections, but I'm worried CARS is going to ruin my chances for acceptance. Looking at MSAR, I see that most schools have their CARS 10th percentile at 125, although I do not know if they accept anyone below it.
My concern with re-writing is that English is my second language, and I am a slow reader, so I find CARS extremely tough and consistently have to guess on two full passages, sometimes a bit more. My AAMC practice passages were always 124's or 125's for CARS.

I would appreciate any advice. Do you think it is worth sacrificing a few science points (as I doubt I can get bio at 131 again) for a potential 125, maybe 126, in CARS?

Cheers

i need advice on a retake. I got a 513 on the 5/18 mcat (129/124/130/130) all my sections were inline with practice tests except for cars. i never scored this low. im worried about being screened out.

3.87 sGPA, leadership, volunteering/community service, shadowing, research ec's.

the 124 was a fluke but now im in a sticky situation

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely would like to ask for some advice here. I took my MCAT on 5/18 and received a dismal 499. I have a family local to my area and I'm pretty much gunning for 1 DO school and I have already sent in my application. I have an engineering non-traditional background with 12 years research experience, leadership quality, weaker on the EC than I would like but around 150 hrs hospital volunteer work, cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.8 with BS and MS degrees in engineering. Do I retake this August? My app is already going in with my 499 score but I'm wondering if it's a waste to even attempt a second MCAT this cycle or just punt and set my sights for re-applying next year and taking an MCAT spring of 2018.

I feel like I have a long shot chance since my school here (TCOM) doesn't have an MCAT cutoff and therefore I'm applying anyway. Real question is again, should I bother with a retake this August. I have definitely MCAT'ed my way out of contention for the UTSW here.

Thanks all.

i need advice on a retake. I got a 513 on the 5/18 mcat (129/124/130/130) all my sections were inline with practice tests except for cars. i never scored this low. im worried about being screened out.

3.87 sGPA, leadership, volunteering/community service, shadowing, research ec's.

the 124 was a fluke but now im in a sticky situation
The 124 won't ruin your chances. Don't retake! That score is awesome.

Reactions: 1 user
130 l 124 l 128 l 127 l 509
97% l 50% l 85% l 75% l 80%

Received 2 interviews, currently waitlisted at both this late in the game.
My application is pretty solid in terms on non-stats. (Immense medical experience and shadowing, good letters, and revised PS).
Other than this score and my 3.68 GPA, I only lack meaningful research experience. I researched for 2 years, didn't get published, but actively participated/led a group of younger undergrads on a project that is still currently under analysis.

What do I do to significantly improve my application? Hopefully I can still get in with waitlist movement, otherwise I need advice.
I am planning a backup by completing 1 or 2 years worth NIH research, which should help a lot. Of course wondering if I should retake.

Thank you all for your advice. Wish me luck as I wish you all luck back!

Mike

Hi all, just found this thread. i am submitting my application next week with my score from last year (below), and signed up to retake on aug 3rd, planning on updating with new score. BUT should i retake? here is my situation:

123 l 128 l 130 l 128 l 509
32% l 90% l 97% l 84% l 80%

non-trad, undergrad GPA: 3.1 , grad gpa: 3.6

I'd love to bring up my CP Foundations/overall score, but would hate to drop that Biological/Biochemical foundations. I understand that with the old MCAT, admissions committees liked to see a balanced score and am wondering if this still applies.

HPWL at Colorado (IS), but this was also my only interview. looking for something to push me over that edge. Solid healthcare experience, volunteer hours, extracurriculars; GPA isn't changing. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

EDIT: the first time i took the MCAT (2011) i got a 31: 10, 11, 10. wasn't always a dunce at CP

Last edited:
130 l 124 l 128 l 127 l 509
97% l 50% l 85% l 75% l 80%

Received 2 interviews, currently waitlisted at both this late in the game.
My application is pretty solid in terms on non-stats. (Immense medical experience and shadowing, good letters, and revised PS).
Other than this score and my 3.68 GPA, I only lack meaningful research experience. I researched for 2 years, didn't get published, but actively participated/led a group of younger undergrads on a project that is still currently under analysis.

What do I do to significantly improve my application? Hopefully I can still get in with waitlist movement, otherwise I need advice.
I am planning a backup by completing 1 or 2 years worth NIH research, which should help a lot. Of course wondering if I should retake.

Thank you all for your advice. Wish me luck as I wish you all luck back!

Mike

Don't think you need to retake. You should continue to build on your healthcare or research experiences. If you don't get any waitlist movement then reapply more broadly if you didn't this year.

Hi all, just found this thread. i am submitting my application next week with my score from last year (below), and signed up to retake on aug 3rd, planning on updating with new score. BUT should i retake? here is my situation:

123 l 128 l 130 l 128 l 509
32% l 90% l 97% l 84% l 80%

non-trad, undergrad GPA: 3.1 , grad gpa: 3.6

I'd love to bring up my CP Foundations/overall score, but would hate to drop that Biological/Biochemical foundations. I understand that with the old MCAT, admissions committees liked to see a balanced score and am wondering if this still applies.

HPWL at Colorado (IS), but this was also my only interview. looking for something to push me over that edge. Solid healthcare experience, volunteer hours, extracurriculars; GPA isn't changing. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

EDIT: the first time i took the MCAT (2011) i got a 31: 10, 11, 10. wasn't always a dunce at CP

Normally a 509 wouldn't be a retake however that 123 in C/P is pretty killer. Your gpa's are both below the average matriculant gpa and unless you have some super stellar EC's, I wouldn't chance it. Some schools autoscreen mcat scores that have a section below a 125. Applying with only your current score would essentially be banking on an adcom to forgive that 123 and with so many great applicants you don't want to put them in that situation. And you also did pretty good in C/P when you took in it 2011 so it would look very weird for an adcom to see the 123.

I definitely would like to ask for some advice here. I took my MCAT on 5/18 and received a dismal 499. I have a family local to my area and I'm pretty much gunning for 1 DO school and I have already sent in my application. I have an engineering non-traditional background with 12 years research experience, leadership quality, weaker on the EC than I would like but around 150 hrs hospital volunteer work, cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.8 with BS and MS degrees in engineering. Do I retake this August? My app is already going in with my 499 score but I'm wondering if it's a waste to even attempt a second MCAT this cycle or just punt and set my sights for re-applying next year and taking an MCAT spring of 2018.

I feel like I have a long shot chance since my school here (TCOM) doesn't have an MCAT cutoff and therefore I'm applying anyway. Real question is again, should I bother with a retake this August. I have definitely MCAT'ed my way out of contention for the UTSW here.

Thanks all.

I would say to retake. Here's why. Your GPA is right where it needs to be, looking at TCOM's stats their MCAT is around a 505.
Taking the MCAT again in August is really late for the TX app, especially since schools won't receive your scores until September. In addition, since it is now July, you'd essentially only be giving yourself a month which usually isn't enough to really understand where you went wrong. It really is up to you if you feel that you can do it. Personally I had a friend interview at the new DO in San Antonio and was waitlisted because they told him they would like a 500 MCAT minimum. This is just my 2 cents, hope it helped.

Normally a 509 wouldn't be a retake however that 123 in C/P is pretty killer. Your gpa's are both below the average matriculant gpa and unless you have some super stellar EC's, I wouldn't chance it. Some schools autoscreen mcat scores that have a section below a 125. Applying with only your current score would essentially be banking on an adcom to forgive that 123 and with so many great applicants you don't want to put them in that situation. And you also did pretty good in C/P when you took in it 2011 so it would look very weird for an adcom to see the 123.

great, thanks for your input!

Hi!
Ok I got a 509 (127, 125, 127, 130) on the June 16th MCAT.
3.85 overall GPA
3.95 science GPA
Double majored in biology and interdisciplinary health with a minor in Chem.
I'm a resident of Michigan, so I have plenty of schools to apply to in state.
I'm currently a scribe, I volunteer every week at a food pantry, did some cervical cancer research for a semester, and worked thousands of hours in assisted living centers. Lots of shadowing too.
I REALLY want to get into MD schools, but not totally opposed to DO. I've never shadowed a DO so I'm wondering if I even stand a chance with DO without ever shadowing one..

My concern is that my score isn't balanced. I'm really not sure if I have the energy to retake and I'm worried I won't score as high if I do. I want to submit my application ASAP. What do you guys think?

@finat You're unlikely to get a higher score if you retake this cycle, unless something catastrophic made you do poorly, so a retake would only addstress, take energy away from essays, and waste money.

A 509 is very good, and is the average score for accepted students to MD schools. You have good ECs and above average GPA, so make sure your essays and letters are strong and apply to all the MI schools, plus maybe Ohio, Wisconsin, and Minnesota schools, like MCW, Wright State, or anywhere else you fit their mission. You can make a wamc post and get some advice on your list, but I would not recommend retaking unless you don't get in this cycle and you're sure you could do much much better in a retake.

Good luck and congrats on your score!

Hi!
Ok I got a 509 (127, 125, 127, 130) on the June 16th MCAT.
3.85 overall GPA
3.95 science GPA
Double majored in biology and interdisciplinary health with a minor in Chem.
I'm a resident of Michigan, so I have plenty of schools to apply to in state.
I'm currently a scribe, I volunteer every week at a food pantry, did some cervical cancer research for a semester, and worked thousands of hours in assisted living centers. Lots of shadowing too.
I REALLY want to get into MD schools, but not totally opposed to DO. I've never shadowed a DO so I'm wondering if I even stand a chance with DO without ever shadowing one..

My concern is that my score isn't balanced. I'm really not sure if I have the energy to retake and I'm worried I won't score as high if I do. I want to submit my application ASAP. What do you guys think?

I would look at your state MD schools and their average admission stats. I believe you are competitive as it stands.

Hi all,

Just received MCAT scores from the June 16th session and am in a bit of a pickle. The week of the test, I came down with some kind of awful virus and was unsure if I should go through with taking the test at all. My fever was down a lot day of, so I decided to go ahead and take the test. I was expecting my scores to be below average at best, but ended up somehow scoring a 510 (128/129/126/127). Because I was expecting a worse score, I reserved a seat for the session this Saturday (7/22) and have been preparing since then essentially by doing as many practice problems as possible (but still working 40 hours a week). On most recent practice tests, I have not scored higher than a 512. Should I still plan on sitting through the retake Saturday? I don't want to risk scoring lower on this test, but also am not sure if a 510 is enough to get into programs given my other stats.

Cum. GPA: 3.8, Sci GPA: 3.7, 2 yrs. post-grad experience as a clinical research coordinator, published in a journal, many ECs and pretty good LORs.

What do you all think? Any feedback appreciated, thank you so much!!!

Hi all,

Just received MCAT scores from the June 16th session and am in a bit of a pickle. The week of the test, I came down with some kind of awful virus and was unsure if I should go through with taking the test at all. My fever was down a lot day of, so I decided to go ahead and take the test. I was expecting my scores to be below average at best, but ended up somehow scoring a 510 (128/129/126/127). Because I was expecting a worse score, I reserved a seat for the session this Saturday (7/22) and have been preparing since then essentially by doing as many practice problems as possible (but still working 40 hours a week). On most recent practice tests, I have not scored higher than a 512. Should I still plan on sitting through the retake Saturday? I don't want to risk scoring lower on this test, but also am not sure if a 510 is enough to get into programs given my other stats.

Cum. GPA: 3.8, Sci GPA: 3.7, 2 yrs. post-grad experience as a clinical research coordinator, published in a journal, many ECs and pretty good LORs.

What do you all think? Any feedback appreciated, thank you so much!!!

I know you'll lose money by not taking it again but unless you think you're going to get like 516 or better, for sure, I'd forgo the retake. 510 is great! Good job and good luck!

Hi, I'm applying MD/PhD and I'm trying to decide if I should retake. I got a 520, but a 125 on CARS (132/125/132/131). Does anyone know how this will affect my chances at top schools?

6/17 MCAT: 511 129/124/127/131
cGPA: 3.95
sGPA: 3.90

Lots of research( recently submitted manuscript to be published), clinical volunteering, community volunteering, and leadership roles at my state university. I am white, a CA resident, and 30 years old. Will the 124 hold me back? I will go to most medical schools in US if accepted. Should I retake to improve in CARS? Thanks!

In response to CARS related questions... it really depends on the school and speaking with someone in admissions would be your best bet. Some schools are so competitive that the only way to differentiate between candidates is by comparing MCAT breakdown. Others it doesn't matter at all as long as the overall score is within their desired range.

I got a 510 on the MCAT. 127/127/129/127. My science GPA is a 3.76 and overall is 3.66. I am wondering if I should retake as I would like to be competitive for MD schools like Rutgers/Albert Einstein/Stonybrook? Anyone have suggestions? I have pretty solid ECs (have done research for 3 years/volunteering/ shadowing).

I got a 510 on the MCAT. 127/127/129/127. My science GPA is a 3.76 and overall is 3.66. I am wondering if I should retake as I would like to be competitive for MD schools like Rutgers/Albert Einstein/Stonybrook? Anyone have suggestions? I have pretty solid ECs (have done research for 3 years/volunteering/ shadowing).

dont retake a 510

6/17 MCAT: 511 129/124/127/131
cGPA: 3.95
sGPA: 3.90

Lots of research( recently submitted manuscript to be published), clinical volunteering, community volunteering, and leadership roles at my state university. I am white, a CA resident, and 30 years old. Will the 124 hold me back? I will go to most medical schools in US if accepted. Should I retake to improve in CARS? Thanks!

nah dont retake but apply to a few more schools than u had planned

I got a 509 when I took the test last year - 127/128/127/127. I only got two interviews this past cycle and was waitlisted at both schools. The feedback I got from an admissions director was that my only problem was that my resume wasn't substantial enough, so I am kind of leaning towards not re-taking it. However, I didn't really study for it and I feel like if I invest the time in it I can score significantly better on the three sections I got 127s on (honestly I think a 128 on CARS is the best I can do).

I got a 509 when I took the test last year - 127/128/127/127. I only got two interviews this past cycle and was waitlisted at both schools. The feedback I got from an admissions director was that my only problem was that my resume wasn't substantial enough, so I am kind of leaning towards not re-taking it. However, I didn't really study for it and I feel like if I invest the time in it I can score significantly better on the three sections I got 127s on (honestly I think a 128 on CARS is the best I can do).

Dont retake and listen to the adcom. Don't know your EC's but if he says that your activities are weak you should strongly consider his advice.

Hey guys,
I just got my score back today and I am very anxious. I scored a 510 (126/125/130/129), but I do not know if I should retake it. I am in the process of applying this cycle. Please help me out. I have strong ECs, 3.79 cGPA, and 3.70 sGPA. I am also ORM. I would likely have to retake in September to apply in time. Any advice would be great!

Hey guys,
I just got my score back today and I am very anxious. I scored a 510 (126/125/130/129), but I do not know if I should retake it. I am in the process of applying this cycle. Please help me out. I have strong ECs, 3.79 cGPA, and 3.70 sGPA. I am also ORM. I would likely have to retake in September to apply in time. Any advice would be great!

No you are fine. Don't retake your MCAT.

PS. If "b.nguyening" is short for your actual name I would probably abandon that account and make a new one to maintain anonymity.

128/130/126/129 total 513

The thing is that I did TPR course to prepare and was getting 505-508 in their practice tests with the low outlier being 500. I did not realize TPR full length test scores are not representative of the real deal. But in the 6 TPR practice tests I took my Bio section was on par with and better than my phys/chem section. I felt like the official test was terrible for me, worse than my average practice test, and was very surprised by the score, which I thought could be in the 400's (had planned to retake 2 days after release date). If I don't get in this cycle should I retake next year? I'm nervous about the Bio section (65%), since it's the most important one for med school. I'm also not sure if I was lucky on the actual test.
GPA not stellar 3.5. Applying MD & DO, am just doing my secondaries now.
[& my CARS is consistently high; 85-95% in TPR practice tests. I studied the classics before premed stuff. My Psych/Soc is also consistently high, even though I think soc is often marxist pseudoscience.]

128/130/126/129 total 513

The thing is that I did TPR course to prepare and was getting 505-508 in their practice tests with the low outlier being 500. I did not realize TPR full length test scores are not representative of the real deal. But in the 6 TPR practice tests I took my Bio section was on par with and better than my phys/chem section. I felt like the official test was terrible for me, worse than my average practice test, and was very surprised by the score, which I thought could be in the 400's (had planned to retake 2 days after release date). If I don't get in this cycle should I retake next year? I'm nervous about the Bio section (65%), since it's the most important one for med school. I'm also not sure if I was lucky on the actual test.
GPA not stellar 3.5. Applying MD & DO, am just doing my secondaries now.
[& my CARS is consistently high; 85-95% in TPR practice tests. I studied the classics before premed stuff. My Psych/Soc is also consistently high, even though I think soc is often marxist pseudoscience.]

If you are happy going DO you definitely won't need to retake. I don't really see you needing to retake for MD though either...

Honestly a 513 is a solid score. 126 is going to be above any sub section screen a school does. Be proud! This is a great score and as part of a well rounded application will certainly get you on the road to being a doctor!! Apply broadly and smartly!

507 (126/126/128/127)
I'm sad because i was hitting 128-130 in practice tests for CP and 128s on CARS. My testing center didn't let me start until 10:00 so i was very anxious and think that affected my first two sections.

cGPA and sGPA are both 3.7
What do you guys think i should do?

507 (126/126/128/127)
I'm sad because i was hitting 128-130 in practice tests for CP and 128s on CARS. My testing center didn't let me start until 10:00 so i was very anxious and think that affected my first two sections.

cGPA and sGPA are both 3.7
What do you guys think i should do?
Actually, I'm envious of how balanced your score is.
Are you applying this year? If not, and you have enough time to be really sure you'll improve, I would retake. I think anxiety would affect CARS for sure, since that section is all about being clearheaded.
If you are applying this year, there are very few test dates left and 9/9 is sold out everywhere but Nova Scotia iirc. I'm signed up to re-take next Thurs 8/24 because that 125 BB hurts my eyes, but I am 90% sure that I'm going to void, if I even show up. My original test was on 5/18 and I had to go right back to work afterward for a very demanding client. I'm really in no shape to re-test right now. (Amino who?)
You're at 126+ for each section, with balance and decent percentile ranges, and BB as your highest subscore - which is the most important subscore. I believe you're in at least 10th-25th percentile range in all sections for even the very top schools. So if the rest of your application is solid and you're applying this year, I'd say go with what you have.
Let me know what you decide!

Last edited:
Actually, I'm envious of how balanced your score is. Compare to mine: 512 (127/132/125/128). Wanna trade CARS and BB scores? lol
Are you applying this year? If not, and you have enough time to be really sure you'll improve, I would retake. I think anxiety would affect CARS for sure, since that section is all about being clearheaded.
If you are applying this year, there are very few test dates left and 9/9 is sold out everywhere but Nova Scotia iirc. I'm signed up to re-take next Thurs 8/24 because that 125 BB hurts my eyes, but I am 90% sure that I'm going to void, if I even show up. My original test was on 5/18 and I had to go right back to work afterward for a very demanding client. I'm really in no shape to re-test right now. (Amino who?)
You're at 126+ for each section, with balance and decent percentile ranges, and BB as your highest subscore - which is the most important subscore. I believe you're in at least 10th-25th percentile range in all sections for even the very top schools. So if the rest of your application is solid and you're applying this year, I'd say go with what you have.
Let me know what you decide!

Wow that is an impressive CARS score. I would trade just to say I scored in the 100th percentile of that section lol. I took on the same day as you and thought that C/P and B/B would be my worst sections (I was right about one lol)

Sorry I wasn't very specific with the rest of my post. I'm currently applying this cycle and was considering a retake to boost me this cycle or help me with the next (if I didn't get any luck this year). I didn't know that there aren't openings left to test in time for this cycle, so I guess that idea is done. Assuming I didn't get an acceptance this year, do you think I should retake?

Status
Not open for further replies.